PDA

View Full Version : European Game (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Prendre
2011-08-26, 06:32 PM
March 1, 1000

It is a lovely Spring day in Reykjavik--however lovely those can get, of course. The flowers are blooming once again, the mushrooms grow tall from the earth, and the sun is slowly settling into its lazy summer halo around the sky.

The shipments of timber and other supplies from Norway have begun in earnest, and there seem to be more adventurer-types than normal arriving this year.

The harbor belches steam into the air, suffusing the city with wispy, if smelly, tendrils of clouds.

Clerics of all gods bustle throughout the city, with some particularly audacious ones preaching on hills and street-corners.

Despite the general sense of uneasiness, there is one exceptionally good thing about this day--fresh meat. The time has finally come to slaughter the year's first livestock. After a winter of eating whey-cured goat and fermented shark, real food is here again. The local go∂ar was kind enough to donate two entire cows among the various bars and restaurants.

The Hroturwurm Mead-Hall is well known as having some of the best roasts in Iceland, so it should be no surprise that it is full to bursting right now. The lucky dozens have gotten seats at the table; the rest must stand, or take theirs to go.

Among these lucky ones sit Bjortak Thorndalsson, the Dwarf; Radulfr Dalgaard, a young man with a glint of trickery in his eyes; Solveig Sigurdursdóttir, trusted priestess of Hermod; Njåll Tahllas, a young, sickly elf; and Au∂r, a young human woman with the look of wisdom beyond her years.

Relative strangers (although nobody's really too much of a stranger here), they nonetheless ended up seated next to each other, eating beef from trenchers and most likely drinking some sort of mead or ale.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-27, 09:20 AM
Having failed in a crucial task vital for her clergy Solveig sits in her chair brooding, fighting the past battle in her thoughts over and over again. She's completely oblivious to the joyous people around her.

whoiam
2011-08-27, 10:23 AM
Aislinn

Like Solveig, Aislinn did not share in the joys of most of the crowd nearby. Although she had not been present in Iceland for much of its winter, she understood why one would celebrate the oncoming spring.

No, she was moody because of the temperature. Her journeys across the isle of the Britons - and what a joke that name was now, ha! - had given her just long enough to get accustomed to a winter where stout boots alone could keep one clear of the snow.

Now, she was back under multiple layers of fur, shivering away to herself despite the heat of the harbour. Privately, she admitted to herself that things could have been worse - she did not know why the water around this strange land was so much warmer than it had any right to be, but she was thankful the extra heat was there.

She remembered the words of one of the Sveari she had met as a child - that she, in her winter clothes, resembled nothing so much as a malnourished bearling preparing to hibernate.

To be honest, if she'd been able to hibernate, it's a choice she may well have taken.

Instead, she was here, nursing a small quantity of mead and filling up on fresh(ish) meat for the first time since she sailed from the Pict lands.

While she had initially displayed a great appetite, after a few minutes this had subsided, until by now she was only collecting scraps of the beef - and most of those were being eaten, not by her, but by the Raven perched on her shoulder. If anything, the Raven looked even worse at ease here than its master did, but it had a warm perch half-buried in the furs on Aislinn's left shoulder and was disinclined to leave it.

At length, even the Raven was satisfied. With little else to occupy her time, Aislinn glanced around at the others on her table. Then she muttered (apparently directed to her Raven, but loudly enough for the others to hear, if they wished to): "I still do not know why we are here, little Fróðleikr. I wish the reason will present itself soon, hm? That way, I may be able to go somewhere warm in time for summer..."

Vladislav
2011-08-27, 11:18 PM
Bjortak

For a few minutes, the dwarf absent mindedly sipped on whatever passes for a good alcoholic beverage at those parts. Then, as if his break was over, he let excess drops run down his beard as he took a break to examine his surroundings and listen to the conversations around him. Oh his shoulder, a dark shape stirred, whispering its own observations into his ear. It was Flokt, his bat friend.

In the human lands, everything was so new and exciting. Even the ale was different - albeit, taking another sip, he had to admit, not for the better. Hearing the young woman complain in what seemed like boredom and indecision, made him raise a thick eyebrow. How could anyone be bored in a place like this?

Excuse me, miss? He gathered the courage to socialize, leaning possibly too close for comfort (he never got the hang of this 'social distance' thing), but I could not help overhearing. What makes you think there is a reason? Other than your own choice, that is.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-28, 02:24 AM
Solveig wakes from her day-dreaming, taking a good look at the people sitting at her table.
"Ah, excuse me... Aislinn isn't it? I overheard your name as you talked to our marvellous innkeeper over there at the counter. Pardon my curiosity but how come you're not accustomed to the cold?"

whoiam
2011-08-28, 03:39 AM
Aislinn
"Why do I think there is a reason for being here? Why, simple. I came here under orders. Frustratingly vague ones, I admit, but still under orders."

But then, Odin's always like that. Making me work out what I should be doing instead of relying on him to provide instructions. I think it amuses him.

"And at no point did I say I was unused to the cold. I implied that I dislike the cold. Important distinction."

JollyChris
2011-08-28, 06:24 AM
Radulfr
Radulfr is enjoying his mead and roasted meat after a hard winter, though not too hard thanks to his natural charm and other less savoury skills. He is on the look out for some fun when he hears some of his neighbors on the benches strike up a conversation.
"I agree with Aislinn, the cold is unavoidable but it doesn't mean we have to like it" and then adds, almost as an after thought "By the way my name is Radulfr happy to know you"

Burnheart
2011-08-28, 07:39 AM
Njåll

"Well i for one detest the cold" a thin and frail looking elf interjects "My body is quite vulnerable to its ravages" he continues before a sudden coughing fits seizes him "Like so" he says with a somewhat forced smile.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-28, 04:58 PM
"My name is Solveig", the charming priestess says. "Nice to meet you all. Can I help you with that cold?", she asks turning to the elf.

Prendre
2011-08-29, 12:09 PM
The clamoring in the hall gets louder. A human with red hair bumps into Bjortak, spilling what's left of his ale. The excitement seems to be coming from outside.

Vladislav
2011-08-29, 12:19 PM
Hey! Is this how you greet visitors here?! Bjortak jumps on his feet, stretching as tall and wide as his dwarven frame allows. In other words, more wide than tall.

Now, what in the name of Sygin's snake is going on?

Prendre
2011-08-29, 01:04 PM
"Great Gudrun's ghost, you startled me," the redhead says. "I'm heading outside like everybody else--everybody else who isn't hurrying inside, that is."

Shouting can be heard from outside the mead hall.
"I see no way around this..."
"Let them be killed tomorrow, then, but tie them securely now!"

JollyChris
2011-08-29, 05:19 PM
Radulfr hears shouts from outside the hall."Sounds like something exciting is going on" he smiles and looks at the nearby group "Anyone else coming to see whats going on?"

Burnheart
2011-08-29, 06:21 PM
Njåll

"Is there anything better to do around here?" Njåll asks with a shrug before standing "We may as well take a look at least"

SleepyBadger
2011-08-30, 07:27 AM
Nodding, Solveig follows the others outside.

Vladislav
2011-08-30, 08:56 AM
Bjortak

His curiosity thoroughly piqued, the dwarf joins the crowd heading outside. Wreaking horrible vengeance on the stupid oaf who spilled his drink will wait.

Prendre
2011-08-30, 01:14 PM
The group pushes its way out of the mead hall and comes to a crowd assembled around the remnants of a fight. Two human men stand apart from each other, restrained by their kin, swords and axes laying on the ground.

In between them lies a slain elf, blood soaking through his fine garments, a large bronze seax protruding from his chest. Clerics tend to the remains with oils and essences.

A group of elves stand nearby with their hands on their sword hilts, talking amongst themselves. In the front, an older elf stares down the two men.

The two men scream furiously at one another. "That is NOT mine!" "He PLANTED that!" "By Thor's goats I will have you pay!" "You will bear God's wrath!"

It is, in general, a tense scene. The crowd mutters rumors.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-30, 05:30 PM
Solveig steps forward. "What's happening here?" she asks calmly.
OoC: [roll0]

Burnheart
2011-08-30, 05:45 PM
Njåll

Upon seeing the dead elf Njåll quickly draws his swords and starts glaring at everyone "What happend?" he demands angrily.

Vladislav
2011-08-30, 07:22 PM
Bjortak gives both men a glance under his eyebrows. They both look the same to him. For the time at least, he doesn't really care which one of them did it, and whether both will be hanged. True to the habit of making his own agenda, he scans the men, the murder weapon, the elves, and the rest of the crowd, in that order, with Detect Magic.

Prendre
2011-08-30, 08:19 PM
Solveig steps forward. "What's happening here?" she asks calmly.

A man standing on the outskirts of the fracas turns and walks up to Solveig.

"That treacherous swine Ari over there is trying to frame my brother Hrafngorr for the murder of this elf." He shakes his head and spits on the ground. "If my sister had not decided to marry that man, my sword would give the ground his blood to drink right now."

Njåll

Upon seeing the dead elf Njåll quickly draws his swords and starts glaring at everyone "What happend?" he demands angrily.

The crowd backs away from Njåll as men from both sides also draw and turn to face him. "Stay out of this, elf. These are human affairs. Do as your elders do." He tilts his head back towards the stoic group of elves.

Bjortak gives both men a glance under his eyebrows. They both look the same to him. For the time at least, he doesn't really care which one of them did it, and whether both will be hanged. True to the habit of making his own agenda, he scans the men, the murder weapon, the elves, and the rest of the crowd, in that order, with Detect Magic

As his powers add a new sense to his mind, Bjortak examines all the involved parties. There are magical auras present...

...faint, and many of them. Some of the humans carry... nothing more than holy symbols. The elves carry the most, in their beings and on their bodies, and the victim carries the weak, deteriorating glow of an old spell.

Bjortak is particularly drawn to the seax, which also radiates a faint aura, and seems... familiar, somehow.

Burnheart
2011-08-31, 09:44 AM
Njåll

"A human affair?" Njåll replies sharply "I think not, an elf has been slain and dumped in the street like garbage" he glowers at the leader of the elves "and you let him claim its a human affair?"

whoiam
2011-08-31, 10:16 AM
Aislinn
Finally catching up with the others, Aislinn lays a hand on Njåll's shoulder. And quickly, she begins to whisper.

"If you should at a crowd of angry people, all you will achieve is increasing the number of dead elves. Possibly you will take some humans down with you, but this will hardly make you any less dead, will it? Check your temper and still your blade. Neither are useful here. Yet."

At a somewhat higher volume, Aislinn starts addressing the crowd in general. "If you are disagreeing about the truth of what happened mere minutes ago, would I be correct in assuming that none of you - save perhaps those accusing one another - saw in any detail what happened?"

SleepyBadger
2011-08-31, 10:42 AM
Solveig turns to the man addressing her. "Did you see the event happen?"

Vladislav
2011-08-31, 10:52 AM
Bjortak strides forward and stands next to the body and the two accused. So, you both say the other planted the weapon? he asks, looking up at them. He does not wait long for an answer, nor does he care, merely attempt to establish himself as an investigator of sorts. If they do answer, he nods thoughfully, if not, oh well.

He then looks down to examine the seax. Unless physically prevented, he pulls it out of the body and gives it a good look-over. His knowledge of magic was rudimentary at best; a bookish wizard could have done a better job.

Spellcraft to examine aura [roll0]

JollyChris
2011-08-31, 12:37 PM
Radulfr
Radulfr addresses the angry man who came to speak to Solveig "Why would Ari try to frame his future brother in law when it would only cause strife with his future family?"

Prendre
2011-08-31, 01:21 PM
"A human affair?" Njåll replies sharply "I think not, an elf has been slain and dumped in the street like garbage" he glowers at the leader of the elf "and you let him claim its a human affair?"

Aislinn
Finally catching up with the others, Aislinn lays a hand on Njåll's shoulder. And quickly, she begins to whisper.

At a somewhat higher volume, Aislinn starts addressing the crowd in general. "If you are disagreeing about the truth of what happened mere minutes ago, would I be correct in assuming that none of you - save perhaps those accusing one another - saw in any detail what happened?"

There is some general muttering before Ari speaks.

"I was in that bu∂ haggling with the elf when that dugga Hrafngorr came in and began lecturing me about my spending. MY spending! A fight broke out and blades were drawn. Hrafngorr must have slipped that seax--that I've NEVER seen before--into the poor elf during the struggle. Our fight continued outside where we were stopped by these kinfolk, but not before that wretch could slip some wares he stole from the elf into my pouch!"

The two men resume hurling insults, though with less relish than before.

Solveig turns to the man addressing her. "Did you see the event happen?"

"I did not. But there are several ways of dealing with this. These heathens probably want to do some kind of augury, though Hrafngorr and I would see it settled at court."

Radulfr addresses the angry man who came to speak to Solveig "Why would Ari try to frame his future brother in law when it would only cause strife with his future family?"

"I've always guessed he plans to steal Ásdis away to a farmstead here and never see us again. He seems to think we've mistreated her. Ari's a wrathful beast, ask anybody."

He then looks down to examine the seax. Unless physically prevented, he pulls it out of the body and gives it a good look-over. His knowledge of magic was rudimentary at best; a bookish wizard could have done a better job.

You have not learned enough about magic to even begin to guess, though you do notice a flame etched into the hilt, which is not the same as the fire symbol of Loki.

JollyChris
2011-08-31, 02:25 PM
Radulfr

Radulfr looks at Ari while he's speaking and tries to determine if he's lying.
Sense motive check: [roll0]

He then turns to Hrafngorr's brother and says loudly enough for Ari and Hrafngorr to hear. "Why does Ari think you've been mistreating your sister?"

Burnheart
2011-08-31, 02:30 PM
Njåll

Muttering darkly Njåll does as Aislinn suggests and sheathes his swords. Then after everyone has finished talking he says "So no one saw who killed him" Njåll points to his dead kin "and you two are arguing about not only who killed him but who stole from him as well?" Njåll narrows his eyes "Or maybe you both did it together?" he says with a smirk.

whoiam
2011-08-31, 03:33 PM
Aislinn
"Calm yourself, Njåll. Were this a co-ordinated act, they would not accuse each other - for their testimony would have one or other of them found guilty of murder, and either exiled or killed by the victim's kin. Indeed, were their testimony believed then one of them is both a murderer and completely incapable of escaping - and as the other is also under suspicion, escape with the 'loot' would be nearly impossible. You must admit, it would be a counter-productive plan, whether they intended theft or murder...

Understand, I am not saying that both are innocent. Or that either is innocent. Just that this was no planned conspiracy.

In truth, from the story they tell, I would guess that some unseen third party stuck the blow while the two were involved in their altercation: That in consequence, neither was sure who had struck the fatal blow, and both took the opportunity to blame their rival in order to save themselves. Either taking the coward's way out, or demonstrating a deep-lying hatred between the two that would have torn their extended family asunder sooner or later.

Still, this is only based so far on their testimony that neither of them remembers the Seax in question as belonging to the other. I suppose we should come up with some means of testing this before we go as far as apportioning absolution."

...yeah, Aislinn can talk. But now that she's finished talking for the moment, she moves over to Bjortak's side and examines the Seax herself.

Not sure which of these is relevant, but...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Prendre
2011-08-31, 03:45 PM
Radulfr looks at Ari while he's speaking and tries to determine if he's lying.

He then turns to Hrafngorr's brother and says loudly enough for Ari and Hrafngorr to hear. "Why does Ari think you've been mistreating your sister?"

The anger and contempt are clear enough on Ari's face, and make noticing any hidden meaning difficult.

"We keep her protected from the dangers that lie outside our small town... like the old gods. Ari acts as though we keep her in a cage!"

"You may as well!" Ari says back. "Where is she right now? Why did she not join you on your voyage to Iceland?" He looks at Njåll. "Elf, I would never do anything 'together' with that man."

Aislinn speaks

Aislinn has seen the fire symbol on the seax before during her travels, but can't quite place it. It's... it's a symbol of Surtr the fire giant.

With her statement, both brothers seem to be in agreement for once, though not exactly friendly--
"Yes, let us prove that it is that rat Ari's seax!" "Hrafngorr, you will pay for this once we've shown that it's yours."

The elven elder nods and steps forward. Looking at Bjortak, he says, "My dwarven friend, you have removed the murder weapon. Are you claiming responsibility for bringing the killer to justice? Or just unfamiliar with human laws? If the latter, I suggest you step back." To Aislinn, he says, "Odin has given you much wisdom, young one. Thank you for your help calming this mob."

To the assembled crowd, he says, "The elves will now claim the body of the fallen. We will see you at the court tomorrow if not summoned earlier." They move towards the victim and begin wrapping the body.

JollyChris
2011-08-31, 04:57 PM
Radulfr
Radulfr leans close and says quietly to the others "Those two arguing fools would have noticed if it was a giant. That means the seax must belong to a lesser worshiper so we'd better do all we can to find him." He looks meaningfully at Bjortak "That means you'd better claim responsibility it will give us a reason to investigate."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-31, 07:12 PM
If she has still access to the murder weapon Solveig tries to examine it as well, casting a Detect Magic spell.
[roll0]
And whichever is relevant:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Prendre
2011-08-31, 09:42 PM
If she has still access to the murder weapon Solveig tries to examine it as well, casting a Detect Magic spell.

Solveig:
Ack, it should've been a moderate aura on the seax earlier :smallfrown:

The seax radiates a moderate aura of... indeterminate magic. She recognizes the emblem of Surtr etched into the hilt.

From her studies of history, she knows that the worshippers of Surtr are a secretive society, rarely showing themselves. Their patron wishes to burn down the entire world. Aligning themselves with the fire giants, they are not exactly the good guys; they do what they can, in secret, to speed the arrival of Ragnarok, all the while stockpiling powerful weapons for the coming war. If they are showing themselves in public--as they may be doing right now, leaving this seax behind--something troubling must be going on.

Solveig remembers some things she overheard while entertaining at a weekend feast for a go∂i of... questionable morality. Olafúr Sigurdson of the west fjords. During a drunk moment when he had his guard down, she was able to catch a very interesting conversation indeed.

The cult of Surtr has been underground for a long time now, but Solveig knows that they've been stirring recently. Why one of their weapons should show up at this incident is anybody's guess, but she does know that they've been in touch with some clerics of Loki lately.

As for the seax, it's probably one of those assassin's blades she heard mentioned that is wielded by the more devoted worshippers.

Vladislav
2011-09-01, 09:26 AM
Bjortak

The annoyed grunt is barely heard under Bjortak's beard as he considers his options. If one of the humans did it and is trying to cast blame on the other - what does he care? But, on the other hand, if both were framed ... there's a mystery here, worth looking into. Perhaps the woman in the tavern was ... where is she, by the way? Ah, right here. Perhaps the woman in the tavern was right and there is a reason for them being here?

I'll take responsibility looking into this murder. He says, proudly stepping forward.

SleepyBadger
2011-09-01, 11:15 AM
"This is curious", Solveig whispers to her newfound friends. "That seax is a trademark assasin's weapon of the cult of Surtr, the fire giant. They usually work in secret, on the arrival of the Ragnarok of course, but I heard from other sources too that they had been sighted here and there which is very unusual for such a secretive organization. Wonder whether these two men are more what they seem. But of course it's also possible that they'd both been framed."

Prendre
2011-09-01, 12:15 PM
Bjortak

The annoyed grunt is barely heard under Bjortak's beard as he considers his options. If one of the humans did it and is trying to cast blame on the other - what does he care? But, on the other hand, if both were framed ... there's a mystery here, worth looking into. Perhaps the woman in the tavern was ... where is she, by the way? Ah, right here. Perhaps the woman in the tavern was right and there is a reason for them being here?

I'll take responsibility looking into this murder. He says, proudly stepping forward.

The elves and some of the humans regard him with surprise.

"An impartial observer is often best," Hrafngorr's brother says, "just--let us know who you are, and the responsibility is yours."

Burnheart
2011-09-02, 10:14 AM
Njåll

"We're going to find the killer then? Njåll asks the others "Good" he finishes with a satisfied voice before coughing again.

whoiam
2011-09-07, 08:10 PM
Aislinn

Smoothly, Aislinn steps into Bjortak's unexpcted silence.
"My name is Aislinn, Priestess of Odin. With me are Njall, Solveig, Radulfr and Bjortak." As she steps forwards, Aislinn takes the Seax from her unresisting acquaintance. "We will be your impartial observers."

Alright, so she was being a little free with everyone else's acceptance, but she had reason to believe they would all go along with it. E.g. They all had so far, and none of them were here to settle down...

Vladislav
2011-09-07, 08:41 PM
I am Bjortak Thorndalsson of the Grim Forest, and it seems destiny brought me here in time to witness this event. It seems, he takes a look around, there are a few more capable souls here taking interest. Let us work together then.

At least some of them seem to know the seax emblem, which I can't say for myself. We could use someone competent on this.

Prendre
2011-09-07, 08:58 PM
The brother nods. "So be it. May the hand of Tyr guide you to justice. We will see you at noon tomorrow, there will be a hearing in the square."

Burnheart
2011-09-08, 10:27 AM
Njåll

"We'll be there" Njåll declares, somehow making that simple statment sound like both a promise and a threat.

whoiam
2011-09-08, 10:46 AM
Aislinn
Turning back around to face Solveig, Aislinn remarked "Well, we're not going to be trailing anyone - not with Njall here bearing a face and voice like a thunderclap and something of a hair-trigger temper. So I think we should probably start by investigating these cultists you mentioned... I do not suppose you have any leads where they gather?"

SleepyBadger
2011-09-08, 11:46 AM
"Not really", Solveig responds. "Unless we can locate the people who I heard mentioning them earlier... but their remarks may have been based on rumors as well. I'd very much like to hear the story of the two men before I make any assumptions. One of them -- or both -- may be a member of the cult after all. Or not." After a moment of thought she adds: "I could check around, see if I can pick up any more rumors about them. But it's better if I wait a little while, the people are in a bit of an uproar now because of the incident."

Burnheart
2011-09-08, 11:50 AM
Njåll

"I don't like the way some people treat elves, is that a problem?" Njåll asks with surprising calm "I like even less my peoples responce to such treatment" he adds with a deep frown.

whoiam
2011-09-08, 12:40 PM
Aislinn

"If you're going to turn into a berserker every time an elf plays submissive so the humans won't have a reason to butcher them, then it will be a problem. Because it happens a *lot*. And I don't want my entry to Valhalla to be announced with the phrase 'Swarmed under by an angry mob'.

I think we should probably let Solveig try her contacts."

Burnheart
2011-09-08, 01:15 PM
Njåll

"Not everytime, just when humans argue with each other over the body of one of my kin" Njåll retorts sharply. "I've never encountered that symbol before but since it belongs to a group that hides in the dark places I might know where to start looking"

Knowledge Local check to try thinking of a good place to ask questions [roll0]

Prendre
2011-09-08, 06:43 PM
Njåll:
The elves have seen generations of men rise and fall on this strange island. They have also fought their fair share of blood-feuds with the settlers.

The Reykjavik Merchant's Guild has been central to a number of these--some members believe the elven colony's presence drives up prices and takes goods away from human hands, contributing to human hunger, especially during the winter.

The Merchant's Guild usually meets at the Brá∂rbergrisi Inn.

Burnheart
2011-09-08, 09:00 PM
Njåll

"The only group in this town that i know has a grudge against elves is the Reykjavik Merchant's Guild" Njåll looks at the others "They hang around the Brá∂rbergrisi Inn, maybe we should go and have a talk with them?"

JollyChris
2011-09-08, 09:20 PM
Radulfr
"Hmm if they have a problem with elves should you be coming with us? They might not want to talk to use if you're there too."

SleepyBadger
2011-09-09, 06:06 AM
"I will gladly talk to the merchants at Brá∂rbergrisi Inn before we try to go after the cult of Surtr", Solveig says. "The latter may be very dangerous, at least without the proper preparation." She then turns to the people still standing around the scene. "Does anyone know the victim's name?"

Burnheart
2011-09-09, 10:24 AM
Njåll

Njåll smirks at Radulfr "I could always try provoking them, if they get angry enough they might say something they shouldn't"

Prendre
2011-09-09, 12:09 PM
"I believe that was Luukas Sari, youngest merchant from the House of Sari," says an older woman.

Burnheart
2011-09-09, 07:33 PM
Another knowledge Local check, this time about the House of Sari [roll0]

Prendre
2011-09-09, 08:49 PM
The House of Sari is a powerful clan of Norwegian elves. Njåll knows from his childhood in the Icelandic colony that they moved some of the family to the island only very recently.

SleepyBadger
2011-09-10, 03:42 AM
"If he was from a merchant house we should probably start the investigation at Brá∂rbergrisi Inn. Curious, how does the cult of Surtr come into play?" Solveig thinks for a moment. "Who would like to accompany me to the inn?"
Solveig will wait for the companions who want to follow and proceed to check out the inn.

Burnheart
2011-09-10, 07:18 AM
Njåll

"We need to take a look at the victim and and his family, the House of Sari" Njåll tells the others "I know of them only from hearing talk about the home my family left to come here, they're a powerful group back in Norway and only very recent arrivals to Iceland" he pauses briefly before continuing quietly "Which could point to the Reykjavik Merchant's, they've had more than enough competition from the local elves and certainly wouldn't like a powerful outsider moving in and taking even more business from them"

JollyChris
2011-09-10, 07:19 AM
Radulfr
"I think we should split up, some of us should go to the inn and some should go see the victims family. Njåll you'll probably get more out of the elves than any of us. Are you happy with that?" Radulfr takes Ainslinn aside and says quietly "You calmed Njåll down before, please go with him and make sure his temper doesn't get him in trouble."

Burnheart
2011-09-11, 04:46 AM
Njåll

"Fine, I suppose I can do that" Njåll replies when Radulfr finishes "Anyone else coming?"

whoiam
2011-09-11, 09:44 PM
Aislinn
Quietly: "I did not think he would need such supervision amoungst his own kind... and I honestly cannot see any of us save Njall being welcomed into an elven household at this time... Still, you may have a point."

Regular Volume: "I shall go with you, Njall."

Burnheart
2011-09-12, 09:16 AM
Njåll

"Very well, where should Aislinn and i meet the rest of you when we're finished?"

SleepyBadger
2011-09-12, 10:28 AM
"So Radulfr and Bjortak, do you care to join me to the Inn?" Solveig asks.

JollyChris
2011-09-12, 05:50 PM
Radulfr
"Yes I'll accompany you Solveig" Radulfr replies. "Njåll makes a good point, where should we meet after we've spoken to the two groups? Back here?"

SleepyBadger
2011-09-14, 06:02 AM
"I think this place is as good as any", Solveig adds before proceeding to Brá∂rbergrisi Inn.

Burnheart
2011-09-14, 08:27 AM
Njåll

"Well then lets go Aislinn" Njåll says after watching Solveig and Radulfr leave "To the house of House of Sari" he calls out as he marches off.

I assume my knowledge local check told me where to find them

Prendre
2011-09-14, 11:17 AM
Njall:

The members of the House live in the colony--you grew up around them--but when they're in Reykjavik on business they rent out an inn on the North end of town run by the enterprising Signi Thorkelsdottir.

As they approach the appropriate building, they see an unfamiliar elf leaning on the front door frame, eyeing them and sharpening a longsword, his shield, bow, and quiver at his feet. He stops the blade mid-stroke and looks at Aislinn, then at Njall. Addressing Njall, he says, "May I help you?"

Everybody else:
Solveig, Radulfr, and Bjortak approach the Brá∂rbergrisi Inn. It is a large and well-built structure on the harbor, complete with its own piers and a series of budir along it at the North end. A longship unloads rolls of cargo and bundles of timber.

The door is open; several men play a lively game of dice on the porch. They barely register your arrival, though their eyes linger on the dwarf a bit.

Vladislav
2011-09-14, 12:17 PM
Bjortak frowns at this reception and gives the men a look back, his gaze lingering over them as well, penetrating, so it seems, down to their very bones.

activating Detect Magic, and will keep it on throughout the visit to the inn

SleepyBadger
2011-09-14, 12:35 PM
Solveig nods with a smile towards the men gathered in front of the inn and walks inside.

Burnheart
2011-09-15, 02:02 AM
Njåll

"You should be able to yes" Njåll replies seriously "We" he points to Aislinn and himself "Are investigating the murder of Luukas Sari, can you tell us anything?"

JollyChris
2011-09-15, 07:04 AM
Radulfr
Radulfr follows Solveig inside keeping an eye on the men outside.

Prendre
2011-09-15, 07:31 AM
Bjortak
You sense two magical auras, faint. One of the dice, and something a few feet behind the front door. There are traces of an aura heading inside as well.

The man on the right--they all look the same to Bjortak, but he's the one with brown hair to the others' blonde--shies away from Bjortak's gaze and resumes staring at the dice. One of the other two puts a die aside and rolls again.

As Solveig walks by, all three seem to forget the dwarf and smile back, watching her walk inside without hassle.

The entry hall is well-appointed, with some small tapestries and etchings depicting the valiant efforts of somebody or other against hordes and whatnot. Coats of wolf, fox, bear, otter, and who knows what hang from hooks to the left, and to the right is a shelf built for scrollcases, partially full. The room is well-lit from the windows, and unlit lanterns hang around the doorframe.

The next room is a large hall with a table and fireplace. A few men and women sit there, drinking and bragging. The man nearest the entrance, dressed in ornate leather and chain, looks up at Solveig. He smiles, puts down the meat he was gnawing on, and wipes his mouth.

"A priestess," he says, "what a rare treat. Are you buying? Blessing? Or...?"

Njall & Aislinn
The elf relaxes a bit and relaxes his sword arm. "We investigate the same thing, young one. Please, step inside. Your human is welcome as well." He opens the door. "Er, so sorry, Priestess. You fit the description of the one who calmed that mob. We're angry at a human right now. Not all. Please proceed."

SleepyBadger
2011-09-15, 07:36 AM
"... or perhaps a song?" Solveig finishes and looks around for a suitable place to start a makeshift performance.

Prendre
2011-09-15, 08:34 AM
The man laughs. "Please, please!"

Looking around the hall, Solveig sees a promising empty area near the left corner, or perhaps in front of the fire. She is starting to get the attention of the others in the room.

Burnheart
2011-09-15, 03:31 PM
Njåll

"What have you learnt so far?" Njåll asks as he steps through the open door and into the inn.

Prendre
2011-09-16, 06:50 AM
Njåll

"What have you learnt so far?" Njåll asks as he steps through the open door and into the inn.

"Not a great deal, I'm afraid. Those two ruffian brothers may face Outlawry for this yet, but... if it was one of their hands that drove the blade, it was not about a sibling squabble. Come."

He leads you into a makeshift office within the Inn. The walls are piled high with shelves and ledger books, and an open trapdoor reveals a staircase. Sounds of shuffling and clanking can be heard from beneath. Books and scrolls, large and small, young and old, litter a table. Several elves pore over them, elves you recognize from the crime scene.

The elf that greeted you speaks. "Investigators, Olli."

The elder elf you remember from the scene, now stripped of his nice clothes and wearing basic garments, looks up from an old book. "Young one. Priestess. Do you bring news or questions?"

Burnheart
2011-09-16, 01:01 PM
Njåll

"I know you, you're the one who was letting those two human jerks argue over Luukas body" Njåll exclaims when he spots the elder elf "Why did you let them treat it like it was all about them when it was an elf who'd been slain?" he asks passionately before falling into another coughing fit.

Prendre
2011-09-17, 06:04 AM
Olli Sari, the old elf, bristles visibly.

"That slain elf," he says, "was my son. I should suggest that how I react is my business." He pauses and rubs his eyes. "But I cannot imagine you came here to hurtle accusations against the bereaved," he says, and returns to carefully studying the manuscripts.

SleepyBadger
2011-09-18, 12:42 PM
At Brá∂rbergrisi Inn:

Solveig finds a suitable place to sing. She tunes her lute and sings about Guđbjörg Ogrebane meeting his first goblin.

Prendre
2011-09-18, 02:45 PM
Solveig
As she begins to sing and play, a few heads turn to listen. The piece begins to pick up after just a few measures, and soon she has attracted the rapt attention of all the traders by the fireplace. The men outside crowd into the entryway to peek their heads through the doorway, leaving their dice behind.

All in all, it's a very good rendition of the song, and the unique flourishes Solveig adds push it into 'excellent' territory.

SleepyBadger
2011-09-19, 05:04 PM
At Brá∂rbergrisi Inn:

Solveig smiles happily at the people gathered around her after finishing the song. "A truly beautiful establishment", she remarks turning to the innkeeper. "And what a knowing audience", she continues. "I hear a lot of skillful merchants are regular visitors here. Is that so?"

Prendre
2011-09-20, 12:51 PM
Solveig:
"Clever and talented, that is rare in a woman. You are correct," the man says. "We come here to eat and drink"--he looks around the room--"unload and store our wares"--he tilts his head towards the docks--"and recover from overzealous trading"--he rolls his eyes toward the next room, where people in various states of bandaging and splinting lounge around smaller tables.

"It is a suitable place to relax at the end of the day, or make plans at the start of it."

He stands. "I'm Håvard Olafssen, from Vik, by the way. I would be honored if you would join me for a drink, miss..."

Radulfr? Bjortak?

whoiam
2011-09-21, 04:22 PM
Aislinn
"I feel I should apologise for Njall's words. He is young and impulsive, often failing to properly marshal a thought before wrapping it in ill-chosen words for a public who prove to be less appreciative than he had expected."

I just called him young. I'm 17. The only elves younger than I am are still suckling..

"I can assure you, it was not his intention to cause offense during your period of mourning. ...I do not know if this helps you any, but Hel has always treated her Virtuous Dead with the finest of hospitality. I am sure your son will be rewarded in death for the manner he lived in life."

...Why me? I found it hard enough comforting my little sister when her pony died. How am I supposed to offer comfort to an ancient elf?

SleepyBadger
2011-09-21, 04:56 PM
At the Brá∂rbergrisi Inn:

"I'd be honored." Solveig smiles. "My name is Solveig Sigurdursdóttir. So what kind of wares do you trade with?"

Prendre
2011-09-22, 12:35 AM
Solveig
"It is good to meet you, Solveig," Håvard says, and he calls for two ales, and they arrive. "We trade any and all wares that arrive honestly--and we know the reputations of those who trade with us.". He sips his ale. "Mostly flour and timber, of course, but there has been good demand for quality weapons and canvas lately, and for more flour than we are used to. What do you trade in these parts?"

Aislinn
"I can appreciate his fiery words, I suppose," says Olli, looking up from the manuscript. "I worry that Luukas was not yet far enough in his journey to find favor with Hel--not to mention with your patron."

whoiam
2011-09-22, 02:05 AM
Aislinn
"That depends on the manner of his death, does it not? Unless he died in combat - and not as a bystander murdered during the combat of others - then neither Odin nor Freyja can claim him. Still, do not be downhearted. For all Hel's hatred of releasing her charges, she is not what you would call malicious. If your son goes to her undistinguished - and also unblemished - he will be counted as one of the virtuous."

Besides, if it takes longer to prove oneself virtuous than for an elf to grow to maturity, I doubt any human will have ever managed it. So its best if I, at least, believe it can be done young...

"To be honest, we wanted to know about your son's relationships. The bad ones. Records indicate that most murders are done by those with something to gain from the death (but only if the deed is not attributable to them), or wishing a redress of a slight they consider unbearable and which they cannot satisfactorally resolve legally.

...I sound like an instructional scroll, do I not? I apologise. I just meant, we wanted to know if you could think of anyone that might have wanted to see your son dead in a way where none of the blame could be attached to them. Our other companions are trying to trace the weapon, and we're looking for enemies who may have wanted the chance to use it."

Prendre
2011-09-22, 12:31 PM
"We are trying to do the same ourselves," Olli says, indicating the documents on the table. "Those Norwegian reprobates don't seem to have any connection to any of our families... Luukas himself had a few enemies, yes, as we all do, but nothing that hadn't already been honorably settled. ...So as for wanting Luukas dead, we have uncovered nothing. However, as for wanting my son dead..." The old elf rubs his eyes. "What have you found about the weapon?"

Burnheart
2011-09-22, 02:49 PM
Njåll

"It was a weapon bearing the mark of Surtr likely wielded by one of his followers" Njåll states after getting his breath back "So what does the house of Sari know about the Cult of Surtr?"

Prendre
2011-09-22, 03:40 PM
Olli blinks at Njall. "More than we would care to, I'm afraid." He skims over the manuscripts and pushes one to the end of the table, pointing at a paragraph. It describes a battle fought between Nyyrikki Sari and followers of the great fire giant, and is followed by a list of names, dates, and marks of silver.

"Elven blood feuds last... longer than yours," he explains to Aislinn. "Though this was all several hundred years ago; it has been quiet for some time. More recently we have had difficulties with the more fanatical elements of the Reykjavik merchants' guild."

A keen-eyed observer will notice a poem on the manuscript.
"A wide warp / warns of slaughter
Blood rains / from the beam's cloud.
A spear-gray fabric / is being spun,
Which the friends / of wood-eater's forge
Will fill out / with a red weft.

Now it is gruesome / to gaze around
As blood-red clouds / cover the sky
Shafts splinter / shields shatter
When the dog of helmets / devours the young duke."

Adapted from a prophetic weaving at the end of Njal's Saga :smallsmile:

SleepyBadger
2011-09-22, 11:33 PM
"The reputation of the people who trade with you?" Solveig echoes. "That sounds interesting. What kind of people do you trade with? I hear there are actually a few famous elven merchant families in town."

Prendre
2011-09-23, 05:21 PM
"We are willing to trade with anybody who's got an honest product, even with a few Outlaws--their crimes are never economic, after all. We're really more of a clearinghouse for imports than a shop. We make sure products are of a high quality and sold at a sensible price. As for the elves... They follow their own rules. Fierce competitors, with a quality product. They aren't members so they often undercut our prices. It gets problematic in the fall, when everybody is desperate for last-minute supplies... but we generally have an understanding. The most famous are probably from the House of Sari, an old family and very shrewd indeed. ...Shame about Luukas," he says. "He was one of the good ones."

SleepyBadger
2011-09-23, 07:16 PM
"You heard about the murder of Luukas Sari?" Solveig asks. "Did you know him personally?"

Prendre
2011-09-24, 03:50 PM
"We'd had our dealings. He mostly did luxury wares--clothes and lace, inlaid weapons. Excellent with his hands. Some of the elves understand that these are the goods they should be selling... But Hel has him now."

whoiam
2011-09-24, 04:44 PM
Aislinn
Glancing down at the poem, Aislinn almost smiles. Almost. Looking at prophetic verse was fun... until you reached the point where you suspected someone was trying to fulfil it. Then it became far more serious.

"So, you clashed with the cult in times past, but if the verse is to be believed, you failed to exterminate it utterly: What remains or succeeded the cult of your youth is returning to the light, and seeking to establish its control over the land... and with the son of the great warleader who cast them down the previous time now fallen, they will believe this to be the time to act?

I think that's what it is suggesting, anyway. I may have read that wrong."

Aislinn's going by the traditional 'Duke = Warleader' that most of europe would have learned from the Romans, instead of the modern 'Duke=Nobleman' version, which is why she assumes it refers to the elf and not whoever's ruling the island.

Prendre
2011-09-24, 06:25 PM
Aislinn
"That has generally been the reading, yes," Olli says. "The weaving is unfortunately lost, though our historians say it was handed down from our House's Norns. I don't know that I'd have called Luukas a Duke... his skills were more to the poetry-and-craft side of the kingly virtues... but perhaps the poet chose it because it alliterated nicely. You know how skalds can be. Not that I was much of a great sword-leader either--that was his mother--"

He sighs. "Assuming it's the prophecy, of course, and there is no reason to be certain either way yet. ...You don't have the weapon with you, do you?"

SleepyBadger
2011-09-26, 08:45 AM
"Unfortunately yes", Solveig says. "Do you know anything about his murder? Have you heard something here?"

whoiam
2011-09-26, 02:41 PM
Aislinn

"Not necessarily a local custom, but I have known some lands that would use a term such as Little Earl to denote the heir of an earl, not necessarily the successor. Perhaps your Skald was also familiar with the useage."

As she speaks, Aislinn retrieves the Seax from under her impressive collection of layers of clothing, and offers it hilt-first to the old Elf.

Prendre
2011-09-27, 12:28 AM
Aislinn:
Olli glances at the seax and shakes his head. "I've now seen too many of these," he says. "Assassin's blade from the Cult of Surtr. This one is certainly younger than Luukas. They tend to tarnish quickly, and this still shines."

He leans back, away from the weapon. "Be careful with that--if it's made in the traditional way, it wounds the wielder too."

Solveig:
Havard stiffens, just enough for you to notice. "I see now what kind of visit this is. We had no issue with Luukas that I know of, and our peace with the elves has been established with silver." He looks around and leans in. "If you suspect it was one of our Guild, I would suggest you begin speaking to somebody who is not a member."

Burnheart
2011-09-27, 12:29 PM
Njåll

"What kind of idiot wields a weapon that hurts himself?" Njåll asks suddenly "Also do you know what the wounds that" he points to the seax "leaves on its wielder?" he continues "We might be able to find the killer that way."

Prendre
2011-09-27, 12:44 PM
Njall:
"A cultist would be the kind of idiot you're looking for," Olli says. "Some nonsense about devotion to the cause, blood debts, sacrifice... it burns the hand like lightning."

whoiam
2011-09-27, 01:37 PM
Aislinn
"And on a conceptual level, you ask what kind of idiot wields a weapon that hurts himself... to which I would respond, 'What kind of an idiot sacrifices 10 of their men to defeat a hundred foes, and what kind of an idiot would tear out their own eye for knowledge?'. Sacrifice is the work of an idiot only if you have nothing to gain from it.

If nothing else, the willingness to suffer in the service of your cause is a powerful indicator of your commitment... and an often-underestimated sign of mental strength. Screaming your sorrows out upon the winds when life wrongs you is easy. A child could do that. Most of them do. Enduring the pain and remaining silent? Remaining focused, remaining controlled? That is a mark of mental strength.

Sermons aside, Olli, is there anything else about this blade we should know? Does it poison or curse its targets, for instance?"

Mentally, Aislinn was making a note: When they left the elves, she needed to find the two suspects... and examine their hands.

Prendre
2011-09-27, 02:18 PM
"Or the suffering a parent must go through to raise a child," Olli says. "No, the blade is designed only to kill... the channeling of Surtr's hate makes that straightforward enough."

whoiam
2011-09-27, 04:04 PM
Aislinn
"I've yet to try that one, but I thank you for the warning, " was the priestess' rather tart reply to Olli's comment on child rearing. "And you know... I cannot speak for everyone, but if I wanted to channel hatred, an injury sufficient to pain me but insufficient to incapacitate me would probably be a good start..."

Burnheart
2011-09-28, 08:00 AM
Njåll

"Is there anything else you can help us with?" Njåll asks the old elf "Because if not we should go and find the others and see what they've found out"

Prendre
2011-09-28, 12:41 PM
"Not unless you have any other questions," Olli says, making it rather clear that he'd like to get back to making funerary preparations.

Burnheart
2011-10-01, 05:56 AM
Njåll

"I don't, what about you Aislinn?"

whoiam
2011-10-03, 12:01 PM
Aislinn
"Not for the moment, no. I thank you for your time."

Stowing the seax back under her clothing, Aislinn heads for the door. Once outside, she waits for Njall to catch up with her... and the moment he does, gestures towards the nearest alleyway.

"I don't especially like the idea of doing this, but we're going to have to test it, " she mutters to Njall. "A light nick on your arm ought to be enough to establish if this does hurt the person who uses it - and show us what the wound looks like. That way we'll be able to keep an eye out for it later."

Its not like I enjoy getting shocked... but I've got healing powers, so I should be alright.

Burnheart
2011-10-04, 05:21 AM
Njåll

Njåll thinks for a moment before nodding his head once and starting walking into the alley "Fine. I just hope this isn't poisoned or something" he says quietly without looking at Aislinn.

whoiam
2011-10-06, 06:08 AM
Aislinn
"We can swap roles if you like?" Aislinn suggests, drawing the Seax forth once they reach the concealment of the alleyway.

Burnheart
2011-10-06, 08:39 AM
Njåll

"No lets just get this over with" Njåll says while holding out his arms for Aislinn to cut.

whoiam
2011-10-09, 01:51 PM
Aislinn
Without a further word, Aislinn braces herself, and then strikes at Njall's left arm a couple of inches below the shoulder. This is an awful lot easier when the foe stands still and waits to be hit. I'll have to see if I can arrange for all my battles to be like this one...

Aislinn deliberately uses the flat of the blade for the first blow, hoping to cause bruises rather than lacerations. After all, just because the blades were not poisoned in the day when the elves fought Surtr's cult, it did not automatically follow that they would remain unpoisoned to the current day.

Still, if whacking Njall with the flat failed to cause her burns, she would make a second attempt, this time with the edge.

Let me know if I have to roll for damage.

JollyChris
2011-10-09, 03:26 PM
Havard stiffens, just enough for you to notice. "I see now what kind of visit this is. We had no issue with Luukas that I know of, and our peace with the elves has been established with silver." He looks around and leans in. "If you suspect it was one of our Guild, I would suggest you begin speaking to somebody who is not a member."

Radulfr
Seeing Havard stiffen Radulfr quickly chimes in. "Now now we are just looking for information and heard you did a lot of business with his family we certainly didn't mean to suggest you were responsible in any way. In fact we have evidence the cult of Surtr was involved. What do you know about them?"

Sense motive check to tell if he lies:
[roll]1d20+6[/roll

Prendre
2011-10-09, 04:33 PM
Aislinn & Njåll:

We'll assume you hit.

As Aislinn smacks the blade across Njåll's arm, a burst of energy suffuses the whole blade and sears the flesh on his arm. Aislinn too receives a jolt that feels like it's going to leave a mark.

That's [roll0] damage to Njåll and an additional [roll1] nonlethal damage, and [roll2] for the burn on Aislinn's hand.

Radulfr:

Let's finish that roll... [roll3]

"The Cult of Surtr? I don't know much about them at all. Old legends, mostly."

You don't really get a reading off him one way or the other, though.

JollyChris
2011-10-09, 05:29 PM
Radulfr
"Hmm well what do you know about the two men who were arguing by the body?" Radulfr thinks for a moment "Have you done any business with their families?"

Burnheart
2011-10-09, 05:42 PM
Njåll

"Sif's mercy that hurts" Njåll exclaims after being struck by the weapon "Can you heal this?" he asks Aislinn while gesturing at his arm.

Prendre
2011-10-10, 12:35 AM
Radulfr
"Hmm well what do you know about the two men who were arguing by the body?" Radulfr thinks for a moment "Have you done any business with their families?"

"A Hrafnkelson and a Grannarson, I believe. A Norwegian and a native. They're both good enough families... Grannar himself had quite a temper, and it's certainly reflected in his sons. As for the men themselves, I've had no dealings, but you might ask around."

JollyChris
2011-10-10, 06:36 AM
Radulfr
"Thank you for all your help. Do you know of anyone here who might know more?"

Prendre
2011-10-10, 01:57 PM
Havard thinks. "I believe the Hrafnkelsons have a ship berthed on our docks, but otherwise, no..."

SleepyBadger
2011-10-12, 06:49 AM
Solveig sighs. "No, we certainly did not suspect you being involved in the murder. Yet the fight over the body suggests that others might well believe otherwise. Your future business with the family might be in danger now. In fact your life may be at stake as well if this turns into a vendetta."

Prendre
2011-10-12, 10:52 AM
"I will keep that in mind, and advise others not to jump to rash conclusions," Havard says.

whoiam
2011-10-12, 01:20 PM
Aislinn

[roll0] - spontaneously casting Cure Moderate Wounds.

"What makes you think I am a healer?" Aislinn asks... a point undermined by the fact that she laid a hand against the wound as she spoke, and it would begin to knit itself together again as Njall watches.

"So, now we know what the wielder's hand should look like... Shall we rejoin the others? I think we've gained everything we are going to from this blade."

That said, she still stows it carefully under her furs again. Just because she was done swinging it... did not mean she would have no further use for it...

Burnheart
2011-10-12, 05:18 PM
Njåll

"Agreed, hopefully the others will have found something as well" Njåll smiles and looks at his arm "Much better thank you priestess"

SleepyBadger
2011-10-13, 04:17 AM
Solveig
"Do you happen to know of anyone outside the guild who had business with him or his family?" Solveig asks.

Prendre
2011-10-13, 04:31 PM
Havard thinks. "Well... anybody who wanted quality hand-made goods would probably deal with somebody from the House of Sari. And I believe Sigurd Petterson was thinking of exporting a good amount of their wares."

SleepyBadger
2011-10-14, 06:29 AM
"Do you know where we could find this Sigurd Petterson?" Solveig asks.

Prendre
2011-10-15, 02:30 AM
"Sigurd's ship is berthed on our docks," Havard says. "You might try asking around there."

He finishes his ale with a swig. "Is there anything else I can help you with? I should really get along with the day's business."

SleepyBadger
2011-10-15, 06:05 PM
"Oh, I think me and my friends here would like to have some of your finest ale." Solveig smiles. "Or is there something special you would recommend?"

Prendre
2011-10-15, 07:08 PM
Havard stands. "I will have them sent right out, Solveig. Until next time," he says, and walks off further into the building.

A minute or two later, a woman walks by and places two ales on the table in front of Solveig and Radulfr. "Compliments of the house," she says, and wanders off.

JollyChris
2011-10-16, 07:32 AM
"Cheers" Radulfr says before gulping down the ale. "So what now? Should we go meet this Sigurd Petterson or wait for the others?"

SleepyBadger
2011-10-16, 06:12 PM
"Cheers" Solveig replies, enjoying her ale. "How about returning to the meeting place first just to see whether the others are already back? We could then move on to the dock with or without them."

JollyChris
2011-10-17, 02:52 PM
"Alright lets go meet the others and see if they've found anything. We can go ask at the docks later."

Prendre
2011-10-21, 02:06 PM
So our heroes return to the scene of the crime!

Over the last hour or so, people have largely dispersed, and only some blood on the dirt indicates what has happened. The are isn't exactly a major thoroughfare again, though, and the sight of three humans and an elf talking there turns the heads of passersby and draws some of the attention of those sitting on nearby porches.

Prendre
2011-10-21, 02:18 PM
So our heroes return to the scene of the crime!

Over the last hour or so, people have largely dispersed, and only some blood on the dirt indicates what has happened. The are isn't exactly a major thoroughfare again, though, and the sight of three humans and an elf talking there turns the heads of passersby and draws some of the attention of those sitting on nearby porches.

Burnheart
2011-10-21, 06:15 PM
Njåll

"We found out that the cult of Surtr clashed with the House of Sari in the past and something about an old prophecy they may be trying to fulfill" Njåll tells Solveig and Radulfr.

SleepyBadger
2011-10-21, 10:56 PM
"That's interesting... Did you find out more about the nature of this prophecy?" Solveig asks. "I guess that's already more information than we have. The merchants at the inn seem to respect the house of Sari. They gave us the hint to try and find a Sigurd Petterson at the docks."

whoiam
2011-10-22, 05:49 AM
Aislinn

"The basic version is that the death of the heir of the warleader who defeated the previous uprising of Surtr's followers will herald the start of their next uprising. And guess whose mother lead the elven forces against the Cult last time around?

It sounds, to me at least, an awful lot like our Merchant was fated to die as a call to arms for the cult. Still, this may offer us certain advantages. The most hopeful is that by actively killing him instead of waiting for fate to do so, the Cult may have attempted to start their prophecy too early - that they may not be quite ready enough for the war they are planning. Also, if we're quick enough, we may be able to recognise the assassin from the marks on his hands. These marks."

Aislinn holds out the burn-scarred hand for the others to examine.

"I tried using the cultist's Seax, and this was the result. A quick check of the state of their hands ought to be enough to establish the innocence of the two feuding brothers-in-law, at least..."

JollyChris
2011-10-22, 08:49 AM
Radulfr
"That sounds very bad, an uprising by the cult of Surtr will be very bloody. Did the elves know any more about the cult?" After examining the marks on Aislinn's hands he asks. "Will the marks last till tomorrow? Maybe we should go see the soon to be brothers now just in case."

Burnheart
2011-10-22, 02:46 PM
Njåll

"Radulfr makes a good point" Njåll says slowly "We don't know how long the burn marks last so if we're going to try using them as evidence we should do so swiftly"

SleepyBadger
2011-10-22, 02:48 PM
"Curious" Solveig remarks having a look at the scars. "Are you sure everyone would have these marks after using the blade? What if Surtr's followers are immune to this effect?" After thinking for a moment she adds: "Have you tried to heal it? Do you want me to have a go at it?"

Burnheart
2011-10-24, 03:10 AM
Njåll

"From what Luukas father told us the blades are designed to harm their wielders as an offering to Surtr, so i think it would hurt the cultists too" Njåll replies before beginning to cough again.

SleepyBadger
2011-10-24, 03:31 PM
"What's wrong with you, Njåll? Have you caught a cold? Are you too sure you don't need healing?" Solveig asks.

Burnheart
2011-10-24, 04:45 PM
Njåll

"I'm always like this, it's nothing you can cure with magic" Njåll replies after recovering "I only just survived a bad case of plague when i was a child and it left my body weak and frail, i always seem to have something or another so i've learned to live with it"

whoiam
2011-10-24, 05:54 PM
Aislinn
"No, I have not attempted to heal it, and no, I do not wish you to make the attempt. Once our hunt is completed, I will do so myself.

It does not yet appear to be healing of its own volition - a natural burn will take a number of days to heal and will still leave a scar at the end.

Still, no particular reason to delay. If we are to examine the brothers again, we may as well do it soon."

Burnheart
2011-10-25, 04:33 AM
Njåll

"Hmm where would those two be now?" Njåll muses quietly to himself.

Knowledge local check to find Ari and Hrafngorr [roll0]

JollyChris
2011-10-25, 11:19 AM
Radulfr
"Hmm i've just realised that Hrafngorr mentioned something about the old gods. I wonder if he and his kin know something about this?"

Prendre
2011-10-25, 12:13 PM
Njåll
You don't exactly know where they are, but given the judicial customs in human lands, they're probably not too far away, staying with allies.

Burnheart
2011-10-25, 02:55 PM
Njåll

"What was Hrafngorr's family name? They would know where to find him"

SleepyBadger
2011-10-25, 11:26 PM
"I agree that this task has priority" Solveig says after hearing out the others. "But afterwards we should try and find Sigurd Petterson too. What if we just ask around for directions for Ari and Hrafngorr?"
[roll0]

Prendre
2011-10-26, 12:16 AM
Solveig:
After asking around for a few minutes, you learn that subjects of inquiry usually stay pretty close to the scene. Ari Jacobson is staying with his family on the outskirts of town, and Hrafngorr Bjornson is with his trade group near the docks.

SleepyBadger
2011-10-28, 04:50 AM
"II think I found some interesting tidbits of information" Solveig tells the others after returning to their side. "The family name of Hrafngorr is Bjornson and he is very likely to be at the docks which comes in handy if we want to pay a visit to Sigurd Petterson too. Or we can check out Ari's family on the outskirts of town."

JollyChris
2011-10-28, 06:35 AM
Radulfr
"Hmm then we should visit Ari's family first. Then we can go and see Petterson after we've talked to Hrafngorr and his family."

Burnheart
2011-10-28, 11:50 AM
Njåll

"Seems logical to me" Njåll adds "Shall we go see Ari then?"

SleepyBadger
2011-10-30, 01:29 AM
"Sure, that's fine with me", Solveig says. "Let's pay Ari a visit."

Prendre
2011-11-01, 04:06 PM
You make your way through town, past shops, carts, arguments, and halls, few people paying you any attention, though you do get the occasional glance of recognition for your activities at the crime scene.

In a half hour or so you reach the Jacobson stead, about a mile North of what you might call 'downtown'. It borders on a horse-field. A man you think you saw during the altercation sits on the porch, polishing his shield. He looks up, surprised. "What brings you here?"

JollyChris
2011-11-01, 07:03 PM
Radulfr
"We're the group responsible for bringing to justice the murderer of the elf Luukas Sari. We had some questions for Ari, may we speak to him?"

Prendre
2011-11-02, 10:43 AM
He looks you all over, lingering a bit on Njåll. "Yes... he is inside. Wait here and I'll get him." He disappears into the house.

SleepyBadger
2011-11-02, 12:06 PM
"Let's hope we get some information out of him", Solveig whispers. "I have a bad feeling about this..."

Burnheart
2011-11-02, 06:21 PM
Njåll

"i'm hoping he does decide to be difficult" Njåll says softly "I'd welcome a chance to teach him a lesson about elven worth"

Prendre
2011-11-03, 07:58 PM
After a brief wait, the door opens again and Ari Jacobson comes out flanked by two armed men. They look you over. Ari relaxes slightly as he recognizes you as the people who helped break up the fight earlier.

"I presume you have come here to speak with me."

Burnheart
2011-11-06, 07:13 AM
Njåll

"Thats right" Njåll loudly declares before stepping forward to stand in front of the others "Now show us your hands please"

Prendre
2011-11-06, 01:42 PM
Ari looks surprised, then shrugs. "Very well," he says. He steps off the porch and puts his hands out.

Burnheart
2011-11-06, 04:10 PM
Njåll

Njåll leans forward to examine Ari's palms.

Spot check [roll0]

Prendre
2011-11-06, 04:17 PM
Njåll sees some scrapes and minor lacerations, and the caluses of a farmer. Signs of a struggle, yes, but nothing like the marks from the blade.

Burnheart
2011-11-07, 05:01 AM
Njåll

"Well thats fine then, do any of you lot have questions for Ari?"

SleepyBadger
2011-11-07, 05:42 AM
"Could you tell us what you know about the Cult of Surtr?" Solveig asks.

Prendre
2011-11-07, 12:47 PM
"Surtr?" Ari says. "I can tell you that they want the world to burn, but not much else, I'm afraid. Why--have they been active?" he asks with a bit of alarm.

Burnheart
2011-11-07, 04:23 PM
Njåll

"Hmm you mean you didn't know?"

Sense Motive check to see Ari's alarm is genuine [roll0]

Prendre
2011-11-07, 04:53 PM
Njåll:
You're pretty sure he's legitimately surprised, and sense a bit of defensiveness, possibly due to being questioned by an elf.

"I'm sure news would have spread if such a group were known to be assembling here."

SleepyBadger
2011-11-07, 06:04 PM
"You did know the victim, didn't you?" Solveig asks calmly.

Prendre
2011-11-07, 06:34 PM
"I'd had dealings with him before. He's been making clothes suitable as fine gifts since I can remember. What do you think I was doing in his bu∂?" he says, a little more defensively this time.

whoiam
2011-11-07, 07:38 PM
Aislinn
"Brawling with the family." Aislinn's reply was a touch laconic, and seemed rather amused. "All right thinking peoples know that the best place for some in-fighting is on the property of a third party. Who would want their domestic argument to wreck their own property?"

SleepyBadger
2011-11-08, 06:56 PM
"What exactly were you doing in his bu∂ this time?" Solveig asks while studying the man's reactions carefully.

Prendre
2011-11-08, 09:34 PM
Ari laughs. "Please. If I had intended to have a fight I would have had it in somebody else's mead hall--now that would make a mess," he says, then turns somber again. To Solveig: "If you must know, we were discussing a cloak I wanted made, until that brute Hrafngorr barged in."

SleepyBadger
2011-11-09, 05:34 PM
"And what happened next?" Solveig inquires.

Prendre
2011-11-10, 12:05 AM
"You know this. We had an argument, then we had a fight, and then the elf died."

Burnheart
2011-11-10, 08:28 AM
Njåll

What was the argument about?" Njåll asks with a cough.

Prendre
2011-11-11, 03:37 PM
"It is like I said. He does not want me to be with his sister, and uses any excuse to insult me. This time he thought clothing was an inappropriate expenditure. Not like it's his business."

SleepyBadger
2011-11-13, 03:40 PM
"So the argument was about clothing? Made by Luukas Sari?" Solveig asks.

Prendre
2011-11-14, 05:53 PM
"When you put it like that it makes us seem quite foolish--but yes, that is how it began."

SleepyBadger
2011-11-14, 06:32 PM
"In front of the mead hall you said Hrafngorr must have killed Luukas during your fight" Solveig recalls. "Do you find this realistic? Could he have attacked the elf without you seeing it? If so, do you think the whole fight was staged? Can you remember exactly who began the argument?"

Prendre
2011-11-15, 02:46 AM
Ari takes a half-step backward and stiffens. "I assure you that Hrafngorr started the argument."

He looks at Solveig. "Hrafngorr is not exactly known as a fast fighter. I did not see him stab the elf, nor did I see anybody else; I can assure you that I did not do it. What are you suggesting?"

Burnheart
2011-11-15, 11:20 AM
Njåll

"Well you see the weapon that we pull out of Luukas Sari's body, which we are assuming is what killed him, bares the mark of the cult of Surtr" Njåll says in a firm voice "It also leaves quite distinct markings on the palms of its wielders hands, marks which we have already confirmed you don't have so we are confident your not the killer" a steely glint enters his eyes before Njåll adds "That does not means to say that either you or one of your people might not be involved however"

SleepyBadger
2011-11-15, 01:04 PM
"So why did you accuse him of murdering the elf if you didn't actually see him stabbing Luukas with the seax? Especially as you know him for being a slow fighter?" Solveig inquires.

Prendre
2011-11-15, 03:02 PM
Ari glares at Njåll and then sighs. "Have you never despised somebody? Of course I would accuse Hrafngorr. But you are not wrong to suspect somebody else as well."

Burnheart
2011-11-15, 03:45 PM
Njåll

"If you are not involved in this then would you please answer the following questions, first who's idea was it for you to visit Luukas Sari's bu∂ today? and who knew that you would be there?" Njåll asks before once again coughing.

Prendre
2011-11-15, 05:05 PM
"It was entirely my own idea. I had been asking friends and family for their input on what to order, as it was supposed to be a gift to my betrothed, so a number of people would have been able to figure out I was heading there soon."

Burnheart
2011-11-17, 04:29 PM
Njåll

"So your entire household could have passed the knowledge of your whereabouts to the cult or Hrafngorr then?" Njåll thinks for a moment before turning to the others and asking "I can't think of anymore questions for Ari can you?"

whoiam
2011-11-17, 07:35 PM
Aislinn
Quietly, the priestess coughs to gain the others' attention. "Or, someone who wanted to kill Luukas could have simply waited near the bu∂ for enough of a distraction to do it unnoticed. Try not to invent complications needlessly. We've enough to investigate as it is without imagining more.

I agree, though. I think we are about finished with Ari."

SleepyBadger
2011-11-19, 08:05 AM
Solveig nods. "I think so too. Thank you for the assistance, Ari."

Prendre
2011-11-19, 04:42 PM
Ari bids you farewell and goes back inside as you turn to leave.

After another hour or so of uneventful walking, you return to downtown Reykjavik, which has calmed down considerably as people enter an afternoon lull. You make your way to the docks by the merchants' guild. There is a fair bit of activity as people aim to unload their cargos before it gets too cold.

Burnheart
2011-11-20, 03:18 AM
Njåll

Njåll scans the docks trying to notice anything unusal while asking the others "Which ship is Hrafngorr's?"

Spot check [roll0]
Listen check [roll1]

Prendre
2011-11-20, 03:33 PM
Njåll:

Unfortunately, you don't notice much. A few of the people passing you are discussing where to store lumber.

SleepyBadger
2011-11-21, 07:10 AM
Solveig will look for Hrafngorr and his trade group too.
[roll0]
[roll1]
OoC edit: I guess she accidently steps into the water or something :-D

Prendre
2011-11-21, 03:35 PM
Solveig thinks she sees Hrafngorr, but on closer inspection it turns out to be a puffin.

SleepyBadger
2011-11-22, 06:56 AM
"I must be really tired" Solveig murmurs, finally being able to take her eyes off the puffin. "Could you please keep your eyes and ears open while I'm trying to ask for directions here?"
OoC: If there are people around she will try to gather information regarding Hrafngorr and his trade group.
[roll0]

Burnheart
2011-11-22, 08:43 AM
Njåll

"Of course Milady" Njåll replies while casting his eyes of the docks once again.

I assume some time will have passed since the last checks so
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

whoiam
2011-11-23, 01:35 PM
[roll0] -- To identify Hrafngorr's ship
[roll1] -- To identify anyone Hrafngorr regularly does business with (i.e., anywhere to get directions other than 'off random passers by')
[roll2] -- To know a good place to find drinking sailors (that is, all sailors)

[roll3]
[roll4]

Hopefully I'll ace one of the Lore rolls...

So, all I get is 'common, known to at least a substantial minority of the population' - which, unless Hrafngorr is famous, will mean she can get the sailors' drinking spots but not the other two.

Prendre
2011-11-25, 06:36 PM
Njåll
You are able to hear several passing conversations. Eventually, one of them even seems relevant! It concerns rumors about the Luukas Sari case as the participants look curiously at a boat towards the end of the docks.

Solveig
You spend about twenty minutes asking around the pier and most people who know anything look at you a bit suspiciously and indicate the second-to-last pier on the docks.

Aislinn
It is well-known that the merchant sailors drink at the merchant's guild; it is much less well-known that they semi-regularly host some pretty weird parties in the cellar.

Everyone
'Tis a holiday this weekend, so I apologize for the sporadicity.

Burnheart
2011-11-26, 07:17 AM
Njåll

"It seems Hrafngorr's ship is at the end of the docks" Njåll remarks before turning and asking the others "Shall we go?"

SleepyBadger
2011-11-27, 05:13 AM
"That's right, I was advised to go to the second-to-last pier, too" Solveig nods. "Although this guy is certainly not the most popular fellow here, given the reactions of the locals. Can we go?"

Burnheart
2011-11-27, 05:05 PM
Njåll

"Then lets go" Njåll says before marching off to the ship at at the second to last pier "We are looking for Hrafngorr" he calls out when he reaches the pier and stands facing the ship.

Prendre
2011-11-27, 06:23 PM
There is some thudding and crashing below the deck of the boat, and then a man emerges, carrying a small barrel. You recognize before you Hraffngorr, as he looked after the fight but with bandaged hands. ""Ah, I suppose you have come to interview me about the incident."

Burnheart
2011-11-28, 04:55 AM
Njåll

"That is correct" Njåll replies, his eyes narrowing at the sight of the bandages wrapped around Hraffngorr hands "Could you please tell us what happend?"

Prendre
2011-11-28, 03:41 PM
Hraffngorr follows Njåll's gaze to his hands. "...these? Rope burn taking down the sail. We lost crew on the voyage, so we're undermanned--I don't usually have such duties." He chuckles. "What would you like to know?"

Burnheart
2011-11-29, 02:23 PM
Njåll

"Very well then, could you please tell us what happend earlier in Luukas Sari's bu∂?"

I'll roll sense motive to see if Hraffngorr is lying about his hands [roll0]

Prendre
2011-11-29, 02:54 PM
Njåll:
Between the chuckling and the casual attitude, it's obvious that something's off--he's obviously uncomfortable to be having this discusion, and definitely not telling you the whole story regarding his hands.

(He rolled a 1 on his bluff check! :smalltongue:)

"I saw that Ari was in the bu∂ with the elf, and overheard them arguing fiercely over the price of something--and what a price it was. I listened further and learned that he was planning to spend such money on an extravagance like clothing--a man that careless with money would be just as careless in marriage--and I went in to confront him. There was a fight..." He pauses to think. "The elf died. It's a bit of a blur, as fights usually are."

Burnheart
2011-11-30, 02:34 PM
Njåll

"Of course i understand, why i can barely remember the time i first killed a man" Njåll replies when Hraffngorr finishes "He was a human who tried to.... force himself on one of my cousins" he continues nonchalantly as though discussing the weather "His friends learned a lesson about mistreating elves that day" He smiles at Hraffngorr "Not that anyone here has to worry about such things, if your hands are such a bother to you maybe one of the priestesses can take a look, perhaps there is anything they can do to help?"

Roll intimidate check [roll0]

Prendre
2011-11-30, 03:18 PM
Hrafngorr clears his throat and scratches nervously around his bandages.

"I... suppose, if you're offering to heal my hands, it would help me finish unloading the cargo..."

whoiam
2011-11-30, 03:48 PM
Aislinn

"That's strange, I can remember my first fight perfectly. Then again... I do have something to remind me of the occasion." Apparently unconsciously, Aislinn taps the patch over her missing eye. "Or not, as the case technically is. Show me your hands, then, sailor, and Odin shall make them whole."

Prendre
2011-11-30, 04:12 PM
With a glance at Njåll, Hrafngorr slowly steps down from the boat, removes the cloths from his hands, and puts them out for the priestess. They are rather badly friction burned, and on the right you can see traces of another rather familiar-looking burn.

whoiam
2011-11-30, 04:37 PM
Aislinn

"This is worse than I had expected, " Aislinn tells Hrafngorr completely honestly. She'd thought him innocent initially. Well... innocent of murder, anyway. "There are a few things we will need to deal with this properly. Would you come with me, please?"

Aislinn was no great shakes at lying. Being creatively honest? She was better at that.

[roll0] Trying to convince Hrafngorr to follow Aislinn

Prendre
2011-11-30, 04:52 PM
"Where do you intend to go? If it's supplies or a table you need, we have that in the guild hall."

Burnheart
2011-12-05, 05:39 AM
Njåll

"The guildhall it is then, lets go"

Prendre
2011-12-06, 12:11 AM
Hrafngorr puts his bandages back on loosely and leads everybody to the guild hall through a rear entrance. You end up in a sort of medical closet with cloths, pins, salves, schnapps, a marble-top table, and so on.

Burnheart
2011-12-08, 12:18 PM
Njåll

"Well Aislinn can you do anything to help Hrafngorr with this? he asks pointing at the medicine cabinets contents.

whoiam
2011-12-08, 05:16 PM
Aislinn
"Yes, I think I can achieve something with the things present in this room. So, down to business. If you cry out, Hrafngorr, then Njåll here is free to kill you. We have your Seax, you see. We pulled it from the corpse of a murdered elf, as you well know. And being learned and intelligent people, we tested it. It gave the most... interesting... results."

Aislinn holds up her burned hand.

"Familiar pattern, is it not? Despite your best efforts to cover them over, you could not hide it enough. You have used Surtr's blade, Hrafngorr. Duty compels us to deliver you to the town Elders, to be judged on the morrow.

What I want to know, and why we did not bring you straight to your Elders is simple: I want to know about the cult. I want to know how they recruited you, I want to know why you had that enchanted seax.

Now, I know most people would require an... incentive... in these situations, so I will provide one. The elves have a particular hatred for the cult of Surtr. Telling what you know could well cause them to accept a merely token Weregild, instead of pushing for a heavier punishment. It may not be the greatest of inducements, but we must be realistic here. Beyond clemency or salvation, there is little I can offer in good conscience to a murderer.

Do you wish salvation? I am sure an Aesir can be found that would welcome you... Or do you wish the elves' mercy? The path to both begins with your story..."

Burnheart
2011-12-08, 06:46 PM
Njåll

When Aislinn mentions him Njåll grips his sheathed blades and smiles while stareing directly into Hrafngorr's eyes.

Intimidate check to frighten Hrafngorr into complying with Aislinn's demands
[roll0]

Prendre
2011-12-08, 09:43 PM
In spite of himself, Hrafngorr chuckles a bit at Njåll's silly expression, then straightens up and looks at Aislinn.

"I know nothing of any cult. I am not learned in your people's superstitions." He spits. "I was merely trying to implicate Ari. An acquaintance indicated to me that the blade would do so, as everybody knows I would usually never touch such a heathen artifact."

whoiam
2011-12-09, 03:00 AM
Aislinn

"Unfortunately, that won't save you. Both for the logical reason and the practical reason: For the logical reason that carrying around a heathen blade would have been of no use to you unless you had known ahead of time that someone would be murdered... And for the practical reason that unless you, or more precisely *us*, can present that acquaintance to the court, it will be difficult to convince the others that you were tricked into participating in this event..."

Prendre
2011-12-09, 03:12 AM
Hraffngorr rolls his eyes. "Of course I knew a murder was about to be committed. I planned it this morning, with my acquaintance. If you must know her name, it's Síne Macgowan, she hails from Eire, and I'm sure you could track her down somewhere in this building. She is a frequent trader. And one of the few with red hair. She will confirm this story, I'm certain."

whoiam
2011-12-09, 03:18 AM
Aislinn
"Ah, I apologise. I did not realise that was a confession of guilt rather than a protest of innocence. Well, as you have admitted your guilt... and given us whatever name you are likely to give us... I think we should take you to the local, ah, 'authorities' for detention until the hearing."

And then we can see if his Sine MacGowan exists...

Burnheart
2011-12-09, 09:04 AM
Njåll

Njåll listens silently while Aislinn questions Hraffngorr, considering his words and trying to decide if he is lying or not.

Sense motive to see if Hraffngorr is being honest and knowledge local to see if he recognises the name Sine MacGowan
Sense Motive [roll0]
Knowledge Local [roll1]

Prendre
2011-12-09, 03:16 PM
Njåll
You are unable to tell anything one way or the other about the truthfulness of his claim.

You think you've heard of Síne--it's an unusual enough name that you'd remember it--but don't really know that much.

"Very well. There is a hof to Forseti in the North. The go∂i there is known for fairness."

Burnheart
2011-12-09, 05:26 PM
Njåll

Njåll glowers at Hraffngorr "You think we'll listen to what you, a confessed murderer, wants with regard to his trial?"

Knowledge local check about this hof to Forseti and its go∂i [roll0]

Prendre
2011-12-09, 06:14 PM
Njåll
27! :smalleek:
The hof (templey-hally thing) to Foresti (the God of Justice) is run by the go∂i (priesty-chieftainy dude) Kristján Jónasson, native of Reykjavik. Generally considered a wise and just jurist, he represents Reykjavik's affairs at the Althing each summer. His sons are wise, handsome, and grim, and regarded throughout the land as honorable men, good of council. His Danish wife grows gloomy every winter.

He is afflicted with a peculiarity, which is that he has particularly pale lips. For this he is called Kristján Snærmu∂r, or Kristján Snow-Mouth.

He has a sturdy warhorse named Sjálfvili, or Free-Will, as he enjoys vigorous play when not saddled.

After winning a bet with Ólafr Höskuldsson, or Olaf Peacock (for he was known for his fancy style of dress), Kristján was told to take his pick of Olaf's horses, and that is how Sjálfvili came to belong to him...

The hof itself was constructed shortly after Reykjavik grew from one farmstead to a series of farmsteads with a port, for Ingólfur Arnarson thought it important to have a holy space where justice could be carried out, if needed. As one of a couple dozen permanent structures in Reykjavik, its salt-pitted walls mark it as one of the oldest as well. It is home to a not inconsiderable library of magic and histories.

For you see, as a young elf, Njåll used to seek out bards that knew of the exploits of one of his favorite explorers, and that explorer was named Kristján Jónasson. And then became obsessed with the history of this legendary hof. Or something.

whoiam
2011-12-13, 04:15 PM
Aislinn
"Regardless, it does make sense to leave him in the care of the go∂i of Forseti. Where else would you leave a criminal were his family elders unavailable... but in the care of the priests of Justice?"

Touching Njall's arm, Aislinn whispers to him briefly.

"Remember, now that two priests have heard his confession, he cannot avoid being found guilty in the morning. His punishment will be lighter if he faces the meeting: He will probably end up exiled if he flees. Right now, the most pressing use of our time is to find the one who gave him the seax: Far more elven lives hinge on our unearthing the cult of Surtr..."

Burnheart
2011-12-13, 06:14 PM
Njåll

"Very well" Njåll says "Go∂i Kristján Jónasson is known to be a fair judge after all" turn to face Hraffngorr he draws his blades "On your feet and hold out your hands" to Aislinn "Priestess bind his hands then we will take him to the hof"

whoiam
2011-12-15, 04:42 PM
Aislinn

Sighing gently to herself, Aislinn improvises a binding through the use of many bandages and pins. It's something of a ramshackle affair, but then she knew nothing about the use of ropes at the best of times, so using medical supplies instead wouldn't hurt her any...

...besides, it's not as though the bindings were what would ensure Hrafngorr was present for judgment in the morning....

"There, unless you've got rope or chain upon you that's the best I can do. Shall we begin?" Aislinn gestures at the door. And even if you've got rope or chain upon you its the best I can do...

Prendre
2011-12-15, 07:15 PM
Hrafngorr directs you through town to the doors of a large hof, its wooden and stone exterior pitted from decades of sea air. You can hear some activity going on inside--cooking, from the smell of it.

"We are here," Hraffngorr says, and knocks on the door a few times by way of kicking. The doors are swung open by an imposing and battle-scarred man in fine clothing wearing a strange, exotic hat.

"What have you done, Bjornson?"

Njall:
The man is Kristján Jónasson. He wears a "fez," a head-covering of Byzantine origin. It was a gift from King Olaf of Norway. Though now estranged, he still holds the man in high esteem despite his monotheistic tendencies.

Prendre
2011-12-15, 07:16 PM
ooooooops.

Burnheart
2011-12-16, 07:19 AM
Njåll

"He confessed to planning the murder of Luukas Sari go∂i" Njåll says respectfully "He suggested we leave him here with you while hunting down his co-conspirator"

Prendre
2011-12-17, 03:37 PM
The go∂i inspects the party carefully.

"Very well. May Forseti make this night, at least, a peaceful one." He steps aside and Hrafngorr enters the hof. "I suppose I will see you tomorrow, then," the go∂i says.

Burnheart
2011-12-17, 03:57 PM
Njåll

"I have one question before we go noble go∂i" Njåll says "Hrafngorr claims his co-conspirator was a red haired merchant woman from Eire named Síne Macgowan, have you ever heard anything about her before?"

Prendre
2011-12-17, 08:33 PM
"I've noticed more merchants with Celtic wares than normal lately. I think I've heard the name, but I don't keep track of all the comings and goings here."

Burnheart
2011-12-19, 02:02 PM
Njåll

"I see. Well thank you for answering my question go∂i" Njåll replies respectfully before turning to face Aislinn "Come let us head back to the merchants hall and find Macgowan"

whoiam
2011-12-19, 05:53 PM
Aislinn
"Agreed."

Turning back to Kristján Jónasson, Aislinn offers him a bow - not something the priests of Odin were used to doing to the priests of Forseti... but Aislinn had few illusions about her position in the overall hierarchy of clerics. She spoke for the chief God, but she was hardly a chief in her own right...

"Thank you, Go∂i."

Besides, he seemed to deserve it.

And with that, she'd start back towards the merchants hall with Njåll.

"I'm not sure I am a great choice for this next part, Njåll. The problem is... I'm a bit too obviously dedicated to Odin. A Surtr Cultist won't speak to me, and we don't have the evidence to force her. We... may need some help here. Someone who isn't so obviously one of the cult's enemies. I do not suppose you know anyone around here we could talk into making our, ah, enquiries for us? Not an elf. If she's part of Luukas' murder, she won't talk to an Elf anymore than she would to me..."

Burnheart
2011-12-31, 01:56 PM
Njåll

"Hmm well i do know someone who could help us, his name's Cynewulf i think he's still back at Hroturwurm"

whoiam
2011-12-31, 04:34 PM
Aislinn
"You've got a human friend we can trust?" Aislinn did not need to think for long about this. She had no intention of walking away from an investigation part way through. Alright, we'll go with them. You lead, I'll follow... he's your friend, after all."

Burnheart
2011-12-31, 05:02 PM
Njåll

"Not a human" Njåll says while heading off back to Hroturwurm "He is one of the Elf queens personal Scouts"

whoiam
2011-12-31, 05:11 PM
Aislinn

At *that* revelation, Aislinn quickly grabs Njall's shoulder. "What did I just say about the chance of a Surtr Cultist, part-way through enacting an anti-elf conspiracy, telling their secrets TO AN ELF?"

Quite theatrically, the priestess sighs. "A dwarf we could have worked with, and as we just saw with Hrafngorr, she'll happily deal with humans. Those who aren't already known as devoted servants of Odin, at least.

We should probably meet up with your elven friend regardless. I have noone in Iceland I could turn to, and if nothing else, he may have some human friends, even if you do not..."

Burnheart
2011-12-31, 06:54 PM
Njåll

"You said that she would not tell either of us her secrets and that you don't know anyone she would share such information with" Njåll says before coughing a bit "Well niether do i so that means we'll need a different skill set to learn what we require" he continues after recovering from his bout of coughing "A scout like Cynewulf is good at uncovering things that others wish would remain hidden, exactly the sort of help we are going to need now"

Prendre
2012-01-05, 03:35 PM
Squabbling all the way, Aislinn and Njåll make their way back to the Hrotwurm Mead-Hall as the sun begins to skim the horizon.

It's not particularly crowded. Bloodstains on the ground out front will do that to a business.

It's got a bit of an odd crowd. There's a group of boastful older men, an unkempt man with a wild beard and a surprisingly well-behaved wolf, elves here and there.

Looking over the elves, Njåll recognizes the classically Continental braids of Cynewulf's hair from behind.

Burnheart
2012-01-05, 04:48 PM
Njåll

"Wolf" Njåll calls out happily "This is my new friend Aislinn" he points to her "We've come to ask for your help"

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-06, 04:59 AM
Cynewulf snaps his head to the left instantly upon hearing his name spoken by that voice, eyes still unfocused. Staring at where the wall meets the floor, with the Njåll and Aislinn in his periferal vision, Cynewulf mutters flatly "(Elven) Njåll. The last elf I expected to see on this treeless rock."

He turns a bit farther, showing the woad-painted left side of his face, eyes focusing on Njåll's, brow furrowing and an impish grin settling in, "(Old Norse) I am glad to see that temper has not killed you. Sif smiles on you, friend." His elven accent is thick. He looks over at Aislinn, eyes flicking at her eyepatch for a fraction of a second, "Aislinn? A beautiful name for a beautiful lass. A priestess of Odin or a hair unlucky?", grin overtaking his face.

"Of course, I'm glad to help. Actually, I am looking for connections here in Reykjavik, I could not have guessed I already had one." His grin dissipates, a calmly serious look taking hold, "What is the trouble?"

whoiam
2012-01-06, 12:25 PM
Aislinn
Elven: "More Odin than Sif. It's not Sif's priesthood that have restrained his temper." Aislinn seemed unimpressed by the compliment (as befitting someone who'd seen her without her eyepatch), but amused by the two elves' reunion.

Old Norse: "A shade more than a hair, I fear. But I got Fróðleikr here, " she pauses to indicate the Raven, which was demonstrating its great love of humanoid discourse by sleeping through it while perched on Aislinn's shoulder, "out of the bargain, so it was not as great a loss as it could have been. She's a good spotter - something I have trouble with, for a fairly obvious reason.

Now, since you asked..." Aislinn's voice drops a few decibels, and she leans in to explain.
Elven: "Some centuries back, the Cult of Surtr and the Icelandic Elves fought a war against one another. The elves won, but not completely. There was a prophecy that the Cult of Surtr would rise against them again, after the fall of the 'Little Duke'. A strange turn of phrase that can be taken to refer to the heir of the one who lead the Elves in the first war...

...otherwise known as a clothing merchant who was murdered yesterday by a human. The human is, to the best of our knowledge, not a cultist. But he does *know* a cultist - who suggested the murder to him (as a way to frame the man's despised soon-to-be-brother-in-law for the crime) and supplied the weapon, a cursed seax designed to kill far more quickly than normal.

We have apprehended the murderer himself, true, and could leave it at that. But the elves - and myself - will feel far happier about this passage of events once we've traced the actual cult, ascertained their current level of threat, and if possible, eliminated it.

So, we have one lead. The Murderer gave us a name and description of the cultist who gave him the blade and encouraged him to use it. The problem we have is getting information from said cultist. The Cult of Surtr hate elves, so Njall cannot talk to her. Neither can you. And as a rather obvious servant of the Aesir, I won't be getting much from her either. Possibly if we can prove she's a cultist with more than the word of a murderer, we could force answers from her, but as it stands a confrontation will achieve little for us.

So, what we need more than anything is a way to talk with her without making her suspicious, or something we could use as leverage for a confrontation..."

Burnheart
2012-01-06, 01:40 PM
Njåll

Elven: "and i thought you could help us with the that last one" Njåll says after Aislinn finishes "You are the shiftiest fellow i know after all" he adds with a grin.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-06, 08:06 PM
Cynewulf grins as well and absently stares at the air between Aislinn and Njåll for a second, chewing over his thoughts. He glances out over the meadhall, "(Old Norse) You need a stout human whom you can trust, or..." He pauses, then slowly stands and steps closer, looking at one, then the other, and in a quiet voice, "(Elven) We need a place in which to speak, away from other ears."

Spyder_Cel
2012-01-07, 12:52 PM
Jáce

Úlfur's ears perk up as he hears Wolf called out from accrossed the bar. Jáce looks over seeing an elf and a human greeting another elf. "Nah boy, I don't think they're talkin bout you. But if it'll make ya feel better I can go find out. Noone else seems to be bothered by ya. Stay here." He slowly starts making his way over to the little gathering to eavesdrop a bit.

Catching the end of the small talk, Jáce leans against the bar drinking his ale faceing away from the group and listens. He had no idea he was stumbling upon the very reason he had left his homelands. He was glad he wasn't facing them, he could only imagine the look of shock that had to be on his face when he heard the word 'Surtr' pass through the human's mouth.

Still managing to stay quiet till the end of the story, Jáce turns around, and with his thick Celtic accent proclaims "What a stroke a dumb luck! Here my companion thought you'r speakin ill of'm and I'm to find ya speakin bout the very reason I'm in this hell's of a outhouse in the first place!" Reaching into his sporran he pulls out a rusted hilt of a seax that appeared to have been almost identical to the one they had just encountered. "Mayhaps I can be included in your little palaver..." A grin spreads accrosed his face as he winks while slowly sliding the hilt back from which it came.

Burnheart
2012-01-07, 01:31 PM
Njåll

Njåll looks suprised to see another Cult weapon being shown off "Where did you get that" he asks, slightly wary in case this is a trick of some kind.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-07, 01:53 PM
Glancing sideways at the man, arms crossed, one eyebrow arcing, Cynewulf mutters "(Elven) Stay your blades, friend, this man was on the ship I sailed in on."

Spyder_Cel
2012-01-07, 01:57 PM
Jáce

His grin turns sour immediately after being asked that question. "This blade, my elven friend, was pulled from da back of my commander. Twas a good man.... My search has led me're, sadly I han't more information to add to yer collection cept that their reach is far. I arrived just a few days ago and havn't got my bearins here yet. But if it's all the same I'd like to join yer search. Not silver-tongued by any means, but when it comes ta battle or the shadows I can be of use. ÚLFER!" He yells cheerfully accrossed the bar and the wolf trots over to Jáce, tail wagging.