PDA

View Full Version : All Warforged Party?

Gorfang113
2011-08-29, 04:23 PM
Is this viable? If so what do you need to succusfully pull it off? What classes are good for this? What should the party look out for?

Morph Bark
2011-08-29, 04:25 PM
Artificer, Warblade, Barbarian, Binder, Dragonfire Adept are all great ones. Bard and Crusader arguably have some good synergy as well apparently. (Crusader = excellent healer in this case.)

Non-daily-abilities-based classes work best since you do not need sleep anyway. Adventure 24/7!

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-29, 04:25 PM
It is super viable! Healing is done via arcane casters rather than divine, but such should be done via wands anyhow!:smalltongue: Otherwise, it's like playing any other party.

EDIT: My choice on classes would go War Weaver Wizard/Sorcerer, Crusader for the primary "tank" and combat healer, Factotum for skills, and either a Totemist or Druid.

deuxhero
2011-08-29, 04:42 PM
Remember that you have full healing in the Mournlands, unlike everyone else.

Essence_of_War
2011-08-29, 04:51 PM
Toss in an Incarnate and Totemist as well.

I have hilarious images of a Warforged Totemist trying ever so hard to be a magical beast. :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2011-08-29, 04:52 PM
Is this viable? If so what do you need to succusfully pull it off?

You need to refer to any human you meat as "Sam Whitwickey". In addition, your party needs to abuse alter self(or play shapeshifting classes!).

Greenish
2011-08-29, 04:55 PM
I have hilarious images of a Warforged Totemist trying ever so hard to be a magical beast. :smallamused:I've a warforged totemist in a PbP about to start. It's more about mimicking natural abilities with it's magical metal/stone/wood body, the same way warforged monks mold their unarmed attacks (and their bodies to heal) or juggernauts grow armour spikes out of their carapace.

NEO|Phyte
2011-08-29, 04:56 PM
Paladin with the racial sub levels works pretty good on healing, their LoH heals for full on 'forged. Also has the benefit of not requiring your party to stand around for 8 hours while the arcane casters do nothing so they can regain spells.

Cog
2011-08-29, 04:58 PM
Paladin with the racial sub levels works pretty good on healing, their LoH heals for full on 'forged. Also has the benefit of not requiring your party to stand around for 8 hours while the arcane casters do nothing so they can regain spells.
It's hidden away earlier in the book, but Warforged don't even need to take the sub levels to be able to use LoH at full power on constructs.

Keld Denar
2011-08-29, 05:20 PM
Needs more Landforged Walker. I'm a tree! Well, 48.7777777% tree...

Draz74
2011-08-29, 05:59 PM
Warforged: Artificer
Warforged Scout: Rogue / Conjurer / Unseen Seer / Arcane Trickster
Warforged: Shaper / Constructor
Warforged: Crusader / Fighter / Warforged Juggernaut

The four traditional party roles (with the Artificer in the traditional Cleric role), but all four of them can effectively heal Hit Point damage on the other three. Cute.

Inferno
2011-08-29, 06:14 PM
The four traditional party roles (with the Artificer in the traditional Cleric role), but all four of them can effectively heal Hit Point damage on the other three. Cute.

Sample party might want some reworking as Artificer will likely overshadow Rogue in non-sneak attacking Rogue related activities: trapfinding, skills, umd

Greenish
2011-08-29, 06:24 PM
Sample party might want some reworking as Artificer will likely overshadow Rogue in non-sneak attacking Rogue related activities: trapfinding, skills, umdThe rogue is mostly wizard. :smallamused:

Draz74
2011-08-29, 07:00 PM
Sample party might want some reworking as Artificer will likely overshadow Rogue in non-sneak attacking Rogue related activities: trapfinding, skills, umd

"Skills" in general? :smallconfused: I imagine my Rogue build will best the Artificer at scouting (Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen better than the Artificer or his Homonculi can), as well as social skills.

Besides, there's that whole "non-Sneak Attacking" caveat. Which is a silly thing to overlook, considering how much Sneak Attack damage my suggested build can pull off using the standard Unseen Seer trick of picking up Hunter's Eye (Ranger-only PHB2 Divination spell) with his Advanced Learning. Woot.

But if scouting skills, social skills, and lots of precision damage aren't enough to impress you,

The rogue is mostly wizard. :smallamused:

Indeed.

Zaq
2011-08-29, 07:02 PM
Needs more Landforged Walker. I'm a tree! Well, 48.7777777% tree...

So you're saying that you'd like to be a tree?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-29, 07:48 PM

Look, a lot of amazing things grow from trees... like bridges!

tonberrian
2011-08-29, 08:47 PM

Zaq thinks Keld Denar is a tree!

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-29, 10:33 PM
This thread needs more Bard with Words of Creation.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-29, 10:48 PM
What should the party look out for?

Rust monsters.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-29, 10:50 PM
For healing shaper psion is pretty viable...

RaggedAngel
2011-08-29, 11:54 PM
There are some fun things you can do if everyone's a Living Construct, having played in such a party before:

1. If you do have an arcane caster that needs rest, do it at the bottom of a lake or buried underground. You don't need to breath, so why bother with air?

2. Cover everything with poison. Just...just everything. Contact poison, injury poison, etc. If you have an Artificer/Wizard/Factotum in the party it doesn't even cost any resources.

3. Sprint everywhere.

4. Dust of Sneezing and Choking everywhere all the time, and before you ask, our DM did call the line at this one.

NNescio
2011-08-30, 01:02 AM
You need to refer to any human you meat as "Sam Whitwickey". In addition, your party needs to abuse alter self(or play shapeshifting classes!).

Warforged Druid. Wildshape technically does not change the creature type.

What's better than being a bear riding a bear shooting bears?

Why, Robobears! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Beast_Wars)

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-30, 01:18 AM
Stinking Cloud.

Inferno
2011-08-30, 05:20 AM
The rogue is mostly wizard. :smallamused:

So is the average artificer.

Morph Bark
2011-08-30, 05:25 AM

The warforged would need something to make him immune to nonlethal damage though.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-30, 06:56 AM
Three level dip in warforged juggernaut would handle that, but that would lock you in heavy armor forever. No, better to give him fasthealing somehow.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-30, 07:29 AM
The warforged would need something to make him immune to nonlethal damage though.

Oh right. So toss in the Improved Resiliency feat from RoE and you're good to go.

Person_Man
2011-08-30, 07:37 AM
There's no reason it wouldn't work. But from a metagame perspective, it's not a great idea. The best part of being a Warforged is having a bunch of immunities (poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion). If everyone in the party is immune to the same things, then the DM has no reason to ever use them. Thus your immunities never come into play, and you're basically just playing a race with a natural slam attack that has trouble with healing magic.

Lateral
2011-08-30, 10:31 AM
Warforged Shapers are quite good. Psions, unlike arcane casters, don't have ASF chances, so you don't have to burn a feat on Unarmored Body. In fact, taking Adamantine Body instead makes you quite durable at low levels; it's a pretty massive boon.

Psions are also based on INT, which means that unlike most divine casters, warforged psions don't have an ability penalty. Shapers also get Psionic Repair Damage, which is extremely efficient healing for Warforged. Usually, it's pretty worthless, but in a party full of Warforged, it means you can pretty much take care of all party healing.

subject42
2011-08-30, 11:07 AM
There's no reason it wouldn't work. But from a metagame perspective, it's not a great idea. The best part of being a Warforged is having a bunch of immunities (poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion). If everyone in the party is immune to the same things, then the DM has no reason to ever use them.

I agree with your point on a theoretical level, but I'd like to note that enough DMs use prepublished modules and adventure paths that it's entirely possible that the immunities will still come in to play now and then.

Volthawk
2011-08-30, 11:21 AM
There's no reason it wouldn't work. But from a metagame perspective, it's not a great idea. The best part of being a Warforged is having a bunch of immunities (poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion). If everyone in the party is immune to the same things, then the DM has no reason to ever use them. Thus your immunities never come into play, and you're basically just playing a race with a natural slam attack that has trouble with healing magic.

Well, you use those immunities to your advantage yourself. Immune to poison, so like someone said, you put poison on your body so things touching you (or things you touch) get poisoned. Immunity to being nauseated means you can use spells like Stinking Cloud without worrying about getting affected yourselves, giving you turns to act where the enemy cannot act. Get a way of getting past concealment (say, a ranged weapon with Seeking) and a way of detecting where the enemy is without sight, and you're all set. Immunity to fatigue and exhaustion means you only need to stop for rest when regaining spells (and with Reserve Feats, even that single need for rest can be put off if need be), supplies are a non-issue, and you can get around faster by running everywhere, since you won't get tired from it. Not needing to breathe means that you can just chill underwater, to evade enemies or to be able to deal with situations from another perspective. Really, being all-warforged can complement the warforged abilities more than if you just had one warforged in a mixed party, since the limitations of the other party members would still limit what the party could do.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-30, 11:31 AM
Watch out for overland movement rules. You are immune to fatuige, but not non-lethal damage.

Jopustopin
2011-08-30, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah, Warforged bard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Satyrist/flashstylizedweb.jpg

subject42
2011-08-30, 11:41 AM
Watch out for overland movement rules. You are immune to fatuige, but not non-lethal damage.

How does the wording of forced march interact with vigor? Is temporary HP damage the same as HP damage? Also, does damage reduction apply?

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-30, 11:46 AM
RAW non lethal damage isn't HP lost but rather damage gained, and you are effected when the total equles your current HP. Temp HP would buffer you for a short time, but once the duration ended you would still have the non-lethal damage.

Greenish
2011-08-30, 11:48 AM
There's a warforged feat that makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but whether that's worth taking just for the increased overland speed…

Morph Bark
2011-08-30, 12:15 PM

That's why you use them yourselves. Barbarian? No more fatigue from rage! Can create poison? Poison your slam attack! Cover yourself in disease-infested filth! Throw bombs that poison/cause sleep/paralyze/infect with disease/nauseate!

subject42
2011-08-30, 12:19 PM
That's why you use them yourselves. Barbarian? No more fatigue from rage! Can create poison? Poison your slam attack! Cover yourself in disease-infested filth! Throw bombs that poison/cause sleep/paralyze/infect with disease/nauseate!

You've certainly sold me. My next character will be a psychotic, poo-covered robot hobo who's primary form of interaction is punching people with a gutterslime encrusted fist.

We might as well take the "all PCs are wealthy, murderous hobos" concept to its logical conclusion.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-30, 01:45 PM
There's a warforged feat that makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but whether that's worth taking just for the increased overland speed…

I have a feeling that this has already been discussed in this thread...

Oh right. So toss in the Improved Resiliency feat from RoE and you're good to go.

:smalltongue: But seriously, you wouldn't just get an overland speed boost, you'd be a robot that could rock and roll all night and party every day. Without stopping. Ever.

Person_Man
2011-08-30, 02:06 PM

That will be really popular with the townsfolk the first time you go to sell your treasure. "Look everyone, it's that gang of unsleeping poisonous disease ridden robots that roam abandoned castles and towns looking for strangers to murder and steal from! Run!"

Cog
2011-08-30, 02:09 PM
"Run!"
So long as they run fast enough, it's all good. You've just looted two locations for the price of one!

Tyndmyr
2011-08-30, 02:13 PM
You've certainly sold me. My next character will be a psychotic, poo-covered robot hobo who's primary form of interaction is punching people with a gutterslime encrusted fist.

We might as well take the "all PCs are wealthy, murderous hobos" concept to its logical conclusion.

Wealthy, murderous ROBOT hobos! I like it!

Keld Denar
2011-08-30, 02:17 PM
They can hide, but they can't run...immune to fatigue, remember?

subject42
2011-08-30, 02:19 PM
They can hide, but they can't run...immune to fatigue, remember?

Sooner or later the townsfolk will outrun their spot checks. Remember that in D&D you technically can't see the sun.

On top of that, roboMurderHobos take a penalty to spot.

Person_Man
2011-08-30, 03:11 PM
So long as they run fast enough, it's all good. You've just looted two locations for the price of one!

True enough. But then who will you sell all of your stuff to?

[off topic]I had a friend who DM'd for a group where all the players decided that they wanted to be Evil. They spent their time stealing from the major city and pillaging local villages. They had to compete with Evil NPCs, monsters, law enforcement, and Parties of Good/Neutral adventurers who sought them out. Fun times were had by all. The only problem was that virtually everyone who was civilized hated/feared them once they established their reputation for stealing/murder, and they were unwilling to pay the Thieves Guild markup on fencing their stolen treasure. So they just ended up burying it in a dungeon lair that they cleared out, and adding additional layers of security and undead minions to protect it - which I found hilarious.[/off topic]

deuxhero
2011-08-30, 03:12 PM
Then you just need everyone to get the boots that boost your run speed.

Volthawk
2011-08-30, 03:12 PM
True enough. But then who will you sell all of your stuff to?

[off topic]I had a friend who DM'd for a group where all the players decided that they wanted to be Evil. They spent their time stealing from the major city and pillaging local villages. They had to compete with Evil NPCs, monsters, law enforcement, and Parties of Good/Neutral adventurers who sought them out. Fun times were had by all. The only problem was that virtually everyone who was civilized hated/feared them once they established their reputation for stealing/murder, and they were unwilling to pay the Thieves Guild markup on fencing their stolen treasure. So they just ended up burying it in a dungeon lair that they cleared out, and adding additional layers of security and undead minions to protect it - which I found hilarious.[/off topic]

And that's how dungeons get all the loot in them. Those PCs basically just remade the dungeon, but with their own minions and loot.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-30, 03:16 PM
Oh yeah, Warforged bard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Satyrist/flashstylizedweb.jpg

That's not a warforged. That's just Tony Stark in his latest super armor.:smallwink:

Also, about thing to look out for:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081225191856/avatar/images/2/2e/Toph.png

Metal bending's a bitch.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-30, 03:17 PM
Now without a word have the players run into thier own dungeon the next campain. Watch the dawning realisation that they are in thier own design sink in.

Keld Denar
2011-08-30, 03:18 PM
Metal bending's a bitch.

http://www.naskaras.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bender.jpg
ORLY?

Hanuman
2011-08-30, 03:27 PM
Air

Belongings

Light

Rest

These are things warforged do not need, and that regular beings do.

For air, use things that either disable it such as a nonsolid wall, or a cloud, or hell just set **** on fire and smoke everyone to death.

Belongings do not matter to warforged to begin with, so perhaps a VoP and maybe even saint template might work, but saint is a stretch.

Light is not required for a party of beings that see without it. A great way to make use of this is to get the magic fan item (forgot name) that explodes sources of fire in a 30' cone, it also disables it from ever being re-lit so you can treat them as blind, very surprised, and without a source of light.

Rest, this one is very important because it means all forms of rest. Any task that takes a length of time longer than an hour, that can be done indefinitely can be done infinitely. Make use of this by picking up a few ranks in perform and a Lyr of Building, which does hundreds upon hundreds of manpower of work every hour and in the case of a warforged... forever.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-30, 03:34 PM
Spell casters could also consider chilling in a bag of holding or handy haversack while they regain their spells. Their companions (who have no need to rest) will simply march onward instead of stopping for such trivial inconveniences.

Also, it is much easier to smuggle your entire party into places using the aforementioned extradimensional storage spaces than it would be with a party that required oxygen.

Greenish
2011-08-30, 03:54 PM
Light is not required for a party of beings that see without it.While true, I don't see what that has to do with warforged.

Keld Denar
2011-08-30, 03:55 PM
Mad props if the extradimensional space looks like a clown car (or pokeball?). Imagine getting into a fight with said "lone" warforged, who tosses a portable hole on the wall and out rush 3-4 other angry warforged with weapons and spells ready.

I wouldn't say that 'forged lack a need for belongings. Worldly comforts, maybe, and armor, sure, but they still need proper weapons (natural attacks are hard as hell to enchant), stat boosters, flight, short range teleportation, mind blank, FoM, and a host of other attributes that folks get from items, most of which aren't covered by VoP (the main detraction from VoP).

Hanuman
2011-08-30, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't say that 'forged lack a need for belongings. Worldly comforts, maybe
I was speaking contextually, same as you wouldn't likely take Nymphs kiss unless you had a fey in-party.

Keld Denar
2011-08-30, 04:46 PM
What are you talking about? That was kinda a non-sequiter...

Essence_of_War
2011-08-30, 05:11 PM

You sir, owe me a new Cherry Coke and a new keyboard.:smalltongue:

Volthawk
2011-08-30, 05:12 PM
Hmm, with all this talk of hobo warforged, I'm thinking of a feat or PrC for warforged where basically you stick rubbish, scrap metal and the like on the body, providing extra protection. So in the end you get warforged that look like mobile scrap/rubbish heaps.

Hanuman
2011-08-30, 05:21 PM
Hmm, with all this talk of hobo warforged, I'm thinking of a feat or PrC for warforged where basically you stick rubbish, scrap metal and the like on the body, providing extra protection. So in the end you get warforged that look like mobile scrap/rubbish heaps.
See: Junk Golem

subject42
2011-08-30, 06:11 PM
You sir, owe me a new Cherry Coke and a new keyboard.:smalltongue:

I aim to please.

Morph Bark
2011-08-30, 06:51 PM

They'd be the perfect protagonists of the first book to herald a new genre! Pooppunk!:smallwink:

Volthawk
2011-08-30, 06:55 PM
See: Junk Golem

Junkforged :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-30, 07:11 PM
BTW this is how an all Warforged party looks
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/Archangel_EPOB/DnD4e_Pics_project/People/MM2207-warforgedanvilpriestwarforgedresounderwarforgedsav age.jpg

Cog
2011-08-30, 07:25 PM
BTW this is how an all Warforged party looks
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/Archangel_EPOB/DnD4e_Pics_project/People/MM2207-warforgedanvilpriestwarforgedresounderwarforgedsav age.jpg
Too much clothing.

Morph Bark
2011-08-30, 07:41 PM
Also one is wearing a chain vest.

However, since you start out with clothes for free... have all warforged start out with royal/noble clothing and sell it for an extra 200 gp at level 1. :smallamused:

Cog
2011-08-30, 07:49 PM
However, since you start out with clothes for free... have all warforged start out with royal/noble clothing and sell it for an extra 200 gp at level 1. :smallamused:
The free set is a limited list, or else anybody could do that and but a cheaper outfit with the profits. Most expensive of the freebies is the Explorer's outfit, with a 5gp resale value.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 12:03 PM
Also one is wearing a chain vest.I think the picture is from 4th ed, which "standardized" how warforged work (ie. no plating, no immunities, need to rest).

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-31, 12:13 PM
You can wear armor, it just doesn't stack AC and you get all the negatives. That said there is nothing stoping you from having enchanted plateing and armor enchanted with some other effect (likely leather for no penelties)

NEO|Phyte
2011-08-31, 01:08 PM
That said there is nothing stoping you from having enchanted plateing and armor enchanted with some other effect (likely leather for no penelties)

You mean aside from the limit on magic items, right? Enchanted plating still counts as armor/robes.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 01:10 PM
You can wear armorAh, so the warforged description in page 23 of ECS lies to us. Damn it! :smallamused:

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-31, 01:30 PM
You can wield two swords and get the difrent bonuses at the same time. Why not two sets of armor?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-31, 01:47 PM
I think the picture is from 4th ed, which "standardized" how warforged work (ie. no plating, no immunities, need to rest).

Yep that picture is from 4e:smallredface:

NEO|Phyte
2011-08-31, 01:48 PM
You can wield two swords and get the difrent bonuses at the same time. Why not two sets of armor?

Because, surprisingly enough, weapon 2's bonuses do not apply to weapon 1. Also because there are no rules limiting number of magic weapons, outside of the obvious limitation of number of hands able to wield them.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 01:50 PM
Why not two sets of armor?Because you don't have two bodies (unless you do, but then you're not warforged).

If you look at warforged's description, it rather plainly states that plating prevents you from wearing armour.

Morph Bark
2011-08-31, 01:52 PM
Because you don't have two bodies (unless you do, but then you're not warforged).

If you look at warforged's description, it rather plainly states that plating prevents you from wearing armour.

Dvati are so delicious. <3

Dvati undeadified warforged scouts would be doubly so.