PDA

View Full Version : at will lightning damage- How to

The Reverend
2011-08-29, 03:11 PM
Besides the lightning weapon, what are some other items that grant an at will to change damage to lightning damag?

Im doing the mark of storms trick with polearm momentum on a iron soul monk. Working really well too, but I want a dynamic weapon enchanted superior implement to take advantage of weapon feat support and still want to take advantage of push 2 ending prone every time I hit in a close burst 4. Im minoring in controller.

Thanks

Crasical
2011-08-29, 04:44 PM
Its Elemental: A Guide to Damage Types (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22838913/Its_Elemental:_A_Guide_to_Damage_Types)

Lightning Strike Bow (Dr386; Long Bow, Short Bow - Level 10+) - Free At-Will Lightning turns all damage to Lightning
Lightning Weapon (PHB; Any - Level 5+) - Can convert all damage dealt to Lightning, also Daily Free Lightning power to deal extra Lightning
Thunderbolt Weapon (AV; Any ranged - Level 13+) - Daily Free Lightning to make an RBA, At-Will to make all damage dealt Lightning
Weapon of Myrdoon`s Shard (Dr364; Spear - Level 4+) - Daily Free Lightning pushes and deals Lightning splash, At-Will Standard adds 1 to reach and deals all Lightning

Here's what I found.

EDIT:

Forked Lightning Ki Focus (PsP; Ki Focus - Level 9+) - At-Will turns damage dealt to Lightning, Daily Free Lightning/Teleportation lets you Teleport+MBA

Mando Knight
2011-08-29, 04:57 PM
None of those do what he's looking for (make an attack deal elemental damage at-will without using a weapon/implement enchantment)... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, since altering attack element is kinda one of the things that WotC has restricted to such items.

The combo in general doesn't work, though. I assume you're using a Lancing Dagger as the base weapon? When it's changed into a polearm via the Dynamic enchantment, it no longer functions as a Lancing Dagger, thus losing all of the Lancing Dagger's properties.

Crasical
2011-08-29, 05:08 PM
None of those do what he's looking for (make an attack deal elemental damage at-will without using a weapon/implement enchantment)... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, since altering attack element is kinda one of the things that WotC has restricted to such items.

....Oooooh. I just read the first paragraph and copypasted everything on the list that at-will let you change your damage type to Lightning. Yeah, I don't think there are any feats or armors that let you do this.

Kurald Galain
2011-08-29, 06:00 PM
Lightning Whetstone, perhaps?

Zaq
2011-08-29, 06:48 PM
A couple paragon paths can help with that, I believe.

Also, if you're paragon level and a Stormsoul genasi, there's a feat that adds 2 lightning damage to every melee attack you make.

Crasical
2011-08-29, 07:06 PM
... Question about the handbook I linked. If a character has a Death Strike Ki focus, Pact Initiate, and Spirit Venom, does every attack they make do Necrotic/Poison damage?

Sol
2011-08-29, 07:07 PM
A couple paragon paths can help with that, I believe.

Also, if you're paragon level and a Stormsoul genasi, there's a feat that adds 2 lightning damage to every melee attack you make.

Monks don't really make very many melee attacks. Their powers are all implement powers.

Zaq
2011-08-29, 07:28 PM
Monks don't really make very many melee attacks. Their powers are all implement powers.

Melee, not weapon. Many monk powers (I don't know what percent, since I've never played one) have a range of "melee touch," don't they?

Hidden Sanity
2011-08-29, 10:14 PM
What level do you want this by?
Is your multiclass open so you can MC... say... Swordmage?

The Reverend
2011-08-30, 09:23 AM
Yes my multiclass can be open, currently lvl 9 I have two builds right now. One is a lightning spear monk mc fighter with mark of storm and polearm momentum feats,rushing cleats, and gauntlets of the ram. So every hit I make can end with the enemy pushed 3 and prone, close burst 2 and 3 makes me a good assistant controller.

My other build is also controllerish but I use a whistling mindwarp staff. This turns my close burst 2 into a close burst 4 and does a daily effect that enables a stacking series of disablements each time I hit. Deafened » slowed» deafened and dazed » deafened slowed and stunned. This goes on for the entire encounter, save ends obviously. Since it is thunder type damage I believe:smallannoyed: a paragon feat would further increase the size of my now thunder close blast to size 5 or 6. I could be reaching with that last part. And the mindwarp staff adds 2 extra psychic damage to each of my flurry of blows. Frankly I would drop the spear thing entirely but staffs dont work with polearm momentum. Ending a enemy deafened slowed stunned and prone with psychic lock unable to shift or make opportunity attacks at the foot of our barbarian would just be excellent. thanks for the help folks.

EDIT. Yes some monk powers are melee touch about a third of mine are, the rest are close blast. Something to note flurry of blows requires no roll and does psionic damage, with psionic lock feat that's a free -2 debuff to an enemy and at higher levels with item and feat support that can be 12-15 enemies all locked.

Dbl edit-- I'm pretty sure my intelligence is not high enough to MC into swordmage, it is without a doubt my dump stat.

The_Snark
2011-08-30, 12:24 PM
Something to note flurry of blows requires no roll and does psionic damage, with psionic lock feat that's a free -2 debuff to an enemy and at higher levels with item and feat support that can be 12-15 enemies all locked.

Flurry of Blows doesn't deal psychic damage. It has the psionic keyword, which sounds similar but isn't the same thing at all; it's a power source rather than a damage type. The damage on Flurry of Blows is untyped.

Hidden Sanity
2011-08-30, 03:03 PM
Eh, there's a swordmage paragon path that lets you tack on 1d4 of a choosen element off the list... not that useful without INT, though.

Lord Raziere
2011-08-30, 03:11 PM
bah, just turn lightning weapon into a Boon that enhances all your attacks. name it "lightning enchantment" and your done.

if you don't know what a Boon is, pick up Dungeon Masters Guide 2, it explains what they are;

The Reverend
2011-08-30, 03:20 PM
Fob not psychic, fart britches. Oh well using a ki focus club for that anyway to get precious plus 4 to damage on fob. I'll check out the boon as well. If the dm will allow it.

Zaq
2011-08-30, 07:46 PM
Eh, there's a swordmage paragon path that lets you tack on 1d4 of a choosen element off the list... not that useful without INT, though.

Soaring Blade is a Monk PP that does something very similar.

The Reverend
2011-08-31, 08:21 AM
I'll talk to my dm about the soaring blade thing. Only applies to melee attacks maybe I can convince him otherwise. At this point I still need to burn three feats to make this work, maybe I'll just burn a feat on bola and immobalize the group instead.