PDA

View Full Version : Drudic Sneak

BiblioRook
2011-08-28, 03:39 PM
I have a long history of playing Rogueish characters but lately I've been wanting more and more to branch into spellcasting. I'm ashamed it took me so long to realize it but Druids ended up being a great match for me as (in real life) I'm a huge animal person and I was always fond of Wis based classes. I was able to play my last character (though not a Druid, different system) completely as a bird and I loved every moment of it, though my DM hated me for it.

An idea popped into my head however that I was wondering if you kind playgrounders would help me get the most out of. Combining my new love for Druids with my already natural tendency to act like a Rogue.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions to optimize or at least make the most out of trying to be sneaky, beguiling, or just plain mysterious. Stuff like ways to cast spells undetected for example would be right up with what I'm looking for, also using wild shape to stay small, fast, and/or otherwise hard to keep track of.

Ether 3.5 or Pathfinder is good for this, though if I end up using it it's more possible it will be in Pathfinder.

Optimator
2011-08-28, 05:07 PM
Well, the Halfling substitution levels from RotW may help.

Greenish
2011-08-28, 05:26 PM
Basically, I'm looking for suggestions to optimize or at least make the most out of trying to be sneaky, beguiling, or just plain mysterious.If you have access to them, some of the Eberron's Initiate feats might be up your alley. Greensinger Initiate has beguiling down the pat, while Nightbringer Initiate can boost your sneakiness.

Stuff like ways to cast spells undetected for example would be right up with what I'm looking forRC lists casting spells without appearing to do so as an use of Sleight of Hand. Invisible Spell (Cityscape) might also be of interest, though it doesn't conceal the casting.

DarkestKnight
2011-08-28, 07:06 PM
heres one that i find funny.

1. dip into a class that gives you death attack
2.shape shift into an animal, like a kitten
3. bite peoples jugular as they hold and pamper you
4.???
5. profit

pilvento
2011-08-28, 07:15 PM
Check daggerspellshaper in complete adventurers, Rouge bab, sneak, 9/10 casting lvls, and awesome clasfeatures like keeping enhancement equipment bonuses in wildshapes and give ur claw/bite attack the same propertys of ur daggers.

All you need is 5druid lvls and 1d6 of sneak, u qualify at lvl 6 :smallcool:

BiblioRook
2011-08-28, 07:33 PM
heres one that i find funny.

1. dip into a class that gives you death attack
2.shape shift into an animal, like a kitten
3. bite peoples jugular as they hold and pamper you
4.???
5. profit

Bah, if I wanted to do that I would just be a Tidbit Rogue/Assassin, Too easy :V

I was hoping for more suggestions as far as Domains go. Pathfinder's option of taking on a Domain instead of an AC always seemed rather useful to me, even though the initial list of Domains you can chose from is rather limited. However Pathfinder also has a ton of full on class alternative options, and nearly every one of the Druid ones changes the Domain pool you have to pick from.

So far the closest thing I found to what I had in mind was something like the Bat Shaman Druid. Darkness and Trickery Domains give some much appreciated sneaky-type spells as well as easier time turning into a (Diminutive) Bat, but at the cost of being able to turn into anything else...
But like I said, it's pretty close to along the lines as I would like. Since I don't really see myself as a frontline bruiser, I would happily train in my ability to get Large, Huge, or above forms for easier access to stuff like Tiny and Diminutive ones. Having the selection option would be nice, but if I had to chose I wouldn't mind being stuck with bird forms (Sadly, the only Shaman option that was listed was for Eagles, and despite the other shamans being rather open to dealing with related animals this one seems to have it's mind made up to be rather restrictive...).

Also being able to be in animal form as much as possible would be excellent. I kinda had the idea of pretending to be something like the wizard's 'familiar' while in towns so that if something happens or if are, say, ambushed, the other people would mistakenly think our group was smaller then it was. But that brings up the problem of communication, so another point of interest would be solving that. Would some limited telepathy be hard to manage as a Druid? Maybe as an item? (I'm imagining something like a collar. Demeaning, but effective if shapeshifting <.< )

I would actually like to keep multiclassing and prestige classes to a minimum. I foresee myself ultimately focusing on spells and Wild Shaping, so unless there are classes that also help keep those going it might not be quite as useful in the long run.
Daggerspellshaper sound pretty good though, I will have to look into that, as well as the Halfling druid option to see what that entails.

BiblioRook
2011-09-06, 03:55 AM
I thought I might try this again but with a more condensed request.

Is there any way to become smaller wildshaping (Tiny, Diminutive, etc) earlier and/or more often?

Darrin
2011-09-06, 05:57 AM
Is there any way to become smaller wildshaping (Tiny, Diminutive, etc) earlier and/or more often?

1) Master of Many Forms (CAdv).

2) Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) template.

3) Hengeyokai (Oriental Adventures).