PDA

View Full Version : Plane Shift

torugo
2011-08-27, 10:13 AM
You move yourself or some other creature to another plane of existence or alternate dimension. If several willing persons link hands in a circle, as many as eight can be affected by the plane shift at the same time.

In the comic, Z clearly touches the kobold. There is no willing persons touching hands in a circle. Another abstraction of the spell for plot's sake?

Hironomus
2011-08-27, 10:31 AM
You move yourself or some other creature to another plane of existence or alternate dimension. If several willing persons link hands in a circle, as many as eight can be affected by the plane shift at the same time.

In the comic, Z clearly touches the kobold. There is no willing persons touching hands in a circle. Another abstraction of the spell for plot's sake?

To put it simply. Yes.

JackRackham
2011-08-27, 05:50 PM

Well, to be sure, RAW, the Kobold shouldn't have gone along for the ride unless he was willing. Otherwise, as long as V failed her will save, there's no reason this doesn't work.

FujinAkari
2011-08-27, 05:54 PM

V failed hir willsave and is carrying Y... other than being particularly nitpicky I'm not sure I see your point...

SowZ
2011-08-27, 05:59 PM
Alternatively, he could have a homebrewed version of the spell that has to do with the portal. Does anyone remember the exact text of Plane Shift spells pre 3.5?

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-27, 06:14 PM
Plot > rules. That is all.

TheMac04
2011-08-27, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go with "It looked really cool, so it doesn't matter" explanation.

Temnyi
2011-08-27, 06:32 PM
Zzd'tri simply targeted V through the object he was carrying, similar to touching someone's armor to target them with a shocking grasp.

This talk of a kobold being considered a person is, frankly, preposterous, and a sign of the downward spiral of society caused by this "Scaled rights movement" those lizards won't stop talking about.

TheMac04
2011-08-27, 07:23 PM
Zzd'tri simply targeted V through the object he was carrying, similar to touching someone's armor to target them with a shocking grasp.

This talk of a kobold being considered a person is, frankly, preposterous, and a sign of the downward spiral of society caused by this "Scaled rights movement" those lizards won't stop talking about.

I'm not racist, but things sure were a lot nicer before those damned scaleds showed up.

Amarsir
2011-08-27, 08:55 PM
Hey look, some of my best friends are kobolds, you know? But there's a reason why "cold-blooded" has such a bad reputation.

KoboldRevenge
2011-08-28, 01:37 AM
Well, well, well I knew one day this would come up. Just cause you can regulate you body temperature you think your a frickin King of Nowhere.

You will have something else to say when a Dinosaur eats your head. :smalltongue:

factotum
2011-08-28, 02:21 AM
If I was DMing a game I'm pretty darned sure I'd allow any linked group of 8 people to go through, rather than them having to link arms in a circle and sing Kumbaya or something... :smallwink:

TheMac04
2011-08-28, 02:41 AM
Well, well, well I knew one day this would come up. Just cause you can regulate you body temperature you think your a frickin King of Nowhere.

You will have something else to say when a Dinosaur eats your head. :smalltongue:

Damned scalies always coming in here, trying to put down us honest, hard-workin' skinned folk.

KillianHawkeye
2011-08-28, 04:49 AM
Damned scalies always coming in here, trying to put down us honest, hard-workin' skinned folk.

Damn, dirty apes!

Temnyi
2011-08-28, 10:46 AM

I've been working with local legislature to remove heat rocks from businesses and public locations, citing the number of burns they've caused to the good, warm-blooded folks. Thus, I have only two words for you:

Winter's coming.

G-Man Graves
2011-08-28, 12:33 PM
I've been working with local legislature to remove heat rocks from businesses and public locations, citing the number of burns they've caused to the good, warm-blooded folks. Thus, I have only two words for you:

Winter's coming.

I would like to just point out that the last guy who said that was a real pain in the neck.

Zmflavius
2011-08-28, 01:01 PM
I would like to just point out that the last guy who said that was a real pain in the neck.

If we're thinking of the same guy, so was his son.

OrzhvoPatriarch
2011-08-28, 01:05 PM
Damned skinned and scaled folk, trying to keep the skeletal amongst us down. We work day in and day out, and we don't even get a lunch break just cause we can't eat!

On the actual topic, I don't think its a big deal, at worst its the tiniest of rules mistakes.

TheMac04
2011-08-28, 02:27 PM
Damned skinned and scaled folk, trying to keep the skeletal amongst us down. We work day in and day out, and we don't even get a lunch break just cause we can't eat!

Damn skellie commies trying to make everyone the same!

Esprit15
2011-08-28, 02:28 PM
It could have been a loose interpretation of the rules. The kobold fails his will save, then because V is holding on to the kobold by both arms they are linked in what could be considered a circle.

Or you know, rule of cool.

BenjCano
2011-08-28, 05:28 PM

In related news, there's also no Semi Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing.

Esprit15
2011-08-28, 08:39 PM
In related news, there's also no Semi Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing.

As far as you know.:smallamused:

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-28, 08:50 PM
I think Plane Shift is "supposed to" look the way it did here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) (like a Teleport spell). But since in every other instance we've seen it portrayed as a window that the target physically passes through, this is just the Giant being logically consistent within his own work. If that makes any sense.

KoboldRevenge
2011-08-28, 09:35 PM
@Temnyi

1:I see you have a lizard familiar perhaps they would like too know your views on cold-bloodeds.

2:And now Quoting a very good Dragonic role model. "When you turn magic off you cease to be a mighty wizard or sorcerer or whatever you are (probably a warlock:smallamused:) and become a fragile pointy eared monkey. While we are still dangerous creatures." :P

TheMac04
2011-08-28, 09:45 PM
I think Plane Shift is "supposed to" look the way it did here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) (like a Teleport spell). But since in every other instance we've seen it portrayed as a window that the target physically passes through, this is just the Giant being logically consistent within his own work. If that makes any sense.

And yeah, because it looks way cooler.

Cracklord
2011-08-28, 09:50 PM
@Temnyi

1:I see you have a lizard familiar perhaps they would like too know your views on cold-bloodeds.

2:And now Quoting a very good Dragonic role model. "When you turn magic off you cease to be a mighty wizard or sorcerer or whatever you are (probably a warlock:smallamused:) and become a fragile pointy eared monkey. While we are still dangerous creatures." :P

And when you turn gravity on properly you collapse under your own weight into a mewling heap of broken bones, given your density and size. We all have physics loopholes working in our favor.

GSFB
2011-08-28, 10:39 PM
You mess with a Kobold, you mess with the Dragons, yo.

Also:

And when you turn gravity on properly you collapse under your own weight into a mewling heap of broken bones, given your density and size. We all have physics loopholes working in our favor.

You must be one of those evolution deniers who believes dinosaurs are just propaganda...

TheMac04
2011-08-29, 12:41 AM
You must be one of those evolution deniers who believes dinosaurs are just propaganda...

Gravity is just a theory.

SowZ
2011-08-29, 12:52 AM
Gravity is just a theory.

The reasons for Gravity aren't firmly established, but the phenomona of gravity is pretty darn measurable.

TheMac04
2011-08-29, 12:53 AM
The reasons for Gravity aren't firmly established, but the phenomona of gravity is pretty darn measurable.

He's expressing his opinion as fact! I'm being attacked for my beliefs!

the_tick_rules
2011-08-29, 11:22 AM

Pretty much.

hamishspence
2011-08-29, 11:39 AM
It's not the first time it's been used that way- with simply touching the unwilling opponent, and no circle:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html

that said, neither Redcloak or the unnamed cleric here, were successful.

factotum
2011-08-30, 01:58 AM
It's not the first time it's been used that way- with simply touching the unwilling opponent, and no circle:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html

that said, neither Redcloak or the unnamed cleric here, were successful.

That's a different situation--you can Plane Shift somebody else if you want to, it's clearly noted in the spell description! If you want to Plane Shift a *group* of people the description says they have to link hands in a circle, although even then, you yourself do not need to be part of the group.

hamishspence
2011-08-30, 02:49 AM
True- maybe in this case people clinging to the teleported person, must make a save as well or be dragged along.

Castamir
2011-08-30, 10:25 AM
So chew better before swallowing next time :smallamused:

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-30, 11:01 AM
That's a different situation--you can Plane Shift somebody else if you want to, it's clearly noted in the spell description! If you want to Plane Shift a *group* of people the description says they have to link hands in a circle and be willing, although even then, you yourself do not need to be part of the group.
Plane Shift as written can only be used offensively on a single target, and can only be used on a group if the group is composed of willing people joining hands in a circle. The Giant is not using Plane Shift as written, but is instead following his accustomed practice of bending the rules for the sake of the story.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-30, 11:11 AM

Dinosaurs are birds. They were very, very lightweight, making them able to be very, very large.

A human the size of a dinosaur would be crushed under his own weight, because we are very dense creatures.

hamishspence
2011-08-31, 03:43 AM
Sauropods might be less dense than humans, but not by a huge amount.

It isn't so much reduced density, as extremely thick, yet light and durable, leg bones, that held them up.

luc258
2011-08-31, 04:20 AM
:belkar: A kobold once helped me regulate my head temperature.

Arrghus
2011-08-31, 04:22 AM
How can you not believe in dinosaurs? My aunt got eaten by a Velociraptor last month.

If dinosaurs don't exist, how can they be on the random encounter lists? Huh? Huh?

You're like those phony madmen who try to disprove psychic powers even as the Psion's lifting you into the air by your ankles.

The Succubus
2011-08-31, 04:47 AM
V failed hir willsave and is carrying Y... other than being particularly nitpicky I'm not sure I see your point...

I vaguely recall a similar question being asked about Tsukiko and create undead. The answer is "ZZ'dtri's Superawesome Spell of Advanced Plane Shifting."