PDA

View Full Version : joke miniature?

Kol Korran
2011-08-29, 04:39 AM
not related to my other more serious thread, one of my players just bought a bunch of miniatures for a cheap cheap price, but he didn't exactly know what he got inside.
most were quite awesome, but one was... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

(sorry for the low quality)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk295/meir_8/deadvillager2.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk295/meir_8/deadvillager1.jpg

it's called "Dead villager". is this some kind of a joke? we laughed at it, but were also a bit pissed. someone actually mass produced these things? they took money for this? i forgot to look if it was WoTC or another company, but... yeah.

of course, now i'm thinking of creating a horrifiyng monster who's form is a crumpled dead villager. :smallbiggrin:

Jair Barik
2011-08-29, 05:18 AM
I think (if I remember correctly) that is a WotC D&D mini (4e). It is to represent either a corpse or a creature that is a type of undead (I think) that plays dead then jumps its prey.

In the same vein the mimic mini and hoarscarab minis are not in anyway monstrous so you can use them as either the monster or what the monster is pretending to be.

Yora
2011-08-29, 05:22 AM
I think it would come in handy when you have to drag a body or unconscious person through an encounter.

Elyssian
2011-08-29, 09:20 AM
Nice, better than the scarabs we got in a lot of random miniatures, at first we thought the mini got ripped off the base:smallbiggrin:

Wraith
2011-08-29, 11:17 AM
As a seasoned veteran of Mordheim, Blood Bowl and Necromunda - and thus also of having to repeatedly repaint my precious, cherished models after having to lay them down and flip them over in order to depict their various states of health - I have to say that I applaud the concept of cheap bulk models for 'dead people'. :smallsmile:

I just wish I knew where he got them from 5 years ago, before I had to repaint my entire 200+ model collection! :smalltongue:

Savannah
2011-08-29, 11:39 AM
...I have a sudden urge to play a narcoleptic rogue...

Swordguy
2011-08-29, 01:35 PM
it's called "Dead villager". is this some kind of a joke? we laughed at it, but were also a bit pissed. someone actually mass produced these things? they took money for this? i forgot to look if it was WoTC or another company, but... yeah.

Historical miniatures gamers have been using massed-produced casualty counters for wargamers for decades. They look better on the tabletop than tipping (potentially fragile) miniatures over, or pulling minis out of a movement tray have having a big, empty space there on an otherwise beautiful game board.

It's no big deal.

Dust
2011-08-29, 01:53 PM
I love these things, and actually went out and bought fifty-ish for a massive village-on-fire battle.
The card that comes with suggests using it as a trap-esque tile, a spot of difficult terrain that reaches out and grabs the legs of your PCs if they move adjacent, all zombie style.

dsmiles
2011-08-29, 06:12 PM
That's pretty seriously awesome.

QuidEst
2011-08-29, 06:35 PM
...I have a sudden urge to play a narcoleptic rogue...

Bonus damage for Sleep Attacks?

navar100
2011-08-29, 06:40 PM
I know people who are very much into miniature wargaming. They have dead people figurines to represent kills within a troop. Larger ones are "fives".

Kol Korran
2011-08-30, 06:42 AM
... :smalltongue: so these miniatures have actual use? well, i'll be...

you live and learn, live and learn.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-31, 06:48 AM
A while back my friend opened a pack of minis that contained a pig farmer with a pig under his arm. Best. Mini. Ever. Normal D&D minis are awful for showing villagers (except maybe a healer mini or something, or certain clerics)--they are all wielding deadly weapons! That pig farmer, and similarly the slave with his arms manacled, have been godsends.

If any company does a Commoner Multi-Pack or something with all different commoners and animals and such, I will be ALL over that.

BiblioRook
2011-09-02, 03:35 PM
A while back my friend opened a pack of minis that contained a pig farmer with a pig under his arm. Best. Mini. Ever. Normal D&D minis are awful for showing villagers (except maybe a healer mini or something, or certain clerics)--they are all wielding deadly weapons! That pig farmer, and similarly the slave with his arms manacled, have been godsends.

If any company does a Commoner Multi-Pack or something with all different commoners and animals and such, I will be ALL over that.

I've always thought the drunkerd (http://www.tritex-games.co.uk/image.php?url=products_minatures_dd/TavernBrawler.jpg&width=300) mini was pretty amusing too

EvilDM
2011-09-02, 03:51 PM
Heck I'd design an entire adventure around that miniature.

Nice find.

Steward
2011-09-02, 04:26 PM
I wish someone would make a "Backup Mayor" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332995&postcount=90) miniature.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-02, 04:34 PM
I've always thought the drunkerd (http://www.tritex-games.co.uk/image.php?url=products_minatures_dd/TavernBrawler.jpg&width=300) mini was pretty amusing too
The drunkard is actually the fig for my character of the moment.
On topic, yeah, wargames, RPG mechanical ancestor, have used wreck markers and other means of marking dead units for quite a while. Having something similar for D&D makes sense.

Swordguy
2011-09-02, 08:14 PM

Reaper Miniatures makes several 3-packs of townsfolk/commoners/bar folk/strumpets/children/etc. They'll run about about $10 each, as I recall, since they're metal, not plastic.