PDA

View Full Version : Can't Edit Signature

Ajadea
2011-08-27, 07:53 PM
I cannot edit my signature for whatever reason-trying to gives me an error message saying that I do not have the authority to do that. Which is kinda absurd, considering I am still logged in and all. Help?

I'm using Safari, if it matters.

Zherog
2011-08-27, 09:42 PM
You aren't mentioning a lynx by any chance, are you? Or putting two spaces after a colon?

Ajadea
2011-08-27, 09:58 PM
What I type in is generally some variant on

I now have internet! :smallsmile:

No spaces after the smiley.

Zherog
2011-08-27, 10:08 PM
Are you replacing the last line (I would assume)? Do you get the error when you go to edit, or when you go to save it?

Ajadea
2011-08-27, 10:12 PM
Yes, replacing the last line. I get the error when I try to save.

Zherog
2011-08-27, 10:29 PM
How 'bout trying it in pieces? First replace the existing text with I now have internet! If that works, go back and see if you can add the smiley.

Ajadea
2011-08-27, 10:53 PM
Didn't work... it gave me this error message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/profile.php on this server.

Rawhide
2011-08-27, 11:04 PM
I just changed it for you with no issues. Perhaps it had something to do with the number of spaces you were using.

Ajadea
2011-08-28, 12:23 AM
Thanks! Um...why would the number of spaces have any issue?

Rockphed
2011-08-29, 11:47 AM
Thanks! Um...why would the number of spaces have any issue?

The forum software is kinda ...touchy... about a couple things. Lynx is one. Double spaces is another. The real problem is that whether or not it goes into a screaming fit over it is not always predictable.

For instance, I typically, against advice, good judgement, or typing conventions, double space after a period. Nobody can tell unless they count spaces on a quote, and possibly not even then, because most browsers eliminate excess whitespace. I cannot remember whether I have ever had problems posting (aside from the typical "server busy" or "your connection died" stuff). However, some people have problems with double spacing, particularly after colons (':'). Since all board smileys are preceded and followed by a colon, if you are putting multiple spaces around the colon you might be triggering whatever problem there is.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to break my habit of double spacing? If you answered "really, really, hard", you got it right.

Ajadea
2011-08-30, 09:37 PM
So...it seems I have found the root of my problem at long last. Namely, faulty cable equipment that refuses to take the input of my computer. This translates to no editing posts or my signature, and no uploading anything to anywhere...

Yeah. Sorry about bugging you when the problem was on my end. This thread can be locked now, though I will remember not to mention lynxes ever. :smallredface: