PDA

View Full Version : I can't help but wonder (clothing question)

big teej
2011-08-28, 11:58 AM
greetings playgrounders,

last night, I was rolling up a character/villian for today's adventure.

having purchased his weapons and armor... I began to shop for other things.

eventually, I came to the Arms and Equipment Guide, and started flipping through it, looking for anything the character would want to have...

and I came to the clothing section

where it has prices for individual items of clothing, of various quality and prices.

for instance, there were like 8 hats ranging from 2 sp to 8 gp

and I couldn't help but wonder.....

"why did they make this section at all?"

why?

simple

because the SRD has "outfits" to pick from, and judging by the description, you could easily add any number of the "specific items" to these outfits with pure fluffyness.

so my question is why did they make specific clothing items.

and on a related note:
what do you think about the idea of giving players 1 freebie outfit of clothing (as per standard rules) and after that they have to by individual pieces?

emphasis on the first question though.

Maralais
2011-08-28, 12:01 PM
Well, some people(like me) don't have much of a great imagination, so perhaps new stuff like that could help em get an idea for clothing?

For the second question, it makes sense if you ask me, I doubt people had loads and loads of clothes in medieval age, probably just one, and others up to your willingness to have a luxurious life.

Frozen_Feet
2011-08-28, 12:12 PM
Not everyone is an expert on clothing, so having some pieces detailed to you is actually great help. Good fluff is not trivial to come up with. "Expensive outfit" doesn't tell you what some piece of clothing looks like, what are its functions, or why it is even expensive.