PDA

View Full Version : MAD class recommendation

FearlessGnome
2011-08-27, 06:20 PM
Hi, so I am joining my first pbp campaign real soon (The campaign is already ongoing)

Stats were rolled, and I rolled just ridiculously well. I got 17, 18, 14, 13, 14, 16.

Now as it's my first online campaign and I haven't played more than two dnd campaigns before this, I'm really not looking for anything broken/likely to make the party strangle me in my sleep.

Also, I figure I'm not likely to roll this well for a new character again anytime soon, so basically: Are there any classes that are fun to play but that really suffer from MAD when built with point buy?

Starting level 1, 1 flaw.

Gandariel
2011-08-27, 06:22 PM
Paladin? everything needs to be kinda high excepted for Int and Dex.. if you really want to go Miko a Monk dip could do very well to your build

erikun
2011-08-27, 06:29 PM
You can play a really awesome melee cleric with high stats. Good wisdom, good strength, good constitution for survivability, and even good charisma for DMM or just diplomancy checks.

Rogue could be an option as well; dexterity for AC/weapon finesse, charisma for bluff/use magic device, and either strength for damage or intelligence for skills. You also have rogue variants (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) or a bard which plays along the same strengths.

I'd assume something like a Beguiler, Adept, or other classes with lots of options can make use of the generally high stats.

WarKitty
2011-08-27, 06:29 PM
You could also pull off a pretty good rogue with those stats. You've got dex+str to use ranged weapons, int for your skills, and enough to spare.

Alternately, some sort of gish, depending on the level you're starting at. That kind of build can afford to keep up both strength, con, and casting stat of your choice.

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 06:42 PM
A Gish, Swordsage, Crusader, Cleric, and Factotum can all benefit from extra stats quite a bit without needing to suffer without them. There are undoubtedly others.

SowZ
2011-08-27, 06:49 PM
Warblade takes advantage of all the physical stats and uses the mental stats, (okay, not charisma,) while being stronger then some of the other MAD classes.

You could also put the 17/18 in Int/Dex and go Rogue as some have suggested then prestige into assassin. Use a 14 Cha for bluff/disguise/use magic device, getting laid, and such. Use the Wis for... Will saves? There are some feats that have 13 Wis as a pre-req...

(Note: Most DMs I know of will work with you on alignment pre-reqs for Prestige Classes since they can be pretty silly.)

ZombiePunch
2011-08-27, 06:55 PM
Favored Soul is fun and has some MAD problems
Charisma determines spells but Wisdom determines Spell DC

Eldariel
2011-08-27, 06:57 PM
Martial caster in general. Cleric, Wizard/Eldritch Knight or some such. Those are great but require great scores to truly shine with.

Noblesse
2011-08-27, 07:02 PM
If you are looking for a single class, Duskblade or a Shapeshifting Druid would work out well with those stats

ZombiePunch
2011-08-27, 07:03 PM
Paladin? everything needs to be kinda high excepted for Int and Dex.. if you really want to go Miko a Monk dip could do very well to your build

The Serenity feat helps here

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 07:10 PM
If you are looking for a single class, Duskblade or a Shapeshifting Druid would work out well with those stats

A druid doesn't really need physical stats, unless this game is PF or using other optional rules.

OP, essentially any class that does melee combat AND needs at least one mental stat would do wonders here. Ideally one with a good skill list. I'd avoid all such options out of the PHB except the Cleric, Bard, and Gishes (caster/warrior).

What level are the other players at if it is ongoing? Are there any multi-classing restrictions?

gallagher
2011-08-27, 07:15 PM
how do you feel about spellthief?

Sactheminions
2011-08-27, 07:18 PM
Warlock8/Blackguard3/Eldritch Disciple 9

Take Eldritch Glaive, Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast), and trade out your essences as you go, eventually getting an Utterdark Blast with your insane Charisma bonus. If you can blow a feat on Improved Sunder, a three-level Blackguard dip nets you Cha to saves and some other fun stuff, including the ability to qualify for Eldritch Disciple, if you like...

It isn't optimized, but it makes the most of high attributes, and it's funny!

Quietus
2011-08-27, 07:20 PM
A druid doesn't really need physical stats, unless this game is PF or using other optional rules.

OP, essentially any class that does melee combat AND needs at least one mental stat would do wonders here. Ideally one with a good skill list. I'd avoid all such options out of the PHB except the Cleric, Bard, and Gishes (caster/warrior).

What level are the other players at if it is ongoing? Are there any multi-classing restrictions?

They're referring to the shapeshifting variant, I believe - which uses PF-style shapeshifting where it modifies your base stats, and gives you the ability to shapeshift from level 1, with a reduction in sheer options available by giving you generic forms with set ability adjustments. It's in PHB2, if memory serves. You drop animal companion and wild shape to get it, and it doesn't allow natural spell to work, but it's at-will.

Greenish
2011-08-27, 07:21 PM
A druid doesn't really need physical stats, unless this game is PF or using other optional rules.I guess that's why he specified the shapeshift variant.

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 07:25 PM
I guess that's why he specified the shapeshift variant.

Eh, "shapeshift" is a rather vague term tossed in there on its own. I didn't realize he was talking about the variant in the PHB2.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-28, 04:05 AM
Swordsage.

Str for attack and damage
Dex for ranged attack and more melee damage (Shadow Blade) and AC
Con for HP
Int for skills
Wis for more AC
CHA is your only dump stat.

molten_dragon
2011-08-28, 06:48 AM
A Ruby Knight Vindicator is quite fun, can keep up with high-powered parties, and won't break low-level parties. It's also fairly MAD (relying to a degree on STR, CON, WIS, and CHA).

toysailor
2011-08-28, 07:05 AM
I suggest some of the less complex classes (i.e. anything that's not a full-caster, ToB, gish, min/maxed characters) if you are the type of new player who pick things up slowly. Its always a pain for the rest of the party to wait 5 mins or so for the party cleric or swordsage to decide what abilities to use.

With the strong stats, a paladin or rogue could be decent choices. Rogue allows more flexibility to multi-class into other stuff once you learn more about game mechanics.

Amphetryon
2011-08-28, 07:08 AM
Hi, so I am joining my first pbp campaign real soon (The campaign is already ongoing)

Stats were rolled, and I rolled just ridiculously well. I got 17, 18, 14, 13, 14, 16.

Now as it's my first online campaign and I haven't played more than two dnd campaigns before this, I'm really not looking for anything broken/likely to make the party strangle me in my sleep.

Also, I figure I'm not likely to roll this well for a new character again anytime soon, so basically: Are there any classes that are fun to play but that really suffer from MAD when built with point buy?

Starting level 1, 1 flaw.
Dread Necromancer.
STR 14 DEX 17 CON 16 INT 14 WIS 13 CHA 18.

Take DN for 4 levels, dip into Crusader, then Jade Phoenix Mage.

Groverfield
2011-08-28, 08:16 AM
Paladin, though you don't [NEED] a high INT or DEX, 1)everyone loves skill points and 2) Even in full plate you can get 1 DEX to your AC

Irbis
2011-08-30, 06:44 AM
Swordsage.

Str for attack and damage
Dex for ranged attack and more melee damage (Shadow Blade) and AC
Con for HP
Int for skills
Wis for more AC
CHA is your only dump stat.

Except, ToB classes are proficient in melee weapons only, no ranged weaponry for you :smallyuk:

And I don't see why you should bother anyway.

Same with Wis, it only works with small portion of protective gear, making 1 out of 2 stats meaningless in the long run.

Eldariel
2011-08-30, 09:19 AM
Same with Wis, it only works with small portion of protective gear, making 1 out of 2 stats meaningless in the long run.

It works with the best Armor Swordsage can wear (Celestial Armor), and indeed the highest Armor+Dex composite armor in the game. And ranged proficiencies are trivial enough to get (you have all but bows already, basically). Crusader gets them for instance.

subject42
2011-08-30, 09:23 AM
Except, ToB classes are proficient in melee weapons only, no ranged weaponry for you :smallyuk:

I think the Crusader actually gets the crossbow or something.

Amphetryon
2011-08-30, 09:31 AM
I think the Crusader actually gets the crossbow or something.

Crusaders get simple and martial weapon proficiency. Swordsages get simple weapon proficiency and martial melee proficiency that specifically includes weapons which can be thrown; so do Warblades. It's possible to make a ranged ToB combatant, but tricky given how many maneuvers and stances are predicated on melee attacks, RAW.

Eldariel
2011-08-30, 09:56 AM
Crusaders get simple and martial weapon proficiency. Swordsages get simple weapon proficiency and martial melee proficiency that specifically includes weapons which can be thrown; so do Warblades. It's possible to make a ranged ToB combatant, but tricky given how many maneuvers and stances are predicated on melee attacks, RAW.

Basically, only offensively useful maneuvers for ranged combat are Dancing Mongoose, Raging Mongoose and Time Stands Still. Though of course, you still get great deals of utility out of maneuvers; Sudden Leap, Iron Heart Surge, Baffling Defense/Wall of Blades/etc., White Raven Tactics, Order Forged From Chaos, Quicksilver Motion, Shadow Blink, Diamond Defense, Moment of Alacrity, etc. can all be game-changers.

Crusaders are the only ones with Bow proficiencies (all of 'em have Crossbows, thrown weapons & co. mind), and the only ones without access to the offensive maneuvers. So heh.