View Full Version : Freakin Tentacles Up in Here!

Krüsher
2011-08-27, 11:19 AM
Hello playground! You may have seen my post a little while ago about adding claws, in an attempt to make a thayan gladiator. After realizing the limits of claws, I have turned to a more easily abused weapon source. Tentacles! I would like to to point out that I do not really want to use any anthro animals. Seems too easy :smalltongue:
My current idea for this build is to use aberration blood feats like deepspawn, and then going into totemist for the displacer mantle. That gives me 4, but I want some more. My only other source I know of is the illithid grapple feats. But considering how terribad they are, I would like to see your input. Turn me into something lovecraftian!

Serpentine
2011-08-27, 11:24 AM
Try out my Aberration Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11680156&postcount=44) for me? Just missing the spell list, which I really ought to do sometime soon...

Volthawk
2011-08-27, 11:25 AM
Well, if you're willing to use homebrew, then Ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536) has you covered.

Flickerdart
2011-08-27, 11:37 AM
Displacer Form (W/S 4) gives you two tentacle attacks with reach, among other benefits. I believe there's another spell which gives you independently-attacking tentacles in the SpC somewhere.

hangedman1984
2011-08-27, 01:58 PM
Displacer Form (W/S 4) gives you two tentacle attacks with reach, among other benefits. I believe there's another spell which gives you independently-attacking tentacles in the SpC somewhere.

i believe its called menacing tentacles

Zaq
2011-08-27, 02:27 PM
Well, Warshaper is pretty good at getting natural weapons, but you'll have to talk to your GM about how many you're actually allowed to have.

Squiggles
2011-08-27, 04:16 PM
Magic of Faerun has Gutsnake 4th level Wizard/Sorcerer - a tentacle grows from your abdomen and attacks targets up to 15ft away

SpC has a few spells that increase natural weapon damage, hooray for tentacles; Tigers Tooth Druid 2nd level, Jagged Tooth Druid 3rd, Magic Fang and Superior Magic Fang, Extend Tentacle Wizard/Sorc 2nd, Fearsome Grapple Wizard/Sorc 2nd, Fuse Arms Wiz/Sorc 2nd

That is if you find yourself needing more tentacles

Krüsher
2011-08-27, 04:34 PM
Hmmm. Well I just read about the half-farspawn template in LoM and it seems pretty nifty for my purposes. Gives me 2 tentacles, change shape that gives me 2 more, and qualifies me for warshaper. Put weapon finesse and rapid strike in and then amulet of natural attacks giving speed. Sounds darn good!

Wings of Peace
2011-08-27, 04:39 PM
Binder gets a few sources of tentacle attacks as I recall. Of course you could also just acquire a bazillion symbionts and become a Nasty Gentleman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861906/LoPs_Dirty_Tricks_4:_The_Nasty_Gentlemen) :-)

Flickerdart
2011-08-27, 04:59 PM
Illithid feats can get you up to four more tentacles, but it'll cost you 6 feats to get that far. So, you can get 6 tentacles (two from Deepspawn, four from Illithid Heritage feats) just by feats alone!

Midnight_v
2011-08-27, 08:20 PM
Lovecraftian Psychic Warrior: Version 5 (by Maat_Mons):

Human
Psychic Warrior 8 / Warblade 1

(28 pts buy)

Suggested stats:
STR 18 (originally 16)
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 8

Feats:
H. Illithid Heritage
1. Illithid Skin
PW1. Illithid Grapple
PW2. Illithid Grapple
3. Illithid Grapple
PW5. Illithid Grapple
6. Multiattack
PW8. [Open]
9. Improved Multiattack

Powers: Bite of the Wolf, Offensive Prescience, Psionic Lion’s Charge
Stance: Punishing Stance

Suggested Equipment: Amulet of Mighty Fists +1 (6,000 gp), Belt of Giant’s Strength +4 (16,000 gp), +1 Greatsword (2,350 gp)
Total cost: 24,350 gp
Left money: 11,650 gp

Your un-buffed full attack routine is greatsword +14 melee (3d6 + 10) and greatsword +9 melee (3d6 + 10) and 4 tentacles +14 melee (1d6 + 1d4 + 4). Buffed, it becomes greatsword +14 melee (3d6 + 12) and greatsword +9 melee (3d6 + 12) and 4 tentacles +14 melee (1d6 + 1d4 + 6) and bite +14 melee (2d8 + 1d6 + 6).

Since 81 or 111.5 damage per round may be excessive, you may choose to replace Warblade with Crusader. Martial Spirit works well with the 6 or 7 attacks per round. Power Stones of Bite of the Wolf and Offensive Prescience are a bargain at 25 gp. You could use your human feat as you see fit and shift the illithid feats down.

What do you Need for this build?

Player's Handbook

Dungeon Master’s Guide

Monster Manual: Multiattack, Feat p.304

Draconmicon: Improved Multiattack, Feat p.70

Expanded Psionics Handbook: Psychic Warrior, Class p.24 – Bite of the Wolf, Power p.80 - Offensive Prescience, Power p.125 - Psionic Lion’s Charge, Power p.125
Complete Psionic: Illithid Heritage, Feat p.62 - Illithid Skin, Feat p.62 - Illithid Grapple, Feat p.61
Tome of Battle: Warblade, Class p.20 – Punishing Stance, Stance p.69

Now... thats from Maat Mons. Ironically the rest of it I learned from...
Shakuvm Made The Black Octopus build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864438/34;The_Black_Octopus34;_(CR_20_Encounter))

The short of that being you can take black blood cultist (same book as Thayan Gladiator Iirc) and gain the class ability "Savage Grapple" that lets you deal damage with all natural weapons on an a succeslful grapple.

If you want you can just keep tenatcle stacking from there.

I think Psywar is optimal becaue it provides enough bonus feats and buffs that you its isn't so bad using your leveling feats away on more tentcles.

EDIT!!!: There is a feat called Abberation Wildshape that lets you well... turn into freaking lovecraftian horrors as a druid. Its pretty gnarly. I'd almost forgotten that theres a list of forms. However the fact that you can become a freaking, Dark Tentacles, or a Rukanyr is just amazing.