PDA

View Full Version : commanding another's animated dead

drack
2011-08-26, 07:33 PM
So this is a rather simple question, say a necromancer makes an undead via animate dead, lets say a big zombie with lots of HD. In a party of necromancers/clerics/ect. is there a way for one to relinquish control of their undeads to another such that it takes up the new commander's HD limit instead? I mean I know undead lieutenant lets them command your undead, but is there a way to trade them without supper high rebuke checks?

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-26, 08:29 PM
Aside from telling the undead to obey Minion X and only Minion X, I haven't really got anything, sorry. :smalleek:

Jack_Simth
2011-08-26, 08:39 PM
So this is a rather simple question, say a necromancer makes an undead via animate dead, lets say a big zombie with lots of HD. In a party of necromancers/clerics/ect. is there a way for one to relinquish control of their undeads to another such that it takes up the new commander's HD limit instead? I mean I know undead lieutenant lets them command your undead, but is there a way to trade them without supper high rebuke checks?
As a temporary solution, a wand of Command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm) will get the job done (mindless undead get no save).

However, the real way to do it? Have the minion qualify as the caster of the original animate dead spell.

Here's how:
1) For a Cleric, Animate Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm) is a 3rd level spell (and Wizards can get it that way with Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine... if they've got the Wisdom for it).
2) Oils (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm) can be made of any 3rd level or lower, and have a nifty clause: "The person applying an oil is the effective caster, but the object is the target."
3) Brew the oil specifically for the critter you want animated, assuming that you'll get the area properly Desecrated (with an alter) for the effect.
4) Have the minion apply the oil to the corpse.

Congrats - your 1 HD minion now has a 20 HD zombie under it's control via a CL 5 oil. Instantly. Cost you a pretty penny and a little XP, though.

drack
2011-08-26, 08:49 PM
Hmm, well I guess that's one approach, but I was thinking more this sort of scenario. You have a party of necromancers, one is better at making undead, and so you want everyone to be using heir awesome undead, but you don't want to weaken the undead that much just so that the person who isn't making it can use it. So I already know that through items you could just boost the one's rebuke checks supper high, but I'm wondering if it could be done another way... For instance could an undead willingly submit to being commanded (via the orders of another) without a DM rule?

I haven't really got anything, sorry. :smalleek:
It's cool, after all I'm stumped too :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-08-26, 08:56 PM
Hmm, well I guess that's one approach, but I was thinking more this sort of scenario. You have a party of necromancers, one is better at making undead, and so you want everyone to be using heir awesome undead, but you don't want to weaken the undead that much just so that the person who isn't making it can use it. So I already know that through items you could just boost the one's rebuke checks supper high, but I'm wondering if it could be done another way... For instance could an undead willingly submit to being commanded (via the orders of another) without a DM rule?

It's cool, after all I'm stumped too :smallbiggrin:

Try Command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm), which is a Sor/Wiz-2 Necromancy spell that lasts days/level. In the specific example case of a Zombie (mindless), it's got nifty clauses:
A nonintelligent undead creature gets no saving throw against this spell. When you control a mindless being, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “come here,” “go there,” “fight,” “stand still,” and so on. Nonintelligent undead won’t resist suicidal or obviously harmful orders. (emphasis added)

So if your not-as-skilled Necromancer can cast a 2nd level Wizard spell, you're good that way. Just have him Command it every few days. Chain Spell makes it better, as does Extend Spell.

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-26, 08:58 PM
I like Jack Smith's solution, though if you go that route, be sure that the oil is in a glowing green syringe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c). :smalltongue:

drack
2011-08-26, 09:09 PM
Yes, and I know the technique, but that has it's limitations (like that divine necromancers or even simple clerics don't get that spell), so I was wondering if they could be passed on via the command ability (which everyone who dabbles in necromancy, except simple wizards who get spells of that sort, get). I guess not?

To clarify: yes I know some necromancers also get that ability (namely most all arcane ones), but it's that some don't that concerns me :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-08-26, 09:22 PM
I know no simple trick, but Bone Knight has a class feature where another necromancer can transfer her undead to Bone Knight's command (thus freeing up space in her control pool).

drack
2011-08-26, 09:31 PM
That works for divine necromancers I guess :smallbiggrin: thanks. Any other ways? (I honestly didn't expect a simple way, but if there is one... :smallbiggrin:)

Psyren
2011-08-26, 10:15 PM
Yes, and I know the technique, but that has it's limitations (like that divine necromancers or even simple clerics don't get that spell)

Sure they do - Necromancy Domain, Anyspell etc.

drack
2011-08-26, 10:45 PM
wow... now I feel silly :smalltongue:
wait... :smallconfused: that gives control undead but not command undead, no dice :smallcool:
(control lasts 1 min/level and as such is not suited to long term control)

Psyren
2011-08-27, 12:40 AM
No, Necromancer Domain does give Command Undead. It's in ECS.

And Anyspell of course gives you any 2nd-level wizard spell.

faceroll
2011-08-27, 06:24 AM
There's a spell that gives an intelligent undead control of your minions. In SpC and/or Libris Mortis.

drack
2011-08-27, 06:54 AM
No, Necromancer Domain does give Command Undead. It's in ECS.

Ah, I was looking at the other one :smallbiggrin: (which is silly because had I looked it is a wizard variant :smalltongue:)

There's a spell that gives an intelligent undead control of your minions. In SpC and/or Libris Mortis.
you mean lieutenant of undeath? Yeah but it doesn't count towards their HD instead... oh well :smallbiggrin: