PDA

View Full Version : If you had to...(3.5)

SillyBee
2011-08-26, 05:57 PM
build a 20th level fighter with the intent of sword and board, how would the feat progression go?

Any recommendations?

Greenish
2011-08-26, 06:05 PM
Shield stuff: Imp. Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Shield Slam, Shield Charge.

Other: Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip, Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Dungeoncrasher I & II.

Throw in Zhentarim & Imperious Command.

tacho101
2011-08-26, 07:54 PM
[greenish post] + add in resolute from complete divine or champion and you'll have a durable fighter

Bakkan
2011-08-26, 11:22 PM
Improved Shield Bash + Shield Specialization + Agile Shield Fighter for a two-weapon fighter that doesn't need Dex. Add shield spikes and the Bashing special property to your shield to bump its damage up to 2d6. Add in Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Power attack. Full Attack action looks like: Use your sword as an off-hand weapon (but only at a -2 penalty, thanks to Agile Shield Fighter) to trip your opponent, then make the rest of your attacks, including the one from Improved Trip, with the shield, power attacking to take advantage of the added chance of hitting a prone opponent. Grab Improved Bull Rush while you're at it and go Dungeoncrasher. This uses up 9 of your 18 feats, so you have plenty of room to add in Ubercharging or something else.

EDIT: Oh, you probably want to spend 2 or 3 feats on travel devotion for free movement.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-26, 11:31 PM
The ACF that gets you casting as a sorc half your level plus a lot of feats devoted to lockdown. Probably a chain tripping caster.

Midnight_v
2011-08-26, 11:47 PM
The ACF that gets you casting as a sorc half your level plus a lot of feats devoted to lockdown. Probably a chain tripping caster.

Where is that at?

Crasical
2011-08-26, 11:51 PM

Has to be sword and board, though. Chain is 2handed.

....Are you -sure- that's an ACF? You're not thinking of Armored Mage, which just lets you cast spells in light armor equal to your fighter level +1?

Midnight_v
2011-08-27, 12:18 AM

....Are you -sure- that's an ACF? You're not thinking of Armored Mage, which just lets you cast spells in light armor equal to your fighter level +1?

seriously never heard of it... sounds like something that would be mentioned a lot. So I'm dying to know where that is?

Sactheminions
2011-08-27, 12:35 AM
Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper and an animated shield?

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 12:45 AM
seriously never heard of it... sounds like something that would be mentioned a lot. So I'm dying to know where that is?

I don't think it exists, but it would be the best ACF ever. I did look into the dragon books for it, but I found nothing (seems like a "Dragon Warrior" option to me, but that's just my cool flavor that I'm adding to this mythical ACF).

It sounds so familiar to me too, since I messed around several years ago with making a dragon-like class and one of the features was sorcerer casting at half the class's level.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-08-27, 01:04 AM
[greenish post] + add in resolute from complete divine or champion and you'll have a durable fighter

I would also add Insane Defiance to increase your protection from domination. Just have a cleric or druid cast sheltered vitality on you or find another way to be immune to Wis damage.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-27, 03:26 AM
Where is that at?

A very good question, as I cannot seem to find it. Maybe my desire for it was so great my brain invented a memory of it.

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 04:45 AM
A very good question, as I cannot seem to find it. Maybe my desire for it was so great my brain invented a memory of it.

Let's make it "Fighter gets no bonus feats past level 1, each time they'd gain a feat, their sorcerer casting level increases by 1. This spellcasting ignores ASF."

Groverfield
2011-08-27, 05:10 AM

I could've sworn Armored Mage was for arcane casters that already had armor use via class skill (Warmage, Warlock, Bard) and just upgraded the amount of armor they could wear without arcane caster failure (Light > Medium > Heavy) and had nothing to do with fighter levels...

Edit: Found this: "Armored Mage (CM, p 32): lose medium and heavy armor, can pick an arcane class and cast in light armor, but only spells level equal to your fighter level +1."

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-27, 05:12 AM
And I could have sworn that Armored Mage was a class feature, and not a feat at all.

Groverfield
2011-08-27, 05:14 AM
And I could have sworn that Armored Mage was a class feature, and not a feat at all.

You're right... I was thinking Battle Caster. Turns out it's a class feature for those classes I mentioned plus duskblade.

Edit: Full quote, not just a list of stuff quote:
"ARMORED MAGE
Rare is the fighter who hasn't envied the wizard's bag of
magical tricks. Although even the most basic arcane spell
remains beyond a fighter's abilities, those who aspire to
such talents can, with practice, learn to cast simple arcane
spells while wearing light armor. On its own, this alternative
feature grants little benefit to a single-classed fighter; only
in conjunction with one or more levels of sorcerer, wizard,
or a similar arcane spellcasting class does this ability come
into play.
Class: Fighter.
Level: 1st.
Special Requirement: Knowledge (arcana) 1 rank.
Replaces: You lose proficiency with medium armor and
heavy armor.
Benefit: Choose one arcane spellcasting class, such as
sorcerer. You can avoid any chance of arcane spell failure for
spells gained from this class as long as you restrict yourself to
light armor and light shields. This training does not extend
to any other form of armor or shields, nor does this ability
apply to spells gained from other spellcasting classes.
This benefit applies only to spells of a level equal to or
lower than your fighter class level + 1."

So that doesn't work because he wants to go 20 levels of fighter.

Greenish
2011-08-27, 08:50 AM
Has to be sword and board, though. Chain is 2handed.Picking kusari gama or spinning sword might be a good idea, to gain a bit of reach just in case.

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 11:36 AM
Shouldn't this be a two-handed weapon build with an animated shield?