PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Fleshgrinding question

big teej
2011-08-27, 10:59 PM
so... I'm creating a new character, an archer to be exact.

and I'm looking at my stack of books wondering what enchantments to put on it.

and then I see the book of vile darkness, which contains fleshgrinding.

a lightbulb goes off in my head and I begin to laugh evilly.

I turn to the page with fleshgrinding on it and check to see if it is restricted to "melee weapons only"

it is not.
only "slashing or piercing" weapons....

this means I could place it on a bow or crossbow correct?

is there anything anywhere that says I can't do that?
(Online errata doesn't count, it has to be written down in a hardcopy book somewhere)

failing being able to put it on the bow itself, how about the ammunition?

tyckspoon
2011-08-27, 11:20 PM
?? The copy of Vile Darkness I have says 'slashing or piercing melee weapon' in like the first line. The reprint of the property in the Magic Item Compendium also specifies melee weapon. Read it again, I guess?

big teej
2011-08-27, 11:27 PM
so it does.

spot check fail!!!! :smallsigh:

I guess I got to caught up in the excitement of my idea to notice it :smallredface:

Elboxo
2011-08-28, 01:57 AM
What if a melee weapon is thrown......
*Cough* BloodStorm Blade, page 100 Tome of Battle *cough*

Cog
2011-08-28, 06:29 AM
What if a melee weapon is thrown......
*Cough* BloodStorm Blade, page 100 Tome of Battle *cough*
BsB treats it as a melee attack anyway when doing so, so that's
how it's supposed to work.

2xMachina
2011-08-28, 07:09 AM
If you BSB it, it's not really broken.

Cause, each thrown weapon needs Fleshgrinding. However, if it applies to bows, you can shoot Fleshgrinding arrows like no one's business.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-28, 07:12 AM
1. Acquire a number of Fleshgrinding Daggers
2. Bloodstorm Blade
3. Master Thrower
4. Palm Throw
5. Win?

2xMachina
2011-08-28, 07:16 AM
You need a lot of +3 daggers. It's bloody expensive.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-28, 07:26 AM
You need a lot of +3 daggers. It's bloody expensive.

It should only require two. Palm throw lets us throw two daggers per attack and Lightning Ricochet causes our weapons to return immediately after we throw then. If we dual wield daggers then the number becomes four which is a bit pricier however.

2xMachina
2011-08-28, 08:21 AM
Fleshgrinding needs to stick before doing damage IIRC. If you bounce it back, it doesn't do anything.

Cog
2011-08-28, 09:27 AM
However, if it applies to bows, you can shoot Fleshgrinding arrows like no one's business.
Unless a magic weapon property has a clause saying that it transfers to ammo, it does not.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-28, 02:40 PM
How would fleshgrinding stack/synergize with a lifedrinker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#lifeDrinker) weapon? Does it just become an automatic -12 levels (1 hit, and 5 rounds of grinding). And does the 'wielder' continue to take the negative levels even though he's not actually swinging it? (Assuming he's dumb enough not to have a deathward or soulfire armor)

Or the rest of these enchantments? Do the ones that affect on a crit end up being useless? Or only come into play during the grinding if the attack that initiated the grinding was a crit?

{table=Head]Name|Book|Cost|Effect|Save
Wounding |DMG|+2|1 Con damage|None
MarrowCrushing |BoVD|+3|1 Con Damage|None
Enfeebling|BoED|+1|crit, 1d6+2 Temp Str Damage|None
Paralyzing|BoED|+2|Paralyzed up to 10 rounds|Will 17
Roaring|BoED|+3|Shaken, 2d6 sonic|Will 22
Nervewrack|D.Und|+1|On Crit Many effects1d4 rounds|None
Subjugating|Heroes of Battle|+2|Shaken/Frightened 5 rounds|Will 20
Doom Burst|Mini|+1|Crit, shaken 5minutes|None
Paralytic Burst|Mini|+2|Crit, Hold Monster|None
Weakening|Shining South|+3|1 Str Damage|None
Sudden Stunning|DMG2|2000|Swift action, 1d4+1 rounds|Ref: 10+ 1/2 level+User Cha mod
CurseSpewing|BoVD|+1|On hit:-4 morale to attack, saves, ability checks, skill checks|Will DC15
[/table]

Anyway, the cursespewing one would be a good idea I think. They're now at a -4 to try and pull the weapon out.

Jeenyus
2013-08-01, 03:55 PM
How would fleshgrinding stack/synergize with a lifedrinker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#lifeDrinker) weapon? Does it just become an automatic -12 levels (1 hit, and 5 rounds of grinding). And does the 'wielder' continue to take the negative levels even though he's not actually swinging it? (Assuming he's dumb enough not to have a deathward or soulfire armor)

Soul Drinker (BoVD) would work really well for that. It gives a negative level anytime you deal damage and other fun stuff when you crit, but its a +4 enhancement so you'd have to pony up enough for a +8 weapon. It's expensive, but with enough weapons you could almost solo encounters.

You made a slight mistake on wounding though. It bleeds your opponent for an extra 1 damage/round (stackable) and is only a +1 enhancement. The result is a dagger that costs as much as a +5 weapon that can deal 6d6 (dagger) + 21 (wounding) + ((1.5x strength mod)x6) from the initial damage and the 5 rounds of Fleshgrining, plus 6 more damage every turn after that.

On a side note, why has nobody mentioned weapon augment crystals? Jam a Greater Crystal of Life Drinking in one of your daggers and turn enemies into +25 HP over the next 5 rounds, or a Greater Crystal of Energy Assault for an extra 5d6 plus a crowd control effect (limited movement, decreased AC, dazzled). At 6000 gp each, they're quite a bit cheaper than additional enhancements.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-01, 07:34 PM
Sheriff: Thread necromancy is frowned up on here. This thread is just shy of two years old.