PDA

View Full Version : Use for a Hyrda's Hide?

Gorfang113
2011-08-26, 03:40 PM
So my pc's just killed a nine headed hydra. They decided that they would skin it. What possible things could the do with it?

Andreaz
2011-08-26, 03:42 PM
A Hydraskin Necessáire, for starters.

I don't recall any specifics about it, so it's mostly your call. First things that came to my mind include:
Masterwork Leather/Hide Armor
reagents for spells
decoration

CTrees
2011-08-26, 03:45 PM
First thing which comes to mind is, it seems reasonable to homebrew armor which, if sundered, will self-repair. Would be cool, if not that useful.

Alternatively... I got nothing, actually.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 03:49 PM
First thing which comes to mind is, it seems reasonable to homebrew armor which, if sundered, will self-repair. Would be cool, if not that useful.

Alternatively... I got nothing, actually.

Armor can't be sundered in 3.5. But you can use a houserule or PF's rule that armor can be sundered like any other object!

stack
2011-08-26, 03:49 PM
Discount for enchanting it with fast healing?

Boci
2011-08-26, 04:04 PM
You could allow them to make 9 magical items that empahsis co-opiration. For example:

5 suits of armour. If one wearer hits a creature, all other wearers get +1 to hit against that creature for 1 round. Or when a wearer of the armour uses an aid another action on an ally, all allies who wear the armour gain the bonus.

Then 4 bands, two for each arm and two for each leg. The two arm bands give the wearer two-weapon fighting and the two leg bands give him a +5 on balance and tumble checks. When all 4 are worn he gains the spring attack feat, but can also attack with his off hand weapon.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 04:11 PM
Then 4 bands, two for each arm and two for each leg. The two arm bands give the wearer two-weapon fighting and the two leg bands give him a +5 on balance and tumble checks. When all 4 are worn he gains the spring attack feat, but can also attack with his off hand weapon.

You mean one for each arm and one for each leg. Two each is 8.

Vassago
2011-08-26, 04:12 PM
The source book is from 3.0 but I remember some of my players really liking this armor. There are rules for hydra hide armor in the Quintisenntial Fighter book by mongoose publishing. A quick google search found the exact information regarding the armor posted on the grand OGL wiki:

http://www.purpleduckgames.com/qftr5armor

CTrees
2011-08-26, 05:54 PM
Armor can't be sundered in 3.5. But you can use a houserule or PF's rule that armor can be sundered like any other object!

This is what I get for playing pathfinder too much!

Crow
2011-08-26, 06:18 PM
Masterwork armor that grants fast healing 1?

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-26, 08:44 PM
When faced with issues like that, I assume that it counts toward x amount of gp for the purposes of making an appropriately-themed magic item.

One of the reasons my Wizard PC in a game has kept pretty much every gem the party's found - I can almost always justify using one as a component toward crafting a wondrous item.

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 08:47 PM
Skin it?

Don't do that! If you dot that you can't make hydra zombies, which are neat-oz.

Pokonic
2011-08-26, 08:48 PM
A hydraskin tea cozy, for starters.

However, some sort of clothing that gives regen 1 would be nice, however.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 08:49 PM
What's a hyrda? :P

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 08:52 PM
Hyrdas let us deploy air units! Plus, damaged planes and copters can go there to recover HP.

>_>

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-26, 08:56 PM
Don't do that! If you do that you can't make hydra zombies, which are neat-oz.Why does a zombie have to have skin? :smallconfused: It's not like it adversely affects its ability to function...

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 09:03 PM
A zombie can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy.

10char10char10char

vampire2948
2011-08-26, 09:07 PM
So skin it after you zombify it. Problem solved.

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 09:13 PM
Something tells me that not good for your zombie's HP or NA/DR.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-26, 09:33 PM
Just don't fight Captain America, he'll be able to find you easily.

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-26, 09:35 PM
Another thought occurs... how much is mostly? Note that the Zombie template states that all it needs is a skeletal system.

In regards to potentially messing with said zombie's stats, you can make do after the fact by sprucing it up with some necrotech grafts. :smalltongue:

MammonAzrael
2011-08-26, 09:46 PM
I can see several options here:

Deduct them from the price of creating a magic item that could thematically use hydra-bits. This is a rather boring option, IMO.
Sell it for profit! Of course, this can lead to rather frightening things from your PCs if you start giving them stuff for body parts.
Allow them to craft (or have it crafted) into armor/shields with unique properties. Masterwork items that grant fast healing, repair themselves, slowly repair scars, etc.
Design a custom magical item with hydra-like properties, like the Dragonhide Plate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#dragonhidePlate) or Rhino Hide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#rhinoHide).

EDIT: I'm assuming their levels 7-9?

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 09:59 PM
Another thought occurs... how much is mostly? Note that the Zombie template states that all it needs is a skeletal system.

In regards to potentially messing with said zombie's stats, you can make do after the fact by sprucing it up with some necrotech grafts. :smalltongue:

The RAMS here for me is "No physical injuries beyond ones inflicted through HP damage, can't be missing major body parts (read:killed by vorpal weapon), hasn't had skin removed"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 10:00 PM
Just don't fight Captain America, he'll be able to find you easily.

Don't read comic books. Explanation?

Fox Box Socks
2011-08-26, 10:01 PM
They could fashion it into a jaunty hat. At the very least, it's an interesting story to tell at parties.

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 10:01 PM
http://marvel.com/universe/Hydra

The Glyphstone
2011-08-26, 10:09 PM
Don't read comic books. Explanation?

http://marvel.com/universe/Hydra

It was a bad pun - no matter where Hydra hides, Cap can find them.