PDA

View Full Version : Fear The Valenar! A Campaign Journal

Andry
2011-08-26, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, I have been taking notes in the current game I have been playing in for a while now. So I decided to start a campaign journal. I'll start with the general background of my character and go from there. At the opening of the campaign Jalen is a Ranger 4/Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Scout 3 with the swift hunter feat. The whole journal will be from his perspective.

Jalen "Swiftwind" Norosumé
Background

Youth

Jalen was born to the battlemage Kira and the druid Thalos. He was raised in the ways of war from the day he could ride. He had no talent for arcane magic so he was put under his father's care. While excelling in woodland craft he did not have the same connection to nature as his father did. He was instead trained as a forward scout and a runner as we was unnaturally fast

As a young Valenar he was soon adopted into the Desert Wind warband led by the vicious yet supremely effective Aral "Sirocco" Tavil. Her training methods would leave Jalen broken battered in body and mind. Her methods eventually hardened him physically although he never really recovered mentally. When his training was deemed complete Jalen was given a necklace which held a tooth of one of his ancestors. This ancestor was Armariel "The Jaguar" Talandos a devastatingly effective giant slayer and ranger.

Last War

With his warband fighting for Cyre Jalen saw the tactics of the Sirocco for what they were brutal hit and run raids on mostly civilian targets. Where was the glory in this? he thought. Jalen volunteered himself for as many dangerous scouting and outrider duties as possible.When forced to take scouting missions on civilian targets He would try to mislead his commanders on the strength of the target without outright lying to try to steer the warband away from vulnerable targets.

Jalen was forced to join the main warband for an attack that was supposed to be an arms caravan heavily guarded by Karnathi undead. The reality was it was a column of war refugees. Jalen was close to his commander when she gave the order to attack. Enraged the young warrior screamed "Why are we fighting these people?" "There is no honor or glory to be found in this battle!" The Sirocco answered with an angry hiss "Know your place young one!" "Now join the attack!"With an angry glare Jalen turned and saw the carnage the Valenar were inflicting on the refugees

After a moment of agonizing soul searching Jalen dismounted from his horse and drew his double-bladed scimitar. He then shouted out a challenge to The Sirocco "Fight me warleader!" Fight me for the mantle of leadership!" Fight me for honor and glory for we wil find none here!"

What followed was a quick and decisive victory for The Sirocco. Ashamed and sorely wounded Jalen limped to his horse and rode off during his retreat he saw a Valenar mare without it's rider and took it with him also. He wandered for months eventually finding work protecting an Orien caravan. The Deneith mercenaries already guarding the caravan were impressed with his skills and offered a palce with them. He worked for Deneith doing various scouting missions for the rest of the war.

After the War

Sick of battle Jalen traveled to Aundair working on various horse ranches. Eventually he pulled up stakes and headed to Breland and eventually settling in Sharn. At first he worked as a problem solver until he earned enough coin to start his own horse/breeding/training business. While in the course of this he met a young Vadalis heir named Taryn. She said she was on "holiday" from her family. Taryn was quickly enamored with the serious and moody Valenar and her flighty happy go lucky personality brought a light to his gray world. They soon became lovers and business partners. They didn't make a lot of coin. Just enough to keep them comfortably lodged at a Ghallandra Inn and his pair of Valenar war horses stabled with a little on the side.

The beginning of the Campaign

Jalen recently has met a kindred spirit in the Valenar Druid Eliseri Aliqilla who has helped him with especially belligerent horses and the healing their wounds.

Jalen has sworn an oath not to use his people's ancestral weapon until he recovers his ancestor's blade therefore regaining his honor. He has contracted various wizards and clerics and they have all said the ancient blade is located in Xendrik. He is currently looking for some stalwart companions to join him on his quest.