PDA

View Full Version : Meet the not-necessarily Linear Guild:(3.5)

SillyBee
2011-08-29, 10:18 AM
Tidings all,

This time I'm looking for assistance in building up a 'mirror' match against my players.

I'm running a level 12 game that consists of:
Changeling Barbarian/Warshaper
Human Warlock/Binder/HF Warlock
Dwarf Cleric
Human Ranger/Scout(Swift Hunter)
Orc Barbarian/Berserker(3.0 class)

As you can see it is a non caster oriented party(for the most part). They are a bit kick in the door and not overly investigative or anything like that. I would like to present a fun challenge to them in having to face off against a party of their foils. In other words a party comprised of classes that have similar roles as the characters but still differ. Much like here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html)

Any suggestions for classes/builds/feats etc?

Kaje
2011-08-29, 10:31 AM
Changeling Barbarian/Warshaper - Shifter Warblade/Bloodclaw Master

Human Warlock/Binder/HF Warlock - Paladin of Tyranny/Sorcerer/Spellwarp Sniper

Dwarf Cleric - Gnome Druid

Human Ranger/Scout(Swift Hunter) - ?

Orc Barbarian/Berserker(3.0 class) - Minotaur of Krynn Barbarian/ Totemist/Totem Rager

Kol Korran
2011-08-29, 10:31 AM
could you tell us a bit about any of the following:
- favorites tactics of your team? as individuals and together?
- a bit about their personalities? (this if they are going to interact with them more than just fight)
- perhaps a short bio about your team's adventures or accomplishments? (it would be awesome if the opposing tema had some role in their succeses or failures)

i'm kinda crappy at builds, especially at this level, but i'll try to think of something

Grendus
2011-08-29, 11:13 AM
Changeling Barbarian/Warshaper - Human Wildshape Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 7. The Changeling focuses on augmenting his own form for battle, his evil twin focuses on doing the same by taking other forms.

Human Warlock/Binder/HF Warlock - Tiefling Warmage 1/Evoker 3/Ultimate Magus 7. The hellfire warlock has infinite, moderate blasting powers. The Ultimate Magus has finite, powerful blasting powers. Don't go overboard, I'd suggest not using Practiced Spellcaster on the UM so he ends up with a more evenly distributed casting level unless your group is good at optimization (also a reason why I used Tiefling instead of Lesser Tiefling, for the lost CL).

Dwarf Cleric - Drow Factotem 5/Ur Priest 5. Ur Priest is the natural anti-cleric. Drow makes sure that they're about evenly matched on divine power, and the clerics domains and higher spells per day should give him the edge, especially since the Drow would be fairly MAD.

Human Ranger/Scout (Swift Hunter) - Human Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 9 (Daring Outlaw). A fairly even comparison, both T4 builds using the gestalt feats. Feel free to make it a race that the Ranger/Scout chose as a favored enemy for some Belkar flavored rivalry.

Orc Barbarian/Berserker(3.0 class) - Elf Swordsage 10/Eternal Blade 2. I can't find the Berserker, the only two berserker classes I can find are the Runescarred Berserker and the Frenzied Berserker, but it sounds like the kind of guy who fights with more passion and rage than finesse. Swordsage, a disciplined, pseudo-supernatural skirmisher is the natural counterpoint, and eternal blade cranks that flavor up to 11.

Greenish
2011-08-29, 11:42 AM
Elf Swordsage 10/Eternal Blade 2.Can't qualify for EB as a swordsage 10.

Berserker is in Deities and Demigods, if my memory serves.

SillyBee
2011-08-29, 02:02 PM
could you tell us a bit about any of the following:
- favorites tactics of your team? as individuals and together?
- a bit about their personalities? (this if they are going to interact with them more than just fight)
- perhaps a short bio about your team's adventures or accomplishments? (it would be awesome if the opposing team had some role in their successes or failures)

i'm kinda crappy at builds, especially at this level, but i'll try to think of something

1. Pretty obvious tactics. Basically have two ranged combatants and 3 melee combatants. The Barb/serker and Changeling run in first, the dwarf buffs a couple of rounds and the Warlock bampf's around sniping while the Swift hunter runs around sniping. They are relatively optimized, and have a tremendous damage output.
2. I can handle the rp opportunities, I believe.
3. They're pretty much the classic adventuring group. They have a BBEG in the shadows and wander around righting wrongs and causing drama.

Can't qualify for EB as a swordsage 10.

Berserker is in Deities and Demigods, if my memory serves.

That is correct.

Crow
2011-08-29, 02:41 PM
Ah....whoops.

I thought this was going to be some LGBitP thing, lol.

Eldariel
2011-08-29, 03:04 PM
Changeling Barbarian/Warshaper - Human Wildshape Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 7. The Changeling focuses on augmenting his own form for battle, his evil twin focuses on doing the same by taking other forms.

Human Warlock/Binder/HF Warlock - Tiefling Warmage 1/Evoker 3/Ultimate Magus 7. The hellfire warlock has infinite, moderate blasting powers. The Ultimate Magus has finite, powerful blasting powers. Don't go overboard, I'd suggest not using Practiced Spellcaster on the UM so he ends up with a more evenly distributed casting level unless your group is good at optimization (also a reason why I used Tiefling instead of Lesser Tiefling, for the lost CL).

Dwarf Cleric - Drow Factotem 5/Ur Priest 5. Ur Priest is the natural anti-cleric. Drow makes sure that they're about evenly matched on divine power, and the clerics domains and higher spells per day should give him the edge, especially since the Drow would be fairly MAD.

Human Ranger/Scout (Swift Hunter) - Human Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 9 (Daring Outlaw). A fairly even comparison, both T4 builds using the gestalt feats. Feel free to make it a race that the Ranger/Scout chose as a favored enemy for some Belkar flavored rivalry.

Orc Barbarian/Berserker(3.0 class) - Elf Swordsage 10/Eternal Blade 2. I can't find the Berserker, the only two berserker classes I can find are the Runescarred Berserker and the Frenzied Berserker, but it sounds like the kind of guy who fights with more passion and rage than finesse. Swordsage, a disciplined, pseudo-supernatural skirmisher is the natural counterpoint, and eternal blade cranks that flavor up to 11.

I agree with most of these though:
-I'd prioritise Rogue in the Daring Outlaw build. It's more a mirror of Swift Hunter (which is half skill monkey half combatant) than Swashbuckler, which is far less of a skill monkey. Rogue also has the city-dweller tint to it while Ranger/Scout are wilderness-types so that works out pretty well.
- Against the Berserker, Elf is the obvious choice but I'd probably go Warblade/Eternal Blade focusing on Diamond Mind. Diamond Mind is the natural opposite of Barbarian (which is pretty much Tiger Claw), built around concentration and careful assessment of your opponent. Alternatively, a Setting Sun-focused straight Swordsage could work. Finally, a Fighter/Weapon Master [Sword & Fist] could work if ToB is not on the table and something Psionic is naturally opposed to Barbarian (Psionics is about mental control, Barbarian is about lack there-of) so Psychic Warrior is another approach here. Just Psychic Warrior 6/Slayer 6 or so. Or even Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 10 with Tashalatora if looking for that angle.

Hazzardevil
2011-08-29, 04:23 PM
I would like to suggest rather than a Daring Outlaw for the swift Hunter, a Ascetic Stalker/Rogue.
Take 3 levels of Ninja and 9 levels of Monk, then take Ascetic Stalker and Ascetic Rogue for Ki pool and sudden strike, throw on Full BAB for Monk and take feats for two-weapon fighting with hand crossbows and you have something reasnably competent at melee and ranged combat which uses a similer combat style to Daring Outlaw, but the Player will be less likely to recignize it.

QuidEst
2011-08-29, 07:45 PM
I was just thinking that whatever you have to match their five, you should throw on a low-op Bard who's left wondering where his counterpart is. XP Provides a little comedy relief and lets you throw on a few bonuses to the team as well.

BlackestOfMages
2011-08-30, 09:08 AM
3. They're pretty much the classic adventuring group. They have a BBEG in the shadows and wander around righting wrongs and causing drama. - but thay can't be if they actually bother to right wrongs rather than beign the cause of them all :smalltongue: