PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare On Elm Street movies

Green-Shirt Q
2011-08-25, 09:37 PM
This Halloween I've decided to dress up as Freddy Kruger after hearing that's he's going to be in Mortal Kombat. However, I haven't seen any of his movies.

I was wondering which ones were going to be the highest recommended for me to see. Mind you, I don't like scary movies all that much, and much prefer campy comedy-horrors, which I hear there are a few of in the NoES series. I just need to know which ones and which were the best and funniest.

I already decided I'll check out the original and Freddy vs. Jason (because I like crossovers) but any other suggestions?

Cyrion
2011-08-25, 10:09 PM
I've only seen the first one, but as I recall they were going for horror-not-camp in that one (at least that's the impression I carried away as a teen ager). I'm sure there are things in it that are campy by today's standards, but I don't think that was the original intent.

AFS
2011-08-26, 08:01 AM
I grew up with these movies.

Watching them as an adult I just laugh.

Personally I like #3 the best. It helps to be a big fan of Dokken.

#2 Is ok, but has one of my favorite lines of all time "You've got the body, and I've got the brains."

#1 Is good for nostalgic reasons.

Anything after 3 and they get even worse. My ranking is from good to bad 3,1,2,8,4,5,6,7 (I never saw #9)

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
6. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
7. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
8. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
9. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Keep an eye out for a VERY young Johnny Depp.

He is the one that dies in the water bed.

Serpentine
2011-08-26, 08:29 AM
Awww, I wanted to be the one to bring up Johnny Depp :smallfrown:
It was his debut. If I recall correctly, he was a bartender or similar, struggling for money, and then Nicholas Cage suggested he try acting. He didn't even go to the audition to audition, he went to support a friend. And then he got it, cuz the producer's daughter thought he was "dreamy" :smallbiggrin:

Giggling Ghast
2011-08-26, 11:45 AM
The Nightmare on Elm Street series is of variable quality, quite frankly. If you only seen the original film or the remake, I think you would have done sufficient research for the role. (They're both half-way decent, and these would be the easiest to get your hands on.)

If you really like campy horror, however, you have to get your hands on Nightmare on Elm Street No. 6: The Final Nightmare. The campiness was dialed up to eleven in that movie. (Hell, it opens with Freddy riding on a broom in a tornado like the Wicked Witch of the West.)

Keep an eye out for a VERY young Johnny Depp.

He is the one that dies in the water bed.

He also cameos in Nightmare #5. He does the "this is your brain on drugs" commercial.

Traab
2011-08-27, 09:01 PM
Meh, he looks more or less the same barring variations on facial scarring from film to film, so watch any of them to get what he looks like. Wear a red and green striped shirt, a fedora type hat, and make your face look like you went bobbing for apples in hot french fry oil and you have the gist of it. The glove might be hard to approximate, when I dressed as him I just bought a full suit from a halloween store. But that was a lot of years ago. I dunno if they still carry kreugar costumes.