PDA

View Full Version : Feats that Grant Auras

Elric VIII
2011-08-28, 09:25 AM
So, while stating out my undead mount I realized that my original plan of Dragontouched + Draconic Aura doesn't work, since Dragontouched requires 11 Cha (skeletons have 1 Cha).

I do, however, like the idea of a mount throwing around auras. So, are there any feats other than the Draconic Aura feat that grant the ability to buff nearby allies?

Also, I suppose if there was a way to get the Dragonblood type on my mount, that would work, too.

Provengreil
2011-08-28, 11:44 AM
I remember an aura of some kind in BOED, so if you could get some sort of refluff for your mount that might work.

Volthawk
2011-08-28, 12:00 PM
Hmm, I was going to suggest some Incarnum stuff, but your mount doesn't have a Con score, and as you mentioned it's a skeleton, I'm assuming it doesn't have Int 3 (for Undead Meldshaper).

Martial Study could be useful, since White Raven has a fair amount of buffing stuff, although things that actually work like proper auras are limited (Bolstering Voice is the only one I saw that works like an aura proper, ie affecting all allies within an area, all the time).

Vow of Peace (BoED) gives a calming aura, but really isn't worth it (needs Sacred Vow, means your mount can't harm living creatures, and, well, it's an Exalted feat, so your skeleton mount might not be even able to get it, since skellies are usually Always NE).

Abominable Form (Elder Evils, needs Willing Deformity, Vile feat) makes all creatures that see your mount and have less HD than it have to make a Will save (DC 15+2 for every Deformity feat, so a minimum of 19) for be shaken for a round (usually Con mod rounds, min 1, but given how your mount doesn't have a Con mod...)

tyckspoon
2011-08-28, 12:17 PM
Depending on how your DM interprets
It retains any subtypes except alignment subtypes and subtypes that indicate kind. you could just get a Dragonblooded mount and use it as the base creature for undeadifying- a Drakkensteed (Dragon Magic), Draconic Whatever, a drakken-horse (Dragon Magic again- basically a normal creature that has the Dragonblood subtype.)

If you're using the normal Skeleton or Zombie template, tho, you have a bigger problem; they lose all feats except the Improved Initiatve/Toughness granted by the template, and a mindless (creature with a non-ability in Intelligence) can't take feats, so even if you find a way to HD-advance your mount after converting it to a Skeleton it won't get anywhere with auras.. you'd have to Awaken the thing and then convince/Command it to serve you anyway.

Edit: If you've decided not to go with Undead, see first part of post about mounts that already possess the Dragonblood subtype.

deuxhero
2011-08-28, 12:19 PM
Remember that as an undead, your mount alreddy has 1 aura. It makes you easy to track, but will stun any Paladins for a round if it has 21 HD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm)

Zaq
2011-08-28, 12:20 PM
Improved Bind Vestige (Focalor) will give you the Aura of Sadness ability. Takes two feats, though.

deuxhero
2011-08-28, 12:20 PM
So would the TC's original plan though...

Draz74
2011-08-28, 12:31 PM
Martial Study could be useful, since White Raven has a fair amount of buffing stuff, although things that actually work like proper auras are limited (Bolstering Voice is the only one I saw that works like an aura proper, ie affecting all allies within an area, all the time).

Leading the Charge?

Volthawk
2011-08-28, 12:35 PM
Leading the Charge?

Yes, and that. I somehow had it in my head that it was a strike, not a stance.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-28, 01:41 PM
I remember an aura of some kind in BOED, so if you could get some sort of refluff for your mount that might work.

Nimbus of light: You glow.
Holy Radiance: You glow and undead within 10 feet take a little damage.

Might be able to refluff those so that living creatures in a set distance take unholy damage, or just that undead are healed when within that radius. I don't think BoVD has a feat that works for the evil/opposite shtick on that one.

Elric VIII
2011-08-28, 08:10 PM
These are some good suggestions, I especially like the Binding or White Raven stuff (since I'm definately going to be charging while using a mount).

I'm pretty sure that Undead cannot take exalted feats, but VoP mounts seems like gaming the system a bit, anyway. :smallwink:

Undead Meldshaper is not that useful, since the feat only works for undead with meldshaper levels. You still need Con to take Shape Soulmeld, et al.

Just some more info, my mount has an Int score, so it can take feats normally. It is a Bone Knight's Skeletal Steed, so it gains abilities as a Paladin's mount.

Thank you for the input.

Alleine
2011-08-29, 04:13 AM
Hmm, perusing Heroes of Battle leads me to an idea. Form an army and grant your steed command of at least one lesser creature in your 'army'. It is now a corporal and has a command rating of 1, granting it a single commander aura for free. If your steed proves to be a cunning leader, put more minions under its command to boost its rank and potentially get a more powerful aura :smallbiggrin:

candycorn
2011-08-29, 04:55 AM
Dreadful Wrath gives a conditional Frightful Presence aura. Activates on any of several actions, and forces everything nearby to make a save vs. Shaken for 1 minute.

TheJake
2011-08-29, 07:55 AM
Hmm, I was going to suggest some Incarnum stuff, but your mount doesn't have a Con score, and as you mentioned it's a skeleton, I'm assuming it doesn't have Int 3 (for Undead Meldshaper).

Vow of Peace (BoED) gives a calming aura, but really isn't worth it (needs Sacred Vow, means your mount can't harm living creatures, and, well, it's an Exalted feat, so your skeleton mount might not be even able to get it, since skellies are usually Always NE).

Abominable Form (Elder Evils, needs Willing Deformity, Vile feat) makes all creatures that see your mount and have less HD than it have to make a Will save (DC 15+2 for every Deformity feat, so a minimum of 19) for be shaken for a round (usually Con mod rounds, min 1, but given how your mount doesn't have a Con mod...)

Awaken Undead would grant the mount an Intelligence score. Wouldn't that allow it to take Vile feats? Being undead, permitting some DM fiat, I'm sure its viable.

For purposes of Auras however, doesn't the undead switch to its Charisma?

- J.

Person_Man
2011-08-29, 08:12 AM
Dilate Aura: Doubles the range of any aura. Fiendish Codex II, pg. 83.

Slave to Evil: Gives you evil aura. As you gain hit dice, it gets stronger, and the benefits improve. At low levels it's pretty useless, but at higher levels it improves existing Spell Resistance against divine spells by 5, and can prevent divine spell casting within it's area. It works particularly well for Evil Incarnates, who have easy access to high Spell Resistance. Requires Chosen of Evil feat. Elder Evils pg 14.

Necrocarnum Shroud soulmeld bound to Waist Chakra. Fear Aura. Magic of Incarnum. (Takes 2 feats, Shape Soulmeld and Open Chakra).

Fearsome Mask soulmeld bound to Brow Chakra. Fear gaze attack. Magic of Incarnum.

Also, the Vanus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060407a) vestige offers a great Fear aura, which is basically a Save or Lose effect for anyone who isn't immune to Fear. It's noteworthy in that unlike other Fear effects, creatures with more hit dice then you are not immune, and it has a long duration. Although you can't get it with a Feat, it basically replaces the need/desire to take Frightful Presence and/or Daunting Presence and/or Imperious Command, and the Binder is just a great class in general for people who like always on abilities.