PDA

View Full Version : Class features that grant temporary invincibility?

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 08:49 PM
And I don't mean FB/Knight's "Keep fighting at -x HP" or regeneration either, I mean temporary immunity to at least HP damage in the absolute.

I would like to see their wordings for a homebrew idea.

sreservoir
2011-08-26, 08:55 PM
does time stop count?

Jack_Simth
2011-08-26, 08:58 PM
And I don't mean FB/Knight's "Keep fighting at -x HP" or regeneration either, I mean temporary immunity to at least HP damage in the absolute.There's always the Psion's Timeless body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm).

deuxhero
2011-08-26, 08:59 PM
TB is a good starting point, though not the gamiest wording.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 09:05 PM
Death Ward + some means of DR (other than /magic).

tyckspoon
2011-08-26, 09:32 PM
Transcend Mortality, Wu Jen 9. Gives DR 30/Epic, resistance 50 to the standard energy types, immunity to energy drain and ability damage, SR 21+CL, and if you run into anything weird that you weren't already immune or greatly resistant to, a hefty +10 bonus to your saves. Only downside is when the spell duration ends, you disintegrate. If you plan to make regular use of this spell you would be advised to have a Contingent Resurrection available.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-26, 09:35 PM
Transcend Mortality, Wu Jen 9. Gives DR 30/Epic, resistance 50 to the standard energy types, immunity to energy drain and ability damage, SR 21+CL, and if you run into anything weird that you weren't already immune or greatly resistant to, a hefty +10 bonus to your saves. Only downside is when the spell duration ends, you disintegrate. If you plan to make regular use of this spell you would be advised to have a Contingent Resurrection available.Death Pact, Cleric-8, from the Spell Compendium, should do the job.

WeeFreeMen
2011-08-26, 09:36 PM
Deathless Frenzy from Frenzied Beserker.
As long as your Raging/Frenzied you cannot Die.
This however isnt true if it is "Massive Damage" or Instant Death.

IE: You cannot Catch a Orb of Disintegrate with your teeth nor can you walk across the Surface of the Sun.

NNescio
2011-08-26, 09:46 PM
Transcend Mortality, Wu Jen 9. Gives DR 30/Epic, resistance 50 to the standard energy types, immunity to energy drain and ability damage, SR 21+CL, and if you run into anything weird that you weren't already immune or greatly resistant to, a hefty +10 bonus to your saves. Only downside is when the spell duration ends, you disintegrate. If you plan to make regular use of this spell you would be advised to have a Contingent Resurrection available.

Combine it with JPM's Emerald Immolation...

Eldariel
2011-08-26, 09:49 PM
Combine it with JPM's Emerald Immolation...

Wu Jen JPM is a perfectly valid build, in fact.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-26, 09:51 PM
Deathless Frenzy from Frenzied Beserker.
As long as your Raging/Frenzied you cannot Die.
This however isnt true if it is "Massive Damage" or Instant Death.

IE: You cannot Catch a Orb of Disintegrate with your teeth nor can you walk across the Surface of the Sun.
*cough*

And I don't mean FB/Knight's "Keep fighting at -x HP" or regeneration either, I mean temporary immunity to at least HP damage in the absolute.

Always read the first post.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-26, 09:59 PM
It's not quite it, but Transcend Mortality is really close to being invincible. till you die at the end of it.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-26, 10:00 PM

I would like to see their wordings for a homebrew idea.
"Is keep fighting at -X" OK if X=Infinity? Is regeneration OK if you're also immune to nonlethal damage?

sreservoir
2011-08-26, 10:25 PM

I don't think being invincible helps if you die if the other party decides to just get out.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-26, 10:39 PM
I don't think being invincible helps if you die if the other party decides to just get out.

Yes, it does, assuming you either have a contingency or are a Jade Phoenix Mage.:smallwink:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-08-27, 12:47 AM
The 8th level Crusader stance, Immortal Fortitude, basically makes you reset to 1 HP every time you drop below 0. Make a Fort save (which should be really high) with a DC equal to your negative HP total (note: the absolute value of your negative HP total) and if you succeed, you reset to 1. After 3 saving throws (successful or not) the stance ends but that should buy you another turn to recover and make a comeback/escape/etc.

Runestar
2011-08-27, 02:25 AM
Undead with regeneration and a con score (via epic fortify seed)? :smalltongue:

Interesting thing about this spell is that it can be cast on the foe (think there was some way of making it a ranged spell?), then dismiss the duration, killing him instantly. But I digress...:smallamused:

candycorn
2011-08-27, 02:33 AM
Spellcasting is the class feature you seek.

Get:
Energy Immunity (Sonic)
Shapechange (Crystalline Troll)
Favor of the Martyr.

You're flat out immune to damage while they last. Even effects like searing spell, since it's not immunity to fire that it needs to bypass. It's immunity to nonlethal.

Zaq
2011-08-27, 02:36 AM
Spellcasting is the class feature you seek.

Get:
Energy Immunity (Sonic)
Shapechange (Crystalline Troll)
Favor of the Martyr.

You're flat out immune to damage while they last. Even effects like searing spell, since it's not immunity to fire that it needs to bypass. It's immunity to nonlethal.

Trollbane will ruin your day, but shy of that, yup, you're in business.

deuxhero
2011-08-27, 02:45 AM
"Is keep fighting at -X" OK if X=Infinity? Is regeneration OK if you're also immune to nonlethal damage?

No and no.

It's more for a feature to avoid damage entirely, and I alreddy know the wording for regenerating+non-lethal immunity.

Zaq
2011-08-27, 02:53 AM
Hmmm. Shapechanging into a Zodar gives you immunity to everything but bludgeoning damage, if I'm not mistaken (it's an EX trait, and Shapechange gives you that, right?). Is there any way to convert all damage into a type other than bludgeoning?

Also, Shapechanging into an Aleax can get you immunity to damage against everyone other than your intended target, but Aleax is more template than creature, which I think makes it ineligible.

Alleran
2011-08-27, 05:22 AM
Also, Shapechanging into an Aleax can get you immunity to damage against everyone other than your intended target, but Aleax is more template than creature, which I think makes it ineligible.
Even if it were possible, I think that most DMs would throw the DMG at your head if you tried changing into an Aleax of yourself.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-27, 08:42 AM
Trollbane will ruin your day, but shy of that, yup, you're in business.
Trollbane doesn't function if you're also immune to poison - and that's just one Heroes' Feast away.

Sdonourg
2011-08-27, 09:36 AM
Can Time Hop psion power count as invincibility?

Arcane_Snowman
2011-08-27, 09:40 AM
Off Topic: Troll Blooded feat (Dragon Magazine 315) + Saint Template:
Regeneration 1 with Immunity Acid and Fire (what would've normally dealt lethal damage)

On Topic: Delay Death I believe is the name of the spell.