PDA

View Full Version : Contra Magica IC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Bhaakon
2011-11-30, 05:12 PM
Feldath squirms under Abigial's questions, "that was many years ago, before I was even born, but I doubt it. Besides, lycanthropy can be removed."

The matriarch seems disgusted, "If it were only so simple. The curse turns those things into savages. Many lose control of themselves and kill for pleasure, a perversion no true druid, or wolf, would commit."

"That's a lie. Some can't handle the... raw emotions of their new form at first, but they lash out from fear, not bloodlust. It goes away with time."

Frosty
2011-11-30, 05:39 PM
She says sternly to Feldath, "That is something you did not tell me, and would have been useful to KNOW, as your defense representative. Is there anything ELSE you're hiding from me?"

To the Matriarch, "What you say has some merit. If the newly...changed do have trouble controlling themselves, then some sort of temporary quarantine would definitely be in order for anyone who is becomes a shapeshifter. But this is a separate issue from driving them out of this place. This is still their homeland as well, if they are from here. Furthermore, the deities and forces of good have granted me the ability to...gaze at someone see if he or she is tainted by evil. At the very least, Feldath, and the two other werewovles my friends killed, are not evil, and neither are you. This suggests that, disregarding an individual's tendencies before the change, the lashing out of a newly-changed is not out of malice."

To both of them, Abigail says, "Still, there are two opposite claims here that we cannot verify, and the issue is important. If contracting lycanthropy does indeed turn the victim into a blood-thirsty, evil being, then the Matriarch has a case for driving the lycanthropes out. If not, then this is merely a safety issue during the transition period that can be worked out between reasonable people. A combinaton of physical restraints and emotional support from friends and family may do the trick. Do we know of anyone, preferably a neutral 3rd party, that can detect lies being spoken or perhaps force the truth to be told?"

Please roll Sense Motive for Abigail on what both sides are saying. Do both sides seem to believe that he/she is right in the claim?

Bhaakon
2011-11-30, 08:09 PM
Both sides are adamant in their positions, believing their claims completely.

"I didn't think it important. The mistakes of a few weak-willed fellows has nothing to do with why I'm here."

"The solution is simple: those who reject the curse and re-embrace their natural form, with our help of course, may return to the circle. The ones without blood on their hands, at least. But the curse itself, we can not abide. Not only does it drive those things mad, it violates our core beliefs. As long as it exists, we have no choice but to excise those creatures like a gangrenous arm.

But we are moving away from the true question, for this 'trial' is not about the past, but its particular crimes. It admits that it came here to fight us for the forest, and you've already said that it desecrated the shrine and took the sword. What else is there to argue? What other excuse could you present for these offenses?"

TurtleKing
2011-11-30, 08:29 PM
Well if you want to accept any back then killing this guy won't help. How are you going to tell the others? Besides doubt came back to die like a lamb to the slaughter. He came back wanting to be able to live where his fathers live. Besides how does the ones who can turn into beasts act after they do so? Do they go blood thirsty? Wouldn't be suprised if turning into an animal you act like an animal.

Kon Lesh
2011-11-30, 09:58 PM
"Ummm...2 centuries have passed since the fight...That baron's kid is now dead. So what kind of guarantee do you have that they would listen to a call of help? Or wouldn't just tell you to get over yourselves?

Also, this forest is like 100 miles? Isn't it natural for different predators to be next to each other but still live together. Even if one of them wasn't there previously. There is enough room for druids and lycanthropes without the desire to kill everything. And when I say desire to kill I been both lycnathropes and druids.

Wait...there is a cure for lycanthropes? What is it?"

stack
2011-11-30, 09:59 PM
Bors walks forward, tapping the ground with his hammer, leaving visible imprints as he speaks. "If it can be undone, then let's send him back. He can present the offer of amnesty to the others. Any who don't take it will be free to leave in peace. Feldath's life will be spared as a sign of good will. I see no other way out. The druids are the recognized authority, such as it is, in these parts. We know that Deeping will side with them. The wolves have lived and multiplied, by his own admission, elsewhere for two hundred years. Let them stay there instead of stirring old grievances. If they are not evil and want to just live peacefully, do so, elsewhere! They came looking for blood, to drive out the others. They have lost their claim to the land, by law, by time, by actions, and by force."

Bhaakon
2011-12-01, 12:50 AM
The Matriarch listens to Bors' offer and considers it carefully. "It is natural for different predators to live side by side, but in a constant state of conflict over their territory. To secure one's own home ground from encroachment is the way of the forest.

Still, if those thing are willing to renounce their perversion, we would be willing to accept them back into our fold. But none have ever done so. The cure is difficult, there is no assurance of success, and it will not work for those who do not truly wish to regain their natural state.

Very well, we will spare this one if this it will successfully undergo the treatment and return to the interlopers with this message: those who wish to stay must abandon their perversion willingly, while those who do not, or can not, return to their natural state must leave or be destroyed.

Furthermore, you must leave the sword with us. That is not negotiable. It gives us the power to enforce the ultimatum, and belongs to us in any case."

Feldath looks aghast at the suggestion. You're sure that he will refuse if you can't convince him otherwise, or get the Matriarch to soften her offer.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-01, 01:46 AM
Lyle looks at Feldath "Awesome, you are saved with your own suggestion. Good job...wait. Where you joking when you recommended reversing lycanthrope-y? Lyle sighs, as he notices that Feldath does not want to be 'cured'

He then turns to the elf. "Look can you just let him go. He lost two friends and you have your sword and your shrine has been cleansed. So overall this was a minor annoyance for you that has been fixed. And since they know that you are watching the sword now, they know that they can't get it. And most importantly it will end this back and forth politics...nature thing that we are doing. Trust me when I say that losing a few close friends is horrible, he has already had to swallow his pride also. He has been injured, insulted, and humiliated. He was born a Lycanthrope. Let him be what his natural state is. Even if it is a 'perversion' as you call it."

Frosty
2011-12-01, 01:49 AM
Abigail can see which way the winds of change are blowing, and now it is time for the close.

To the Matriarch, "After hearing everything that has been said, your terms are mostly reasonable. After all, you and yours have been here while the lycanthropes have been gone for 200 years. The sword does indeed belong to you as well. However, if you truly wish to give the lycanthropes the *choice* of returning, then let the choice extend to all in their Pack, including Feldath. I will say more about that in a minute."

Turning to Feldath, the Paladin show him her most sincere face. "How about it, Feldath? This is likely the best deal you can get. Those that chose to be rid of their lycanthropy will still have the memories of being in the pack. They can act as a cultural emissary or sorts. Maybe, eventually, after much exchange of ideas and mending of wounds, the other druids can be more open to the ways of your Pack. But, for that to happen, there must be dialogue, and the druids accepting some of your Pack back into their folds is the only way I see presently. Please consider this offer seriously."

Back to the Matriarch, Abigail makes her offer. "Amend the terms so that Feldath also get to choose whether or not to be cured of lycanthropy. In return, Feldath here will perform a community service of sorts as repayment for desecrating the shrine. There is an alchemist living near the woods, Feldath has informed us. Feldath and two of his Pack obtained the substances that desecrated your shrine from this alchemist. Feldath can lead us to the alchemist, and I, and hopefully my companions, will drive away this alchemist from here, so that he or she and his alchemy compounds will damage this area no more. My companions and I get to keep any items we find, except for relics belonging to your Circle of course. After that, Feldath may choose to be rid of his lycanthropy. Either way, he then returns to the Pack to deliver your message and offer of amnesty. And, even though I cannot actually ask of this, I urge you to consider some sort of...cultural exchange once in a while, like a few years or so. Communication is often key to avoiding warfare and bloodshed, and promoting understanding. Is this offer acceptable?"

If any one of you would like to Aid Another in Diplomacy, this is the time to do it!
Diplomacy roll to convince Feldath and the Matriarch to accept the deal. Oops, forgot can't edit in a roll

Frosty
2011-12-01, 02:43 AM
Let's try the Diplomacy roll one more time:
[roll0]

Could REALLY use those AID ANOTHERS right about now...

Kon Lesh
2011-12-01, 03:22 AM
Lyle agrees with this idea because of the possible loot from an alchemist. Go diplomacy at -1. Oh +1 if I'm dealing with brigands, thieves, bandits, and their ilk...so nothing because only talking with skittles would get me these bonus.

diplomacy [roll0]

stack
2011-12-01, 08:05 AM
"It's a fair plan, and you retain the advantage if you are betrayed, Matriarch. And you Feldath, any of your people who reject it can continue to live as you have, elsewhere. Bury this grudge for good, starting another war will only prolong it for another two hundred years."

Hmmff, asking werewolves and druids to act civilized instead of leaping at each others throats...but then, civilized people are better able to wipe out their enemies anyhow. It's a strange, dark world.

Hungry now, less talk, more food.

Bhaakon
2011-12-01, 11:12 PM
It's lucky for you that I care more about what you role play than what you roll on social interactions. If you can't think of anything to say and just want to make a token comment and rely on your character's skill modifier, that's perfectly all right most of the time, but if you put in the effort to craft a well-reasoned argument/bluff/threat, I'm likely to reward you by adding a hefty bonus to, or even ignoring, a bad roll (of course, I get to choose whether the post is well done, and length alone is no guarantee of success :P).

The Matriarch stands quietly as she considers Abigail's offer, her silence stretching out to an uncomfortable length. Feldath fidgets in his bonds, eager to accept the paladin's compromise if the Matriarch agrees.

"Very well, but you will turn over the sword immediately. We believe that we know of the wretched alchemist of whom you speak, and would be heartened to see his work here ended. Once that is is done, it will take you to the other abominations and deliver our message.

We will send an observer with you, to report to us when it is completed. If we do not like what she says, or she dies--and we will know if that comes to pass--we will send to Deeping without delay and grant no quarter once help arrives."

With that, the Matriarch raises her arm, creating a perch of s snowy-white barn owl that swoops down from a hiding spot among the high trees. After whispering a few words to the owle, the Matriarch continues, "she will be with you at all times, but this is last time that you will see her."

Feldath swallows hard, but nods his agreement with the proposal.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-01, 11:57 PM
"Wonderful. Let's head out. No need to delay."

Take out an alchemist and maybe get some nice stuff too. This is sounding interesting.

TurtleKing
2011-12-02, 01:42 AM
Wait alchemist's are… Skittles hands curl up into what would be claws as his face becomes a cross between glee and undying hatred.

Bhaakon
2011-12-02, 02:02 AM
XP
400 xp each for "defeating" the matriarch with Feldath alive.

The rest of you should be level 3 now

Frosty
2011-12-02, 02:12 AM
The Matriarch stands quietly as she considers Abigail's offer, her silence stretching out to an uncomfortable length. Feldath fidgets in his bonds, eager to accept the paladin's compromise if the Matriarch agrees.

"Very well, but you will turn over the sword immediately. We believe that we know of the wretched alchemist of whom you speak, and would be heartened to see his work here ended. Once that is is done, it will take you to the other abominations and deliver our message.

We will send an observer with you, to report to us when it is completed. If we do not like what she says, or she dies--and we will know if that comes to pass--we will send to Deeping without delay and grant no quarter once help arrives."

With that, the Matriarch raises her arm, creating a perch of s snowy-white barn owl that swoops down from a hiding spot among the high trees. After whispering a few words to the owle, the Matriarch continues, "she will be with you at all times, but this is last time that you will see her."

Feldath swallows hard, but nods his agreement with the proposal.
"Agreed." The paladin walks over to the Matriarch and hands over the sword. "Two things. Firstly, shall Feldath actually aid in fighting, if a fight breaks out, or do you want him tied up until the alchemist is driven away? Secondly, how will we find you after the alchemist is taken care of? I think some of us here would not mind learning some of your rits to know the proper offerings to a shrine like the one here. We can use all the blessings we can get."

Bhaakon
2011-12-02, 06:31 AM
The Matriarch smiles, "Hiri (the owl, you presume) will report your progress, and we will decide if further contact is needed. Do not search us out, we will only be found by you if we wish it." With this she retreats back into he thick forest, leaving you to your quest.

Most wayshrine rituals are closely guarded secrets, the kind of thing that would usually require years of faithful service and secret initiations to acquire. It would take a truly exceptional service to be granted one. A few famous wayshrines have had rituals "outed" in print by observant spies or vengeful former-priests, and wayshrines of similar form and deity often have overlapping rituals, but you know of no books describing this type of shrine.

stack
2011-12-02, 08:18 AM
I presume we should wait to level till resting. Hmm, bonus on charges is nice, but not earth-shattering.

Bors bows as the matriarch leaves. "That you. May the land bless you."

After she is gone, he shoulders his hammer and mounts. "Let us be away then, We have deeds to do to see our words true. And Abigail, though I am not certain I was wrong, your heart is more charitable than mine. For that I envy you. Let us trust each other in the future, though I will strive to ensure that no such matter divides our group again."

"You can talk to this alchemist, no blind charges." He half smiles as he turns away, ready to take point, hammer back in hand, giving gentle guidance with his knees when needed.

Hmm, walking in the woods. No more silly talking. And a fight? What is al-key-mist? Open wet doors?

Frosty
2011-12-02, 01:06 PM
The lady knight smiles at Bors. "We'll offer him simple terms. Get out and take all his possessions with him. If he resists arrest, Bors swill knock will exercise *just* enough police bruality to knock him unconscious, and then we get to throw him out and *keep* his belongings. Skittles, Lyle, thank you two for being patient as well. We made it without bloodshed."

To Feldath, she says, "Can we trust you to be untied and lead us to to alchemist? It is all in your best interests to do so, AND in your best interests to aid us in any fighting that occurs. Any good faith efforts you put forth will only make you look BETTER to the Circle."

Lastly, to Honey, Abigail fishes out some dried nuts and berries she had been carrying and feeds Honey herself. "Here, you need these more than I need the taste of food." She pets his neck. "We're about to find someone who might be very bad. If he doesn't listen to us, we may have to fight him. This al-chem-ist is someone with many strange deadly bombs and liquids that can scour flesh from bone. You listen to Bors and attack if Bors says to attack, but not before!"

TurtleKing
2011-12-02, 01:45 PM
*stomach grumbling* Well better get going as well some hunting. I'm hungry. Skittles then gets up making his way upto out of the canyon taking stock of the surroundings trying to not be seen.

Stealth since still being chased…always being chased. Skittles is paranoid like that. [roll0] Perception: [roll1]. Survival to find food along the way: [roll2].

Bhaakon
2011-12-02, 09:51 PM
Wanting to be free of the Matriach's influence as soon as possible, Feldath urges you forward, "lets get this over with as quickly as possible. The alchemist's home is only a a day's run west of here in my wolf form, but it may take two or more for you to trudge through the bush."

"Wait, what? We can't go back towards Tieup," exclaims Fay, who had hung back quietly during your confrontation with the Matriarch.

Frosty
2011-12-02, 10:24 PM
"It may not take as long as you imagine. My healing energies also soothes peoples' weariness. I have enough to share with everyone, and we can keep going without sleep."

To Fay, Abigail says, "Let us do this quickly and leave quickly. Of course, I cannot make you come along, but I'm not so sure that you'll be safer and better off on your own in this wilderness."

stack
2011-12-03, 12:01 AM
"One alchemist in the wilderness is still a long way from Tieup. We should have little to fear. One man cannot stand long against us. He should leave, unless he is quite mad. Not unheard of in alchemists, mind you."

Bhaakon
2011-12-03, 12:03 AM
"I go with you then, for now," Fay acquiesces. Then, whispering, "you may want trust the werewolves, but I wouldn't wander these woods alone with his kin about. They're dangerous, whether they mean to be or not, and even more so because they have a cause to fight for."

If you want to respond to this, feel free, but it looks like everyone's raring to go, so I'm going to advance.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first day of travel passes uneventfully. Feldath spends much of his time in wolf form, leading you west at a quick pace. Abigail's divine touch allows you to walk much farther in a day, and a guide with knowledge of the path means none of the dead ends and back-tracking that plagued your initial travel through Aeldwood.

Abigail can not stave off the need for sleep indefinitely, though, and set up camp near an old, hollow tree. "We're moving more quickly than I could have hoped, we should be there tomorrow evening." Feldath says as he munches on some borrowed bear-jerky.

pick a watch, roll perception, and advance your sheets to 3rd level (if you haven't already)

Frosty
2011-12-03, 12:50 AM
Abigail spends a bit of time upkeeping her skin, and then she goes on watch for the rest of the night, along with anyone else who is on watch. She can even see in the dark, but her eyesight itself just wasn't very good to begin with, unfortunately.

Perception - [roll0]

It's atrocious tonight, apparently.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-03, 12:52 AM
"Yes they are dangerous. But if we can get some money and equipment then it is worth it." Lyle responds to Fay.

"I shall take the last watch. And maybe a good meal."

perception [roll0]
cook[roll1]

TurtleKing
2011-12-03, 12:59 AM
I'll keep an eye out whenever my shift. Skittles then goes to sleep if not his turn.

Perception: [roll0]. Stealth for good measure: [roll1]. Yea Skittles is skittish. Maybe the reason why his name is Skittles.

stack
2011-12-03, 02:00 PM
"I'll take first. Honey needs a good brush-down after that hike, give us both a chance to stretch out." He pulls out a flask and tips it into the bear's mouth before taking a swig himself, then offering it around.

perception [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-12-03, 03:27 PM
The night passes uneventfully, though you hear the distant howling of wolves echo through the forest several times. Feldath isn't foolish enough to try to respond, but he fidgets anxiously whenever they are audible.

After your rest, the werewolf pushes you to leave as early as possible, "we must be done with this errand quickly. After my failure, I fear the Alpha may do something rash."

Frosty
2011-12-03, 07:33 PM
"You mean because they haven't heard from you, they presume you were killed or captured and might try to attack the Circle?"

Abigail hurries and h elps everyone pack and such so they can get moving.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-03, 11:40 PM
"Angry that you couldn't howl back last night? No problem you will be back with them by tonight. But I do agree, let's go and do this thing."

stack
2011-12-04, 01:59 PM
Bors arms and saddles Honey at first light. "Let us be done quickly then so you can tell the Alpha what has happened. It would not do to have a war start because we were tardy."

He mounts with practiced ease, glad to be away from the previous day's contentions. Honey, for his part, seemed much happier as well.

Bhaakon
2011-12-04, 02:48 PM
"Yes," Feldath answers to Abigail's question, than pushes you forward towards your goal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You march throughout the day, again making excellent progress and encountering no obstacles. You clear the final ridge line shortly before sundown, and Feldath points out your goal: the very same cabin you found after you battle at the log bridge. There are still no signs of life from within.

stack
2011-12-04, 03:13 PM
"We should look about before knocking. Honey will nose about. Keep your eyes open, he may be cautious." Man and bear set out to make a wide circle around the house.

Bors survival to look for tracks: [roll0]
Honey survival to look for tracks: [roll1] w/ scent
Honey perception to look for tracks: [roll2] w/ scent

Bhaakon
2011-12-04, 03:29 PM
Bors and Honey work their way around the cabin at the tree line, careful to hide their presence, though the building's two tiny windows are shuttered. The cavalier spots a single trail heading to cabin from the north west: a single clear boot print with a drag mark where the left leg should be and regularly spaced deep hole, as if whoever left the prints was putting much of their weigh on a crutch or cane.

The normally jovial bear's hackles come up as you cross the tracks, and he remains agitated even after rejoining the group.

Frosty
2011-12-04, 03:57 PM
"Well, what did Honey find? Anyone in the cabin?"

stack
2011-12-05, 08:35 AM
Bors nods. "Could be. One set of tracks, from that side." He points. "Looks like he uses a crutch or similar. Feldath, this alchemist lame? Feels a bit wrong, strong arming a cripple, but I'm sure he's earned it."

He draws his weapon. "Shall we say hello? In the front door, maybe Skittle tries to open a window?"

Will a certain bear fit in the door? How long would it take to make a door in the wall?

Bhaakon
2011-12-05, 06:05 PM
"He was whole last time I saw him, but that was over a week ago."

Yes, Honey can fit through the door.

TurtleKing
2011-12-05, 07:07 PM
Well last time here just a day or two after that nobody was home when we scouted it. Oh I hope he has some food I am starving. Skittles likes his chops in anticipation of raiding the alchemist's larder.

Frosty
2011-12-05, 07:19 PM
"You...are eager to eat stuff you find in an alchemist's house?" Abigail asks, raising an eyebrow. "Well...do you want to go over ther eand try to opent he door, or should we just knock?"

stack
2011-12-05, 07:58 PM
"Listen at the window, then knock hard. Honey and I can try to make an entrance, especially if we have a little help with the door. He won't be needing it again anyhow. Could put him in a cooperative mood."

Frosty
2011-12-05, 08:10 PM
"While not my preferred method, we are in a hurry. I suppose some up front intimidation can do that. So...Honey can't knock down the door by himself?"

stack
2011-12-05, 10:44 PM
Bors smiles. "Can he? No doubt, but why should he have all the fun? Kicking in doors is great fun. So, anyone listening at the window before the big entrance?"

It is, really. Hard on the door jamb though.

Bors strength check [roll0]
Honey strength check [roll1] any size mods?

Bhaakon
2011-12-05, 10:57 PM
So are you rolling the strength checks to force the door? I can't tell from what you wrote.

If so, Honey gets +4

Frosty
2011-12-06, 12:41 AM
So it's not a Bullrush attempt against the door? Abigail helps with a Str check then. [roll0]

Kon Lesh
2011-12-06, 01:11 AM
Lyle, not wanting to fall behind of the others will also join with breaking down the door.

aid another strength check [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-12-06, 03:24 PM
The door gives way under your combined assault, snapping its bolt and flying open. You are greeted by the yawning barrel of blunderbuss linked to the door by a bit of twine. The hammer drops, unleashing a gout of flame on the gate crashers.

@Honey, Bors, Abigail, Lyle
8 fire damage to each of you, DC 15 Reflex save for half

As the smoke clears, you begin to resolve the dimly lit cabin. Fine examples of taxidermy fill the place, from mundane buck heads to what you're fairly certain is a young black dragon mounted above the fireplace. The right-hand wall is covered in shelves of bottles and vials full of various alchemical ingredients. Light filters through the murky liquid preserving a bank of specimens stacked in front of window.

The wall opposite the alchemical laboratory holds household furnishings: a table, a heavy chest, a book case full of books, and a bed. An oddly blurred figure sits on the bed, propped up by pillows. A block of incense burns on the nightstand besides a wicked little collection of knives and saws, but it does little to cover the stench of rotting flesh: the man's foot, sticking out from under heavy blankets at an odd angle, is blackened and gangrenous.

"Didn't think I'd be seeing you again," growls Pitt from the bed. Two empty vials clatter to the floor as he raises his musket.

stack
2011-12-06, 04:09 PM
Bors reflex [roll0]
Honey reflex [roll1]
"GRRAAWWR" Bad man hurt friends, stinky bad man!

"Didn't expect to see you either. Explains poisoning the shrine. Abigail, I think negotiations will be insufficient." Bors holds his hammer ready, only momentarily restraining himself and the bear.

initiative [roll2]

TurtleKing
2011-12-06, 04:20 PM
Skittles

Oh that leg looks bad. You need to have it chopped off or you will die. Do what some help with that? Hehe! Skittles peering around the door hefting his horsechopper with a manical grin on his face.

OOC: Since doesn't seem apparent holding my action till after he shoots. Then attacking.

Bhaakon
2011-12-06, 07:44 PM
I'm having problem making the map, so I'm going to go mapless for this one.

For the purposes of placement, Bors, Honey, Abigail, and Lyle burst through the door and into the cabin, Skittles is just outside with Feldath and Fay. Everyone inside can reach Pitt with 1 move action, anyone outside needs 2. Everyone get to act before Pitt

stack
2011-12-06, 08:57 PM
"No river to save you this time. We'll make it quicker than the gangrene would." As Bors speaks,his hammer rises. The big man barrels forward, followed by a streak of angry fur and claws, their war cries melding together in atonal fury, small vials and furniture cast aside in their wake.

Bors charge & attack w/ power attack
attack [roll0] (cavalier's charge is +4, no ac penalty)
damage [roll1]
HP 19 AC 17

Honey charge if possible
bite [roll2]
damage [roll3]
HP 12, ac 17

Frosty
2011-12-06, 10:14 PM
HP: 29/33, Saves: 11/4/6; AC14+4 Def vs Pitt

After kicking the door down, what could greet our paladin other than face full of fiery powder? Managing to duck out of the way to avoid the worst of the burn, she knows that this man has no remorse. "Pitt, you will not hurt any more of my friends. Gods, guide my hand!"

Empowered with holy rage, Abigail rushes up to a flanking position on the other side of the bed and strikes!

Free: Abigail->Smite Evil ( Pitt );
Abigail->MoveToPosition ( Flank Pitt with Bors );
Abigail->AttackwithGreatSword ( Pitt );

Is Pitt prone?
Attack (+2 Flank, +4 Smite): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Kon Lesh
2011-12-07, 12:19 AM
"ARGH, what the...There is a god! We get to kill Pitt!" You here Lyle yell out joyfully as he charges forward and swings his shield into Pitt's face.

reflex save [roll0]
charge action with combat expertise (+2 attack) [roll1]
damage [roll2]
swift action: active defense on Bors (+1 dodge AC)

Bhaakon
2011-12-07, 04:13 PM
Bors and Honey charge Pitt, but their attacks bounce harmlessly off of some kind of conjured barrier. Abigial and Lyle prove more fortunate, bypassing the barrier and sinking their weapons deep into the gravely injured alchemist.

Pitt grits his teeth and wheels his musket on Abigial, launching a point-blank shot that drills a clean hole through the paladin's lung. A mortal wound, if she were mortal.

@abigail
4 damage

Sensing his doom, Pitt drops the spent musket and reaches for the burning oil lamp beside his bed. His eyes flash towards a squat little keg at the other side of the cabin.

@everyone around the bed
AoO, almost forgot.

stack
2011-12-07, 04:34 PM
"No, you won't be taking us with you." The hammer swings at the lamp.

His ursine compatriot acts with less finesse, claws and teeth flashing toward the prone man.

Sunder attempt [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Honey full attack:
bite [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw 1 [roll4]
damage [roll5]

claw 2 [roll6]
damage [roll7]

stack
2011-12-07, 04:35 PM
AOO:if its from the previous round, PA is still on, so [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Honey
bite [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Frosty
2011-12-07, 05:04 PM
Abigail's AoO on Pitt for firing the musket:
Attack (+2 flank, +4 Smite Evil): [roll0]
Damage (+3 Smite Evil): [roll1]

Bhaakon
2011-12-07, 05:06 PM
Honey clamps on to Pitt's neck just as his hand closes on the lamp, both of which are crushed beneath Bors's hammer. With a viscous shake, the bear snaps the alchemist's neck.

XP, loot
300 xp for Pitt + 200 quest XP = 500 XP

1 MW musket
1 blunderbuss
1 formula book
100 GP
1 MW chain shirt
1 keg of powder
6 potions

You can search the cabin for more w/ a perception roll, an appraisal check, and/or a craft (alchemy) check.

Frosty
2011-12-07, 06:15 PM
Perception check - [roll0]

Hmm...we're still pretty behind on our wealth by level. I'm still using non-MW equipment :smalltongue: Hope we find more stuff.

TurtleKing
2011-12-07, 07:54 PM
Ah but I wanted to behead him. Fine I'll just fine his larder. Skittles then looks around for the larder or other container of foodstuff. Well while taking in the rest.

Perception: [roll0]. Favored Terrain Urban applies to buildings so already added that +2. If the favored enemy counts as well then another +2 gets added in. While at Survival roll just in case [roll]1d20+10[roll] with the same applying of +2 for favored terrain. Favored enemy adds another +2 if applicable. Skittles has been out of trail rations for 4-5 days now making Survival checks along the way. How can you fault him for being hungry?

stack
2011-12-07, 09:40 PM
After pulling Honey away, mouth red, Bors stand still for a moment, contemplating the long delayed finish. "It's done. He deserved it, but I still can't find any joy in it. Let's spend no more time here than we must."

He takes a moment to calm the bear, who afterwords ambles through the room sniffing for food.

Bors perception [roll0]
Honey perception [roll1] (only likely to notice food or other things of interest to a bear)

Firearms are exotic in this setting? If they are martial, Bors could use the musket, for occasions he can't charge. Otherwise probably best to sell. Won't spend a feat and the -4 is rough. If they are close enough for the touch attack to offset the penalty, they are likely close enough to charge.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-07, 09:59 PM
"Wonderful. It is good that he...where are the familiars? Did they really just leave him here. Ummm...oh yeah...looting first then destroy evidence."

perception [roll0]

TurtleKing
2011-12-07, 10:48 PM
That other guy saw him fall into the ravine thinking he died. So they don't know he is still alive so we should be good.

Bhaakon
2011-12-07, 11:13 PM
A thorough search reveals a trap-door hidden beneath a fur rug in one corner of the cabin. There's a stout lock, but you find the key stashed in one of Pitt's boots.

The door leads to a dug-out cellar. The near half holds preserved food: dried meats, wines and liquors of varying quality, pickled vegetables, and a three week supply of trail rations stuffed into a surprisingly spacious backpack.

The far side of the chamber can only be described as a trophy room, full of items taken from the bounty hunter's humanoid prey. Some are worthless: a dessicated left hand, a a silk scarf ruined by blood, a rusty iron helm pierced through by a bullet. Others are valuable: a platinum bracelet, a strand of nearly-matching pearls, a minotaur-sized nose ring. Still other are useful: a finely wrought suit of banded mail (with only slight blood staining), a claymore of simple design but surpassing balance, and a handax with a tastefully engraved silversheen head.

1 MW banded mail
1 MW 2-handed sword
1 MW, silversheen hand ax
1 surprisingly handy haversack full of 3 weeks' trail rations
400 gold in jewelry

Feldath looks around the cabin himself as you search, "I never liked this place. This man sought to manipulate and dominate nature, not understand it or even live along side it. You know, the only payment he asked for his services was a sample of our blood."

TurtleKing
2011-12-07, 11:20 PM
FOOD! Food! Food! Food! Yes now don't have to scrounge around on the run. And oh shiny jewelry. Skittles hugs the bag of food to his chest shaking back and forth like a little child would with a toy.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-07, 11:53 PM
:smallbiggrin: And through the grin you can hear Lyle "This is quite nice. It is nice to...You gave him your blood...WHAT THE ABYSS!! Were you really that desperate? I actually feel a little sorry for you. But still, Let us loot." Lyle looks at some of the equipment and jewels. All with a huge smile on his face.

Frosty
2011-12-08, 02:27 AM
"I wonder if the Matriarch would want us to dismantle this cabin. That might take too long however. Maybe we can drag the body outside to show that we killed Pitt?"

To Feldath, "As for you, I guess now we take you to your Pack? I hope they won't be violent..."

Bhaakon
2011-12-08, 02:37 AM
"You could burn it, I suppose, or just leave the door open for the owl to look for itself."

"Whatever you do, make it quick. The sooner we're on our way, the better," chimes in Faye.

Frosty
2011-12-08, 02:38 AM
"Burn the place? Isn't that dangerous? I don't want to set the whole surrounding forest and grass on fire by accident."

Bhaakon
2011-12-08, 02:44 AM
"It's Spring, the forest is too damp for it to spread. Probably." Feldath shrugs. He seems to have lost interest now that his 'community service' is completed, and keeps looking back to the east.

Frosty
2011-12-08, 02:53 AM
"Hey, you're still a druid at heart aren't you? Shouldn't you care a bit more about the envrionment? Don't worry. We'll get you back to your pack soon."

stack
2011-12-08, 08:02 AM
Bors looks over the valuables recovered. "A trophy taker, no surprise. Seemed like the type. Now ,Lyle, we aren't bandits simply looting. We are claiming the blood-price, restitution for Saren and for the suffering he no doubt caused countless others we'll never know of. I say we take him outside and burn the place. These noxious elixirs can only cause mischief if left."

"Now lets get anything not bound for the fire outside. On second thought, let's show the owl the body, then burn it. His home can be his pyre."

Frosty
2011-12-08, 11:26 AM
"Sounds like a good idea to me."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-08, 12:56 PM
"That....just sounds like how the law does things just a bit too much, Bors. And beside we are going to burn the place anyway. Might as well as loot some stuff that I have no idea what it is. Might find a better alchemist that can explain some things if I grab anything important. Maybe the dragon head from up stairs...No to heavy. But these look nice. And a bit of celebration is in order." Lyle then proceeds to take the wine and liquor from the basement. When he returns upstairs, Lyle will also take several of the vials from the work bench (making sure that they all have stoppers in them). Lyle will also take a moment to look at the bookshelf for any interesting book to take. After Lyle has spent a moment or two looting the house he returns to Bors and Abigail with a large smile on his face. "That was looting. Lets set it on fire."

note: Lyle is working fast with all of this. The 2 highest alcohol content for the liquor. A white and red wine. The prettiest color vials. And any books whose pages talk about cooking or look overly complicated. Lyle is not really thinking, only taking. I think that this would be a secret wisdom roll to represent him going on only instincts. If you want me to roll something then I shall.

Bhaakon
2011-12-08, 03:07 PM
Lyle gives the house a final once-over. He strips the dragon hide off its mount, there's not enough material to craft armor for a human, but it's no doubt quite valuable. He grabs is pick of the liquors, one of which is a smooth old whiskey, the other seems to be nearly pure alcohol, and two bottles of old-looking wine. The fighter has no clue what to make of the alchemical regents, but a small violet bottle marked "poppy extract" looks promising, as does a heavy flask of quicksilver.

Mining the bookshelf is time-consuming, but there are a few gems hidden in there: a treatise on alchemy, a guide to identifying the tracks of various creatures, and valuable-looking old tome on the practical application of magical theory.

loot in crunch form

1 medium-sized black dragon hide, 20 lbs, 100 gp
1 bottle of 20-year old single-malt whiskey, 1 lbs, 20 gp
1 bottle of 190-proof alcohol, 1 lb, can be drunk or used as an incendiary like a flask of oil. 1 lb, 5 gp
2 bottles of good-quality wine, 3 lb, 20 gp total
1 vial of "poppy extract" (ie: opium), --lbs, 25 gp
1 flask of quicksilver, 4 lbs, 30 gp

1 +2 bonus on craft (alchemy) book, 1 lb, 50 gp
1 footprint book , 3 lb, 50 gp
1 +2 knowledge (arcana) book, 1 lb, 50 gp

Frosty
2011-12-08, 08:52 PM
Abigail helps carry the stuff out, and then she's ready to burn the place down. "Be ready to fight the fire in case it spreads!"

ooc - I got all the loot recorded. how do we want to split it?

1 MW musket
1 blunderbuss
1 formula book
100 GP
1 MW chain shirt
1 keg of powder
6 potions

1 MW banded mail [Abigail]
1 MW 2-handed sword [Abigail]
1 MW, silversheen hand ax
1 surprisingly handy haversack full of 3 weeks' trail rations [Skittles]
400 gold in jewelry

1 medium-sized black dragon hide, 20 lbs, 100 gp
1 bottle of 20-year old single-malt whiskey, 1 lbs, 20 gp
1 bottle of 190-proof alcohol, 1 lb, can be drunk or used as an incendiary like a flask of oil. 1 lb, 5 gp
2 bottles of good-quality wine, 3 lb, 20 gp total
1 vial of "poppy extract" (ie: opium), --lbs, 25 gp
1 flask of quicksilver, 4 lbs, 30 gp

1 +2 bonus on craft (alchemy) book, 1 lb, 50 gp
1 footprint book , 3 lb, 50 gp
1 +2 knowledge (arcana) book, 1 lb, 50 gp

TurtleKing
2011-12-08, 09:17 PM
Yes I have food and a spacious bag. The amount is not in fact 3 weeks worth. It is instead 20 days of food for a person. Reason why? I haven't eaten yet today. Having said that Skittles goes on ahead and digs in.

Bhaakon
2011-12-08, 10:17 PM
The spray of oil from the smashed lamp speeds the flames, and the cabin is soon engulfed. Odd gouts of colored flame shoot from heat-shattered windows and holes burnt in the roof as various alchemical mixtures cook off, but the fire never seriously threatens to spread to the surrounding forest. In a few hours, nothing is left but a charred stone chimney and a heap of glowing embers collapsed into the hidden cellar.

"Lets go, before someone comes to see what burned," says Faye, coughing slightly on the acrid smoke from the alchemist's lab.

stack
2011-12-09, 08:09 AM
"Aye, our task here is complete. Let's get Feldath back to his people, and hope the Alpha is reasonable." I have my doubts.

Bors takes one last look at the fire, then gathers as much of the gear as will fit into his saddle bags before giving a wave to the owl, wherever it is, and setting out behind the werewolf, keeping a close watch on him.

Frosty
2011-12-09, 01:18 PM
Abigail finds a secluded spot to change out of her scale male and into the banded mail. It is of excellent quality, although it is not quite as magnificent as the suit of full plate she had when she fought (and lost) to that foul necromancer. She is back in 5 minutes, ready to search out the Alpha. "Lead on, Feldath. Let's get you home."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-09, 04:01 PM
Bored after the excitement of watching Pitt's life going up in flames, Lyle begins reading. Lyle looks up from reading through the footprints book when Abigail comes out. "Wonderful, let's get moving. Where to?" He stands as he places the book back into his bag.

TurtleKing
2011-12-09, 04:28 PM
Lead on! If any of you want my well made old pack you can have it. Skittles after finishing his meal went on ahead and transfered his items to the new pack.

Bhaakon
2011-12-09, 05:24 PM
The firstpart of your mission completes, Feldath leads you back to his pack, "at least I hope, we don't stay in one place for long. It's closer than the shrine, so we should be able to reach it before resting again"

I'm going to assume that you had a rest while watching the cabin burn, since it would have taken a few hours

He leads you back into the secluded expanse of the Aeldwood, cleaving to game trails when possible and bushwhacking when necessary. On one of those game trails feature signs of recent passage, shod horse-tracks heading east. "Another group of outsiders traveling our wilds, what an odd coincidence," comments your werewolf guide knowingly.

Survival DC 16
4 riders, 2 on heavy horses, 2 on light. the tracks are 2-3 days old

TurtleKing
2011-12-09, 07:17 PM
Dammit by the looks of things those familiars are still out here. Yes lets get you back to your pack so can leave. Skittles loads his crossbow ready for to shoot at a moments notice while darting his eyes.

Need I roll perception? [roll0]? Add 2 to that if favored enemy. Yes he always feels like someone is watching him.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-09, 07:52 PM
survival [roll0]

"Yeah...but they have even more friends then before. But also old tracks. They might be heading back home, Thronhart, or Deeping. If they are gone then that is good. I don't want to be surprised like before. Lead on Feldath."

Lyle decides to have his shield out for the rest of the trip.

Frosty
2011-12-10, 12:21 AM
Abigail has no tracking skills, unfortunately. "Let's get this over with quickly. Are we getting close?"

Bhaakon
2011-12-10, 03:29 AM
"Not far," says Feldath, and he's right. An hour later you're stopped by a young elf woman, one of the pickets around the werewolf camp.

"Worry not, brother, many of us in the trees," she says in halting, thickly accented common, "surrender weapons and come with us now."

"Best to do as Lupa suggests," says Feldath.

stack
2011-12-11, 02:07 PM
Bors, weary from the ride, fails to contain his incredulity. "Surrender our weapons? You think us assassins? I'm not so convinced of your good intent to walk into your camp unarmed. We're delivering an offer, not killing ourselves. Your own man has little enough faith that we will be received peacefully, so no, I will hold onto my weapon, thank you."

He looks around, daring the forest to try and disarm him.

Frosty
2011-12-11, 02:27 PM
Abigail agrees with Bors, but is more polite. "Just a few days ago, I made sure the other druids in these parts did not fordefully "cure" Feldath against his will, and we trekked here to return him safely. Now, if you don't want us in your camp, that's fine. Feldath can deliver the message without us. Feldath, you're free to go tell everyone what happened. We'll be leaving now unless we are invited in as *guests*."

Bhaakon
2011-12-13, 10:32 AM
Feldtath steps forward to speak with the other werewolf.

If you speak elven
Feldath give and abridged version of events, including the death of his fellow werewolves and the episode with the Matriarch. The female's eyes narrow at the first bit of news, but widen at the mention of the druid leader. He says that he doesn't believe you have hostile intentions, but that the pack would be able to overpower your group if necessary. Eventually, he convinces her to allow you to keep your weapons, in exchange for a heavy guard.

After a few minutes of back and forth in elven (though oddly interspersed with yips and growls), Feldaths addresses the group, "You may keep your weapons, but you will be escorted in the camp at all times. A word of advice, before you continue with me: the Alpha will not like our news. It may already be too late for you to run, but this is your last chance to try."

TurtleKing
2011-12-13, 10:56 AM
Hmph never liked large groups or authority. As for the events any sensible person would stop you if using unholy methods to defile a sacred site. Skittles turns around and walks a few before turning his head back to see if the others are coming.

Frosty
2011-12-13, 02:51 PM
Abigail says, "I wish you and your pack the best of luck. I think we shall go now. Feldath, let us part ways peacefully."

She turns to walk away as well.

stack
2011-12-13, 03:24 PM
"Aye you can tell the story well enough.I hope that you all chose to end this peacefully, but either way I hope we do not cross paths. Farewell." Bors steers Honey back around with his knees, the bear responding slowly as he shifts his attention back and forth from the visible representative and the smells surrounding him, still discomfited by the werewolves.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-13, 06:27 PM
Lyle nods his head and follows the rest of the group. After a few moments of walking, "Ok, next time we come to a shrine, we don't pray at it. If this was the 'help' that we get, I don't want any. But anyway, which way? Somewhere to sell this stuff might be nice. And hopefully not into a group a familiars. Unless we come upon them first...then maybe." As Lyle motions towards all of the extra gear.

stack
2011-12-13, 08:54 PM
Bors look troubled, momentarily halting his constant looking over his shoulder. "Not Deeping. I say we go on past. Maybe up to the dwarves in the mountains. I don't know, but Deeping wouldn't be safe. For me anyhow." His eyes grow distant as he falls into memory before shaking his head and resuming his watchfulness.

Bhaakon
2011-12-14, 08:24 PM
Feldath nods at your decision, "You spared my life then saved it, so I'll tell you this: run from here and don't stop until you collapse. The Alpha will surely try to hunt you down. I have not forgotten that you slew my brothers, either so it will be better for you if we never meet again."

need a direction of travel

stack
2011-12-14, 08:35 PM
Bors and Honey take point, heading East per the original plan, not wishing to stop and discuss alternatives until they are well clear of the druidic conflicts. If the matriarch had been more accommodating, I might have tried to send word home...would still have been risky. I'm not sure the druids wouldn't have traded us for aid against the werewolves...Best to just be well away from all this. Let that fool king deal with them when this gets bloody. Maybe he'll be useful for once. Or better yet, the throne will find a more worthy occupant...

Kon Lesh
2011-12-14, 10:25 PM
"Sounds good. I really don't want to go anywhere with the empire's rule. Maybe the dwarves? All they worry about is how long you can stay at the table. But east will work quite well." And anywhere without wolves or druids or stupid politics. Lyle continues walking, obviously wishing to just move on from all of this.

TurtleKing
2011-12-14, 10:28 PM
So Bors can't go back to Deeping and I certainly can't go east. Don't know if things have died down or not yet? That leaves us where? So can we…South? Or North among the mountains? Skittles moves along keeping eye out for dangers with the crossbow at the ready.

Frosty
2011-12-15, 01:25 AM
"I do not have anywhere in particular I cannot go, although I'd prefer to go someplace where we can do some good, and listen for rumors about necromancers..."

Abigail makes sure she keeps the rest of the party alert and un-faituged with her lay-on-hands if need be.

Bhaakon
2011-12-15, 01:28 AM
South is sparsely inhabited. East gets you to the dwarves, if you manage to cross the river (which is fairly populated from Deeping north, and a deep swamp between Deeping and the ocean). North is land controlled by the orcs, effectively beyond the reach of the Empress, but you have to get through a band of fairly dense "civilized" population to reach it.

Frosty
2011-12-15, 01:34 AM
Abigail asks Bors as she feeds Honey some jerky, "So...why can't you go to Deeping, if you don't mind sharing some stories, Bors? If you wish instead, I can go first about my own story and how I came to be. I see no point in trying to hide anything from you all anymore about my past."

stack
2011-12-15, 08:09 AM
Bors shrugs and looks away. "The long and short of it is my family is there, who I need to stay away from for their sake. The baron of Deeping and I know each other, this is not a good thing. He knows I am anathema and would enjoy giving me to the familiars."

Frosty
2011-12-15, 03:23 PM
"Is this Baron holding your family hostage or something? Does this man need to jump off the mortal coil?"

stack
2011-12-15, 03:39 PM
Bors sighs. "Nothing like that. No one is in mortal danger unless we go to Deeping. I would rather not talk about it any more, if you don't mind. Some memories are painful and not every matter can be solved. It is enough that my family is safe, as safe as any, now that they have to need to shelter me."

"Deeping is no safe place for anathema these days. Best to be on our way."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-15, 06:42 PM
"So then, I guess the question is Orcs up north or nothing down south. Selling this stuff might be nice. But orcs...I don't really want to go up against creatures that can kill in a single swing like that." Lyle shutters as he recalls some stories about orcs. "South might be best. Anyone have any objections?"

stack
2011-12-15, 10:00 PM
"Orcs or swamp? I would still say east into the mountains. The dwarves would likely trade without too many questions. Be harder to track us in the swamp though...might be wise for a bit. Rather not try the orc lands, not yet."

Swamp? Swamp smell. Fur get wet.

Frosty
2011-12-16, 01:51 AM
"I do not have a prefereance. Just wherever there is evil that needs to be rooted out and people that need to be helped."

TurtleKing
2011-12-16, 02:09 AM
Well we go south can save a person from a crocodile. Swamps sounds like a just a good of place to get lost as the mountains or even better. Better than mountains since have abundant sources of food about.

stack
2011-12-16, 08:43 AM
"Abigail, there seems to be people in need everywhere. I have no doubt we will find more." He shakes his head ruefully. A needy world indeed, and us not the least.

Man and bear turn South, heading for the endless stretches of marsh. Well, this will be unpleasant, or would be if we don't get attacked by angry werewolves first..."

Bhaakon
2011-12-16, 03:47 PM
You take flight and head south. Bushwacking without a druid to guide you proves slow, tiring work, but you keep at it until you're ready to drop from exhaustion, only to be temporarily revived by Abigail's divine touch for another few hours of walking. It's hard to tell in the trackless forest, but, if your throbbing feet are any indication, you've covered a fair bit of ground when you finally stop to take your rest. Even the undead paladin, immune to such discomforts, finds a mess of chaffed and torn flesh in need of repair when she removes her boots.

just fluff, Abigail isn't actually injured in any mechanical sense.

If you want to press one, roll forced march checks. If you want to rest, watch order and perception.

stack
2011-12-16, 03:55 PM
Think we'd be used to long days of walking through the wild. Least we can rest for a bit. Unless the wolves followed, then this night will be more interesting than I would care for.

Bors dismounts and makes camp, passing the ever-lighter skin of mead around. "I'll take first watch. Perhaps we forgo a fire. If the wolves followed, they will be on our scent, but a fire could attract others as well. Not like to be any that would find us that we want to meet."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-16, 04:11 PM
"No fire? Alright guess that makes sense. But don't blame me if anything comes upon us because I can't see it. Bears, rat people, undead all being able to see in the dark or other stuff. Being a human is annoying. I will take the last watch. Might as well try to have a time when I can actually see. Mmmm...but yeah a bit of rest would be nice. Night all." Lyle places his gear next to the tree that he is laying against and falls asleep.

perception for my watch [roll0]

Frosty
2011-12-18, 02:04 AM
"We are all tired. Let us make camp and see if we can't get through the night unmolested. I will be vigilante."

Abigail takes ALL shifts of course.

perception - [roll0]

TurtleKing
2011-12-18, 02:09 AM
I'll take whatever shift needed. Skittles says while eating before sleeping.

Perception: [roll]1d20+8[roll]. Usual speech of +2 in regards to favored enemy as become attuned to their stench.

TurtleKing
2011-12-18, 02:10 AM
Stupid forum roller. Perception: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-12-18, 05:16 AM
There's no attack on your camp, but the distant sound of many wolves howling is carried to you on the wind. Skittles judges that the source is quite distant, back where you split with Feldath, but it dies out long before the group awakens. The ratkin also swears that he saw the shadow of a large bird, perhaps an owl, against the gibbous moon.

I'm going to assume that you continue SE here

Another morning of marching follows, and around noon you find yourselves before a river, the same one you crossed on the log. This time it's not at the bottom of a deep canyon, but it's still flowing fast, cold, and deep. There are no easy crossings that you can see, it's either risk a swim or head straight east. If you do head east, you're far enough south to avoid Deeping, or any highly populated lands, between you and the dwarves.

Kon Lesh
2011-12-18, 07:35 AM
Lyle looks at his armor...Then his shield...Then his pack filled to the brim which includes several books. He turns to his compatriots, then to the river, then to his traveling companions. "No...There is no way that I can cross. I have just too much stuff and I'm dropping none of it. So follow the river east."

stack
2011-12-18, 05:28 PM
Bors looks over the rapid flow. "I don't fancy a swim either. May be we find a ford upstream, or at least another big log. I say East as well."

Frosty
2011-12-18, 09:31 PM
Abigail is fine with going East. "Think the pack might still be coming after us?"

TurtleKing
2011-12-18, 10:09 PM
East it is till find a way across. If we tried swimming only end up like that Alchemist we torched. Skittles sighs before guiding them watching for tracks.

Survival: [roll0]. Add +2 if favored enemy tracks.

The Wolf people? Not likely they were still back where we split. Say are my eyes and ears good?

Bhaakon
2011-12-19, 12:30 AM
Skittles leads the group east, hugging the shoreline and scanning the muddy banks for tracks. As one would expect from a water source in a healthy forest , there are many: the cloven hooves of deer and boar, the familiar clawed impression of a bear, the print of a big cat nearly two hand-spans across, but none are fresh enough to promise impending danger or good eating.

Around midday you finally come to a place where the river broadens and splits around a clutch of small, stony islands, a promising spot to ford. You aren't the first to make the attempt, though: your keen-eyed ratkin guide spots a mess of prints leading down into the water. There are five sets: four iron-shod horses and the paw print of a large wolf. The trail-wise ranger scrapes a large mud clod kicked up by the mounts off of a river-rounded boulder, revealing a damp core under its sun-dried crust. The conclusion is clear to all: the tracks are but a few hours old.

stack
2011-12-19, 09:19 AM
Bors joins the others in looking over the tracks before standing straight and scanning across the river. "Horses and a wolf, eh? Would be a hunting party. Not sure who else would head into the swamp. Still, might be best to avoid them entirely. We could make camp, wait a bit for them to clear out. Not too close though, if this is a well known crossing we may see more traffic than we care to. Or we can keep going upstream and look for another ford. Can't say which would be best, though a few more miles behind us wouldn't feel bad."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-19, 07:32 PM
Lyle looks at the tracks and listening about the information that skittle provides. He then looks across the river and then further East. The same as in the forest...Mmmmm...I don't like this. I don't like familiars but I don't want to be following them blindly around. And even if they aren't familiars I don't want to be chasing a well armed group of people. I am ok with crossing the river, but I don't want to follow the tracks. Nor do I want to be standing around for a while. Let's decide now. Cross or continue along this side. I say continue. If nothing worse, we get to the dwarves. And I for one wouldn't might some of their ale.

Frosty
2011-12-19, 09:05 PM
"We can't go on avoiding people forever, but I suppose some paranoia is not unwarranted after all that has happened. Fine, let us continue onto the dwarven lands then. Maybe their government will be les...nasty than ours."

Kon Lesh
2011-12-19, 09:26 PM
"Not my government and never has been. Funny thing is is that if it wasn't for our unique 'abilities' I probably would have felt your sword against my shield. Hehehehe. But you are fun to be with so it is alright." Lyle says as he places an arm around Abigail. Then noticing that her...skin...gives way a little as he places a bit of his weight on her, he quickly raises his arm off of her. "Oh, sorry...Didn't mean to do that."

stack
2011-12-20, 07:57 AM
"None of us would be where we are." He looks wistfully North, toward Deeping, before a thought dawns on him and he glances at the ratkin. Well, most of us anyway.

"May as well press on then. If the familiars went into the swamp, that sounds like good cause to go elsewhere...unless they are after someone or something in particular. Could be their quarry would be friendly to us, or in need of our aid. Blast, I don't want to go looking for another fight with them, but..." He looks questioningly at Abigail.

Frosty
2011-12-20, 12:49 PM
"If we have reason to believe that the Familiars are after someone else, then at the very least it is tactically sound to rescue whomever they're after. Think of it as recruiting for our...cause. We'd be gathering allies. Also, I *could* bore you all with the parable about how in this one country each minority group failed to act on behalf of the others when the government came to crush a group, and eventually, there were no other groups that could help the last one. but, I think you all get the jist."

Bhaakon
2012-01-02, 07:23 PM
@everyone
OK, that's enough of a holday hibernation for me. If somebody wants to give a plan of action, I'm more than ready to get this going again. So do you cross, continue on this side of the river, build a raft, what?

Bhaakon
2012-01-03, 09:44 PM
The crossing is freezing, but not particularly dangerous, as the water never rises above knee-level. The living members of the group empty their boots and do their best to wring out breeches and stockings as Abigail keeps watch.

A partially overgrown trail heads south from the ford, and a quick reconnoitering reveals a fork a stone's throw from the river: the tracks take the southern branch, the eastern branch shows no recent activity.

Frosty
2012-01-04, 03:04 AM
"Let's keep following the tracks."

stack
2012-01-04, 08:02 AM
Bors nods. "Aye, we didn't numb our toes to take a nice stroll. Could have had that on the other side."

Bors re-mounts, keeping his weapons ready. Honey ambles along, un-bothered by the cold water and disappointed that they did not stop to fish. Big pink fishies tasty.

Bhaakon
2012-01-04, 05:36 PM
You head south, following the tracks. The tracking is easy--the dirt path is wet and the riders are making no attempt to conceal their passage--and Skittles is quick to notice that the wolf's tracks are often impressed over the horse tracks, but never the other way around.

You follow the riders for the rest of the day, but, being on foot, you don't begin to pick up ground until they stop to rest. As evening sets in, the wolf tracks diverge from the path and head into the forest, and the enticing scent of a cooking fire drifts down the trail on a weak breeze. The riders are camped just over the next rise.

Frosty
2012-01-04, 06:05 PM
"Wolves have been...following the riders? Wonder why."

Smelling the food, she motions for everyone to be quiet. "Looks like they're camped beyond that rise. Skittles, do you want to go ahead and take a peek and then report back?"

Kon Lesh
2012-01-04, 06:38 PM
"Really hope that we arn't just walking right into a group of those wolfmen again. Oh and Skittle...This time don't charge in shooting. We should do it together if at all possible."

stack
2012-01-04, 09:31 PM
"Aye," Bors whispers, "Best to take them carefully. And to be sure of our foes before we strike. Unlikely as it may be, there could be others on this road. We must be certain." He nods to Abigail.

Honey smell anything helpful?

TurtleKing
2012-01-04, 11:29 PM
Wolves probably been tracking them for food...to raid their camp. Should try the same when most are asleep so meet little resistance. Just hope no wolves interested in me. Skittles then moves forward with his usual without being noticed stance to get a look.

"Stance" being Stealth. Will roll in OOC when I find my modifiers.

Bhaakon
2012-01-05, 01:56 AM
As usual, skittles skitters off ahead at the first sign of a threat.

@skittles
Your targets are camped a hundred or so paces ahead, around a bend in the path and over a gentle hill. Their four horses--two fine light chargers and two heavy draft animals--are hobbled and left to graze in rude "corral" consisting of a thick rope tied between four stout trees.

As the Ratkin approaches, it becomes obvious why the wolf was tracking the party: a quarter of dead bodies are stacked like cord-wood between the cooking fire and the grazing horses. All bear signs of torture: ribs showing through starved flesh, wrists rubbed bloody by tight bindings, limbs disjointed on the rack, precisely places burns and slices.

"Oi, Fletch, hit 'em wit dat wand. They're startin tuh smell agin. Kane sed the Necro wants em fresh," slurs a burly half-orc through badly scarred lips.

"You're smelling your upper lip, Nearl. Now shut up and mind the pot. You'll be walking to the tower if you burn the stew again," responds a slim half-elf as he lounges against a tree and thumbs through a book.

TurtleKing
2012-01-05, 11:02 PM
Skittles with that seen goes back recounting what he heard and seen. So the wolves are after the rotting corpses. Since nothing we can do for them might as well kill the two and leave them for the wolves. Seems like one can use wands... Skittles starts loading his crossbow ...so lets see what he thinks of my "wands of death". Less bodies for a "necro" the better.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-05, 11:32 PM
Lyle looks blankly at Skittle for a moment. He then moves his shield around and prepares to fight. He then in a very calm and collected voice "I can't agree more Skittle. Kill them, let the wolves eat them, and bury the corpses. And if they can say where said necro is then all the better."

Frosty
2012-01-06, 01:54 AM
Abigail sighs. "We can't interrogate them if they're dead. If we must, we can kill them afterwards. Let's aim for knocking them out first?"

stack
2012-01-06, 08:01 AM
Bors looks on with obvious disgust as Skittles relates the scene. "Sounds as if we would be doing the world a favor. But I agree, taking at least one alive for questioning would be wise, if possible. Might give us a lead to this necromancer. Sounds like the sort the land could do without. And he may be able to supply us with useful goods by his passing, in case the common good is not enough for you."

"Say we get as close as we dare, then Skittles flanks them? I doubt the rest of us could get far undetected. Though that may provide a diversion of it's own...Skittles, if you take the far side of the camp, I will loop to the side on Honey. Our approach should draw their attention from Abigail and Lyle. When they hear us, loose your bolts and the rest of us charge. Sounds like a plan?" He looks around for affirmation.

Fight bad men? Fun! Get treats too? Good fight, good treats.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-06, 09:43 AM
"It will be attempted to keep them alive. And I agree with the plan. Might as well as use the element of surprise to our advantage every so often."

Frosty
2012-01-06, 01:00 PM
"Yes, that sounds fine." the Paladin says as she pets Honey a few times. "Honey, do you hear that? We're about to fight for the common good and for justice!"

TurtleKing
2012-01-06, 02:00 PM
Well then lets surround them. Skittles then moves off around them going wide enough to avoid detection to get close enough on the far side to charge them.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]
+ appropiate modifers

stack
2012-01-06, 02:17 PM
stealth

Bors: [roll0]
Honey: [roll1]

leaving plenty of time for Skittles to get into position

Frosty
2012-01-06, 02:39 PM
Stealth of horrible-ness: 1d20=6

Frosty
2012-01-06, 02:46 PM
Let's try again: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-06, 05:31 PM
@everyone
After that performance, there's really no point in Lyle rolling. Needless to say, the plan failed.

Given that you were trying to be stealthy, I'm going to assume that Bors was leading Honey and not mounted, and I'll also rule that Skittles's crossbow is already loaded and ready to fire in anticipation of the ambush

The group gets as close as they dare, then splits apart to surround the camp. Unfortunately, the Paladin and Cavalier move through the wood with all the discordant clanging of two 6-foot tall wind chimes, and even Skittles, normally skilled in such matters, can't muffle a curse when he stumbles over a root half-buried in the underbrush. The ambush is spoiled before the ranger can get into position, and the half-orc and half-elf grab their weapons--a great-axe and longbow respectively--and turn towards you.

map, etc.
Lyle and Abigail are up, first full round.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CampRaid1.jpg

O: half-orc
E: half-elf

If you're in a square with a tree, you can use it for cover (20% miss chance on ranged attacks). No terrain restrictions.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-07, 01:42 AM
"Plan failed. AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!" Lyle charges forward against the orc. His shield moving in a large arc against his target.

Charge attack to O8 and attack the orc [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Frosty
2012-01-07, 01:51 AM
Abigail moves quickly, but is unable to reach the orc quite yet. "One chance! Surrender immediately, or die along your necromancer master!"

Using both Move Actions: Move to 5-O

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 02:18 AM
Lyle sprints at the hulking half-orc, hooking his spiked shield in behind the half-breed's own shield to tear a nasty gash in its arm. His success comes at a price: the warrior's charge leaves an opening, allowing the half-orc's sharpened tusks to find a gap in Lyle's armor and rip open his shoulder.

@Lyle
8 damage

Meanwhile, the half-elf retreats to the cover of a nearby tree and unleashes an arrow sheathed in aura of brilliant energy, lighting up the evening as it streaks into the dirt at Abigail's hustling feet.

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/campattack2.jpg

everyone's up

TurtleKing
2012-01-08, 12:26 AM
Caster kabob coming right up. Skittles then takes a shot at the half elf before putting away the crossbow.

Assuming Favored Enemy. Attack Half Elf at T7.
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

stack
2012-01-08, 11:07 PM
Seeing the plan blown, Bors swiftly mounts and steers Honey around the foliage, looking to flank their foes.

double move to P/Q 12/13

couldn't charge due to trees. Setting things up for a flank.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-11, 12:18 AM
"AGH! Bloody orc. Let's see you do that again!" His shield sweeping again at the orc

defensive attack with combat expertise [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC 24, FlatAC 20, touchAC 16

Frosty
2012-01-11, 02:32 PM
Abigail (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/profiler/view.php?id=24910)
HP: 33/33 AC: 16 Saves: 11F / 4R / 6W
Conditions: None

If they all focus on the orc, the half-elf might get away! The paladin will not allow these servitors of the necromancer to escape, and charges forward, greatsword in hand.

Power Attack: Off
Full-round action: Charge (to 7S) half-elf with greatsword

Bhaakon
2012-01-11, 07:55 PM
Lyle and the half-orc exchange blows, but their strikes draw nothing but spark of their opponent's shield. Bors, meanwhile, mounts up and moves to circle the burly axeman.

Abigail charges the half-elf, but he manages to hastily draw is shortsword and parry her blow. Fortunately, the paladin distracts her opponents long enough for Skittles to plant a bolt in a his hamstring.

The injured half-elf utters a few words of power and clasps Abigail's arm. A jolt of electricity surges through his grasp, but seems to arc around the Paladin and into the ground. The half-elf curses loudly.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/campattack3.jpg

stack
2012-01-11, 09:36 PM
Bors wheels Honey around, unable to see a path through the brush, and joins Lyle with hammer and fang assaulting the orcish defender.

I don't think I can reach the elf given the cover.

move to MN 9 10
Bors attack [roll0] (-1 PA, +1 high ground)
damage [roll1]
ride [roll2]

Honey attack [roll3]
damage [roll4]

Kon Lesh
2012-01-11, 11:39 PM
"You might have an ax, but we HAVE A BEAR! NOW GO DOWN!"

Fighting defensive+combat expertise
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
swift action to give Honey a +1 dodge AC
I messed up the AC bonus last time (I get another +1 from having 3ranks in acrobatics)
AC 25, FlatAC 20, touchAC 17

TurtleKing
2012-01-12, 12:36 AM
Skittles having put away his crossbow moves foward drawing his Horsechopper turning advancing on the Half Orc to finish cutting him down. Since can't reach that abomination you will have to do.

Move to K8 drawing the Horsechopper than moves to M8 to attack due to reach.

Crit confirm: [roll1]

Opening Volley adds +4 to attack for hitting with a ranged attack last turn. If favored enemy then attack and damage get the +2.

Frosty
2012-01-14, 02:16 AM

Abigail curses silently as she misses. Wanting to make sure that the half-elf can't escape, she steps around, trying to get behind the elf before the strikes!

Move Action: Move to 7U
Standard Action: Attack half-elf with greatsword

Bhaakon
2012-01-15, 01:34 AM
Skittles, Bors, and Honey close on the half orc while Lyle continues his assault, and all four allies scoring telling strikes. The half orc goes into a frothing rage--quite literally, spittle-flecked jaws clamp on Lyle's free arm while the half orc uses his own shield to bludgeon the human through his armor.

@lyle
12 damage

Abigail, meanwhile, sprints around the half-elf, dodging a poorly-timed punch and delivering a devastating counter with her sword. The spellcasting archer steps back from the paladin, his shape blurring and flickering oddly as he finishes another spell.

Map
Stack, I assume you mean N/O, 9/10, since the coordinates you gave would put you out of attack range.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Campattack4.jpg

everyone up, 24 hours. I'm going to start being stricter on the time limit.

TurtleKing
2012-01-15, 01:51 AM
Bors and Lyle you keep this guy busy I am going to finish what I started earlier. Skittles moves forward to get to get in a hit on the abomination.

Move to Q6 attacking the caster.
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll4]
Let the DM roll the miss chance?

Kon Lesh
2012-01-15, 02:31 AM
"COUGH! COUGH! I hate the taste of blood." Blood freely running along Lyle's side; the shield opening up the gore attack from earlier. The loss of blood making him feel a dizzy but he holds his shield hoping that it can balance him. Oddly the shield makes him feel more secure and he swipes his shield directly towards the half-orc's head hoping to finish this soon.

fighting defensively with combat expertise
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Frosty
2012-01-15, 03:27 AM

"Lyle! Fall back a bit! I shall help finish off the half-orc!" shouts the paladin to her injured comrade. She moves quickly, ignoring the archer for now, and strikes at the half-orc!

Move Action: Move to 8Q
Standard Action: Attack half-orc with greatsword
Attack (+2 flank): [roll0]

stack
2012-01-15, 01:38 PM
"Stay on the other, Abigail. We can handle this one." Bors calls out as he assaults the half-orc with hammer (and bear). Honey seems to almost smile between bites and snarls, enjoying the action.

Honey
bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]

claw 1 [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw 2 [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Bors
[roll6] w/ PA
damage [roll7]

ride [roll8]

Bhaakon
2012-01-15, 07:45 PM
One of Honey's claws catch the half-orcs leg while he attacks, ruining his balance enough to allow to Lyle's shield to deflect the greataxe and slam into the ravening berserker's tusked maw. Reeling, the stunned enemy staggers back a half step--just enough to avoid Abigail's greatsword and Bors' earthbreaker as they converge where he once stood.

Skittles's horsechopper cuts a deadly arc, burying itself deep in the spellcaster's skull. The ratkin plants a foot on the corpse to wrench the weapon free, and spins to face the remaining opponent.

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/campattack5.jpg

stack
2012-01-15, 10:24 PM
"Lyle, step back!" As soon as his fellow warrior is clear, Bors and Honey surge forward, laying into their battered foe.

Waiting for Lyle to get clear, 5' step to N/O-8/9

bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]

claw 1 [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw 2 [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Bors
attack [roll6]
damage [roll7]

TurtleKing
2012-01-15, 11:43 PM
And another bites the dust. Oh...he still up. Not for long. With a sweep of the horsechopper Skittles attempts to put the frothing half orc down after repositioning.

5ft step back to P5.
Attack: [roll]1d20+5[roll]
Crit confirm: [roll0]
Crit Damage: [roll2]

Kon Lesh
2012-01-16, 12:16 AM
"Oh, No. He is dead!" Lyle will not run from the half-orc. But, noticing that it would be stupid to interrupt a bear from attacking its prey, Lyle moves further down to give him room. A swing of his shield will hopefully end this.

5ft step to O7
fighting defensively with combat expertise
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2012-01-16, 01:11 AM
Skittles spins and strikes the half-orc, the momentum carrying his horsechopper clean through the berserker's corded neck as Bors's earthbreaker hammers down on his clavicle with a sickening thud.

With both opponents dead, silence settles on the clearing, broken only by the crackle of the cooking fire and occasional whinny of the hobbled horses.

A search of the bodies reveals the equipment listed below, as well as the Half-elf's journal. The following excerpts catch your eye:

13 days ago: The last one died tonight, finally. Can't believe how long she held out against the rack, it was impossible to sleep through the screams every night. I know that he only wants the strongest ones for his experiments, but isn't there a better way?

12 days ago: Kane dispatched us this morning. Said he'd have gone himself, but he had some business in Tieup. He gave me instructions on how to use the wand, but clerical magic isn't my specialty. I just stuck in my belt, next to the identification wand I picked up last week, and nodded like an idiot. Hope I don't burn the thing out before I reach the tower, or Albeck will have my hide--literally. When I make it, though, maybe I'll have finally earned that cloak--gods know babysitting Nearl is enough of a final exam. Speaking of which, I copied the map to the tower in here in case that idiot loses the original (a rough sketch is included, indicating a spot deep in the Longmoors, near the mouth of the western-most river channel.)

3 days ago: Just as I suspected, that poltroon let the map get wet while fording a creek. I'd kill him myself, but I can't load our 'passengers' on their horses alone. The copy I made shows where we're going, but doesn't detail the path through Aeldwood; we must have backtracked twice as much as we've advanced over the last few days, but we're making progress at last. I think I'm getting a hang of the wand, but it's hard to tell whether the casting has worked or not. Good thing I picked up that book before we left Laern. All I can do it use it twice day and keep a nose out for any putrefaction.

@Abigail
You recognize the name "Albeck" from your time with the necromancer who made you what you are today. Perhaps a colleague or former apprentice, you're not sure. You never met him, but you killer kept a correspondence and spoke of him often during the brief period between your 'rebirth' and escape. (ooc note: if you want to name the necro who turned you undead, now is the time. I'm fine doing it, but I figured that I'd give you the opportunity first).

XP, Loot
500 xp each

2x heavy horse trained for riding w/ full tack (bridle, saddle, saddle bags, etc.)
2x light horse trained for combat w/ full tack

1 MW great axe
1 MW heavy steel shield
1 MW short sword
1 MW composite longbow, mighty +2 damage (that's extra STR damage, not enhancement bonus, just to be clear)
40 arrows
10 days trail rations
1 hide armor
1 MW chain shirt, mithral
1 dog-eared copy of Magic for Mundanes: The Commoner's Guide to Everyday Enchantments and Objects of Power, now with quick-reference cheat-sheet! (MW item for UMD, +2 bonus, 1 lb, 50 gp value)
1 spell book
2x wands
400 gp

TurtleKing
2012-01-16, 01:26 AM
Who wants what? Anything left can go into the bag. Skittles starts examining the weapons and armor trying to decide.

Frosty
2012-01-16, 03:23 AM
"I am uhh...woefully lacking in the area of archery, but this book looks somewhat useful. It would help me activate these wands we just got. If one of them is a wand of identification, then the other one must be a wand of Gentle Repose. I had heard the necromancer who...wronged...me, Kael, talk about the need for such a spell to keep materials...fresh."

stack
2012-01-16, 08:02 AM
Bors dismounts and helps inspect the site. "We should bury or burn there victims. Though it should be done off the road, who knows how many minions this monster has? Probably ought do these two as well, have to be decent even to such creatures as these. Skittles, care to keep watch?"

Once the deed is done, he turns to Abigail. "Seems you would be best suited to say a few words, if you could."

Afterwords, "I may be able to try my hand at the bow, if no one else wants it. Prefer to work up close, but there are times..." He thinks back to the familiars fleeing on the other side of the gorge, then to trying to throw a rock through a ceiling hole in the cave.

Frosty
2012-01-16, 01:26 PM
"The ONLY regret here is that we didn't capture them alive so that we may BEAT the information out of them." Some funeral words by a paladin eh?

"But, at least the journal and the map gives us the rough location of one necromancer, who may know more about Kael. We know our next target, and we're all about to become moderately wealthy from selling onyxs."

Kon Lesh
2012-01-16, 05:02 PM
"Finally. Good job everyone." Lyle gives a small smile and stands to his full height. He then promptly falls to the ground holding the log that the half-orc was sitting on. "But maybe a bit of healing first. I lost a bit of blood."

After a bit of healing (puppy dog eyes to Abigail), Lyle gets back up. "Yes, well, burying first. Well, second since we already looted. But it would be good to pay a necro a visit. And Kane. Anyone else think that this Kane is that familiar that was chasing us?" Lyle will help with the burying as he talks.

Frosty
2012-01-16, 06:07 PM
"The familiar we fought was named Kobb, not Kane." says Abigail as she concentrates, and from the grace of the divine comes the white-soothing energy of healing. She lays hands upon Lyle.

4 LoHs used.
[roll0]

Frosty
2012-01-16, 06:08 PM
Abigail sees the gaping wounds, and uses her last one as well to give Lyle more comfort.

41 LoH used.
[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-17, 02:27 AM
Faye sheepishly appears as you turn to disposing the corpses, and offers to help. She lets out a gasp as she approaches the bodies, which have been unceremoniously dumped on the ground like so much rubbish, "That's William the blacksmith, and Kaylee the baker. I don't know the others by name, but certainly by sight: they were all imprisoned with me in Laern."

TurtleKing
2012-01-17, 07:06 AM
Well the two transporting them are dead, dead, and dead. The half elf tasted my blade while the half orc lost his head. Oh do you realize the wolves will be after the bodies? Skittles finishes helping them out so can examine the arms and armors.

stack
2012-01-17, 07:53 AM
"I'm sorry Faye. Though it was to late to help any of them, we will see some measure of justice done.I believe we are resolved to pay this necromancer a visit? After we finish here, of course. It would be best to cover the signs of a struggle as much as possible. I would rather not have others of their ilk suspicious."

TurtleKing
2012-01-17, 09:19 AM
Skittles examining the various armors and shield. I could use the bow as faster on shooting yet hard to pull. If get stronger then should be fine. Now lets see... Skittles takes off his leather armor before putting on the chain shirt. Mmm. Flexible and shifts were needed. Doesn't keep from moving like I want. Do better at protecting. ... Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Skittles makes a grab at the armor pulling a portion from his body by an inch. OoOoOwWwWwW!!!

Skittles takes a few moments panting. Got...to...wear...a...shirt...under...that...armor .

Frosty
2012-01-17, 03:49 PM
At Faye's words, Abigail's face darkens more than it already has. "So the Familiars are kidnapping people, torturing and killing them, and then sending their corpses to fuel necromantic research. This cannot possibly happen without the queen's knowledge. She must leave this mortal coil..."

stack
2012-01-17, 06:32 PM
Bors lays a hand on Abigail's shoulder. "One thing at a time. We will know more after we deal with the necromancer. There may be much we don't know and overthrowing the entire kingdom may be a touch out of reach at the moment." He smiles reassuringly.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-17, 11:34 PM
"Interested in being a king Bors? Hehehe! But really, we are going to pay a visit to the necro. It will be a nice little visit and may provide some interesting information. Some tea and crumpets around a table, it will be a fun time." Lyle smiles. You have a feeling that he isn't smiling at the idea of tea time.

"And gods! Where is a city or town? We have a lot of stuff. Atleast we have some horses now. Can you decipher that diary and where this tower might be?"

Bhaakon
2012-01-18, 12:45 AM
The map in the journal indicates that the tower is near where the river meets the sea, a few days' travel to the southwest, but it's too crude to provide an exact position. You're either going to have to search blindly, or ask around in one of the fishing villages marked along the bank.

map
Red X: You are here
Red Arrow: Tower is here
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Towerlocation.jpg

Frosty
2012-01-18, 12:57 AM
"Let's go to the fiashing villages along the coast and ask around. The immediate question is, do we bring the corpses of the victims along or bury them here?"

Kon Lesh
2012-01-18, 01:20 AM
"Here. I would rather not walk into any villagers pulling a dozen people on a tarp. There are plenty of people still trying to kill us I don't want to freak out a bunch of villagers."

stack
2012-01-18, 08:04 AM
"Aye, we should lay them to rest here. It pains me, but I fear we cannot mark them properly either, it is better they not be found. We should memorize the spot, though. If we ever come through this we can come back, make a proper memorial."

Bhaakon
2012-01-18, 05:59 PM
Digging graves proves tiring work after long day on the road and without proper tools, but you get it done. You can't dig as deeply as you'd like, but you hope a thick layer of stones atop the bodies will discourage burrowing scavengers. The only marker is the low mound of disturbed dirt some distance from the path.

The work completed, you settle in for an uneventful night and awake refreshed on the morrow.

I assume that you're heading SW towards the fishing villages in the morning, just double checking before I post again

Frosty
2012-01-19, 01:44 PM
Abigail keeps vigil all night to make sure no scavengers disturb the burial site. Next: Fishing village #27!

Bhaakon
2012-01-20, 02:12 AM
The horses don't take well to Honey, but a combination of time, blinders, and having Bors ride downwind allows them to endure the bear's presence. It's a good thing, too, because traveling mounted speeds your trip greatly.

By noontime on the second day you find yourself crossing into the boggy precincts of the Longmoor. Your crude map has lead you to a rarely-used overland trail that's mushy, overgrown, and criss-crossed with stagnant waterways, but about as negotiable as one could expect in a sparsely-populated swamp. Even fainter paths branch off occasionally, but, lacking specific directions otherwise, you stick to the main trail.

A dense tule fog rises up out of the moors as evening creeps up on you. Just as you resign yourselves to making camp in the dank wetlands, Skittles spots a faint light glowing ahead. A ramshackle structure emerges from the mists, cheery firelight leaking through its single waxed-paper window. A shingle above the door shows a poorly scrawled bed (or perhaps a very ugly horse, it's hard to tell), and something resembling a stable is visible around back.

stack
2012-01-20, 08:11 AM
Bors scans the small building. A warm bed...but we would be marked. "As much as I would wish to stay, I fear the risk. We would certainly be remembered, the unlikely group we are. We ought ride on and spend another night on the cold, wet ground, if we can find any dry enough that we won't float away."

Honey sniffs the air. Food? Food smell? Hotgoodtastymeaty food? Go house?

Frosty
2012-01-20, 02:10 PM
Abigail thinks about this for a moment. Something doesn't sit well with her. "Skittles. Follow me, close by but not *too* close, and be unseen. I will go a bit closer for a better look. My hunch will be stronger when I am closer. The rest of you, follow from far back. If anyone is watching, hopefully only I will be seen."

Abigail wants to get close enough for a Detect Evil. Skittles is the stealthy backup.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-20, 03:56 PM
"I would also like to stay in the warmth. Have fun you two. And if you need help, just call." Lyle waves as the others go off. Then turning to Bors "Never before have I been wished that a place was good."

stack
2012-01-20, 04:02 PM
"Good or no, it won't matter if the familiars torture them looking for us. Any time spent here could only endanger them. We don't know how soon they will be missed or what means they have for tracking our movements. If they find the bodies they will likely question anyone nearby."

Bhaakon
2012-01-20, 05:30 PM
Abigail finds nothing amiss about the place.

Frosty
2012-01-20, 08:31 PM
Abigail then walks in a circle around the place. Does it look like a normal tavern or inn? Does there appear to be other travelers present?

Bhaakon
2012-01-21, 03:22 AM
It appears to be a normal, if rather shabby, example of a roadside inn. The main structure is crumbling wattle and daub, roughly 30' x 20' with a truncated upper story jammed in under a low thatched roof. It's situated on a little hummock, the first truly dry ground you've come across in hours. There are a four horses in the stable around back, and a rear door left open to ventilate the kitchen reveals a pot of greasy stew set to simmer. You hear muffled conversation filter out, but can't pick out any words.

Frosty
2012-01-21, 12:22 PM
The paladin heads back to meet up with Skittles. "Can you gather some information from the physical evidence? Leaving aside the direct sights and sounds, can you tell how likely it is to actually have an inn here? There's 4 horses here, right? Check if there are at least 4 groups of real hoof prints. Feel it and make sure that if you see them that the prints made a physical indentation. Heck, touch the horses themselves. Listen in on the conversations coming from inside. See if you can hear even one or two actual, intelligible words. Don't let the smell of any food inside fool you. Those can be faked too."

Abigail is basically asking Skittles to do ranger-y and Track-y stuff.

TurtleKing
2012-01-21, 08:24 PM
Alright. Only touching with my horsechopper though if possible. Skittles heads off towards the inn inspecting the tracks and even the horses to see if even real. Also gets close enough to hear the talking and make out a few words without being noticed.

I have favored terrain: urban which includes buildings so a +2 on revelant skill checks. Then if this involves favered enemy then another +2.
Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1] +2 more if favored enemy
Survival: [roll2] +2 more if favored enemy
Sense Motive: [roll3] +2 more if favored enemy
I also get +2 bonus to Initiative in favored terrain.

Bhaakon
2012-01-21, 09:04 PM
Skittle scuttles off to examine the building. He's not particularly quiet, but no one is looking. A few words drift through the door, "...first customer in weeks..." says a feminine voice, "...maybe it's time to move on..." responds a male. "...swamp's getting more dangerous, swear I saw a..." chimes in a third. Before Skittles can hear more, someone comes and closes the kitchen door.

It's easy enough to find tracks in the damp ground further from the inn, revealing that a single rider and a horse-drawn cart left some time ago (likely this morning or last night), and cart returned within the last few hours accompanied by three riders. All of the horses (which seem real enough) show signs of recent use. Three are light riders and the fourth an old draft animal. There's an empty two-wheel cart parked beside the stable.

TurtleKing
2012-01-21, 09:12 PM
Skittles with that little bit an nothing to suspect magic or trickery returns to the group. It all real. The horses and cart. A cart left either this morning or last night but came back with three light horses. Also have a draft animal in the stables. Seems thinking of moving on since first customers in their in weeks. Someone said thought they say something yet couldn't hear that part. Seems ok though might be better if Bors stays with Honey not in the stables so don't spook horses. So we stay? Might not have many rooms so may be sharing.

Frosty
2012-01-21, 10:47 PM
The undead warrioress nods, finally convinced that this isn't some illusion. "Great. Let's get back to the others and tell them what we've found, then decide whether or not we want to stay here for the night."

Kon Lesh
2012-01-21, 11:57 PM
After hearing the scouting report, Lyle says "I like the idea of a warm bed and a meal. And besides we might hear something interesting."

stack
2012-01-22, 01:45 PM
"I still say its risky. Honey would cause a stir anywhere and you, Skittles, are not the most common sight either. If you are set on going, I will stay with the cargo a bit off the road. All these extra weapons would raise questions of there own and the animals might be recognized. Odds are those we fought have stopped here many times."

Bhaakon
2012-01-22, 01:53 PM
"I'm not saying you're wrong to be careful, but how do you expect to visit a fishing village if you balk at a simple roadhouse?" Says Faye.

"And I wouldn't mind sleeping in a proper bed for the first time in four months," she adds wistfully.

Frosty
2012-01-22, 01:56 PM
Abigail nods. "Ms. Faye has a point. We're going to have to show ourselves in civilization sooner or later. Let's see if we can't hear some news from this place. As for weapons, this place is dangerous. They probably expect weapons with travelers."

Kon Lesh
2012-01-23, 10:37 AM
"Exactly, you can't be too careful with anathema running around and looting the countryside, need to protect ourselves. Hehehe. But come on. A warm bed and hot meal are calling our names. And if anything happens then we can deal with it." Lyle says as he pats Bors on the back.

stack
2012-01-23, 10:54 AM
Bors frowns, then shakes his head before shrugging. "Fine. A bed would be nice. Let's go."

Frosty
2012-01-23, 12:13 PM
The group moves forward, with Abigail leading the way because unless one looks *very* closely, she's the least scary-looking of the group to humans. They start stabling their mounts, although Abigail tries to to not get too close. "You hear that Honey? You might get some STEW soon."

Bhaakon
2012-01-23, 08:06 PM
The sound of horses draws attention from inside the inn.

"Oi Anson, I've got a bolt with your name on it if yer thinking of wrangling my Daisy again!" Shouts a short, middle aged woman as she kicks open the read door, crossbow leveled, before realizing her mistake. "Oh, customers. Why didn't you use the front? Stable, room, and meals, one gold a head. Er, is that a bear? I'm always telling you nature types, predators are five gold extra. And keep it away from the stables. Some moron tried to sneak a gator in her room last fall..." she carries on for some time, relishing the opportunity to hear herself talk, "....and I say 'well I don't care if its cold blooded, the only gators round here are in the stew pot... um, oh right. Ed, honey, help these customers with their horses."

Before long your horses and taken care of and your ushered into the common room (Bors is politely, but forcefully, asked to keep Honey outside, out of sight of the stables), and offered a cup of something warm and alcoholic and a serving of stew in a trencher.

You're not the only ones in the modest common room tonight, four others sit at a table on the other side of the fireplace, nursing drinks of their own. Their conversation halts as you enter; the room's too small to speak without being overheard.

Frosty
2012-01-24, 05:07 PM
Abigail pays her one gold, and sees about making sure that Honey also gets a bit of something warm to eat and drink. In the common room, she studies the other 4 customers, seeing if she recognizes any of them. If not, what does she notices about them?

stack
2012-01-24, 07:06 PM
Bors grumbles to himself as he settles Honey a safe distance from the horses, then sits heavily on a stool, taking what food is offered and generally keeping to himself, making an effort not to catch the eye of any of the other customers, answering any questions with monosyllables and grunts. If nothing of note happens he will turn in early after thanking the innkeeper kindly, if gruffly.

Bhaakon
2012-01-24, 07:40 PM
Abigail keeps in eye on the other customers, a favor all four of them return with differing levels of subtlety.

There are three men and a woman, all human. Two of the men have scale armor (removed, but close at hand) while the woman wears a shirt of chain, the fourth is unarmored. All are armed, though none are reaching for weapons or making any other threatening gestures. All show signs of recent travel: mud stains, the unmistakable whiff of horse sweat, and hints of fatigue from a along day the saddle.

Perception check, DC 15
Though all their other clothes and equipment are sweat-stained, crumpled, and mud spattered, the larger of the two armored men is wearing a freshly cleaned shirt.

Frosty
2012-01-24, 08:20 PM
Perception: [roll0]

stack
2012-01-24, 09:27 PM
Bors notes the other guest's gear in passing, but makes no note of it. Must have packed an extra shirt. Not a bad idea.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-24, 11:55 PM
Lyle pays the money. He then sits at the table with the others. He begins to eat without saying anything. Then half way through the meal Lyle raises his head and claps his hand. "Paprika! That is what I was trying to think of! Make it into some steaks and then pat paprika on the meat. It would be quite nice. A bit of spice would be a nice kick with the meat." Lyle then nods his head and it is obvious that he is thinking about other gator recipes.

Bhaakon
2012-01-24, 11:59 PM
Lyle's outburst shakes some of the uncomfortable silence from the room, and the woman at the other table produces a pair of dice seemingly out of thin air. "Care to throw the bones, mates? Me and the boys are flush at the moment, so no worries there," she smiles as she fishes a hefty money pouch from her bag and sets it on the table.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-25, 12:26 AM
Might be fun but are those loaded? Need to check them.

"Good dice, mind if I take a look at them?" Lyle holds out his hand for the dice. Lyle will then take a look at the dice, looking for imperfections.

Perception check to see if they are loaded dice [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-25, 01:47 AM
"Do I look like a common crook? Aye, aye, perhaps, but these knuckles are right as my casting hand." She tosses the dice over to Lyle for inspection, and he finds nothing amiss.

Frosty
2012-01-25, 02:09 AM
Abigail sighs inwardly. Weren't they supposed to keep a somewhat low profile? Well, she can keep an eye on things. Sipping on some water (which she of course doesn't need) and sitting next to Bors, she watches with mild interest.

stack
2012-01-25, 07:55 AM
This will end well. At least much of our wealth is in equipment, not coin. Just have to stop him before be barters that away as well.

Bors leans back, declining participation.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-25, 10:47 AM
"Last time I saw a money bag that big with bones next to it was with a rogue that had most of my friends' coins. No not these guys, it was before I met any of them. Anyway, the bones eventually broke open and there was a weight inside. HEHEHE...we chased him but he left behind the bag so everything was alright." Lyle shakes his head for a moment.

"But you can never be too careful. They do look good. I wouldn't mind throwing them a few times." Lyle puts the dice on the table, then takes out his coin bag and looks in it. "Mmmm...But if you're as lucky as you are pretty then mine might be empty in no time." Lyle says with a smile on his face.

Lyle will play until he losses 40gp ("I'm out of money.") or 2 hours pass ("Been a long day and I'm tired.")

Bhaakon
2012-01-25, 04:30 PM
"Yeah, mate, you can never be too careful." Says the woman, "how about we start slow, 5 gold on the first roll." Not waiting for Lyle to agree, she tosses the dice.

I'm don't really know anything about dice games, so I'll us a simple highest wins/tie doubles down and rolls again format

[roll0]

She continues, or, rather, never stops talking, "So what brings you out to the arse end of nowhere? You aren't looking like one of the dirt farmers cracked enough to live out here."

Kon Lesh
2012-01-25, 11:29 PM
[roll0]

"Oh, not much. Came from the northern side of the continent but it was a bit boring. Too...civilized. Some people have too much authority and tried telling me how I had to live my life. I wanted somewhere where I could be my own man. But I'm still a bit trapped. I was a cook up there and I still can't really get cooking out of my mind when I hear something interesting. Did you know that pig is really good with a tomato sauce with spices added? It is really good. So anyway, just starting walking in a direction and eventually got here. And will just keep on going until...well I don't know...I'll stop moving when I'm dead or found somewhere to build a house. What about you? Where you from? What you doing here for?"

"Oh, yeah I like these dice!"

Frosty
2012-01-25, 11:55 PM
It seems like Lyle is doing quite well thus far, both talking and gambling. Abigail sees no need to intervene for now.

stack
2012-01-26, 08:56 AM
Bors smiles to himself as Lyle shows an unaccustomed gregariousness. I guess we haven't spent much time just having fun, it has been all fighting, running, and occasional sleeping since we went out that first time together. Maybe I was wrong about coming here.

TurtleKing
2012-01-26, 09:12 AM
Skittles after paying and eating watches the other group especially the "caster". Skittles frankly stares at the caster almost to exclusion of everything else. Since his weapons are large he left them with the rest of the gear. Since they aren't available he just runs his tongue along his teeth.

Assuming the weapons are at least along the wall or some such.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-26, 02:39 PM
Second die roll while waiting for response
[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-26, 04:15 PM
@skittles
When I said "casting hand" I meant for casting dice, not spells. If there are spellcasters among the group, skittles can't yet tell.

The weapons are within reach.

"Oh, transport and acquisitions. You wouldn't know it, but a surprising amount of merchandise makes its way through here because of the port," the woman says idly as she tosses the bones once more. "Still a bit early in the season, though."

[roll0]

"Ch, what say we up the wager, 10 gold a toss?"

Kon Lesh
2012-01-26, 11:52 PM
"Raising the stack huh? Alright sounds like fun, we are now at 10! A port? There is a port nearby? where is it? And what is it like? I am really looking forward to getting in bed tonight but if there is somewhere to maybe get a bit of work and sleep for a few days outside of this swamp would be wonderful. Any more night in that swamp would drive me crazy; No insult! I love you for having this place here! And the food is wonderful!" As Lyle calls to the hostess.

"But back to the game. Come on. Give me some sixes!"As Lyle rolls the dice.

[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 02:11 AM
The woman frowns at Lyle's latest roll, and reaches for the dice. "Yeah nearby, aren't you going there? Not much else around here but mud and hicks. It's where they move the goods from ocean ships to river barges. Oh, and tax it... most of it, anyway." She smiles broadly at that last bit and tosses. The human without armor frowns and shoots her a troubled look, which she ignores.

[roll0]

She shoves over a third stack of coins, her purse looking a bit slim. "What's that, 20 total? How bout we go double or nothing on the whole pot."

Kon Lesh
2012-01-27, 02:26 AM
"So either I get forty or I get nothing? Hehehe, sounds like fun. Ok, here it goes for all the money." Lyle gives one last roll of the dice.

[roll0]

"Agh, bad roll. Lady luck might be on your side this time."

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 05:22 AM
This time the woman cuts the chitchat and makes her toss with some seriousness.

[roll0]

A smile breaks out on her face as the tumbling cubes come to a rest. "Heh, knew Fenix wouldn't abandon me." She says as she scoops the coins back into her purse.

"Well, we'd better be heading to bed. Urgent business tomorrow, and we wouldn't want to reach port after sun up. always get the best prices just before dawn." She adds with a wink. The man sitting across from her opens his mouth as if to protest, but she shuts him up with a swift boot heel to his toes.

stack
2012-01-27, 08:10 AM
Hmrrph, smugglers from the sounds of it. Ah well, not in a position to do anything about it anyhow. The law doesn't seem so lawful these days and I'm too tired to figure out whether or not they are decent folks. Time for bed.

Frosty
2012-01-27, 12:53 PM
Abigail doesn't get tired, but she doesn't object to having a room to groom herself and clean up. The swamp makes her death-stench almost irrelevant!

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 07:04 PM
You head up to your rooms and take a well-deserved rest, the sleepless paladin watching over you as you enjoy a proper bed for the first time in what feels like forever.

Hours before dawn, Abigail hears talking and banging from across the hall, the sounds of the the other group waking and preparing to leave. Through the commotion of bags being packed and armor being strapped in place, she hears the regular cadence of chanting, a spell, prayer, or even just a mumbled song, but no obvious effects.

Frosty
2012-01-27, 08:17 PM
Even though she doesn't think that anything will happen, Abigail is on guard. Assuming the other group is leaving, she says a "good morning" to them in the hallway. Abigail herself is already armed and armored up, in case the other group is actually trying to rob the PCs.

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 08:35 PM
"Be seeing you," says the woman. The other mumble something or ignore Abigail completely.

As the morning dawns, you wake to find four horses and the wagon gone, along with the other guests. The innkeeper serves up a sort of spiced gruel and some smoked, salted fish, with a heaping side of gossip.

Frosty
2012-01-27, 08:36 PM
Actually, before they go, since Abigail can see theyr'e all clustered in the hallway, she uses her hunch to see if any of them are Evil.

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 09:38 PM
Abigail doesn't sense anything evil about them.

I'd point out that detect evil was nerfed a touch in PF. An evil NPC who isn't a cleric has to be over level 5 to register. Don't read too much into that disclaimer.

stack
2012-01-27, 11:34 PM
Bors rises early to feed Honey, then gladly partakes of the proffered breakfast. After thanking the innkeeper kindly, he saddles up to head back down the road with the others.

Not had a proper bed since Tieup. It was nice while it lasted. Maybe someday...

Why Honey not get to play with horsies? Honey play nice.

Frosty
2012-01-28, 03:32 AM
Abigail will take her share of the food as to not arouse suspicion, but afterward shares it with the others, including Honey. "Shall we head out then?"

stack
2012-01-28, 10:31 AM
"The miles won't walk themselves. I would have us reach our end destination before those we met on the road are missed." He swings a leg over Honey and points him down the road.

Kon Lesh
2012-01-28, 12:43 PM
Lyle awakens eventually, but he is happy and active when he does. "Morning Gents! It was a nice rest. One I ope to have again in not too long." Lyle partakes in the breakfast every so often wondering what spices are on the food or how the food was cooked.

Later outside "Yeah, we should get going. We are far enough behind them if they left early in the morning. Man, that women got lucky on the last roll..." Then Lyle just thinks about the game.

Frosty
2012-01-28, 01:05 PM
"Well, I guess we could just follow their tracks, if they're going to the same villages we are..."

Bhaakon
2012-01-28, 05:15 PM
You follow the road east, the tracks of the other inn patrons standing out even to the untrained eye on the muddy dirt track. After an hour or so of walking, you begin to detect the smell of cooking fires on the air--a sure sign of a nearby settlement. Unfortunately, the tracks of the smugglers suddenly diverge from the main trail, instead veering off on a less traveled side path.

stack
2012-01-28, 05:24 PM
Bors looks at the divergent tracks. "Our business runs through the town, not with last night's company. Even if Lyle thinks he can win back his money. I say we press on for the coast. It's too early to stop again already."