PDA

View Full Version : [Rogue Trader] A Million Stars, A Million Battles

canjowolf
2011-08-28, 02:47 AM
As the Kestrel Sovereign Venture flew on through the great dark void, her xeno-infested crew contemplated where to seek their next great adventure. Rumors were constantly flowing in from the scout network as to possible leads for profit and interesting xenos artifacts as they trickled out of the Koronus Expanse. There were the common tales of the orks of the undred-undred teeth preparing for war, the random eldar sightings, the recent discovery and call for extermination of the Rak’Gol menace, and the ever present threats posed by widespread piracy. These were all old news however, and generally lacked an obvious angle which could be exploited to profit a rogue trader.

A less commonly known rumor had arrived though, telling of a new archaeological expedition that had been sent to the Haruvs system to dig into the ancient human ruins there. Warp travel to the system was fraught with peril, and the planet its self was covered with dark and inhospitable jungles that hide and had likely destroyed any valuable archaotech that the planet once held.

Still, Explorator Captain Iban Thule had funded an expedition anyway, and if the reports could be believed, the team had discovered a unique situation. Amongst the ruins of the human colony could be found signs of xenos markings and technology, seemingly cotemporaneous with human settlement. Had this been an example of man and xeno peacefully living side by side?

While Captain Thule has attempted to limit the spread of this news, your scouts have not only confirmed its validity, but have also managed to procure a warp map that should allow a ship to pass safely to Haruvs. They also noted Captain Thule’s new brace of archaeotech laspistols which he has taken to wearing aboard his ship.

Go ahead and discuss anything that you would like to discuss. You don't have to go after Haruvs if you'd rather not. There are endless possibilities to be exploited by a creative rogue trader.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-28, 11:04 PM
Dispatches are sent and announcements made over the Light Cruiser's vox systems, calling the members of Lord Captain Von Stauffer's inner circle to a meeting in his private briefing room, near the bridge of the ship. As the invited members, human and xenos, arrive the Lord Captain is there to greet them with a slight nod of his head. He wears finely cut clothing in the dark blues and greens of his House, and as ever has his Power Sword at his belt. Once all have arrived, he launches into a speech. "We've been at port long enough now, and I've received some interesting intelligence from several of my agents. We've located what appears to be a great bastion of artifacts of the Dark Age of Technology deep in the expanse, in the Harvus system. The rumours are quite credible, and my own agents confirm that a certain Explorator Captain has been displaying a number of new pieces of Archaeotech after his own visit." He begins to pace back and forth in slow, measured steps, the rhythm of his voice matching his movements fairly closely. "Even more interestingly, there are definitive rumours of nonhuman habitation on this planet, possibly coterminus with the human settlement. A trove of Archaeotech such as this alone could be worth several fortunes..." He raises his right hand and clenches it into a fist, punctuating his statement. "But the nonhuman presence on-site is of particular interest. I believe that we may find things not seen since before the Horus Heresy, unique artifacts of inestimable value. I intend to seek after it, and claim it in the name of House Von Stauffer. As always, I welcome your input." With that, the Captain ceases his pacing and looks expectantly at his motley crew of officers and advisors.

Sorry, if it wasn't clear I was intending to use the Light Cruiser I posted on page 2 of the OOC, the Sovreign Venture, not the Kestrel.

Now, the game's afoot. I wonder if we'll need to fight a Mechanicus vessel before all is said and done...

Donan
2011-08-29, 12:53 AM
T'Harz is sprawled against the wall with a lack of dignity, the Kroot's constantly shifting skin making it hard to make out his features in any great detail. He chitters quietly as the Captain speaks, before voicing his own thoughts.

"There will be many there, all for the same hunt. I suggest deception, smaller craft sent in, agents used to identify our enemies before we move. When you understand an enemy, you can destroy them."

There's a soft whistle. "What is known of this world?"

Lucretia
2011-08-29, 05:50 AM
Tara walked around the room, watching the ceiling as she considered the situation. It still humored her that the Imperium of Man lusted, craved technology from their past, and yet feared the concept of actual invention. She looked at the Lord-Captain.

"My lord, I concur with the kroot. And of course, the contract still holds; I will continue to follow you. But you are aware of my lack of tactical knowledge -- it would be a pity for me to offer opinions on a matter I am untrained in."

Donan
2011-08-29, 03:08 PM
There was a piercing whistle. "T'Harz. T'Harz. You've had chance enough to learn my name Eldar, many times. It is because many of them bought you to shame?"

Lucretia
2011-08-29, 03:12 PM
"I prefer not to sully this already coarse language with your name, kroot." Tara returned to walking around the room, the harlequin suit deactivated. The black fabric was perfectly fitted to her, and glittered softly with the millions of holoprojection cells that dotted the outfit. The twin cylinders poked out of either sleeve, a grim reminder of the Eldar's profession.

Intro
2011-08-29, 03:25 PM
Shas'vre T'au Alo'shi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11681736&postcount=9)

Alo'shi found himself greatly intrigued by the suggestion of human and other species' living together. Of course, the gue'la and Tau had found common ground - admittedly only after the gue'la had been abandoned by their masters - but it seemed a rare thing for the species more prone towards wars of genocide than peaceful cohabitation.

His thoughts were interrupted as a microcosm of inter-species conflict presented itself quite quickly for review. Of course, it was not only the humans who were prone to such. He resolutely ignored the squabble and replied to the human ship-master.

"Before choosing a tactic, would it not be wise to confirm the basic truth these stories? While this being might be displaying ancient treasure, such a being might choose to disguise the origin of the items, so as to protect their source. How much of what your agents state is known, and how much is only inferred?"

You've taken two blue colors! Clearly the Tau should be blue! :P

Also, yes, I'm playing a pacifistic, warrior-caste Arch-Militant.

Donan
2011-08-29, 03:36 PM
This caused a series of hoots, the Kroot's version of laughter. "So still offended? And no real response? Unusual, I feel concern for you."

Despite the creature's alien face, he gives the very strong impression of smirking.

As the Tau warrior speaks however, he straightens and takes on a more professional bearing. "A good truth. It would be a cunning and useful tactic, like disturbing a nest of Karal birds to draw attention.

In such times, we learnt to listen to the quieter noises of the forest."

Lucretia
2011-08-29, 03:38 PM
She grinned at him. "We never did finish that fight, on Tarsis Seven. For the Governor's life. A pity the free agent got Jeremiah, or else we wouldn't have to have this foolish discussion -- you'd be dead, and I'd be a few hundred thousand thrones richer."

Donan
2011-08-29, 03:44 PM
*Whistle* "But you are not. You failed and I still live. Speaking of what could have been never changes what is, and what is is that you did not defeat me."

Lucretia
2011-08-29, 03:48 PM
Tara raised an eyebrow. "Nor did you defeat me, you cocky imbecile. The estate was exploding." Turning to look at Alo'shi, she nodded. "Confirming our information is a wise move, that much I can agree with. I could develop a few various ways to infiltrate the bridge and kill this Explorator captain, if you can get me the schematics.

"And I'm sure the kroot and I could infiltrate with relative ease, if you so desired, Lord-Captain."

Donan
2011-08-29, 03:57 PM
"Which proves how clumsy most are. A kill should be silent and unseen, not full of noise and alarm.."

The Kroot shook his head.

"He is one enemy of many, perhaps killing will come from him, but he is not unique as an enemy.

He is unique in what he knows. A capture would give us more then a body, and a body gives us little. Tech priests have very little fle..."

T'Harz cuts himself off with a glance at Shas'vre T'au Alo'shi and falls silent.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-29, 09:34 PM
Maxillian frowns at the infighting among his two stealthy Xenos hirelings. "Focus on the task at hand, if you will? There is plenty of time for you to resolve your disagreements during our journey."

He clears his throat and presses a button to activate a hololithic display, which flickers into focus for approximately two seconds before immediately going so far out of resolution that it's hard to tell what might have been displayed. It looked like a planet, probably. Maybe. "As you... Cannot, apparently, see. I suppose I'll need to get the Enginseer in here again." He presses the button again, putting the malformed image out of its misery. "My data suggests that the planet is heavily forested, with the majority of solid land covered by dense jungles. As to the veracity of my information... I can assure you, Explorator Thule did find valuable artifacts here, and he is doing everything in his power to keep news of this treasure trove from becoming common knowledge. Luckily, my power is greater." He smirks ever so slightly in self-satisfaction. "I already have agents among his crew. No need to infiltrate them again. And why have him killed, when he leads me to so many interesting places. No, we leave the Mechanicus dog alone for now; I intend to steal his prize away from him while his attention is elsewhere."

With a resigned sigh, the Lord Captain retrieves several small model ships and a silver plate from a cupboard near the hololith table and places them where his holo-display should by rights be. "Nonetheless, T'harz' suggested tactic is a solid one. I intend to bring the Venture into high orbit around the planet, remaining opposite the primary Warp transition point my charts have pinpointed. This will shield our own vessel from the sensors of any approaching ship, while we will still easily detect the signature of any Warp transition into the system." He places one ship, a miniature copy of a Dauntless Light Cruiser, near the silver disk and another ship, representing the path of any new arrivals, far away on the opposite side. "From here, we can deploy shuttles to the surface. I had intended to deploy our full ground crew, in the hopes of speeding our identification of potential artifacts, but prudence does suggest we deploy some scouts to survey local conditions before committing ourselves. T'harz, Alo'shi, I leave the organization of our scouting operations to you. You have more expertise in this matter than I. Have we reached any snags so far?"

Donan
2011-08-30, 04:31 AM
The Kroot hums for a moment in thought, then turns to the Tau fire warrior. "I can move with Shalias and learn the forest and what other enemies have settled there. A shuttle can act as a moving camp to avoid being located and to react quickly."

He inclines his head to Alo'shi. "I am unsure of the dangers of the forest. For your own safety I ask you lead from the shuttle until I have learnt the area."

Intro
2011-08-30, 12:18 PM
Shas'vre T'au Alo'shi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11681736&postcount=9)

"Better to 'lead' from this vessel," Alo'shi replies, with some amusement in his gravelly voice. "By manipulating the augers I can bring locations of note to your notice, as well as directing more shuttles to your aid or energy weapon fire as necessary."

Forbidden Lore (Xenos): 60, regarding potential xenos species of Haruvs.
[roll0]

Lucretia
2011-08-30, 04:53 PM
Tara yawned. "If you'd like, Lord-Captain, I could go with the kroot and his pet. Or I can stay here and provide my eyes for the augurs. I will follow your commands regardless."

canjowolf
2011-08-30, 08:24 PM
The Hesh system has 4 planets: the jungle world, two gas giants, and another solid world that looks like it was turned molten at some point in the recent past. The gas giants each have several moons and small rings, while neither of the solid planets has any large satellites. There do not appear to be any starships in the system, although it is conceivable that a craft might be hiding inside one of the gas giants. This is not a common practice as it can cause damage to most types of voidships.

Your augers should be able to find out where the site of any major archeological digs are, and could be used for other purposes as well, but are not precise enough to give you many details about the dig sites. People on the planet might realize if you scan them with the ship's auspex.

Donan
2011-08-31, 01:54 AM
T'Harz bowed his head. "As you command, I will follow. With Shalias' speed I will locate and mark every enemy camp and position. Should you choose, you will be able to destroy them from high above."

He eyed Tara. "The Eldar might be of some use Lord-Captain, Fire Warrior. If she does not overly complain at the heat of the jungles I'm sure I can give Shalias another saddle."

He suppressed his amusement at the thought of the likely discomfort that'd give the Eldar warrior.

DaedalusMkV
2011-09-01, 06:40 PM
Maxillian considers for a moment. "If you would assist us in our initial sensor sweep of the planet, I would appreciate it if you would go with T'harz to scout the surface, Tarandiel. I always appreciate a second opinion in critical ventures such as this. Alo'shi, the crew and myself will more than suffice to operate the Augur arrays. We should be transitioning to the Warp any time now, but there is still some time before we arrive at our destination. I'll provide you all with the information available to us; feel free to make whatever plans you feel are appropriate." Feeling that the initial plans have been appropriately resolved, the Lord Captain ends the meeting and allows the others to leave, then sends an order to the ship's Navigator and Pilot to begin the journey to the Hesh system as quickly as possible. This finished, he returns to his cabin to do a little bit more research. Perhaps, somewhere in his personal collection of tomes and dataslates, there will be more information on what they can hope to find in-system.

Intro
2011-09-01, 07:35 PM

"Activating the augers is not the same as interpreting their results and making decisions accordingly," Alo'shi explains patiently, but I shall go where you deem best. "The world would be classed by your people as a Death World, so no doubt T'Harz will find something to his liking," he added, much more comfortable with the idea of the kroot warrior consuming the flesh of less-sentient creatures.

canjowolf
2011-09-01, 07:53 PM
The journey through the warp to the Haruvs system is reasonably short and uneventful, lasting little more than a fortnight. While the passage through the warp detailed by your spys was relatively safe and clear, it was also narrow and twisting and your navigators are exhausted from the journey and request that they be allowed to retire to their chambers to rest.

Upon your arrival in system your quick auger scans do not reveal any ships, although it is possible that some might be hiding. No man made satellites appear to orbit any of the planets either.

The four planets of the Haruvs system slowly revolve around their bright yellow-orange star and rotate through their cosmic dance through the void. The gas giants are lacking in any obvious peculiarities, and the slag world looks similar to many other slag worlds in the Expanse. In fact, the jungle world also has little to mark it as distinct from any other jungle world in the Imperium, at least that can be seen from a passive view in space.

Donan
2011-09-02, 02:09 AM
T'Harz was in the Arboretum and had located Shalias, the restless beast stalking the fake jungle there in an expression of frustration. He stroked her head as he fitted a harnass and saddle to her, chitting gently in Kroot, as well as smacking her nose when her impatience led to her snapping at him.

"It's not long now. You'll be able to run soon. Gah, don't do that, behave yourself!"

He chirped in amusement as he fitted a second saddle, wondering if Tarandiel would end up taking the offer. Shalias could move faster then either of them, and besides, a death world jungle was home to him and the Knarloc, less so an Eldar.

With an expression that would have been a smirt on a human face, T'Harz set a thick, pink cushion on the saddle he'd prepared for Tarandiel. He had no idea why humans considered the colour embarrassing, and he had no idea if the Eldar would even notice, but any chance to get under her skin was worth some uncertaintly.

He clicked his vox to contact her. ++We're in the Arboretum Eldar, preparing to travel to the surface.++ He grabbed hold of the reins, swinging himself into the front saddle.

Lucretia
2011-09-02, 10:57 AM
Tarandiel sat before the vast banks of screens and monitors that were hooked to the powerful augur arrays outside. She began to manipulate them, activating the systems and attempting to see what was outside the vessel, to prevent any immediate ambushes. It was perhaps her favorite job aboard the ship.

The sensors activated correctly, and she began the process of spotting whether or not the return pings were other voidships or not. That stupid kroot was distracting her, and it wasn't her best work, but if something was out there and it didn't have an Empyrean Mantle on, it was likely Tara would see it.

Staring at the results, she shook her head slowly, but the strange pattern, the whorls and flickers, called to her. It was... disconcerting. "Lord-Captain, I wish to inform you I... believe there are Chaotic elements in this area. We should expect the, what do you call them, Ruinous Powers."

DaedalusMkV
2011-09-05, 06:07 PM
Maxillian sits on the command throne in the bridge, watching as the ship approaches its destination with a hungry look on his face. However, Tara's announcement breaks him out of his silence as he looks at her with a faint trace of shock. "Chaos, here? I... Suppose you would know better than I, Tarandiel. Still, this is troubling news... We will need to be extremely vigilant. I won't risk our exposing crew to the taint of Chaos, if it is powerful enough here. Join T'harz on his expedition, if you will. I want you to notify me if either of you see any signs that this place is more than lightly touched." He looks back at the planet slowly growing in the viewport, his expression pensive. Maxillian is quite open-minded about most things, but he still harbors a healthy distaste for anything touched by the Dark Gods. Better to raze any of their foul temples from orbit with our Lances than risk exploring them for treasures...

Lucretia
2011-09-06, 10:05 PM
Tarandiel nods. "Lord-Captain, would you like me to perform an augur of the planet as well before reporting to the Arboretum?" She didn't fear Slaanesh, really -- thanks to the Dark Eldar's penchant for drinking souls, Tara had no real intention of every dying -- but any time the Great Enemy was around, she took extra precautions. What that dread creature was rumored to do to the Eldar it did receive... she repressed a shudder.

"And yes, Lord-Captain, as you say: I will accompany the Kroot without difficulty from my side on the planet and report back should I find compelling evidence of the Ruinous Powers. I am pleased you are not taking this lightly -- it showcases your wisdom." She smiled at him, waiting for von Stauffer to give her a command.

DaedalusMkV
2011-09-08, 11:48 PM
Maxillian nods. "Certainly, do a sweep of the planet before you find the Shaper." With this command given, he taps a button on his command console and voxes the Chief Enginseer. "Enginseering division, it appears we may be faced with the need for our weaponry before the end of the day. It may be prudent to begin charging the Lance array and loading ordnance into our Macrobatteries, if you please." Finally, he adresses Alo'Shi. "We must be particularly vigilant from this point on. I know little of Chaos, but I do know that the Ruinous Powers are both subversive and unpredictable."

Intro
2011-09-09, 03:26 PM

"I shall follow your lead in this matter, Maxillian Von Stauffer" Alo'shi says simply. "My people have little experience with such creatures." From what he had read, the Warp beings that tied so closely into the history of the galaxy's other species sounded fascinating, if unnerving.

Lucretia
2011-09-11, 01:04 PM
"Lord-Captain, the planet is largely covered with jungle forests, but also contains savannahs and sandy deserts. There do not appear to be any oceans, but there are large sea-like bodies flowing around the planet. It's likely the oceans were terraformed, although this level of terraforming is... strange. The Imperium doesn't use this sort of technology, to my knowledge.

"There appear to be three large excavation outposts, and several small survey beacons scattered throughout the jungle zones. One of the three is significantly larger than the others. But either the forces of Chaos or simple inadequacies in your augur arrays present this image in a hazy manner -- precise details elude me.

"There are vox communications between the largest outpost and the two other sizable outposts, but the augers are not clear enough to make anything out. Indeed, if the ground forces were actively shielding their transmissions I might never have recognized them beyond the background haze."

With that, Tara stood and bowed to the Max. "I will seek out the Kroot now, as per your orders." She turned and walked towards the elevator, an unsettling sight for some of the junior crewmen. She bowed once more and then entered the elevator, dialing it for the arboretum.