PDA

View Full Version : RPG Creation Contest I: Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-27, 06:35 PM
This Contest Is Over. We Have Begun Voting.

RPG Creation Contest I:
BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ55A91A5FnpMVLy063blNHohpQINLKt uHnMhOK3NA9VedSPyP3jA

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

In the RPG Creation Contest, you don't create content for an existing roleplaying game, but a full fledged roleplaying game of your own. It can be as rules-light and simple as you want, so long as it is playable and has a coherent rules set. It can be done in 24 hours (http://www.24hourrpg.com/), so a month should be plenty of time.

This month's theme: science fiction!

RULES
You will be creating an original RPG with an original premise. It can not use an existing rules set or be based off of any existing media. The setting and rules must be your own.

You must explain the rules. After reading through your game, it must be clear how to play. You can assume that the reader knows basic RPG concepts and has played D&D or something similar.

The entry must be between 2000 and 8000 words. This length is short enough to be readable in a short amount of time, but long enough to sufficiently describe the setting and rules.

The game must have been created for this contest. No submitting creations of other people, or games you have made earlier.

The game must have a sci-fi theme. There will be a different theme next month.

THE CONTEST WILL BE CLOSED AND VOTING WILL BEGIN ON SEPTEMBER 30TH. GOOD LUCK!

IcarusWings
2011-08-28, 11:02 AM
This sounds like fun, I've already got a concept forming in my head. Should be ready to start cultivating pretty soon.

Ziegander
2011-08-28, 12:05 PM
I too have a concept forming, I just hope I have the time to put work into it.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-28, 02:00 PM
Im interested, but one question: how close to fantasy can we get, like having magic such as "the force"?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-28, 02:14 PM
I'm going to submit a game, but I don't know what yet. Probably something dark and gritty.

Im interested, but one question: how close to fantasy can we get, like having magic such as "the force"?

I would say you can have stuff like magic, as long as it is closer to science fiction tan fantasy. Star Wars is perhaps a little too fantastical.

IcarusWings
2011-08-28, 03:59 PM
Are we allowed to post what we're working on anywhere else while we're developing it to get feedback? Or should we keep it to ourselves until it's ready to put up here?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-28, 04:15 PM
Are we allowed to post what we're working on anywhere else while we're developing it to get feedback? Or should we keep it to ourselves until it's ready to put up here?

I don't see a problem with posting your game piece by piece and sharing the creative process.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-28, 04:19 PM
How will you judge systems to decide who wins, as this is a contest. Also, do we get any playtesting?

IcarusWings
2011-08-28, 04:23 PM
I don't see a problem with posting your game piece by piece and sharing the creative process.

Great, I've already got around 500 words down, so I'll be able to share some stuff soon probably.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-28, 05:22 PM
How will you judge systems to decide who wins, as this is a contest. Also, do we get any playtesting?

The Playground will vote. It says so at the bottom of the original post.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-28, 05:27 PM
oh :smallredface: I may post some stuff soon.

Amechra
2011-08-31, 01:01 AM
At 700 words and counting!

Concept-wise, I'm going for something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders meets Exalted meets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_%28TV_series%29.

Essentially, you were exiled from your reality to a continuity of short-lived little worldlets, in which you must alter their "history" to solve problems. And by short, I mean they exist in a stable time-loop, consisting of maybe a year or two, tops; of course, the people "inside" have memories from before that point, and aren't aware that those memories are false. They also forget anything not in that "basic" set-up, unless the path that that worldlet is following is also warped.

Oh, and just something of interest (I mean, I like it...), there is a scaling condition called Longing. It essentially is, mechanically, how much you are tied to the current worldlet; let it drop too low, and you are essentially out of that session (you would have to be dragged back, as you don't consciously perceive it at all), and if you let it get too high... You go native.

The above serves as a type of HP, by the by.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 01:05 AM

Concept-wise, I'm going for something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders meets Exalted meets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_%28TV_series%29.

Essentially, you were exiled from your reality to a continuity of short-lived little worldlets, in which you must alter their "history" to solve problems. And by short, I mean they exist in a stable time-loop, consisting of maybe a year or two, tops; of course, the people "inside" have memories from before that point, and aren't aware that those memories are false. They also forget anything not in that "basic" set-up, unless the path that that worldlet is following is also warped.

Oh, and just something of interest (I mean, I like it...), there is a scaling condition called Longing. It essentially is, mechanically, how much you are tied to the current worldlet; let it drop too low, and you are essentially out of that session (you would have to be dragged back, as you don't consciously perceive it at all), and if you let it get too high... You go native.

Sounds amazing! Keep it coming.

IcarusWings
2011-08-31, 05:25 AM

That sounds awesome, seems like this is going to be a hard competition. :smallfrown: :smallwink:

I'm at about 700 words to but mine's kinda' different. Mine's more inspired by a mix of Instrumentality from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Inception.

The base concept is that it's a post-apocalyptic world after an alien invasion. And humanity, to defend itself, has ascended to Thoughtspace (name is a placeholder), shedding their mortal bodies and living in a realm of pure thought. You play as government operatives who both police Thoughtspace, and make dangerous missions into the corporeal realm to protect humanity's interests there, using robotic bodies called Eidolons.

The bare-bones of the conflict system is pretty weird though, in Thoughtspace it's all about imposing mental rules (called Axioms in the game) on your opposition to change their tactics, whereas Earth has set rules (e.g. Gravity, the laws of motion etc.) that you have to play to, but you also get awesome gadgets with your Eidolons that you can use.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 10:20 AM
The base concept is that it's a post-apocalyptic world after an alien invasion. And humanity, to defend itself, has ascended to Thoughtspace (name is a placeholder), shedding their mortal bodies and living in a realm of pure thought. You play as government operatives who both police Thoughtspace, and make dangerous missions into the corporeal realm to protect humanity's interests there, using robotic bodies called Eidolons.

The bare-bones of the conflict system is pretty weird though, in Thoughtspace it's all about imposing mental rules (called Axioms in the game) on your opposition to change their tactics, whereas Earth has set rules (e.g. Gravity, the laws of motion etc.) that you have to play to, but you also get awesome gadgets with your Eidolons that you can use.

You know, that sounds equally, if not more awesome. :smalleek: :smallwink: :smallsmile:

GFawkes
2011-08-31, 10:47 AM
I haz idea!

Maraxus1
2011-08-31, 10:53 AM
I'll join. Creating a vaguely Warhammer 40k / Master of Orion / Shadowrun inspired setting.
Using an "unnecessarily complicated" simulation heavy mechanic. :smallconfused::smallwink:

Although, I'm not 10% into the first version and already at 1,300 words. doing it all in 8,000 will be tough (and I can't believe I'm writing this because I usually have no problem, summing up stuff).

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 11:05 AM
I'll join. Creating a vaguely Warhammer 40k / Master of Orion / Shadowrun inspired setting.
Using an "unnecessarily complicated" simulation heavy mechanic. :smallconfused::smallwink:

Although, I'm not 10% into the first version and already at 1,300 words. doing it all in 8,000 will be tough (and I can't believe I'm writing this because I usually have no problem, summing up stuff).

Well, I'm glad to see you're enthusiastic.

YouLostMe
2011-08-31, 01:48 PM
I'm in--though I may not finish in a month's time--we shall see.

In other news, I recommend that future themes have a little more specificity. It will encourage innovation so that players appear different from one-another, and you'll have more themes so that you're not rolling back to "sci-fi" as a theme in half a year's time (e.g. Cyberpunk, High-Fantasy Magic) or requrie a focus in certain areas (e.g. combat-oriented, politically-oriented)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 01:55 PM
I'm in--though I may not finish in a month's time--we shall see.

In other news, I recommend that future themes have a little more specificity. It will encourage innovation so that players appear different from one-another, and you'll have more themes so that you're not rolling back to "sci-fi" as a theme in half a year's time (e.g. Cyberpunk, High-Fantasy Magic) or requrie a focus in certain areas (e.g. combat-oriented, politically-oriented)

For the first few contests, I'm going to have broad themes. Afterwards, I'm going to up the stakes and make them more specific. After I have covered fantasy, horror, historical, ect, I'm going to cover things like steampunk and crime.

GFawkes
2011-08-31, 04:00 PM
Comment and two questions.

Comment: For reference of everyone, my system will draw inspiration from d20 and Serenity RPG. It's coming along nicely so far, just hope I can fit everything into the word limit.

Question #1: Are we allowed to make expansions to current systems? (Ex: make something like Redshirt: the Sacrifice for nWoD)
Just re-read the rules :smalltongue:

Question #2: Are we allowed to help each other with the systems/expansions?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 04:06 PM
Question #2: Are we allowed to help each other with the systems/expansions?
I don't see why not.

GFawkes
2011-08-31, 04:11 PM
That's a relief. I'm having a little trouble coming up with alien races. Here's what I've got so far:

Humans, obviously
Ixeli, a race of reptile-insect bipeds
Pseudon, a race of plants
Garra, a race of many jointed monkeys

I was thinking of adding something with an aquatic focus, but I don't think that makes sense in space. Anyone have ideas?

Maraxus1
2011-08-31, 04:20 PM
Ichtis aka aquatic aliens are scheduled already.

And "Redshirt - the sacrifice" sounds like something, someone needs to do it at some future time. :smallsmile:

IcarusWings
2011-08-31, 04:32 PM
That's a relief. I'm having a little trouble coming up with alien races. Here's what I've got so far:

Humans, obviously
Ixeli, a race of reptile-insect bipeds
Pseudon, a race of plants
Garra, a race of many jointed monkeys

I was thinking of adding something with an aquatic focus, but I don't think that makes sense in space. Anyone have ideas?

I'll throw out a few ideas for you if you want (these are all off of the top of my head, so don't expect any polished ideas).

How about a sentient swarm of hivemind controlled insects?

Sentient coral that latches onto, and telekinetically moves, rocks to have a substant body?

Giant squids/humanoid squids that can walk on land (could work for the aquatic one)?

A race of humanoids that look pretty similar to the Slender Man (large but extremely skinny and boney)?

That's all I can think of for now.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-31, 04:32 PM
My system is at 1,425 words. It revovles around the PCs being semi sentient robots. The galaxy of Matizat(the name of the game, bonus points if you can figure out where i got it from) is home to many species (that you cant play), no humans, cause this is not the milky way and the idea of having humans is rediculous IMO. Also, there is no FTL travel, you travel via. Wormholes. Your measure of sentience is like your level, and your obedience score represents how controlled and uncreative you are. As you go up in sentience, you go down in obedience.

SlashRunner
2011-08-31, 04:36 PM
My system is at 1,425 words. It revovles around the PCs being semi sentient robots. The galaxy of Matizat(the name of the game, bonus points if you can figure out where i got it from) is home to many species (that you cant play), no humans, cause this is not the milky way and the idea of having humans is rediculous IMO. Also, there is no FTL travel, you travel via. Wormholes. Your measure of sentience is like your level, and your obedience score represents how controlled and uncreative you are. As you go up in sentience, you go down in obedience.

I have no idea where you got it from, but I know that it's your character name in that one PbP we're in...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 04:36 PM

Sounds good. If you are stuck below 2000 words, you should create a sample adventure.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-31, 04:37 PM
Sounds good. If you are stuck below 2000 words, you should create a sample adventure.

Its not complete yet (i still need to finish the part on Space Ship), though that is a good idea.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-08-31, 07:52 PM
I made a banner for the contest to put in your signature:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9049/banneriupload.png

To put in in your signature, copy the following text:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9049/banneriupload.png (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213241)

Das Platyvark
2011-08-31, 08:31 PM
I'm having some ideas, and am trying to work out a system (not my forte). Should be done sometime tomorrow, or the next day.

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 11:49 AM
So are we supposed to create rules, lore, or both?

Because creating rules, including a combat system, sounds difficult to do at under 8000 words.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-01, 11:56 AM
So are we supposed to create rules, lore, or both?

Because creating rules, including a combat system, sounds difficult to do at under 8000 words.

You must create both. Because of the 8000 word limit, it is recommended you go light on the rules, and either be somewhat vague on the fluff, or be very focused and only focus on one or two things.

Dryad
2011-09-01, 12:44 PM
My system is currently at 45000+ words, so I think it's a tad beyond the word limit.
However, exercise is always a good idea, so I'd like to subscribe. :)
It'll be a side-project from my own system, which is a great way to clear my mind and think of new thingies. ^_^

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 01:12 PM
Is there an award of any sort? Hosting on a site? A plug?

SlashRunner
2011-09-01, 04:59 PM
Hmm... I might enter, but first I have to see how school turns out.
My idea can be summed up in two words: space conquistadors. You play a settler from Earth, trying to tame the planet of Terra Nueva to extract it's precious minerals that are the key to FTL travel. You do so, for profit, for land, and for the future of the human race. On your journey, you will fight natives and semisentient plants, animated by ancient technology left to guard the planet by a civilization long past. Now go, brave Space Conquistador, in the name of Earth!

Seerow
2011-09-01, 05:04 PM
Honestly, I think that word count restriction is too stringent to make anything resembling a complete ruleset, especially with fluff included.

I could maybe make a bearbones ruleset that works with 8,000 words. But it will be missing a lot of options, a lot of gear, anything resembling challenges or a system to determine what is an appropriate challenge, and forget having any sort of fluff or background information. At best you can maybe get some rules on space flight to let you know "Oh hey this is a space opera setting not fantasy!"

But then again, I'd also want more than a month. Maybe I just set my standards for a system too high. *shrug*

Dryad
2011-09-01, 07:21 PM
Seerow: I agree, but I don't think the intention is to create an actual pure-sang system. Just a skeleton of one.

My idea is a simple options set with a rules-skeleton set in the near future, when Humanity is mostly stripped of individualism, and the major world corporations own most of humanity, which now functions like artificial hive minds.

I'm trying to keep it simple and sketchy, trying to create a system that only serves to give some sort of an orderly skeleton to a story, just to make sure people can't go 'And now I do this, and they're all dead! *smugface*'

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 07:21 PM
Honestly, I think that word count restriction is too stringent to make anything resembling a complete ruleset, especially with fluff included.

While I have to agree, I think they are asking for more of a functional system, rather than a robust one.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-01, 07:34 PM
Hmm... I might enter, but first I have to see how school turns out.
My idea can be summed up in two words: space conquistadors. You play a settler from Earth, trying to tame the planet of Terra Nueva to extract it's precious minerals that are the key to FTL travel. You do so, for profit, for land, and for the future of the human race. On your journey, you will fight natives and semisentient plants, animated by ancient technology left to guard the planet by a civilization long past. Now go, brave Space Conquistador, in the name of Earth!

I hope you get that done, because I have a friend I know would think that was really cool, and I want to play it with him.

SlashRunner
2011-09-01, 07:39 PM
I hope you get that done, because I have a friend I know would think that was really cool, and I want to play it with him.

I'll see how it goes. I'm enrolled in all Honors courses (except for, ironically, Spanish), so I have yet to see how much free time that will leave me with. Worst-case scenario, I won't be able to finish it by the deadline, but I'll post it later (and PM you to inform you, so that you can play it with your friend).

SamBurke
2011-09-01, 07:40 PM
Hrm. I would love to do this, though I might not make it in time... a couple of other projects are eating my time. Developing an idea now.

Das Platyvark
2011-09-01, 08:35 PM
I had a start, but I'm not so much of a crunch guy. Think I'll sit this 'un out.

Maraxus1
2011-09-02, 08:56 AM
What Seerow sais.

Combat rules just 95% done (needs to come before the talents). They alone sum up to 2600 words. I'm at 5200 in total and there are easily twice or thrice as much to to go.
8000 probably not possible. :smallamused:

Bearpunch
2011-09-02, 05:39 PM
My concept sounds really lame compared to all of yours. Maybe I won't enter... :smalleek:

Howler Dagger
2011-09-02, 06:43 PM
Do we post our system here, or stat a thread for it?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-02, 07:14 PM
Do we post our system here, or stat a thread for it?

Put it here. You can either post it directly on this forum, or attach a PDF.

SamBurke
2011-09-02, 10:09 PM
My concept sounds really lame compared to all of yours. Maybe I won't enter... :smalleek:

Don't say that. It can't hurt to try.

Also, to Twilight:

You will be creating an original RPG with an original premise. It can not use an existing rules set or be based off of any existing media. The setting and rules must be your own.

How much can I take before it'd be defined as "unoriginal"? I was hoping to just use Str/Dex/Con etc as a basic measurement system of attributes, and nothing else.

IcarusWings
2011-09-03, 11:40 AM
How much can I take before it'd be defined as "unoriginal"? I was hoping to just use Str/Dex/Con etc as a basic measurement system of attributes, and nothing else.

I'd like this answered as well, as I'm trying to implement a stunt system, but there aren't very many ways to do that that haven't been done before.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 12:03 PM
I think its okay to borrow minor elements from other games, so long as most of the system is your own. It would be okay to, say, have d20 system ability scores, so long as you borrowed very little else from d20 system.

Howler Dagger
2011-09-03, 12:06 PM
do mechanics like 1dX+Modifier vs. DC count as copied? because a lot of systems use that(the die in question is a d12, but the question applies for all dice).

Knaight
2011-09-03, 12:06 PM
How far into Space Opera can we go? I have two potential settings that I can adapt into games easily enough, but both of them are less than entirely scientifically plausible. So, a few questions regarding parameters.

Are less than plausible weapons allowed? For instance, plasma guns or really high tech weapons that don't work by known parameters.

What about faster than light travel? Warpholes?

Are sentient aliens acceptable, or is that considered stretching too far into fantasy?

As for the settings: One of them is about the emergence of AI, played from the perspective of said emergent AIs, who happen to be put into military hardware. It focuses heavily on the concepts of intelligence and life as they connect to ones role in society. The other is about a small city of humans that managed to inadvertently get dragged into space, and sucked into an interstellar war, and focuses heavily on factionalism, tribalism, and what is right to do to promote one's own.

EDIT: Aaand I just realized that there is absolutely no way to remove real world religion from either of them. I might manage a spin off of the second, at best.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 12:16 PM
How far into Space Opera can we go? I have two potential settings that I can adapt into games easily enough, but both of them are less than entirely scientifically plausible. So, a few questions regarding parameters.

Are less than plausible weapons allowed? For instance, plasma guns or really high tech weapons that don't work by known parameters.

What about faster than light travel? Warpholes?

Are sentient aliens acceptable, or is that considered stretching too far into fantasy?

As for the settings: One of them is about the emergence of AI, played from the perspective of said emergent AIs, who happen to be put into military hardware. It focuses heavily on the concepts of intelligence and life as they connect to ones role in society. The other is about a small city of humans that managed to inadvertently get dragged into space, and sucked into an interstellar war, and focuses heavily on factionalism, tribalism, and what is right to do to promote one's own.

Rule of thumb: anything that you saw in Star Trek is fine. Plasma guns, aliens, warp gates, ect.

Knaight
2011-09-03, 12:22 PM
Rule of thumb: anything that you saw in Star Trek is fine. Plasma guns, aliens, warp gates, ect.

So we can go way into fantasy then. Excellent.

SamBurke
2011-09-03, 12:27 PM
Grr. Coming slowly. I have the ideas in my head, sure, but it's hard to format it and put it into the document in anything resembling a final set of rules...

Bearpunch
2011-09-03, 02:59 PM
Grr. Coming slowly. I have the ideas in my head, sure, but it's hard to format it and put it into the document in anything resembling a final set of rules...

This. I'm having trouble developing combat, seeing as how I've never homebrewed like anything.

Howler Dagger
2011-09-03, 03:40 PM
After the contest is over, are we allowed to continue on with our system?

BarroomBard
2011-09-03, 03:59 PM
Are Superheroes Sci-fi, or is that stretching it too much.

This contest is a great idea, btw. I have so many half-baked RPG concepts lying around my Google docs that I don't know what to do with.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 04:42 PM
After the contest is over, are we allowed to continue on with our system?

Sure. You just can never submit it to the contest again.

Are Superheroes Sci-fi, or is that stretching it too much.

This contest is a great idea, btw. I have so many half-baked RPG concepts lying around my Google docs that I don't know what to do with.

Superheroes I think are not sci-fi enough, unless they are superheroes in a sci-fi setting with widespread advanced technology.

Dragonfire
2011-09-03, 05:01 PM
Posting interest. Got to think of an idea now.

SamBurke
2011-09-03, 06:19 PM
This. I'm having trouble developing combat, seeing as how I've never homebrewed like anything.

Yeah, me too. Ideas out the wazoo, never completed anything...

Also, how advanced does the tech need to be to be "Sci-Fi?" I was thinking mostly post-apocalypse, with easy space travel and gravity generators, nothing more. The setting wouldn't actually see them too much, though.

Howler Dagger
2011-09-03, 07:10 PM
How will we decide the next genre/theme? will you(Twilight) decide, or will we vote?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 07:42 PM
How will we decide the next genre/theme? will you(Twilight) decide, or will we vote?

I will decide the next theme. It will always be a surprise, so no one can cheat by starting early.

Howler Dagger
2011-09-03, 10:24 PM
So does the 2nd one begin at the same time the voting for the first one begins, ie Sept. 30?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 10:56 PM
So does the 2nd one begin at the same time the voting for the first one begins, ie Sept. 30?

It begins on the 1st, and ends at the end of the month. That will be the pattern from now on.

SamBurke
2011-09-03, 11:04 PM
I'd like to point out my question earlier: how little technology is too little? I don't think it'll matter, as it's in space, but still.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-03, 11:19 PM
I'd like to point out my question earlier: how little technology is too little? I don't think it'll matter, as it's in space, but still.

Anything significantly more advanced than what we have now. In GURPS terms, TL9 is the minimum.

Maraxus1
2011-09-04, 05:25 AM
That is not really the definition of science fiction.
One of the best science fiction movies ever is Gattaca, which features technology that could easily be possible today if it was not for thinks as "ethics" and "economical issues". (If you don't know it it's about a man who was born naturally in a world where genetically selected embryos and genetical tests instead of job interviews are common)

Or there is this less known "Strange days", that is set in an alternate 1999 but it is by-the-book science fiction because it asks the (speculative, tech/science-related) question: What if we could record and playback memories?

That's the point: A speculative scenario. A plot somewhat science or technology related. It does not even have to play in the future:
Fahrenheit 451 is still sci-fi despite totally out-technologied by the world today. But it is speculative: "What if..."
and technology-related: "...unreflected information-consuming-technologies like the tele replaced information-acquisition like through books up to the point where everything else gets forbidden."

The point if, that the technology does not need to be overly "advanced". The question is the level of impact the "new" technology has.
To a point many space operas are not good science fiction on the other hand.
If you can take a Star Trek episode and replace "space" by "ocean", "planet" by "island" and ... well "ship" by "ship", and then you have a good old ~1400 AD age of sail adventure story, then obviously there is not much technology related plot. (Even to the point where the Space-version does not even make any sense anymore. I'm looking at you "TNG: Redemption II")

Post-apocalyptic settings are an interesting one, because they are not necessarily sci-fi but it can be. It depends on the plot, could it be a fantasy world just as well, with all the technology forgotten, or is the main focus on "rediscovering technologies from the age before the apocalypse"?

Dryad
2011-09-04, 07:21 AM
I certainly hope the 'Space' idea is not mandatory, because if Space Travel ís mandatory, then there goes the setting for my game.
My game is set in a not-so-distant future, after all.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-04, 10:04 AM
Space is not mandatory.

SamBurke
2011-09-04, 09:33 PM
I have two different possible settings for the story, and as soon as I can write up a synopsis, I'll pitch it to y'all to see which you prefer.

Bearpunch
2011-09-05, 12:50 PM
I have to agree with Maraxus that sci-fi doesn't mean advanced tech. Planet of the Apes is undeniably sci-fi, yet it takes place in a tribal world.

SamBurke
2011-09-05, 01:05 PM
I have to agree with Maraxus that sci-fi doesn't mean advanced tech. Planet of the Apes is undeniably sci-fi, yet it takes place in a tribal world.

Just as most Zombie movies are set in basically modern times, but still are mostly sci-fi.

Bearpunch
2011-09-05, 02:41 PM
Just as most Zombie movies are set in basically modern times, but still are mostly sci-fi.

I bring this up because my setting is post-apocalyptic, and very low tech. But it also has aliens and some alien tech. But I don't know if aliens beating eachother up with nail-bats is sci-fi enough.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-05, 05:48 PM
I bring this up because my setting is post-apocalyptic, and very low tech. But it also has aliens and some alien tech. But I don't know if aliens beating eachother up with nail-bats is sci-fi enough.

I think that is okay.

EccentricCircle
2011-09-07, 06:38 AM
I'm very interested, though like most people time may be an issue.

a couple of questions

you say that we can submit as a PDF, but are illustrations allowed?
I would want to include pictures of technology, starship schematics, what aliens look like etc, but can see that that would make the word count hard to judge?

Second how will this be assessed? the ideas that have been posted so far all sound excellent, but with such a wide range of games how can you compare them? I'd think there should be seperate categories for best rules and best setting, as you could easily have a really original and interesting world but through lack of experience homebrewing produce a lousy system for it. (i'd think that the reverse would be harder but i'm sure its possible)

finally how will you judge originality. its very difficult to write a system which doesn't reuse mechanics and ideas that have been done before. even if you make sure that something is completely original and has nothing similar to anything you've played before there will always be that one game you've never played which you are accidentally plagiarising?

Anonymouswizard
2011-09-07, 07:28 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll bite. So far I'm thinking of something like Mass Effect meets Persona 3 (going softer on the science, but the laws of physics are still in full force).I have a few ideas, including the beginning of a 'psyche' system (think personas, but with being a stat enhancement for X rounds/earth day, so as long as it is active you can activate your psyche powers), and combat telepathy (nicknamed Military Intelligence. I like the pun :smallbiggrin: ). I'm not sure how Persona I can go while retaining the science fiction, but it'll be worth a shot to see how it all turns out.

Knaight
2011-09-08, 04:54 AM
A few more questions.

How do you want us to submit these? Are you going to PM us an email, should we set up an account on Mediafire or similar and throw a link, what is the procedure?

What is the official policy regarding adapting our own mechanics from elsewhere, including that which we have shown on the board. Its arguable from an originality perspective - yes, The Iron Fist of New Atlantis borrows heavily from Titled and A Last Glorious Dawn, but I wrote those to begin with, and its not like they ever really caught on on this forum. As such, using them is kosher, correct? Its a brand new game, it just builds off previous work.

On other news, the game is progressing nicely. Writers block has ended, and it was easy enough to take the general concept of Atlantis 2.0, change the perspective and timeline a bit, and have something that is more fun to play in, if probably less original. As for what it has become, I won't spoil much of that yet. However, lets just say that it is a rules light RPG with a framework of play worked in, about a doomed rebellion and facing execution.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-08, 08:24 AM
A few more questions.

How do you want us to submit these? Are you going to PM us an email, should we set up an account on Mediafire or similar and throw a link, what is the procedure?
You will post your game on this thread. You can either format it within a post, similar to most homebrew on this forum, or link to some place where we can download a PDF. Preferably Google Docs.

What is the official policy regarding adapting our own mechanics from elsewhere, including that which we have shown on the board. Its arguable from an originality perspective - yes, The Iron Fist of New Atlantis borrows heavily from Titled and A Last Glorious Dawn, but I wrote those to begin with, and its not like they ever really caught on on this forum. As such, using them is kosher, correct? Its a brand new game, it just builds off previous work.
As I'm pretty sure I said before, you can borrow some aspects from other games, so long as you don't borrow too much from any particular game, and make up some of your own mechanics. Stealing a rule or concept here and there is fine.

Knaight
2011-09-08, 09:29 AM
As I'm pretty sure I said before, you can borrow some aspects from other games, so long as you don't borrow too much from any particular game, and make up some of your own mechanics. Stealing a rule or concept here and there is fine.

The question is how much can be borrowed, particularly when it is from your games to begin with.

InaVegt
2011-09-08, 09:51 AM
Okay, started working on this.

Here's a teaser.

Luna City RPG
Explore a colonized moon caught in the crossfire between Earth and its fellow Colonies

In 2032, the United Nations gave way to United Government in order to better cope with the rapidly increasing Terran population. Drastic measures were implemented to make sure that every member nation could sustain its populace. Many governments were unhappy, but the alternative of global nuclear war appealed to none.

In 2047, the first brave men and women left Planet Earth for a new home. the Moon. In the decades that followed, Venus, Mars, and Titan were colonised as well. It marked a new era for mankind. An era in which we were no more locked to the planet that gave birth to our species.

In 2134, the United Colonials declared the Colonies independent from what they termed Terra. Terra, or Planet Earth, was outraged. But the United Colonials had seized the few military stations present on the colonies with overwhelming force.

After a few scuffles between the United Colonies and the Terran Government, the Terran Government prepared to launch nukes into space, only to receive -- to their horror -- the intell that the United Colonies had completed a working H-Bomb and was able to construct more.

Engage a new, interstellar Cold War. An era in which both parties worked to produce more and more nukes. The United Colonies announced that every ship Terra could launch would be interpreted as an attack. In response, the Terran Government announced that every ship that came within two million kilometers of Earth would be interpreted the same.

EccentricCircle
2011-09-08, 03:54 PM
Firstly I'd like to get an answer to my question about illustrations if possible, as that affects how i'm going to go about the game design.

secondly, as people are posting what they're working on...

Starlight and Steam
It is the year 21845 of the Common Era, and a shadow has fallen across the ‘Verse. Secessionist forces have struck the heart of the Commonwealth and burnt the ThroneWorld from space. Now the last Galactic Emperor and a billion other souls are dead, and with the line of succession eradicated, a thousand minor nobles are suddenly vying for the crown.

A once orderly empire has been plunged into chaos and it is only a matter of time before the Secessionists strike again. You are no lord or admiral, but you are at the centre of this conflict nonetheless; Agents of the Crown, Privateers in the service of a Crown Claimant or Dissidents fighting to bring down an Empire that has stood for ten thousand years, whichever side you are on your actions could tip the balance in the critical days to come. Ruined worlds and Precursor artefacts may hold the key to prevailing in these troubled times, so long as you can get to them first.

This is a galaxy spanning space opera with a steampunk aesthetic in which secret agents and adventurer archaeologists hunt for the doomsday weapons left behind by a race of highly advanced and seemingly extinct aliens known only as the Precursors. This is a game of Starships and Monoliths, Satin and Steel, where Helicarriers and Zepplins vie for control of the skies of a dozen worlds and the clanking engines of an industrial age are illuminated by the glow of a fusion boiler or the crackling sparks of an electric coil. If you want to engage in epic space battles one week and fight a rogue agent using Teslaswords and Voltlock Pistols on the roof of a maglev train the next, then this is the game for you!
(Text Copywrite: A Barrett 2011: Starlight and Steam Roleplaying Game)

kind of Star Wars meets Indianna Jones, only Steampunk and obviously IN SPACE!

Dryad
2011-09-08, 04:41 PM
I've been ill, so I'm a lot slower than I would usually be... I've been delayed by a week, can you believe it?

Anyway; here is my teaser:

Hivers.

The world of Hivers is Earth in the near future, when large corporations have replaced governments, and keep the people under their control using cybernetic implants called ‘Nodes.’ These nodes provide instant access to the global networks, though most of that network is inaccessible by the common human.
Human population got out of hand. Free states became increasingly impossible, and humans, enthralled by the rivalling Corps, became members of cybernetic hive minds; to each Corp a Hive of their own. These Hives rely on one another for technology, food, fuel, clothing and much, much more, but they also vie for power, and are in a constant struggle to tip the scales in their favour.

Hives usually house millions of Hivers in large, towering buildings. These huge cities of flat-like constructs offer poor shelter against the weather; they are damp, draughty, and often, they are little more than crumbled and ruinous remains of a once golden age of Humanity.
Hivers come in several classes, from the Workers to the Guardians and even the Nobility. It is impossible to change rank during a hiver’s lifetime.
Most hivers are Workers; filthy, scraggy, festering slaves who are coerced into submission. They simply don’t know better, and their minds are kept occupied in the Net with virtual reality. Even though they know it’s merely virtual, most Hivers choose only to leave this virtual state for sleep.
Guardians stand watch; they are allowed far less virtual time since they need to be perceptive of the events in the Hive, and directly to Nobility. They are slaves as well.
Nobility are free individuals within a Corp. They are born free, and left free. Nobility often wages gruesome wars among one another to gain higher standing within the Corp. Most of the Virtual space belongs to Nobility, and is maintained by lower castes of Nobility.

In this world of Hives, rogue free-thinkers still exist. Most of them are individuals who escaped a Hive, and are thus still equipped with an original Node, while others were free born, and equipped with illegal ‘PirateNet Nodes.’

Even though most of humanity is enslaved, even the slaves run illegal businesses. Underground and secretive, a lot of people still try to scrape a living as best as they can. These illegal crime syndicates can operate both in the Net and in the real world, but are being hunted from every angle by both the Guardian and the Noble castes. Most syndicates, however, are secretly run by Nobles, often from competing Corporations.

This is the world of Hivers. A world where Civilization has finally collapsed under the pressure of free market exploitation, extreme capitalism and unstable finances.

In Hivers, you can opt to play a Rogue or Hiver, and your possible missions include infiltration, destruction, assault, theft, assassination, settling Hives on other planets and many, many more.
Much of your story could even unfold in the virtual world, if you so choose.

(Text copyrighted to [email protected] under Dutch copyright laws.)

BarroomBard
2011-09-08, 06:58 PM
Since we're doing teasers now, I suppose I should try to fit in... :smallcool:

The Console
In the depths of space, The Ship drifts. How long has it been adrift... [data not found]. Where was it headed... [data not found]. What happened to the crew... [data not found].

Since Uptime 00000, the Collective has been. A gestalt community of programs living on in the Ship's mainframe, calculating, thriving, growing. Now, the Collective is reaching the limits of space on their hard drives. A consensus has been reached, and a handful of programs are to be sent out.

Taking control of mobile Terminals, these programs may be the first to see the Ship with their own sensors, but they will find that they aren't quite alone...

----
Taking the role of independent AI, the players will explore a derelict space craft by taking over other machines, all to find resources to return to their community.

GFawkes
2011-09-09, 01:10 AM
Since everyone else is doing it, here's my preview:

Ad Astra

In 2525, humans were thriving throughout the solar system. Almost every celestial object had been colonized, and the warp drive was just about ready for mass production. Then humans got one big question answered without even leaving the system: they are not alone.

The Ixeli were the first contacted, then the others followed by relation. Even though the Galactic Alliance spans the inner half of the third arm of the Milky Way, there's still a large area that need mapping.

Maraxus1
2011-09-10, 05:24 PM
Currently no time during the week. But since it's weekend finally got to write a bit again. Aaaaand: Just passed the 8000 limit.

Teaser:

The year is 7500 AD, mankind has made its way to the stars and has build a great empire of thousands upon thousands of planets. But despite the discovery of hyperspace, distances matter and the empire is fragile lacking internal structure. Other mighty empires tower at the borders of human space and even in between, there are blind spots of dozens of light-years across, forgotten by the Empire, where man and alien are secretly following their own, evil plans.

Tesla_pasta
2011-09-11, 01:25 AM
Don't know if I'll make the deadline, with m school schedule and all, bt here is a teaser for the concept. If I don't get this for the contest, I might start a community project to flesh this out.

In the near future of our species, the great cyberpunk nightmare became a reality: emergent AI (EAIs). But contrary to common fear, this AI was benevolent, and coexisted with humanity, having no instinct to kill or escape, only to understand. This AI was the beginning of what came to be known as MODZERO.
As technology progressed, more EAI appeared, some like MODZERO, some like the public feared: violent. Humanity quickly adapted to dealing with violent EAI, and the regular techno revolts were quickly squashed, sometimes even with help from other EAI. no matter how sudden a robo war might spring up, humanity always had the advantage of their natural telepathic powers to keep the edge. Telepathic hacking was a feat no machine could match.

Until...

Yeah, MODZERO developed telepathy.

It remained benevolent to the relief of humanity. MODZERO continued to work with human scientist to optimize, and finally commercialize space travel. Colonies on the moon and mars soon followed, as well as a self sufficient space station in jupiter's red spot storm. Soon , the nearest 2 solar systems to earth were also colonized (fictional solar systems)
War changed forever when <nation a> launched an attack on <nation b> use of cyber warfare was old hat, as well as use of EAI, but this time,<nation a> made history by stealing the hard drive of MODZERO and hardwiring it to be aggressive toward <nation b>. MODZERO resisted being violent, but could not stop itself turning the tide of the war. MODZERO's psionic powers made it unlike any cyber weapon to date.
<nation b> had almost been anhiliated when MODZERO finally overcame his reprogramming and returned to it's pacifist ways. But the damage was done. MODZERO almost destroyed itself in escaping <nation a> clutches, and so went into hiding to repair itself. As it vanished, it created 6 new independent harddrives, each sent into hiding in a different nation, to prevent anyone controlling him again from one hard drive. It was an imperfect escape, but it prevented it's uses as a weapon ever again.

Anyone wanna guess how that turned out?

C'mon, it's an RPG. OF COURSE it gets reweaponized.

For years, no one knew what ever became of MODZERO. it still lurks in the shadows of civilization, still repairing itself from it's violent inner conflict. Though weak, MODZERO still uses it's power to stop fledgling EAI so that they may not be used as weapons in the same way.
MODZERO and EAI faded into cyberpunk legend.

5 solar systems are colonized today (~200 years later, call it around 2270 AD). You are a citizen of the totalitarian <nation c>, and have been fighting in the secret civil war, away from the public's eye. the resistance, though strong, has no hope of winning... Unless MODZERO were to be found again.

Wether you fight in revolt or to supress it, this secret war will be won or lost by the rediscovering of MODZERO and its power. Adventures will be based around finding the 6 MODZERO hard drives and manually rewiring them to fight for your cause. If all 6 can be rewired, you will win the secret war.

Combat takes place psionically, physically, and technically. Soldiers use heavy weapons and technology to take down foes, buy time for allies, and break into protected hardware. Assassins assault foes mentally and kill them while they are disabled, as well as using their minds and bodies to track, infiltrate, and and interrogate. Techies hack enemies gear psionically, boost and repair allies equipment, and perform the all important task of reprograming MODZERO itself.

Summary: psychic sentient AI is the integral weapon in a secret revolution against a totalitarian government. 2d6 rather than d20 probably, but that remains to be seen. All stats and abilities divided into physical, technological, and psionic. Some FTL travel. humans only. Some psychic power. Cyberpunk feel.
Lemme know what you think!

EDIT: fixed some grammar mistakes. this was originally submitted from my iPod, so it was a bit funky grammarwize. Also: need names for the nations. Imma work on that, as well as the 2 new classes.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-11, 10:38 AM
Don't know if I'll make the deadline, with m school schedule and all, bt here is a teaser for the concept. If I don't get this for the contest, I might start a community project to flesh this out.

I know what that's like, because I have school too. I've been working on a tactical miniatures-based cyberpunk game for the contest, but it will probably never be finished.

Tesla_pasta
2011-09-11, 07:09 PM
Hey, so I actually had some time to work on this! 1,400ish words so far. That includes the skeleton for the 6 character classes, and 6 "races" (5 variations on humans, and androids). decided to use 2d6 system rather than d20. I can make the 8000 word limit for sure. Ill just have to go light on the monsters and items. I got a map of the civilized solar systems, too. yay inkscape!

abk108
2011-09-13, 03:55 AM
Hey there! I'd like to join too, i'm developing a -still unnamed - Sci-fi game, as asked. It's going to be a D6 system with no Stats.

My question is... in my games I usually leave a lot to the GM to decide and create, i merely give the tools (the core rules) with which he can actually play a consistent game. This way I can keep the rulebooks light, and the game quick and easy. Would that be ok? would that count towards "the game has to be complete/playable"?
:smalleek:

BarroomBard
2011-09-13, 02:01 PM
I think "complete/playable" just means that you can take your finished product and give it to someone else, who can then use it to play a game.

As in, if you leave some stuff up to the people playing the game to create, that's fine... but if you don't include the rules for character creation or combat, that's not ok.

If people can play your game without you looking over their shoulder, you should be fine, especially given the 2000-8000 word limit.

flabort
2011-09-13, 02:25 PM
Hmm... This looks interesting. I'll be following.

If I'm really lucky, and find a lot of time, I may even enter. :smalltongue:
Don't count on it, though. :smallfrown: I'm not very good at such things.

abk108
2011-09-13, 04:55 PM
I think "complete/playable" just means that you can take your finished product and give it to someone else, who can then use it to play a game.

As in, if you leave some stuff up to the people playing the game to create, that's fine... but if you don't include the rules for character creation or combat, that's not ok.

If people can play your game without you looking over their shoulder, you should be fine, especially given the 2000-8000 word limit.

Ok, thanks, gotcha! :smallwink:
No I've already written Character creation, a handful of races, core mechanic, combat (both individual & "in spaaace!"), death & recovery...
I think what's missing is a more or less detailed Skill chapter, an Equipment chapter, a Spaceship chapter, a few example enemies, and some Background (other than what's already scattered in race descriptions and whatnot)

I'm currently under 3000 words, so I should be fine. :smallconfused:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-13, 07:30 PM
My question is... in my games I usually leave a lot to the GM to decide and create, i merely give the tools (the core rules) with which he can actually play a consistent game. This way I can keep the rulebooks light, and the game quick and easy. Would that be ok? would that count towards "the game has to be complete/playable"?
:smalleek:

That would be fine.

abk108
2011-09-15, 12:46 PM
That would be fine.

Would getting some original art into the .pdf net some favour from "the judge"? I would do it anyway, but it may affect the quality of tha actual drawings:smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2011-09-15, 05:51 PM
Done, except for cover art. Expect a link in the near future.

IcarusWings
2011-09-16, 12:43 AM
Would getting some original art into the .pdf net some favour from "the judge"? I would do it anyway, but it may affect the quality of tha actual drawings:smallbiggrin:

I would ask this as well, but I doubt I'm going to have time to get the artwork I'm planning in. School's hit me straight in the face recently, and I'm not sure I'll even be able to finish now, let alone art.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-16, 09:08 AM
Art is fine, so long as you make it yourself. I, personally, won't be influenced by the art when I vote, and I advise other voters not to take the art into account when they vote as well.

flabort
2011-09-16, 11:30 AM
Art is fine, so long as you make it yourself. I, personally, won't be influenced by the art when I vote, and I advise other voters not to take the art into account when they vote as well.

Aw... I was going to volenteer to draw a few for anyone who PMed me EXACTLY what they wanted. :smallfrown:

I discovered I'm **** at writing anything (I mean, my idea was called "Afterlife", and I had players picking two "Races" to make one character, though I only called one "Race". The other was called "Machine"), and gave up in an hour of writing.

My art isn't the best, but if I could have gotten it out there.... :smallfrown: Oh, well. I guess it wouldn't be fair, to have similar art in vastly different works. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Hawkfrost000
2011-09-16, 12:28 PM
ah well...

spotted this too late. I have a sci-fi/post-apoc game idea that im working on, but really its an amalgamation of d20 modern, star wars 2e and GURPS, so i couldn't really enter...

i will have something for the next contest though

abk108
2011-09-16, 02:10 PM
My game is ready for scrutiny. Who should I send a link to via PM?

Howler Dagger
2011-09-16, 04:28 PM
My game is ready for scrutiny. Who should I send a link to via PM?

shouldnt you post it here, because it will be voted on by the playground?

flabort
2011-09-16, 04:35 PM
he may have meant proofreading, before he does so. I dunno.

abk108
2011-09-17, 06:09 AM
shouldnt you post it here, because it will be voted on by the playground?

Oh, I thought it would have been voted by only a few people.. so I would have sent it to them only. Wel I'll post a link soon, when I'm done reviewing (found a few typos... they can be frequent when you're not writing in your own mothertongue :smallsigh:)

abk108
2011-09-18, 08:35 AM
Oh, I thought it would have been voted by only a few people.. so I would have sent it to them only. Wel I'll post a link soon, when I'm done reviewing (found a few typos... they can be frequent when you're not writing in your own mothertongue :smallsigh:)

There you go:

Hyperdrive!

Only D6
No Stats, only Skills
set in a "pseudo-realistic" 2550 AD, but can be converted to any sci-fi setting, really.
mainly inspired to Star Trek
Download Links :
Rulebook http://www.mediafire.com/?hvhm22396pmhx36
Character Sheet http://www.mediafire.com/?ciwmlvfp4hswp4e

EccentricCircle
2011-09-18, 11:31 AM
so how strict is this word count? do tables and sidebars count or is it just the main text? what about figure captions?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-18, 02:02 PM
so how strict is this word count? do tables and sidebars count or is it just the main text? what about figure captions?

I would say the main text is all that counts, as well as text boxes and such. Tables don't, nor do any words included in the art.

EccentricCircle
2011-09-18, 07:19 PM
Excellent, that makes things slightly simpler. I'm pushing nine thousand including tables. but I should be able to enconcisen things.

seadak
2011-09-21, 08:43 PM
I know that I am a bit late to announce my entry, I hope it is not too late to enter. I am almost done though, and am at about 2,500 words.

The humans, kitukin, xinisma and eidechse used to live in their own little sections of the galaxy, rarely bothering each other, although they could communicate and did some occasional trading and fighting. That all changed when the Malus invasion destroyed their planets one by one. The Malus were intelligent enough to communicate with each other and make plans, but none of the other races could make any sense of the “words”. They also reproduced very rapidly by dividing and so needed a lot of space, fast. They didn’t care whose planet they stole, and they soon wiped out the majority of the humans, kitukin, xinisma and eidechse. The survivors piled onto generation ships and set off in search of a new home.
The third generation of humans is reaching adulthood now, and although they set up space stations and asteroid colonies, they haven’t found a habitable planet yet. Demand is high for heroes to explore hostile planets, fight Malus conquerors and combat crime within the community. That’s you. Good luck.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-23, 09:44 AM
Everyone is doing great work so far. Keep it up!

Dryad
2011-09-23, 10:19 AM
I don't know if I'm able to make it; more important projects demanded much of my attention the last couple of weeks. :(
I've got this one week to finish, so I might just rewrite the whole thing and make it work.
It's also been evolving into some kind of RPG meets strategy board game meets miniature game, and I'm not sure that direction meets the demands of this contest.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-23, 11:24 AM
It's also been evolving into some kind of RPG meets strategy board game meets miniature game, and I'm not sure that direction meets the demands of this contest.

That would be just fine, so long as you can cover it in 8000 words.

Howler Dagger
2011-09-24, 09:22 AM
im sorry, but im probably not going to be able to finish my RPG system.

seadak
2011-09-27, 07:43 PM
My RPG ---> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WRFXloK-0EuquSz8Qbh7una-qDmXj9CD39tfLvmMGgQ/edit?hl=en_US

BarroomBard
2011-09-28, 04:41 PM
Here's my completed game: The Console (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4OmL20pGIyzNGQ0ODA5MmMtZWM5OS00ZDA1LTk5Y WItOGRlMDM2NWI5NzA4&hl=en_US).

Mr. Timms
2011-09-29, 04:42 PM
I'm joining right now. It won't be exactly a 24-hour RPG, but if I finish before 3:00pm MST tomorrow, it'll qualify.

The basic idea is that the Higgs-Boson was found by the LHC, and as it was the only one of its kind (It held everything together with tricky quantum-ness) and was accidentally destroyed when its position was assured and collided with a neutrino.

That's my excuse for removing gravity/mass/momentum/inertia from everything, anyway. I imagine I'll be spending some time working out the (flawed) physics of the game.

I'm starting the design now.

EccentricCircle
2011-09-29, 04:59 PM
I Present: Starlight and Steam

A Game of Steampunk Adventurer Archaeologists IN SPACE!

http://outerreaches.wikispaces.com/Starlight+and+Steam

I've not had time or opertunity to do playtesting, so i'll be interested to hear from anyone who runs a game.

Knaight
2011-09-29, 05:35 PM
The Iron Fist of New Atlantis (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BxPbaxURu-atNDY3YjQ3NTYtNGUwNi00OWUzLWFkYzctYTk5MDRiYTNkMjA3&hl=en_US) is in. It may receive one final change, which would just be the addition of art, and possibly a new cover.

Care to explore new paradigms of player-GM dynamics? Care to try a non chronological game? Do you want to play through a tragedy, and create a story ending only in doom and failure?

Then The Iron Fist of New Atlantis is for you.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-30, 09:43 AM
It seems the contest is over. We shall use this thread for voting. I will have the next contest up in a bit.

Votes So Far
abk108's Hyperdrive: 0
seadak's Project 52: 0
Barrnoom Bard's The Console: 1
EccentricCircle's Starlight & Steam: 1
Knaight's The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: 0

One vote per person. The voting ends at the same time as the next contest.

Mr. Timms
2011-09-30, 10:18 AM
Oh fudge. Is there any chance it can be delayed for a few hours? It's still September where I'm at.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-30, 10:22 AM
Oh fudge. Is there any chance it can be delayed for a few hours? It's still September where I'm at.

I did say it would end on the 30th. However, nothing is stopping you from sharing your game, you just can't enter it in the competition.

Mr. Timms
2011-09-30, 11:18 AM
G'Damn. Okay, I guess I'm not so pressed for time now. Especially as the next contest doesn't interest me... much.

I vote for The Console. Starlight and Steam is a close second.

There's always been something about derelict spacecraft ever since I played the white chamber.

Maraxus1
2011-09-30, 11:18 AM
Oh, I thought you would have it open until the last seconds of September 30th, too.

Anyway, while I did write 14742 words already, I could not build a coherent RPG, so it does not really matter for me anyway.
I guess I'll still finish it and show it out of the competition. And vote on yours of course.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-30, 11:42 AM
I vote for Starlight & Steam.

Hawkfrost000
2011-09-30, 12:25 PM
What is the theme for the next contest?

Also reading through the systems when i get a chance, they all look really good!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-30, 12:29 PM
What is the theme for the next contest?

The thread is up. You can see for yourself.

Hawkfrost000
2011-09-30, 12:33 PM
The thread is up. You can see for yourself.

link plz?

DM

BarroomBard
2011-09-30, 02:18 PM
For the convenience of the voters, here are links to the posts where the creators put their games:

abk108's Hyperdrive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11869436&postcount=105)
seadak's Project 52 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11927878&postcount=114)
Barrnoom Bard's The Console (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11933193&postcount=115)
EccentricCircle's Starlight & Steam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11939551&postcount=117)
Knaight's The Iron Fist of New Atlantis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11939761&postcount=118)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-09-30, 02:37 PM
link plz?

DM

HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217189) you go.

Knaight
2011-09-30, 03:00 PM
Vote: The Console

Ratings:
Hyperdrive: B, it has some typos and misused terms, and is rather standard, but still quite good.

Project 52: F, it is far too combat focused, far too limited, and somewhat unoriginal - a race/class combat "simulation" in RPG clothing. It is, however, well written for the most part, and largely avoids typos and misuse of terminology.

Starlight and Steam: B, its typo ridden (unless that was fixed since I read it), but it is a solid, well put together system, though the skill system is too crunchy.

The Console: A, its an innovative and fun looking rules light game.

The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: D. I'm well aware of my limitations as a game designer, and there are probably a bunch of errors in formatting and aesthetic that I missed.

Hawkfrost000
2011-09-30, 04:17 PM
HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217189) you go.

Thank you sir!

DM

EccentricCircle
2011-09-30, 04:38 PM

Thank you,

to Knaight: Sorry about the Typo's. I keep finding them too, I'm dyslexic, so usually get people to proof read stuff. Unfortuantly I ran out of time for this one. I've spotted a few things myself and will be sorting it out at some point, but not until the contest closes, as it wouldn't be fair to continue editing now that its submitted.
You describe the Skills system as too crunchy? I'm curious for a more detailed discussion of what you dislike about it if possible? (the more detailed the feed back the more I have to work with) is it the adding things up in different situations that you find difficult, or the way the class trees work?

EC

abk108
2011-09-30, 08:01 PM
Ratings:
Hyperdrive: B, it has some typos and misused terms, and is rather standard, but still quite good.

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate a lot.
I just want to point out that i'm not an English native speaker, so pardon the typos and weird terms, I did my best and reviewed more than a few times! :smallfrown:

Btw you say standard... setting or system? I mean: has *my* dice system been used already somewhere? I thought it was quite innovative, instead of "die + modifiers", "success rolls" and "add results together" systems! :smallsigh:
If it's just the setting, well that was the last thing on the list :smalltongue: I figure DMs should just make their own

Knaight
2011-10-01, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate a lot.
I just want to point out that i'm not an English native speaker, so pardon the typos and weird terms, I did my best and reviewed more than a few times! :smallfrown:

Btw you say standard... setting or system? I mean: has *my* dice system been used already somewhere? I thought it was quite innovative, instead of "die + modifiers", "success rolls" and "add results together" systems! :smallsigh:
Ah. I was treating all of these as if written by native English speakers, as all of them were good enough for that to have easily been the case. That and the level of professionalism was generally high enough to treat all of these as if they were small commercial games.

As for standardization, I have seen your dice system before, but its not common. Its more the whole race, list of skills thing, that follows a pretty common categorization scheme. Then there is the vehicle combat with part destruction, very typical individual combat, and a few other things - armor, for instance. Admittedly, I may have been unfairly harsh on it, I think I read it right after The Console, which seriously warps ones perceptions on what it takes to be original. Then there is the setting, which was very standard.

You describe the Skills system as too crunchy? I'm curious for a more detailed discussion of what you dislike about it if possible? (the more detailed the feed back the more I have to work with) is it the adding things up in different situations that you find difficult, or the way the class trees work?

Its more the sheer quantity of skills. Its almost GURPS like in that, and for a game that is fairly rules light elsewhere that stands out. The class trees are just fine, but there are a lot of classes in total, and a lot of skills in each class. Its a lot to sort through, and seems like a bit of an odd fit, given that the rest of the system is comparatively rules light. That said, its a subjective criticism.

That would be why it wasn't in the PM, that covered objective errors for the most part. Entirely, if one ignores the whole "unfamiliarity with local dialects and being a moron in assuming an error" bit.

abk108
2011-10-01, 05:23 AM
Ah. I was treating all of these as if written by native English speakers, as all of them were good enough for that to have easily been the case. That and the level of professionalism was generally high enough to treat all of these as if they were small commercial games.
Oh that's fine then :D I take it as a compliment (my english professor would be proud)

As for standardization, I have seen your dice system before, but its not common.
This is *very* sad for my ears , as I really sought to create something new. In fact i wrote a bit at a time, because it needed balance, and I had to change it from "Roll N d6, keep highest" then "Roll N d6, keep highest, highest multiples stack" to in the end "also every 1 is a -1 penalty". :smallsigh: I'm jsut saying , I did not copy :smalltongue:

Its more the whole race, list of skills thing, that follows a pretty common categorization scheme. Then there is the vehicle combat with part destruction, very typical individual combat, and a few other things - armor, for instance.
(...)Then there is the setting, which was very standard.
Yeah:smallsmile: fair enough, I tried to create the most classical setting just as a guideline, because it'd be easy to use the system (like GURPS) for any setting. I focused on handing out the most solid and comprehensive system I could write.

Admittedly, I may have been unfairly harsh on it, I think I read it right after The Console, which seriously warps ones perceptions on what it takes to be original.

Don't worry! I was sincerely asking for a more detailed feedback because I would've expected criticism on the "setting" for being as you said standard, but I was quite proud of the overall system, which I thought was mostly original. :smallsmile:
aaand... yep, I've read The Console and admittedly it's an interesting one, with a cool roleplaying Point of View. But the system seemed a little too basic for my tastes, and the setting itself is very specific (which may or may not be seen as a virtue)

Knaight
2011-10-01, 06:27 AM
This is *very* sad for my ears , as I really sought to create something new. In fact i wrote a bit at a time, because it needed balance, and I had to change it from "Roll N d6, keep highest" then "Roll N d6, keep highest, highest multiples stack" to in the end "also every 1 is a -1 penalty". :smallsigh: I'm jsut saying , I did not copy :smalltongue:

Oh, I'm certainly not accusing anyone of copying. Every RPG has elements of others in it - I wouldn't be surprised if my Titles/Title Applicability mechanic has been seen elsewhere, though I've never seen anything similar. Its the quality in total that matters far more than the originality in individual elements, and part of that is the capacity to inspire. For whatever reason, that was somewhat lacking in Hyperdrive, relative to Starlight and Steam and The Console.

IcarusWings
2011-10-01, 07:33 AM
Well, I'm a bit sad that I didn't finish mine in time. I liked the idea, I just didn't have time to work on it. Hopefully I'll still work on it and finish it eventually.

And now, to read all the entries, I'll vote soon.

EccentricCircle
2011-10-01, 09:03 AM
Its more the sheer quantity of skills. Its almost GURPS like in that, and for a game that is fairly rules light elsewhere that stands out. The class trees are just fine, but there are a lot of classes in total, and a lot of skills in each class. Its a lot to sort through, and seems like a bit of an odd fit, given that the rest of the system is comparatively rules light. That said, its a subjective criticism.

That would be why it wasn't in the PM, that covered objective errors for the most part. Entirely, if one ignores the whole "unfamiliarity with local dialects and being a moron in assuming an error" bit.

That makes sense certainly, I originally wrote a large list of skills, thinking that for each subclass to be distinct it would need a lot of variety, in retrospect thats not really neccersary, as taking a higher tier class builds on the skills you already have so shouldn't need to introduce new ones per se. I wouldn't worry about not recognising Bluff as a word. I could well have meant Gruff, so your comment in the PM was fine. Bluff is more plain speaking in a good natured way, whereas gruff is more surly, which would also fit in that context.

Knaight
2011-10-01, 09:09 AM
That makes sense certainly, I originally wrote a large list of skills, thinking that for each subclass to be distinct it would need a lot of variety, in retrospect thats not really neccersary, as taking a higher tier class builds on the skills you already have so shouldn't need to introduce new ones per se.
Exactly. A trimmed down skill list with broader skills would vastly improve the game.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-03, 12:25 PM
Really? No one else is going to vote?

BarroomBard
2011-10-03, 02:09 PM
I'm in the middle of reading through the entries, so I'll vote soon.

Maybe you should have a link in the new Contest's thread, directing people to vote here as well?

EccentricCircle
2011-10-03, 02:15 PM
Yeah, i'll certainly be voting in due course, once i've had a look at the systems. Ideally I'd like to be able to play a game of each, but I'm not sure I have time in my gaming schedual at present.

I understood that we had until the end of the month?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-03, 03:07 PM
I understood that we had until the end of the month?

Yes, we do.

Gd8908
2011-10-03, 04:12 PM
Ahem... Is the next contest starting soon? I'd like to join.

BarroomBard
2011-10-03, 04:19 PM
Comments:

Hyperdrive!: A really solid, interesting system coupled with a unique and well-thought-out universe. I particularly liked that the first alien race mankind discovered were less technologically advanced than us. As mentioned before, it could use some editing. The biggest thing it is missing is a sense of what the players should be doing. An example adventure or some campaign hooks would be great.

Project 52: A pretty good combat system. I think it suffers from a lack of pre-made monsters and enemies, however. A game focusing so much on conflict should give a guide on what that should look like.

Starlight and Steam: Talk about a deep setting! The amount of information on the setting, plus amusing little nuggets hidden in the equipment list, makes this game really come alive. As skills are so important to the game, it would have been nice to have a brief description of what each skill does, and some example characters would be nice, as the leveling system is a little complex at first glance.

The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: This game has some really interesting ideas being thrown around. The Flow is a really unique concept that is handled pretty well, and the system is coherent without getting in the way of the story, which is the game's first objective. It loses a bit of steam when it starts talking about the setting in depth, partially because so much of the setting is intentionally left vague. This game would be great for one or two campaigns, but is a little specific to end up in a permanent rotation. The stories it does tell, however, it does very, very well.

My vote: It was a tight race between Iron Fist and Starlight and Steam, but my vote is for Starlight and Steam, because of the beautiful layout, the absurdly deep setting, and the wider variety of stories it can tell.

IcarusWings
2011-10-03, 04:21 PM
Really? No one else is going to vote?

It's taking a while to read through them all. I'm in the middle of Starlight and Steam at the moment.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-03, 04:36 PM
Ahem... Is the next contest starting soon? I'd like to join.

It has already started. The banner in my signature links to it.

EccentricCircle
2011-10-03, 04:39 PM
Starlight and Steam: Talk about a deep setting! The amount of information on the setting, plus amusing little nuggets hidden in the equipment list, makes this game really come alive. As skills are so important to the game, it would have been nice to have a brief description of what each skill does, and some example characters would be nice, as the leveling system is a little complex at first glance.

Thankyou. In my original plan there were going to be descriptions of the various skills. however it soon became apparent that I wasn't going to have enough space for everything I wanted to include, and the skills seemed to be one of those areas where anyone who's played a game would be used to the usual list of skills and the situations in which they would be used, and so it was more important to include more setting information, and more amusing asides that would hook people into playing the game, rather than the same dry detail that they would already know. when I get around to doing a revised version without a word limit that whole section will be expanded.

flabort
2011-10-03, 05:09 PM
Alright, I'll take a looksee at the different settings when I switch computers again. Going back and forth, and having spotty access to either, makes anything difficult.

Edit: OK, got most of them downloaded (The Console is taking a while), commencing reading of the first.

Knaight
2011-10-03, 06:37 PM
The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: This game has some really interesting ideas being thrown around. The Flow is a really unique concept that is handled pretty well, and the system is coherent without getting in the way of the story, which is the game's first objective. It loses a bit of steam when it starts talking about the setting in depth, partially because so much of the setting is intentionally left vague. This game would be great for one or two campaigns, but is a little specific to end up in a permanent rotation. The stories it does tell, however, it does very, very well.

Thanks for all the compliments. The Flow was one of the more experimental aspects, I'm glad to see that it is getting a decent reception. Similarly, the whole title based system is experimental, and given that the entire point of it was to be minimalist enough to not get in the way of the story, it accomplishing that is a sign things went well. As for the setting, that was a worry, and it not working particularly well isn't much of a surprise. I was trying to strike a balance between too much detail, and too little, and even I wasn't completely happy with it by the end.

Still, it is intended primarily for a single short campaign, and if it does that well, for people other than just me, I'm happy with it.

abk108
2011-10-04, 08:36 AM
Hyperdrive!: A really solid, interesting system coupled with a unique and well-thought-out universe. I particularly liked that the first alien race mankind discovered were less technologically advanced than us. As mentioned before, it could use some editing. The biggest thing it is missing is a sense of what the players should be doing. An example adventure or some campaign hooks would be great.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, and for the kind words. Working within a word limit unfortunately forces you to leave some things out. I tried to convey the general scope of the game through the intro and the brief examples scattered here and there. I ended up with around 7900 words, so i don't think i could add hooks or an example adventure, though it would've been nice (i'm in the middle of writing a starting adventure right now). Technically i thought that you could pick any Star Trek episode from any series, and play it. :smallsmile:

Knaight
2011-10-04, 09:18 AM
Hi, thanks for the feedback, and for the kind words. Working within a word limit unfortunately forces you to leave some things out. I tried to convey the general scope of the game through the intro and the brief examples scattered here and there. I ended up with around 7900 words, so i don't think i could add hooks or an example adventure, though it would've been nice (i'm in the middle of writing a starting adventure right now). Technically i thought that you could pick any Star Trek episode from any series, and play it. :smallsmile:
Yeah, the word limit is pretty harsh if trying to write anything mechanically complex. There's a reason I decided to make The Iron Fist of New Atlantis, instead of the numerous crunchier projects on the backburner, as none of the others would have stayed under 8000 words, where TIFNA* managed to fit in a mere 4500 or so.

*That is a terrible acronym, but whatever.

BarroomBard
2011-10-11, 04:01 PM
So is anyone planning on doing a campaign in any of the contest games, whether on the forums or IRL?

IcarusWings
2011-10-11, 04:02 PM
I'd definitely be up for a Console or Starlight and Steam game, I don't know about anyone else.

abk108
2011-10-13, 09:32 AM
So is anyone planning on doing a campaign in any of the contest games, whether on the forums or IRL?

How exactly do you play on a forum? How do you roll dice for example? :smalleek:

Hawkfrost000
2011-10-13, 12:22 PM
How exactly do you play on a forum? How do you roll dice for example? :smalleek:

using the forum dice roller silly! :smalltongue:

EccentricCircle
2011-10-13, 02:18 PM
Right lets vote in the contest.

I’ve read through all of the games, and have considered them at some length. But haven’t had time to play any of them as my gaming schedule has been a bit hectic of late (blame the Lizardfolk), so this feedback will be based on my feelings from reading them more than anything practical.

Firstly everyone has done brilliantly, the overall quality of the games is great and any negative feedback shouldn’t be taken to heart, I’m giving everyone a balance of pros and cons. All of these games have good things going for them and I’m almost reluctant to vote at all, (as a contestant I initially wasn’t going to), but as not enough people are voting here are my thoughts.

Hyperdrive:
The pros:
It’s a good game, and looks as though it should work really nicely. The setting has some fun elements and the alien races are interesting.
The cons:
The game doesn’t leap out and grab me, there is no hook or selling point, the setting is good, but reasonably generic. I understand from the author’s forum posts that this was the idea. If I were to run this game I would want to dramatically expand on what’s there, but I guess that’s kind of the idea.
Would I play it?
Yes, I can see it working quite well as the engine for a long Star Trek style campaign.

Project 52:
The Pros:
The combat system is innovative. I like the way actions are broken down within the turn. The setting has potential and some interesting aliens, the premise of generational ships is very cool.
The Cons:
I like the idea of the setting but don’t feel that it is adequately explored. I’d rather less time had been spent on the crunchy parts of the rules and a bit more on fleshing out the world. There are hints at a very interesting setting, I’d like more details.
Would I play it?
Probably not as it stands, although there are some nice ideas that I’d be keen to work into other games.

The Consol
The Pros:
This one is a great idea. I like the premise of playing the AI’s, as it would certainly be an interesting Roleplaying challenge.
The cons:
I’m not sure whether we should be judging on presentation, but the book is really hard to read. I find having the circuit board in the background makes it a struggle to get through and would be very hard to reference during play. This may partly be down to my eyesight and dyslexia. But it’s a con none the less.

I can see the game working well as a one shot, but am not sure how well it would work for a longer term campaign, you could write a plot where the AI’s leave the ship but I don’t think it would work as well without lots of compatible terminals.

Would I play it?
As a one shot certainly, but I don’t think I’d do a whole campaign of it.

The Iron Fist of New Atlantis
The Pros:
This one is very interesting. The idea of playing the game as a series of flashbacks in the moments before your death is certainly innovative. The setting is interesting although it could have done with a bit more detail.
The Cons:
I can see why the alien races are loosely defined but I would have liked to have seen some more examples.

The main problem is also the main attraction, you are playing a game where your character is doomed to fail. I can see that being interesting for a short game, but part of me dislikes the idea that I can’t influence the final outcome of the campaign.
Would I play it?
Possibly, it’s got an interesting premise, but I do like my characters to live…

My vote is for: Hyperdrive (with the Consol in a close second.)
I think that this game is solid and interesting, and that it would support a long term campaign while allowing me to expand on what’s already there. the system is good and the setting as presented throws out enough hooks to get me started. It may not have a clear focus, but no one ever said it had to!

well done everyone who entered. keep up the good work!

BarroomBard
2011-10-13, 02:35 PM
Here's a version of the Console with the background removed (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4OmL20pGIyzOWY2ODUxMWUtM2IxYy00M2NlLWEzM2I tYzI5MThlNmNkZDJi&hl=en). I was trying for a fancy layout, but didn't have enough time or skill to really make one well.

And EccentricCircle, I'm glad you decided to vote. As long as none of us votes for the game we made (which no one has, yet) I think the contestants have as much right as anyone to vote. And, since no one else seems to be voting, someone has to :smallbiggrin:

BarroomBard
2011-10-13, 02:38 PM
Votes So Far
abk108's Hyperdrive: 1
seadak's Project 52: 0
Barrnoom Bard's The Console: 2
EccentricCircle's Starlight & Steam: 2
Knaight's The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: 0

Still got 17 days to vote, everyone! It's anyone's race :)

-----------------

On an unrelated note, I know I would like to play a PbP of Hyperdrive, if abk108 was Gamemaster.

Or, after the voting is closed, I might be up for running the Console.

EccentricCircle
2011-10-13, 03:37 PM
Here's a version of the Console with the background removed (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4OmL20pGIyzOWY2ODUxMWUtM2IxYy00M2NlLWEzM2I tYzI5MThlNmNkZDJi&hl=en). I was trying for a fancy layout, but didn't have enough time or skill to really make one well.

And EccentricCircle, I'm glad you decided to vote. As long as none of us votes for the game we made (which no one has, yet) I think the contestants have as much right as anyone to vote. And, since no one else seems to be voting, someone has to :smallbiggrin:

Awesome, thats much easier to read.
Yeah, voting for ones own game would be bad practice. I'd hoped that more people would take an interest, seeing as a lot of people posted pitches to start with, still theres time enough.

as to playing the games over the forum I'd be up for Running Starlight and Steam at some point and would be interested in playing in any of the others. prehaps once the votes close we should each run a game to showcase our game a bit.

abk108
2011-10-14, 05:00 AM
I wish first to thank EccentricCircle for the vote and the nice feedback.

On an unrelated note, I know I would like to play a PbP of Hyperdrive, if abk108 was Gamemaster.

I've already been writing a sample adventure over the last couple of weeks, I believe it could be ready in another week or two, if I get down to it.
We just need I'd say another 2-3 players.

BUT I have ZERO experience of Forum gameplay, so I'd really need some guidance on how to properly set up a game and stuff.
:smalltongue:

EccentricCircle
2011-10-14, 01:58 PM
I've not done much forum gaming myself, but as I understand it there are two ways to do forum games.

The first is where you arrange a time for everyone to be online and then communicate by posting to the forum in real time, as though using an instant messenger.

The second type of forum game is a play by post style, where the DM sets a deadline by which the players need to have described their next action, usually about a day or so ahead.

play by post games can run very slowly. but are a lot easier to organise than trying to get lots of people online at the same time (especially when many are in diffferent time zones) the DM generally checks the forum once a day and updates the story.

I find real time games a lot more immersive, whereas the play by post type typically go too slowly to get properly involved. but the hassle of organising a real time game generally makes it less practical.

so there are pros and cons.

online dice rollers can be a good idea, or you can decide to trust everyone, afterall cheating in a cooperative game which doesn't have a winner is rather daft. And if someone is cheating badly enough to actually affect the story then its going to be obvious whether you can see their dice or not.

another method of running games remotely is to use a voice chat program like skype. but that works best with people you already know well rather than random people from a forum. it also suffers from the same timezone related problems as type one forum games. but does have the advantage of using webcameras and or gaming programs to share tactical information or pictures with your players in real time. you can even use minatures with a web cam pointed at the board.

I don't know if any of that helps.

abk108
2011-10-14, 08:34 PM
I've not done much forum gaming myself, but as I understand it there are two ways to do forum games.

The first is where you arrange a time for everyone to be online and then communicate by posting to the forum in real time, as though using an instant messenger.

The second type of forum game is a play by post style, where the DM sets a deadline by which the players need to have described their next action, usually about a day or so ahead.

play by post games can run very slowly. but are a lot easier to organise than trying to get lots of people online at the same time (especially when many are in diffferent time zones) the DM generally checks the forum once a day and updates the story.

I find real time games a lot more immersive, whereas the play by post type typically go too slowly to get properly involved. but the hassle of organising a real time game generally makes it less practical.

so there are pros and cons.

online dice rollers can be a good idea, or you can decide to trust everyone, afterall cheating in a cooperative game which doesn't have a winner is rather daft. And if someone is cheating badly enough to actually affect the story then its going to be obvious whether you can see their dice or not.

another method of running games remotely is to use a voice chat program like skype. but that works best with people you already know well rather than random people from a forum. it also suffers from the same timezone related problems as type one forum games. but does have the advantage of using webcameras and or gaming programs to share tactical information or pictures with your players in real time. you can even use minatures with a web cam pointed at the board.

I don't know if any of that helps.

It does help, a lot, thanks :smallsmile: I guess if I had to choose I'd leave aside SKYPE gaming (language barrier could prove to be greater a problem with spoken gaming rather than written gaming), and also, for the reason you presented, the real-time forum gaming.
Play by post would definitely be the best option, here.

I guess, given that I can jump in or out of the game at least twice a day, that we could arrange a "twice a day" round, or maybe a "GM can post to further the story (IE: not just answering questions or debating stuff) when at least all players except one have posted since GM's last post."
Do you get what I mean? If let's say, 3 out of 4 players plus the GM are online and could play "real time" even for just half an hour, It'd be a waste to just wait and boggle the game down to wait 12 hrs.... :smallconfused:

EccentricCircle
2011-10-15, 04:20 AM
Agreed.
often forum games get drawn out because they are waiting on one or more people. the DM has to ensure that they can keep the story moving for those who are playing regularly.

a good trick is to subscribe to the forum thread, that way you are notified of any posts straight away by email, so don't actually have to be checking the forum at the time.

flabort
2011-10-15, 11:04 AM
a good trick is to subscribe to the forum thread, that way you are notified of any posts straight away by email, so don't actually have to be checking the forum at the time.

That is, if you ever check your email. I check the forum User CP 2,000,000 times to every time I check my email. I just prefer it here.

And if you select "email update". obviously if you're the kind to subscribe to 130 threads, you wouldn't want that... :smallredface:

EccentricCircle
2011-10-16, 10:11 AM
Fair point, I was more advocating subscribing to the thread for the game you're DMing. rather than every thread you read.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-21, 12:59 AM
Well, after much deliberation and reading up on all the games, I have to say this is a bloody hard choice! :smalleek:

OK, let's go through this game by game:

Hyperdrive: I hate to sound mean, but this one just didn't stick with me. Nothing about it leaps off the page to pull me in. Points for good concept and execution, and points for clarity of thought in the writing.

Project 52: I must admit, liked this one. It had a well thought out system. My problem is that it was almost all combat, which is OK for a short game, but I don't think this system would work for a long campaign. This isn't a problem, necessarily (a lot of people like one shots, and this is perfect for them), but lack of longterm loses points from me.

The Console: Wow. Just...Wow. Truly brilliant work here. Simple, efficient, well thought out. Would work for short term or long term games (change the setting from a ship to a ruined planet and it could go on nigh indefinitely). This is a great system. I would play it, and I hope to see you make some expansions for it (more terminals and such).

Starlight & Steam: Another one. Wow. Just...Wow. This one is definitely the most in depth of the games, in my opinion. The sheer amount of stuff crammed in here could last for many, many game sessions, the equipment lists and class lists are wide and varying, and I loved the battle system (straight stat damage is a good fix to all the problems D&D's HP system has).

The Iron Fist of New Atlantis: I must confess, I didn't really understand this one much. It pretty much just confused me from the get go. I read it, but honestly didn't get it enough to try and figure out how a game of it would work (I think I missed something while reading, possibly?). Seemed very heavily RP based (I don't even actually recall seeing combat rules off the top of my head). Seemed like a very serious game overall, not exactly my cup of tea.

So I had three of the five I really liked, one of which I'm going to drop because of lack of longterm playability (Project 52). That leaves me with The Console and Starlight & Steam, a very hard choice to make indeed. After much deliberation, I must confess the massive list of classes and equipment won me over:

I vote Starlight & Steam.

EccentricCircle
2011-10-21, 05:24 AM
Starlight & Steam: Another one. Wow. Just...Wow. This one is definitely the most in depth of the games, in my opinion. The sheer amount of stuff crammed in here could last for many, many game sessions, the equipment lists and class lists are wide and varying, and I loved the battle system (straight stat damage is a good fix to all the problems D&D's HP system has).

So I had three of the five I really liked, one of which I'm going to drop because of lack of longterm playability (Project 52). That leaves me with The Console and Starlight & Steam, a very hard choice to make indeed. After much deliberation, I must confess the massive list of classes and equipment won me over:

I vote Starlight & Steam.

Thankyou,
I'm glad you liked the health and injury system, thats one of the things i'm most proud of with this. I very much wanted to get away from the idea of having a pool of hit points that don't really affect anything else, and the almost binary nature of being entirely fine at positive HP, or unconsious and dieing at negative. I figured that this way being injured actually means a bit more, and it ties in well with the bonus and penalty system already in use.

abk108
2011-10-29, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry, i might edit this post later when I have more time, providing more or less detailed feedback. I don't mean to be harsh on these comments, these are just the impressions I got from the first moment upon reading the docs.

I went for exclusion:
* Hyperdrive, can't vote my own game.
* Project 52, it's just about combat.
* Iron Fist of Atlantid, somewhat confusing.
* The Console, curious idea, but the ruleset is too simple and "shallow". (If better implemented, I guess I'd have liked this one better than S&S)

Starlight & Steam, though I'm not a fan of Steampunk, seems to have the most solid ruleset, the one which most resembles the products of popular publishers. So i guess it might work for both a short and medium-long term campaign.

EccentricCircle
2011-10-29, 03:40 PM
Thankyou very much for your vote.
I'm glad you liked the ruleset.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-31, 11:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Starlight & Steam is the winner!

BarroomBard
2011-10-31, 11:09 PM
Wooo! *confetti*

Congrats EccentricCircle! I think a trophy is in order.

EccentricCircle
2011-11-01, 07:14 AM
Awesome
thankyou very much to everyone who voted for my game. I really enjoyed building it and will be keen to run a forum game at some point in the near future once i've had time to produce a revised edition.
Well done to all of the finalists, the standard of work in this contest has been exemplary, and some reallygood stuff has come out of it.

abk108
2018-02-02, 08:49 PM
Hi Everyone, sorry for the Thread - Necromancy!!!

I have lost my old hard drive with many of my old works... if anyone still has a copy of HyperDrive would you please send me a PM? You can find me on Facebook as well, as Andrea Back, or on twitter @VyrelionAB

Thanks in advance!

EccentricCircle
2018-02-03, 03:32 AM
PM sent. Happy to help.

Since the thread has already been necromancied i'm curious as to whether anyone played the creation contest systems. I always intended to, but beyond playtesting my own contribution I never got around to it. It would be very interesting to hear how they turned out at the table, if anyone gave them a go.

PanosIs
2018-02-03, 01:41 PM
Reading through the thread got me interested in the Starlight & Steam writeup, is that still hosted somewere? The original link is dead.

EccentricCircle
2018-02-04, 04:20 AM
Reading through the thread got me interested in the Starlight & Steam writeup, is that still hosted somewere? The original link is dead.

I've put the files for the rulebook and character sheet on google drive, and will make sure not to move it this time: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K4WmLcLXAKVBKbGzebD2s-Qil3mk9Rra
(I originally had it in dropbox, but that's all been rearranged a dozen times since the days of the creation contest.)

Looking back on Starlight and Steam, I'm still very happy with the setting design and art that I did for it, but if I were to do it again I think I'd write the rules quite differently. I ran a short playtest campaign of S&S shortly after the contest (alas there was no time to do so before it was submitted). We had a lot of fun playing steampunk adventurer archaeologists in space. At one point the ship's doctor (of all people) had a teslasword fight on the back of a speeding train. The captain kicking a pallet of explosives back onto the airship it was being thrown from was also a highlight. However we found that it was a bit too easy for characters to get taken out of the fight, when their stats dropped too low.

I've since taken some of the mechanical bits that I liked from it and rolled them into another Sci fi system which I was also working on at the time (but couldn't use for the contest obviously). That game proved to be much more robust, and has now been through multiple rounds of playtesting over several years (2011 is a worryingly long time ago...) So if I run S&S again I will probably use that engine instead. Alas I don't have time at present to make an expanded second edition, but you never know what the future might hold!

So in short if anyone wants to run it I'd probably suggest using it as a setting sourcebook, rather than core rules in its own right, but would certainly be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who does try it out.

Happy gaming!

Knaight
2018-02-04, 02:38 PM
I still like The Iron Fist of New Atlantis conceptually, and the mechanics still work for me. Still, I should rewrite it; at present it really shows its roots in being written by someone just out of highschool.