PDA

View Full Version : Elements The Game, who else plays?

Amphetryon
2011-08-27, 10:05 AM
For those who don't know, it's a free to play online CCG where you have 12 different colors that represent "elements" from which to choose to make your deck. Wins can get you more cards, or gold with which to "purchase" more cards.

I run a Time/Darkness deck, mostly. Anyone else?

Science Officer
2011-08-27, 11:19 AM
I tried it a bit. With a fire deck, and also with a time deck.
Found there to be too much grinding for my taste.

Zain
2011-08-27, 11:51 AM
Found there to be too much grinding for my taste.

Yeah, I too found it grindy, although a friend of mine is quite into it, so I guess it's good for some.

Amphetryon
2011-08-30, 05:49 PM
:smallfrown: Just these two, brave souls?

Zain
2011-08-30, 06:11 PM
while I found the game not to my liking, their forums seem like a good community, can anyone confirm that?

Hazzardevil
2011-08-31, 08:57 AM
I play every now and then, my only problem is just how hard it is to get good cards. I'm currently playing a Light/Life deck, but it's slow going just getting it to a point were it can actually challenge anything.
It's main schikt it just stalling, so it may just turn into something that stalls the opponent.

Agent_0042
2011-09-01, 04:19 PM
I started this a few days back. I'm using a Gravity deck with a touch of Aether, and it's been working fairly well for me so far. The game is grindy, yes, but I mostly play it in class when I can't do anything else, so it's cool. It's complex enough to keep my interest, at least.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-09-02, 12:53 PM
I used to play, and may well start up again. It is kinda grindy, but often that doesn't bother me. That, and one of my favourite decks is fairly cheap (I usually run Death - my favourite, or Time and Light - abusing buffs with Deja Vu, or Time with a shade of Gravity - for Scarabs, tried it first after netting a couple of Pharaohs through some good fortune).

Grytorm
2011-10-01, 11:31 PM
I tried it out. I kind of like it but I keep getting frustrated and starting over. I try to run a Death/Entropy/(Darkness or Fire) that focuses on getting stuff for killing cards. Though I got frustrated by having about twenty useless skeletons then losing because I ran out of cards.

Bucky
2011-10-03, 05:57 PM
Mono-Aether Mindgate is the only deck I play anymore. It's cheap to build, beats a good fraction of the expensive decks, and plays out differently every game. Just be prepared to play a lot of mirror matches.

Starwulf
2011-10-06, 01:29 AM
So, stupid question here: How do you sign up for the game? I have the main site loaded, and unless it didn't fully load, the only things on there are links to a FAQ, the wiki, their community forums, a few other misc stuff, and a thing to open up the chat in a separate pop-up, but the chat thing assumes you already have an account to sign in with, and nowhere on there is a link to sign up

Would like to give this game a try, it sounds kind of fun, but getting frustrated. Likely it's my own lousy internet not fully loading the page, but if someone could, at the least, just post the link directly to the sign-up page, i'd be forever grateful.

Gadora
2011-10-06, 02:49 AM
So, stupid question here: How do you sign up for the game? I have the main site loaded, and unless it didn't fully load, the only things on there are links to a FAQ, the wiki, their community forums, a few other misc stuff, and a thing to open up the chat in a separate pop-up, but the chat thing assumes you already have an account to sign in with, and nowhere on there is a link to sign up

Would like to give this game a try, it sounds kind of fun, but getting frustrated. Likely it's my own lousy internet not fully loading the page, but if someone could, at the least, just post the link directly to the sign-up page, i'd be forever grateful.

There should be a large flash section that opened right smack-dab in the middle of the page. If there's an ad, wait for it to finish then click "Play Game" in the lower right corner. Once you've got it showing username and password fields, you're going to want to click the button in the lower middle that says "Play Now!"

Alternatively, if you've a Kongregate account, I seem to remember that you can sign in over there (http://www.kongregate.com/games/zanzarino/elements), using that account. If you take that option,I should warn you that I remember the Kongregate users were mostly regarded with scorn by the rest of the community.

Asheram
2011-10-06, 04:32 AM
Used to play, but once you start grinding for good cards it just gets a chore and no fun.

Cespenar
2011-10-06, 04:40 AM
+N to it being too grindy.

Starwulf
2011-10-07, 09:46 PM
Definitely grindy, but I enjoy grindy stuff, so I'm still having fun. Just wish I could consistently beat level 3 opponents, and actually beat a level 4 once in a while. Those level 4's are nasty, LOL. Trying to grind to 500 points for my final quest so I can get the option to start upgrading cards.

Rhydeble
2011-10-08, 05:36 AM
Just how do you upgrade cards? I can't find it on the wiki. (just started playing after reading this topic)

Starwulf
2011-10-08, 01:57 PM
Just how do you upgrade cards? I can't find it on the wiki. (just started playing after reading this topic)

After you complete all 7 quests(the 7th is going to take a good deal of grinding), by clicking on the quest button again you gain the ability to upgrade the cards by using the electrum coins we win.

AmberVael
2011-10-08, 04:18 PM
I've played a bit. It's fun, but yes, grindy.

I tend to play with an old rainbow deck- it's outdated by now, and seems to have some problems against newer decks and cards, but it is quite fun.

Starwulf
2011-10-08, 06:17 PM
Well, I managed to grind to 500 points. Not really sure what to do now, I mean, I could sell a bunch of the cards I've won and upgrade a singular card of mine, I'm just not sure I want to sell them, LOL. I could use the Electrum I've accumulated thus far and buy cards to build a different deck, I do have a few ideas floating around in my head, and I do have several RARE cards(one is that Pharoah or whatever it is, It allows you to produce scarabs for two Quanta, I know it's rare just because it's worth 250 electrum). Bah, choices choices! What to do what to do.

UserClone
2011-12-01, 09:27 PM
I'm playing! Freaking addicted to the thing. AWrinkleInTime is my screen name on it. I have several decks, and I started with Time.

Starwulf
2011-12-01, 09:35 PM
I'm playing! Freaking addicted to the thing. AWrinkleInTime is my screen name on it. I have several decks, and I started with Time.

Hmm, I burned myself out on the game. Grindings ok when there is a decent reward, but when you have to win about a hundred level 3 duels just to win enough electrum to upgrade one singular card...ehh. Course I probably could have had 5 upgraded cards instead of 2, but I built two other decks as well, one centered around the Pharoahs(I ended up winning 6 of the damn things, which is the max you can have of a card) and scarabs. Pretty fun, but I still preferred my Entropy deck.

Grif
2011-12-01, 10:35 PM
Hmm, I burned myself out on the game. Grindings ok when there is a decent reward, but when you have to win about a hundred level 3 duels just to win enough electrum to upgrade one singular card...ehh. Course I probably could have had 5 upgraded cards instead of 2, but I built two other decks as well, one centered around the Pharoahs(I ended up winning 6 of the damn things, which is the max you can have of a card) and scarabs. Pretty fun, but I still preferred my Entropy deck.

Same. Been trying some of the suggested unupgraded decks for Half-Blood farming. No such luck so far. Arena is too unpredictable.

Apparently Shards are a must.

UserClone
2011-12-02, 02:54 AM
Here is a well-kept secret for easy AI3 farming:

RAINBOW RUSH!
Lycanthrope x1
Nova x4
Arsenic x1
Graviton Fire Eater x1
Horned Frog x1
Crimson Dragon x1
Immolation x5
Lava Golem x2
Chrysaora x1
Mind Flayer x1
Photon x5
Fog Shield x1
Precognition x6
Mark of Time

Really, this thing couldn't be easier to use. Just play some combination of two or more Nova and (Photon+Immolation), then play...pretty much whatever's in your hand. There's so little quanta overlap that it's hardly ever an issue, and there are no nonfire cards which cost more than 2 quanta. Most of the creatures are pumpable, and if you have something better than 3 damage sitting in your hand, Immolate that Frog; if you have something better in your hand and you don't need the Ability control, immolate that Mind Flayer! Don't be afraid to Immolate your Chrysaora either. Play a Precognition whenever you have the chance, and don't forget to take note of what's in the other guy's hand for your own decisions of what to Immolate. Usually, it's best to wait until you can Immolate a Photon, but don't be afraid to burn up something small for something you can pump up. Similarly, if you don't have anything playable in your hand at the moment, hold back on Immolating your Photon for a turn, because hey, 1 damage is 1 damage. Finally, if you find yourself in abundance of Fire quanta, by all means, get that Dragon on the table, fella!

Best of luck and stay tuned for the secret of my success: using other players (AKA PVP1) to make Electrum much faster than with AI3. Coming soon to a thread near you, with a card by card breakdown (as above) of a very nice, pretty cheap deck for beating about 70% of other players' decks out there.

Edit: By the way, the Arsenic isn't an absolute must, so don't fret if you don't have one (though you can't go wrong by choosing it as your 500 score reward). Use whichever weapon you have that costs colorless quanta and you'll be fine, since colorless doesn't care what kind of quanta you use, so you can cast it after only a single Nova or Immo.

Grif
2011-12-02, 03:45 AM
Here is a well-kept secret for easy AI3 farming:

RAINBOW RUSH!
Lycanthrope x1
Nova x4
Arsenic x1
Graviton Fire Eater x1
Horned Frog x1
Crimson Dragon x1
Immolation x5
Lava Golem x2
Chrysaora x1
Mind Flayer x1
Photon x5
Fog Shield x1
Precognition x6
Mark of Time

Really, this thing couldn't be easier to use. Just play some combination of two or more Nova and (Photon+Immolation), then play...pretty much whatever's in your hand. There's so little quanta overlap that it's hardly ever an issue, and there are no nonfire cards which cost more than 2 quanta. Most of the creatures are pumpable, and if you have something better than 3 damage sitting in your hand, Immolate that Frog; if you have something better in your hand and you don't need the Ability control, immolate that Mind Flayer! Don't be afraid to Immolate your Chrysaora either. Play a Precognition whenever you have the chance, and don't forget to take note of what's in the other guy's hand for your own decisions of what to Immolate. Usually, it's best to wait until you can Immolate a Photon, but don't be afraid to burn up something small for something you can pump up. Similarly, if you don't have anything playable in your hand at the moment, hold back on Immolating your Photon for a turn, because hey, 1 damage is 1 damage. Finally, if you find yourself in abundance of Fire quanta, by all means, get that Dragon on the table, fella!

Best of luck and stay tuned for the secret of my success: using other players (AKA PVP1) to make Electrum much faster than with AI3. Coming soon to a thread near you, with a card by card breakdown (as above) of a very nice, pretty cheap deck for beating about 70% of other players' decks out there.

Edit: By the way, the Arsenic isn't an absolute must, so don't fret if you don't have one (though you can't go wrong by choosing it as your 500 score reward). Use whichever weapon you have that costs colorless quanta and you'll be fine, since colorless doesn't care what kind of quanta you use, so you can cast it after only a single Nova or Immo.

Sounds like a typical Rainbow, no-pillar deck to me. :smalltongue: Not that it's bad, but AI3 is rather easy to farm even with mono-Entropy/mono-Fire/mono-Aether. (I get upwards of 80% winrate with mono-Aether/mono-Fire. It just gets grindy and old.)

UserClone
2011-12-02, 03:58 AM
Mono Aether = BORING

Grif
2011-12-02, 07:41 AM
Mono Aether = BORING

Well, duh. Never said it was fun to grind with it.

Same goes for pretty much any AI3 grinding deck tbh. It's when you get upgraded cards that the game starts to shine.

UserClone
2011-12-02, 10:20 AM
It's true, but the key (like with the above deck) is SPEED when it comes to grinding AI3. And that deck usually wins within 6-10 turns. For an even faster one, which wins in 6-9 turns, try the following (more expensive though, due to phoenixes):

6x Nova
6x Gnome Riders
6x Graboid
6x Immolation
6x Phoenix

It's extremely easy to play. The main rule is: Immolate early and often. Keep those Riders out there only if you have a bunch of Graboids in hand. But the first moment that there is a Graboid in your hand (or a Phoenix), Immolate that stupid Rider. Heck, if you have an Ash and no fire, or a Graboid who's ready to Evolve, but no time, Immolate a Gnome Rider. Only Immolate a Phoenix if it will result in you having another Phoenix right now, and the ability to Rebirth the one you Immo'd next turn, and even then, only if you don't have a Rider to burn.

ALL.
TOO.
EASY.

And fast as hell, too.

Like I said, stay tuned for a great PVP1 deck with no rares that WILL win you Electrum.

tribble
2011-12-02, 12:47 PM
Anybody else think that death kinda REALLY needs a way to kill its own creatures on the field in exchange for power? I mean, seriously, killing your own cards for perks has been a thing in death-themed cards in TCGs since MTG. I was also disappointed by entropy, it felt like it had no definite playstyle.

That said, that cancerous cell thing that makes more of itself is shockingly op.

UserClone
2011-12-02, 01:45 PM
I'm not really sure how the Aflatoxin is OP...could you explain?

I would definitely agree that Death needs some way to sacrifice a creature for effect, other than the (AMAZING) Retrovirus.

Entropy, on the other hand, is freaking awesome. Randomness is the order of the day! I love: Mutation (Improved Mutation), Chaos Power (Random Buff!) and probably my favorite freaking card in the game is the Fallen Druid!

Edit: I also find it quite fitting that Death and Entropy mesh so well. Look at Shrodinger's Cat or weak creatures+Pandemonium and Bone Wall/Boneyard/Soul Catcher/Vulture!

Brumski
2011-12-02, 03:47 PM
I played in the past, ran Aether I think, and restarted after reading this thread. New cards since I played last (pendulums are a neat addition) helped me get back into it.

I started again with a Gravity deck, then added some Death. Focused mainly on the Otyugh card, which really starts to shine with Boneyard/Bonewall in play, then Vultures. Also made a second account cause I wanted to try Life without spending all my coins. Finishing the majority of matches with max health is amusing.

Stopped again after finishing the quest line. Gets lame.

tribble
2011-12-02, 04:33 PM
I'm not really sure how the Aflatoxin is OP...could you explain?

I would definitely agree that Death needs some way to sacrifice a creature for effect, other than the (AMAZING) Retrovirus.

Entropy, on the other hand, is freaking awesome. Randomness is the order of the day! I love: Mutation (Improved Mutation), Chaos Power (Random Buff!) and probably my favorite freaking card in the game is the Fallen Druid!

Edit: I also find it quite fitting that Death and Entropy mesh so well. Look at Shrodinger's Cat or weak creatures+Pandemonium and Bone Wall/Boneyard/Soul Catcher/Vulture!

Malignant cells grow expotentially. you have like two turns to shut down a malignant cell or you die from being swarmed by twenty of the bastards. Also, mad synergy with vultures.

Entropy was the first deck I played with but I switched to death just because I couldn't really feel out a theme or playstyle. Please, defend it to me, I think entropy is cool and I want to like it but I can't do it on my own.

EDIT: also I'd like to be able to choose what quanta I use when I play an unaligned card. Kind of makes the quantum pillar weaker than it should be.

Grif
2011-12-02, 09:52 PM
Malignant cells grow expotentially. you have like two turns to shut down a malignant cell or you die from being swarmed by twenty of the bastards. Also, mad synergy with vultures.

Entropy was the first deck I played with but I switched to death just because I couldn't really feel out a theme or playstyle. Please, defend it to me, I think entropy is cool and I want to like it but I can't do it on my own.

EDIT: also I'd like to be able to choose what quanta I use when I play an unaligned card. Kind of makes the quantum pillar weaker than it should be.

Malignant cells are easily shut down by shields or any other cards with mass CC though. (Firestorm, Pandemonium, Plague.) It's only deadly if you didn't pack any of those.

tribble
2011-12-02, 11:35 PM
Malignant cells are easily shut down by shields or any other cards with mass CC though. (Firestorm, Pandemonium, Plague.) It's only deadly if you didn't pack any of those.

Shields, yeah they block malignant cells-unless the death player has nightfall, and then all of a sudden it's a massive horde of cells that each deal TWO damage, and now your shield is still letting damage through unless you're playing aether. Or, if the death player is running life quanta and empathic bond he regenerates a massive amount of health every turn. I haven't tested it, but if otyughs are able to eat friendly units then malignant cells can become an unlimited foodsource.

As for mass CC I shall disown any death player who isn't in a stronger position after he loses more than ten tokens in one go.

Shovah
2011-12-02, 11:58 PM
Unless I'm misremembering, nightfall doesn't actually boost malignant cells.

But yes, cells (or any other form of easy unit production, such as firefly queens) do make a rather nutritious food source for otyughs.

tribble
2011-12-03, 12:46 AM
Unless I'm misremembering, nightfall doesn't actually boost malignant cells.

But yes, cells (or any other form of easy unit production, such as firefly queens) do make a rather nutritious food source for otyughs.

unless malignant cells aren't' considered death units then yeah it should.
SRSLY though what kind of death theme can't even mill its own tokens, it's so unsynergistic it hurts.

Darkness decks are troll tier, tell your friends.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-12-03, 09:46 AM
unless malignant cells aren't' considered death units then yeah it should.
SRSLY though what kind of death theme can't even mill its own tokens, it's so unsynergistic it hurts.

Darkness decks are troll tier, tell your friends.

Fairly sure they're unaligned, actually. Unless they've changed it, which would probably mean they can Drown now. Someone could always check, o' course. Also, some shields block two damage (Earth one does, I think) and others (such as the Water and Time ones) can just stop them from attacking.

But yes, Death needs ways to kill its own creatures (preferably cheaply), if only to sweep out some Malignant Cells for more Vultures or the like.

Darkness/Entropy doesn't have much synergy, but randomising some of your opponents quanta and draining it would be insanely infuriating. Also, shrouding your field whilst Mutating things would be absurd.

Got to say, though, for fast wins Life is really good. Adrenaline on Forest Scorpion (or whatever it's called) is absurd unless your opponent gets a shield down, in which case you have big enough creatures to smash through anyway. Not to mention that most of your stuff is cheap enough to be able to get in another colour for covering your weak removal (Fire or Darkness would be nice).

tribble
2011-12-03, 12:29 PM
I still want someone to explain the entropy playstyle to me. It seems like it's just "cross your fingers" with a side dish of being more powerful for the computer players because the computer cheats.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-12-03, 01:10 PM
I still want someone to explain the entropy playstyle to me. It seems like it's just "cross your fingers" with a side dish of being more powerful for the computer players because the computer cheats.

I have no idea how mono-Entropy would work (beyond, yes, corssing your fingers and hoping for the best), Entropy has variety in support it provides to other elements. Death really appreciates Shroedinger's Cat and Mutation to pump up its Vultures and Skeletons, respectively. Life/Entropy runs like a more consistent Entropy, using big creatures to secure a win with Corrupted Druids (or whatever they're called, they have a reusable Mutation ability) pumping up early-game offenses and Chaos Seeds weakening threats that Life finds hard to remove by itself. Dark/Entropy is a gimmick that abuses Pandaemonium (maybe, Entropy spell, randomly debuffs everything) in combination with Voodoo Dolls, stalling with quanta-drain, thievery and general annoyance tactics. Not sure how others would work, off the top of my head. Oh, Air appreciates Nova support for Pegasi, Firefly Queens, Unstable Gases and anything else they might run that they normally don't have the quanta for - but that's stretching, really.

Not really an Entropy player, but depending on what its paired with, it provides consistency (against all expectations, as with Death) or introduces a bit of chance to situations that might have been consistent losses otherwise (as with Life, and a bit with Death if it's a horde-style offense, both of which are very troubled by certain shields).

Grif
2011-12-03, 01:35 PM

Mono-Entropy? Well being one that started off with Entropy here's what I observed.

Entropy relies mainly on its creatures to dish out damage and its various CC and permanent control to keep the enemy at bay. The only luck-based card in Entropy's deck would be the Chaos Power/Mutation/Improv. Mutation/Fallen Druid/Fallen Elves. Pandemonium ALWAYS inflicts negative effects on the enemy, except for times when it casts Mutation and the enemy got off with a nice creature (rare, but I seen it happen.) Same with Chaos Seed. Both of these make for nice, if slightly unpredictable CC. If that's not enough, Maxwell's Demon is there for more CC. (It shuts down Fire creatures hard in particular.) Butterfly Effect is there for shutting down enemy permanents while Antimatter is great for healing yourself. Whatever you have, Entropy can counter it. (Not saying it will, but the potential is there.)

Basically, with the right draw, Entropy is pretty much able to counter any of the other decks out there. Of course, this isn't the case most of the time and mono-Entropy fails miserably against Half-Bloods and above due to its lack of specialisation. I can say it's a rather generalist deck, with everything to counter anything out there, but at the cost of efficiency. A self-built mono-Entropy deck certainly got me through the early days of Elements, winning quite often against AI3, despite my newbie efforts. Entropy only truly shines when it is paired with other Elements, since it offers a lot to complement their weakness. Scion mentioned Entropy/Death, which I find is very synergistic. (Kitties are a godsend to any Death player.)

ScionoftheVoid
2011-12-03, 01:51 PM
Yay, I got something right!

Also, I completely forgot about some of those spells. Butterfly Effect is awesome in Death, since shields are hell for you more than many other elements.

Zeful
2011-12-03, 02:46 PM
Honestly, the game is kinda fun (though, apparently spamming Otyughs and devouring everything is a viable strategy, I might add some death (boneyard, Soul Catchers) and Entropy (Shrodinger's Cat) so I can infinitely spawn tokens for my Otyughs and use Accelerate on them). But the amount of grind is off-putting to the point that it's probably not worth it.

tribble
2011-12-03, 02:55 PM
I kinda like the dark playstyle a lot. I'm stealing your quanta, now I'm burying my quanta stealers so you can't target them, now I'm stealing your permanents, now I'm making my entire side of the field invisible so you can't target my creatures or permanents, now I'm buffing all my creatures to do more damage, now I have max darkness quanta and I'm going to hit you for like 20 damage in the space of one turn.

There need to be more spells that damage your own units, both for death and for darkness. Currently, you pretty much have to run acceleration or rage potions if you want to do stuff with voodoo dolls.

Zeful
2011-12-03, 03:05 PM
You're probably supposed to use Gravity Pull.

UserClone
2011-12-03, 03:59 PM
Holy Flash works pretty well with voodoos, and a realy awesome combo is to basilisk's blood your voodoo, gravity pull, damage it beyond 25 damage, and hit it with 3 Parallel Universes, all of which would be impossible without our Entropic friend, Mr. Nova.

Zeful
2011-12-04, 05:36 PM
For all this games good parts it has very bad design. The Arena is worthless to new players because of the derpy oracle meaning months and months of BS grind for the OP cards.

For all it's fun, meaningless grind is not worth it.

Ever.

Lemonus
2011-12-05, 09:42 PM
I play a little bit. I'm currently playing a Time/Aether deck.