PDA

View Full Version : Rich Burlew and the spell conpendium.

Sunken Valley
2011-08-27, 05:19 AM
Spell conpendium is partially credited as being worked on by our own Rich Burlew. Does anyone know which spells he helped make?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-27, 06:06 AM
Off-hand, no, but you may be able to ask the Giant himself.:smallwink:

Coidzor
2011-08-27, 12:01 PM
I think he's got some ones that were never used listed in this very forum. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910)

But I may just be thinking of stuff he did up for Dragon.

deuxhero
2011-08-27, 03:49 PM
He also did It's Not Outside, which has rules for a bouncy ball.

NNescio
2011-08-27, 03:58 PM
He also did It's Not Outside, which has rules for a bouncy ball.

And the acid-breathing sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads scorching ray SLAs.

Gametime
2011-08-27, 06:45 PM
His only credit that I can find is for "The Hidden Book," an article in Dragon #324. It contains Chalkboard, Delusions of Grandeur, Phantom Foe, Sensory Deprivation, Shadowy Grappler, and Solipsism.

Chalkboard seems to be the only one that didn't make it into the Compendium. It, uh, makes an illusory chalkboard that you can write on.

hobbitkniver
2011-08-28, 12:09 AM
Wow, I've never noticed this. I'm glad you said something.

NNescio
2011-08-28, 12:15 AM
His only credit that I can find is for "The Hidden Book," an article in Dragon #324. It contains Chalkboard, Delusions of Grandeur, Phantom Foe, Sensory Deprivation, Shadowy Grappler, and Solipsism.

Chalkboard seems to be the only one that didn't make it into the Compendium. It, uh, makes an illusory chalkboard that you can write on.

Can it inflict a -5 penalty to Concentration to surrounding targets when used in a certain way?

Thespianus
2011-08-28, 01:19 AM
Can it inflict a -5 penalty to Concentration to surrounding targets when used in a certain way?

Might be worth mentioning too that the version of Chalkboard that The Giant wrote was changed by an editor at Dragon Magazine into something completely different. Rich discusses this in the thread linked to earlier, about his gaming articles.

The Chalkboard now - apparently - gives concealment(!) as a cantrip.

Since no one who was an editor for the magazine back then still is today, I don’t mind saying that I thought they absolutely butchered some of the spells that did make it into print. In particular, there was a cantrip called chalkboard that was originally conceived as a phantasm that only the caster could see, allowing him to write notes in midair that appeared in his field of vision but were invisible to anyone else. The editors changed that to a visible chalkboard illusion, and then added that it provided concealment for anyone standing behind it. So the spell went from a handy note-taking aide to a spell that provided a powerful (and unintended) combat advantage at a ridiculously low level. And my name was the sole credit on it.