PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5, Feat]Improved Intelligent Item Creation (PEACH)

tonberrian
2011-08-28, 06:15 PM
Improved Intelligent Item Creation [Item Creation]

Prerequisite
Any Item Creation feat, Caster Level 15

Benefit
When creating an intelligent magic item, you have more control over its features. Instead of randomly determining an intelligent item's features, you can select which features the item possesses, including choosing an item's special purpose and dedicated power (if any). Time and creation cost are based on the normal item creation rules, treating the market price values of the selected abilities as additions to time, gp cost, and XP cost. This does mean that choosing the item's abilities is more costly in time, gp cost, and XP cost than rolling randomly for the item's abilities. If the creator desires, he is still able to save these additional costs and determine the item's features randomly.

Normal
An intelligent item's features are determined randomly.

Cieyrin
2011-08-29, 08:44 AM
Seems kinda late game and not likely to show up to me. CL 15th, perhaps?

Also, given Intelligent Item Creation has a statement "If you're generating a random intelligent weapon," I assume that there's a choice to choose abilities built in. It is pretty vague, though.

tonberrian
2011-08-29, 09:19 AM
Seems kinda late game and not likely to show up to me. CL 15th, perhaps?

Also, given Intelligent Item Creation has a statement "If you're generating a random intelligent weapon," I assume that there's a choice to choose abilities built in. It is pretty vague, though.

Is the DMG text different than what's in the SRD? Because the SRD says this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#intelligentItemCreation):

Intelligent Item Creation

To create an intelligent item, a character must have a caster level of 15th or higher. Time and creation cost are based on the normal item creation rules, with the market price values on Table: Item Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, and Capabilities treated as additions to time, gp cost, and XP cost. The item’s alignment is the same as its creator’s. Determine other features randomly, following the guidelines in the relevant section.

Which doesn't say anything like "If you're generating a random intelligent weapon".

I put the Caster Level at 18 because being able to choose the abilities, especially a special purpose and dedicated power, is pretty good, and creating an intelligent item already requires CL 15. I could be convinced to lower it, though.

Cieyrin
2011-08-29, 09:41 AM
Is the DMG text different than what's in the SRD? Because the SRD says this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#intelligentItemCreation):

Which doesn't say anything like "If you're generating a random intelligent weapon".

I put the Caster Level at 18 because being able to choose the abilities, especially a special purpose and dedicated power, is pretty good, and creating an intelligent item already requires CL 15. I could be convinced to lower it, though.

I was looking at the section on Intelligent Items in the SRD, though it's specifically in the Alignment of Intelligent Items section that it talks about generation. Figures I didn't look at the specifics.

As I said, it's a matter of having the feat actually get picked up, as how many games tend to actually get into near-epic? Plus, as you've pointed out that intelligent items are by default random, I'd want to have the option to actually choose abilities, as however fun it may be to roll on tables, if I'm spending the time and effort to bother making an intelligent item, i want control over what I produce. This ain't the Wild Mage's Magic Menagerie of Chaos, after all.

Frankly, I've seen the random generation part blatantly ignored more often than not but this is a good second option for having a rules solid choice about what goes into my creations.

DracoDei
2011-08-29, 12:37 PM
15th level sounds fine to me. You only get to use it a very sharply limited number of times, even if the effects of those uses last a very very long time.

tonberrian
2011-08-29, 01:28 PM
And the people have spoken! I also added an Item Creation feat as a prerequisite, but that's mostly thematic.