PDA

View Full Version : How does Xbox 360 memory work?

Lord Loss
2011-08-26, 06:18 AM
I'm currently a PS3 owner, but I may be getting a free, 4 GB Xbox 360. This doesn't seem like a whole lot to me, but I've heard something about not needing to install games to play, and that installing games makes them run faster.

How much space do average games take up if I don't install them? What about if I do? And should I purchase an external hard drive if I'm mostly going to be buying the exclusives that I've been wanting. I'm probably not going to get Live, not at first anyways.

factotum
2011-08-26, 06:36 AM
Pretty sure the whole point of the 4Gb console is that you only use the space for saved games--you don't install the game *at all*. How much space a game takes up thus depends on the size of the saved games for that particular game, which I don't have an answer for.

KillianHawkeye
2011-08-26, 06:37 AM
When just saving your game settings and other saved data, the space used is quite small. It seems to range from a few hundred kilobytes to a few megabytes. Game updates might also take a couple of megabytes.

In contrast, installing the game files can take several hundred megabytes or even 6 or 7 gigabytes depending on the game. And of course, any DLCs and downloaded games or movies can take up a considerable amount of space depending on what it is. Installing the game files still requires you to have the disc due to copy protection, but it won't read the disc during gameplay which can save on wear and tear and also reduces the noise considerably (especially on older systems, or so I'm told).

So based on my experience, the basic 4 GB system should be plenty if you're not interested in downloading games or additional content for games. You won't be able to install your game files, but for most games that shouldn't be a very big deal. I've installed more games onto my system just to not hear the disc spinning than to improve the game's performance.

Note that you automatically get the free XBox LIVE membership (if you let whatever Gold trial membership you may get expire), which still allows you to purchase and download content from the marketplace. The only thing you really need a Gold membership for is to do online multiplayer, or to use services like Netflix through your XBox.

Lord Loss
2011-08-26, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the information. It looks to me like the memory's going to be fine, as I'm going to be getting a tiny amount of games anyway.

What exclusives should I get? I've been looking at Metro 2033, Alan Wake, and I know I'm getting L4D or L4D2 as well as one Halo game or another, but apart from that does anyone have a reccomendation or two for good exclusives.

KillianHawkeye
2011-08-26, 06:48 AM
What exclusives should I get? I've been looking at Metro 2033, Alan Wake, and I know I'm getting L4D or L4D2 as well as one Halo game or another, but apart from that does anyone have a reccomendation or two for good exclusives.

I like Mass Effect. Also, Portal! I don't think any of the other games I own are exclusive to the XBox.

Lord Loss
2011-08-26, 06:53 AM
I'll be sure to pick those up. I was meaning to get ME and ME2 already, and i wasn't aware they had portal on Xbox 360. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.

KillianHawkeye
2011-08-26, 07:05 AM
You're welcome.