PDA

View Full Version : Online/Remote pen and paper tools?

Shinigami1567
2011-08-29, 03:20 PM
Hey guys I was wondering what kind of software was out there for playing a pen and paper RPG remotely (via webcam or whatever)?

Skype seems like it could be good enough, but surely there are better options/useful programs out there.

Thanks in advance!

SamBurke
2011-08-29, 03:24 PM
Hey guys I was wondering what kind of software was out there for playing a pen and paper RPG remotely (via webcam or whatever)?

Skype seems like it could be good enough, but surely there are better options/useful programs out there.

Thanks in advance!

Skype will work well, as long as the players and GM are doing a role-play based game, or you can cam the board (IE, point the camera down at the board). So you should be fine.

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 03:32 PM
I believe MapTools is the de facto ruler of the roost when it comes to running an online grid-based game. I can't vouch for it myself, but I've heard great things, and it's apparently quite easy to learn.

EccentricCircle
2011-08-29, 03:37 PM
I've generally just used skype.
When you have most of the players in one place with a board and one or two remote players watching over webcam it works fine.
This doesn't work as well for games where you want lots of people in different places playing. but I've played a few games like that (with no board) and it worked ok, but we weren't doing anything especially tactical.
the various map software are a nice idea but i've found that running a remote game is hard enough without trying to sort out everyone having the software and the map and all of that. so if you can do without then thats probably easier.

Shinigami1567
2011-08-29, 03:53 PM
I guess i was just thinking that it'd be tricky to have to say "move me X squares up" every round, on top of going "wait who is in square Y?" every time as well

Dr Bwaa
2011-08-29, 04:57 PM
I guess i was just thinking that it'd be tricky to have to say "move me X squares up" every round, on top of going "wait who is in square Y?" every time as well

Thus, OpenRPG (http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=getorpg). Can take a little* tinkering to set up fully on everyone's computers, but usually it's just a quick install and then you're good to go. You'll want to use vent or something alongside for voice chat, but it has text chat, multilayer map tools with different permissions for GM/Player/Viewer, fog of war, (programmable) dice rolling, etc... It's super nice and very intuitive.

*actually just a Little. I know what this phrase usually means, but I really do mean it's a quick setup even if you have to nudge something or other.

Breltar
2011-08-29, 05:16 PM
I believe MapTools is the de facto ruler of the roost when it comes to running an online grid-based game. I can't vouch for it myself, but I've heard great things, and it's apparently quite easy to learn.

This. I tried a variety of different tools like openrpg and even some ones I had to buy and Maptools has beaten them all, especially in the area of using some of the less popular rpg systems. I've used it for 4th and 3rd Edition D&D, 1st edition Warhammer RPG and plan on using it for my Sci Fi Gurps game.

I have even used it as a beta test format for my own tabletop warfare game and have contemplated using it for Full Thrust.

beyond reality
2011-08-29, 05:21 PM
Maptools is good for playing face-to-face too. I hook a laptop up to a big-screen TV and have it display the map for everyone to see. Much easier than roll-up maps.

Shinigami1567
2011-08-29, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll see what ends up working out for us.

Bluepaw
2011-08-29, 11:02 PM
Folks, check out Google Plus and its Hangouts feature. Multi-person video chat, all parties get all video feeds simultaneously (click on someone and they fill the center of the screen, everyone else is around the edges). Seems like the thing was practically designed for remote RPGs. For the maps...I'm experimenting now with the Drawings function on google docs. You can build a grid (with numbers & letters, etc), save it as a template, and make loads of copies, then pile it full of each map's materials. Tons of shapes and options...you might even be able to load in a graphic image. Not sure. But at the very least: google docs are now shared in real time, so if you all have one open, you can all edit simultaneously, or in turn...

My latest game is kicking off in about a week -- using this exact tech! As DM, the ability to build a bunch of maps in advance of likely places, but only share them with your players as they arrive on the scene, is very. nice.