PDA

View Full Version : Weregeek - The weres are out of the bag

Avilan the Grey
2011-08-26, 05:36 AM
So, Alina has finally pushed over the edge and we find out once and for all that their "geek forms" are real. I am not sure how I like this; the whole Hunter plot is the LEAST favorite part of the comic for me, on the other hand it is kind of awesome...

Mordokai
2011-08-26, 07:16 AM
It is my experience Alina is unwilling or unable to hold focus on that aspect of the story. I'm not particularly fond of it as well, but we'll see where the road takes us this time.

Venom3053000
2011-08-26, 11:55 AM
you spelled weregeek wrong

edit huh my pixie in the playgound went up to halfling cool

Starbuck_II
2011-08-27, 12:35 AM
I liked the RPG gaming aspect of the comic.

Turning the comic superheroey/actiony (though it was foreshadowed) is a mixed bag. It might be great if done well, but not if otherwise.

Friv
2011-08-28, 01:44 AM
I'm seconding the OP.

I like the Weregeek as a metaphor a hell of a lot more than I like it as an actual storyline, and every time the Hunters show up, I tune out. The games are interesting, the relationships are interesting, the Hunters are boring.

But I still like the comic, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and waiting a while. It's not as though it costs me to read it, after all, and when it's good, it's very good.

Venom3053000
2011-08-28, 11:53 AM
I've been wanting to see what th whole weregeek thing is about i can't wait for the next comic

BiblioRook
2011-08-28, 01:13 PM
Genre shifts aren't that uncommon, and sometimes with far less heads up. It's funny, back when I tried to make a thread for this comic the only response I would get was someone complaining it didn't go anywhere with the IRL stuff, like the hunters.

I agree that reading about reading about the in-game stuff is my favorite part of the comic (I think it pulls it off much better them most 'in-game' comics out there, and it even doesn't limit itself to just one game!), but I would hardly be amiss if Alina switches to a more Hunter/Weregeek focus as I trust her to make it enjoyable just the same.

Less concerned with the actual Hunter story and Weregeek training, I'm actually more concerned how it all will affect everything else. A veil have been lifted so to speak, you can't really tell someone (especially a geek) that they suddenly have superpowers and not expect them to go about life differently. Maybe that's what will finally cause Mark to break up with his girlfriend, if his keeping his geek activities from her is already causing strain on the relationship I imagine that the pressure of keeping his literal 'geeking out' from her would cause even more so.
Then there are the games they play and how they interact with their other geek friends. Hmm, maybe I'm just over thinking this.

Edit: You know, I just realize that they never really even explained the Hunters. Just why are they hunting geeks anyways?

Lowkey Lyesmith
2011-08-28, 07:22 PM
I agree with the OP here. I always found the whole idea of them being weregeek for real was a bit lame and greatly prefer the other storylines. However, if handled well it might still be good. We'll just have to wait and see.

On the subject of why the hunters are doing what they do I have always looked on them as a metaphor for the more conservative groups that consider roleplaying games and other geek activities to be abnormal and something to be scorned. The reason they do what they do is a representation of societies inability to cope with what's different. The hunters represent jocks, bullies and similiar.

However since the hunters and the weregeeks are definantly not metaphors that explanation goes out the window.

Mando Knight
2011-09-02, 05:12 PM
@ today's update: wasn't that the point (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyRight), Joel? :smallamused:

Mordokai
2011-09-03, 12:36 AM
Sarah is really creeping me out. And the fact that she has just turned into a vaguely Cthulhuian looking monster has nothing to do with it.

Avilan the Grey
2011-09-05, 03:50 PM
Sarah is really creeping me out. And the fact that she has just turned into a vaguely Cthulhuian looking monster has nothing to do with it.

Hey I called that a long time ago. To me it was obvious very early that if this stuff was real, she would be the most powerful.

The Weregeek as a metaphor is far cooler than it being real; on the other hand this really opens up other things, like the super-old vampire? Was it / he actually... real?

The hunters... The problem with them is that they are more and more coming off as well... really evil. There has not been enough discussion about why they do what they do; they just hurt kids. Because.

Now if they really believe the Were forms to be dangerous... why not try to expose them?

Oh and there is this other idea I have: If Geeks have a monstrous second half, why don't everyone that has a strong interest? After all Fashionistas are just Clothes-geeks. Racing fans are often Car-geeks... Not to mention the average teenager: Give him a playboy and he should turn into a super-charged WereSexFiend!!

Heck, I would be hilarious to have the Hunters suddenly face off against say a group of 6 teenage fashion and nail bloggers...!!

BiblioRook
2011-09-05, 10:52 PM
Oh and there is this other idea I have: If Geeks have a monstrous second half, why don't everyone that has a strong interest? After all Fashionistas are just Clothes-geeks. Racing fans are often Car-geeks... Not to mention the average teenager: Give him a playboy and he should turn into a super-charged WereSexFiend!!

This is actually a good point. I mean, the Hunter/Geek hybrid was created using the Hunter's interest in Professional Wrestling (hardly a geek interest I would claim, even if it is on the Sci-Fi channel).
If anything, I routinely hear about and witness Sports fans 'geeking out' far harder then any geek I've ever known. If anything I would imagine a jock with these kinds of powers to be far more dangerous then a geek. A geek would usually at least have the intelligence and interest (arguably) to try to control his other form (as is actually being shown happening) where a typical sport fan would probably be gleeful at the opportunity to break stuff faster <.<

TheArsenal
2011-09-24, 01:46 PM
This is actually a good point. I mean, the Hunter/Geek hybrid was created using the Hunter's interest in Professional Wrestling (hardly a geek interest I would claim, even if it is on the Sci-Fi channel).
If anything, I routinely hear about and witness Sports fans 'geeking out' far harder then any geek I've ever known. If anything I would imagine a jock with these kinds of powers to be far more dangerous then a geek. A geek would usually at least have the intelligence and interest (arguably) to try to control his other form (as is actually being shown happening) where a typical sport fan would probably be gleeful at the opportunity to break stuff faster <.<

I have to disagree. My jocks are nice. Thier stupid but thier nice.

BiblioRook
2011-09-24, 11:38 PM
'Nice' and 'Dangerous' aren't necessarily exclusive from each other in this case when you remember that we are dealing with an out-of-control alternate state that feeds off base desires. And Sports as a whole are typically more rough and potentially destructive then alot of Geek interests.

Fiery Diamond
2011-10-16, 11:44 PM
Okay... what happened to this comic? I was just going to check on it and... suddenly centurylink search pops up instead whenever I try to get to www.weregeek.com. As if the address doesn't exist anymore. What is going on?

Edit: Furthermore, even when I disabled the stupid thing, it keeps popping up. This leads me to conclude that the problem may not lie with the website. Curses.

Porthos
2011-10-17, 02:44 AM
Okay... what happened to this comic? I was just going to check on it and... suddenly centurylink search pops up instead whenever I try to get to www.weregeek.com. As if the address doesn't exist anymore. What is going on?

Edit: Furthermore, even when I disabled the stupid thing, it keeps popping up. This leads me to conclude that the problem may not lie with the website. Curses.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/weregeek.com

It's down at the moment. No mention on yet Alina Pete's Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/alinapete) though.

Morithias
2011-11-11, 07:55 PM
Just discovered this comic. Did an archive binge, love it all the way. Sarah is such a cutie! *huggles and gets stabbed* MEDIC!

Can't wait for the next update! Does anyone know the update schedule?

Also I like the hunter arc, it strikes me as kinda X-men like. While I didn't like the X-men in marvel due to the whole "hatred of superheroes" thing doesn't make sense to a large degree. In this it makes a tad more sense, they're not superheroes or heroes of really any kind. They're just different people. And people who are different are always shunned.