PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Drop Items?

Rossebay
2011-08-27, 02:32 PM
So, my character's bag raises his encumbrance to a medium load, and I don't want him to be slowed in combat. Do you guys know of any item upgrades that will allow him to drop his backpack as a free action somehow, allowing him to act in the first round of combat?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-27, 02:35 PM
So, my character's bag raises his encumbrance to a medium load, and I don't want him to be slowed in combat. Do you guys know of any item upgrades that will allow him to drop his backpack as a free action somehow, allowing him to act in the first round of combat?

Dropping an item, at least as far as I know, has always been a free action. And slowed by 10ft isn't that bad. If you use actual movement squares well then that might be a different story.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-27, 02:39 PM
Dropping an item, at least as far as I know, has always been a free action. And slowed by 10ft isn't that bad. If you use actual movement squares well then that might be a different story.

Does anyone not use squares in combat? I thought that was kind of a given in the D&D combat system.

I mean, there are hexes as an alternate option, but still, you need some kind of grid pattern or fights dissolve into scrambled chaos and "oh yeah, I was just close enough to hit them all with the cone."

Rossebay
2011-08-27, 02:46 PM
Does anyone not use squares in combat? I thought that was kind of a given in the D&D combat system.

I mean, there are hexes as an alternate option, but still, you need some kind of grid pattern or fights dissolve into scrambled chaos and "oh yeah, I was just close enough to hit them all with the cone."

Hahaha. Yeah, I've never been in a game where we don't use a combat grid, even if it's in the DM's head.

Anyway, dropping an item that's strapped to you is different than just dropping an item outright.

0nimaru
2011-08-27, 02:53 PM
I don't think it would be much different. Buckles and Clasps existed in the timeframe that D&D emulates, so you could easily have something that drops as a free-action. Imagine that your bag is more like a modern satchel case with a single strap across your chest. The excess length is in a little tongue that hangs near your breast. Your first action is to yank on that, which loosens the belt and causes your back to fall to the ground. It'd be fairly balanced, as you then couldn't access your backpack during battle.

I'd suggest having some Hip-Pouches loaded with any vital items if you go this route.

Zaq
2011-08-27, 02:56 PM
How 'bout, like, a donkey (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/donkey.htm)? 8 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#donkeyorMule) and it fits in a dungeon. Have it carry the stuff that you can afford to have in two or three rounds instead of right away (the tent, for instance).

thompur
2011-08-27, 03:00 PM
How 'bout, like, a donkey (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/donkey.htm)? 8 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#donkeyorMule) and it fits in a dungeon. Have it carry the stuff that you can afford to have in two or three rounds instead of right away (the tent, for instance).

I second this. Even when you're high enough level to get a Heward's Handy Haversack, It's nice to have something to carry the bulky stuff.

Elric VIII
2011-08-27, 04:47 PM
A&EG has the quick-escape armor modification (this is not a magical property) and it reduces the time to remove armor down to one action.

Now, most armors take 1 or more minutes to remove, so you might be able to get a quick-escape backpack that has a proportional decrease in removal time (perhaps a swift or move action).

Rossebay
2011-08-27, 05:27 PM
A&EG has the quick-escape armor modification (this is not a magical property) and it reduces the time to remove armor down to one action.

Now, most armors take 1 or more minutes to remove, so you might be able to get a quick-escape backpack that has a proportional decrease in removal time (perhaps a swift or move action).

Well, the DM has okayed simply using a messenger bag and sliding it off of my shoulder at the start of each encounter.
Though, I adjusted my inventory, so I don't need to drop it at all anymore, haha.

GoatBoy
2011-08-27, 05:35 PM
Every game I've been in has gone by the rule "assume you can carry it unless it's six feet tall or made of solid rock." But that's only my experience.

If it is a difference of only a few pounds, your DM might be inclined to let you use Pathfinder's "masterwork backpack" which functionally raises your strength by two points as far as carrying capacity goes.

Otherwise, dropping something that isn't tied/strapped/buckled to your entire body (ie. armor) is usually considered a free action.

Curmudgeon
2011-08-27, 09:47 PM
Dropping an item is a free action if it's in your hand. If it takes a move action to get the item into your hand you have to figure that in. For instance, you can't get away with this shenanigan to get the benefit of Quick Draw:

"I'm going to drop my sword (currently sheathed) as a free action."
"I changed my mind, and I'm going to hold onto it instead, now that it's in my hand and ready to drop."

Manipulate an Item

In most cases, moving or manipulating an item is a move action.

This includes retrieving or putting away a stored item, picking up an item, moving a heavy object, and opening a door. Getting your backpack off your back is manipulating it, and follows the standard rules.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-27, 10:17 PM
Getting your backpack off your back is manipulating it, and follows the standard rules.
However, if you kept your backpack in your hand, rather than on your back, and had Quickdraw (or put the Least Crystal of Return - Magic Item Compendium page 65; 300 gp - on your weapon of choice) then you could drop the backpack as a free action, draw your weapon as a free action, and be set... other than not threatening during the normal course of events.

Madeiner
2011-08-27, 10:33 PM
Dropping an item is a free action if it's in your hand. If it takes a move action to get the item into your hand you have to figure that in. For instance, you can't get away with this shenanigan to get the benefit of Quick Draw:

"I'm going to drop my sword (currently sheathed) as a free action."
"I changed my mind, and I'm going to hold onto it instead, now that it's in my hand and ready to drop."
Getting your backpack off your back is manipulating it, and follows the standard rules.

Nope, but you can use the commoner railgun.
A line of N commoners. First one has a bow. Fires as standard action, drops as free action. Next commoner picks up as move, fires at standard, then drops as free action. And so.
KABOOM.

Someone also had calculated the speed that bow was traveling with a certain amount of commoners!

Rossebay
2011-08-27, 11:54 PM
As I said, DM has okayed otherwise, Curmudgeon. Thank you.

And, basically, thread over!

koscum
2011-08-28, 05:41 AM
Easy Travel armour property (MIC, p. 10) allows you to ignore maximum Dexterity bonus, armour check penalty and reduced speed normally incurred by medium load. It might even extend into class features if your DM allows it. It's fixed price bonus and costs 1,500 gp.

Rossebay
2011-08-28, 10:33 AM
Easy Travel armour property (MIC, p. 10) allows you to ignore maximum Dexterity bonus, armour check penalty and reduced speed normally incurred by medium load. It might even extend into class features if your DM allows it. It's fixed price bonus and costs 1,500 gp.

Wow.
Definitely getting that later on.

rgd20
2011-08-28, 10:43 AM
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#muleback-cords

1,000 gp for +8 strength (for carrying capacity only) takes a shoulder slot

.... but is PF