PDA

View Full Version : Elphælia (PEACH)

enderlord99
2011-08-29, 05:31 PM
In Elphælia, there are three main groups: the city-folk, the forest-folk, and the dark-folk. These groups are based on alignment, not species; there are a lot more than 3 races here, to the extent that if you can name it, it's there in some form or other. Likewise regardless of race, anyone can belong to any group(/alignment)

The city-folk and the forest-folk are both good, yet are still separate. How they are different is hopefully obvious based on their names. The city-folk are led by the Angels, and the forest-folk by the Kami. The city-folk and forest-folk are steadfast allies against...

The dark-folk

The evil dark-folk would likely be gone completely from infighting if not for the efforts of the Dark Emperor Græx. Græx somehow managed to unite almost all of the dark-folk and put them firmly under his rule. Now Græx intends to invade Elphælia. (Most, if not all, campaigns in Elphælia will deal with thwarting Græx's plots.)

Omeganaut
2011-08-29, 07:15 PM
What about neutral people and PC's? Where do they fit?

enderlord99
2011-08-29, 07:44 PM
Most of what people call "Neutral" (the general populace) is actually "Very-Mildly-Aligned City-Folk." Also, if you're thinking "balance of nature" type neutral, there is no balance. Evil is not a necessary part of nature.

Omeganaut
2011-08-29, 10:01 PM
Well, wouldn't the neutral city-folk count as a major group? I imagine they would be annoyed by the antics of the other groups as rather extreme.

unosarta
2011-08-29, 10:07 PM
Most of what people call "Neutral" (the general populace) is actually "Very-Mildly-Aligned City-Folk." Also, if you're thinking "balance of nature" type neutral, there is no balance. Evil is not a necessary part of nature.

Evil is not a necessary part of nature, but acts that are generally considered evil are a part of nature, I.E. killing an innocent, eating its flesh, rape (although certainly less so than in human society, but it still occurs). How exactly is a good supporter of nature supposed to justify those actions, and also say that evil people are wrong, when some of their actions are inherent in nature? In addition, are you saying that literally every city-folk is good? That seems like a really, really shallow setting, to be honest.

enderlord99
2011-08-29, 10:30 PM
In addition, are you saying that literally every city-folk is good? That seems like a really, really shallow setting, to be honest.

"City-folk" does not necessarily mean "people who live in cities." It's more... "White, plus Order and Goodness." Likewise, "Forest-folk" is "Green, plus Chaos and Goodness" and Dark-folk is "Black, plus Evilness." I suppose people can be neutral here, but most aren't, because (I should probably edit this into the OP) Græx's minions currently pose a major threat. If you lived in <insert name of a major historical war-zone here> during <the war it was involved in>, would you stand idly by?

Omeganaut
2011-08-30, 08:46 AM
No, I'd get out of there and go searching for somewhere else to live.

It might help us critique it if we had more information to go on, because as of right now, it just seems like one idea that hasn't been fully formed yet.

enderlord99
2011-08-30, 02:15 PM
No, I'd get out of there and go searching for somewhere else to live.

They don't have space travel yet.:smallamused:

Seriously, though, the WHOLE WORLD is under some form of threat from Græx. Nowhere is completely safe.

Dryad
2011-09-02, 06:38 AM
No offense, but there really isn't much of a setting here. We see three separate 'cultures,' but no actual cultural values, no customs, nothing to actually distinguish the one from the other.
The alignments also imply that most people from any background are pretty much the same; there is little to distinguish the individuals of the world.

There is no form of trade, economy, food-production, tech-level, religious doctrine, morals, etiquette or a paint-made map.

So.. This is more like a very sketchy introduction to a story rather than a setting; after having read this, I have no idea of what the setting looks like, feels like or plays like.

Edit: just to clarify: That doesn't mean your idea is bad. Merely that your execution of explanation is severely incomplete, which would be easy to remedy (though also somewhat time-consuming, to do right. :) )

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-09, 12:42 PM
If you lived in <insert name of a major historical war-zone here> during <the war it was involved in>, would you stand idly by?

No, but that doesn't mean that everyone opposing are good. Most evil and neutral people would stand against another evil force if their homes where threatened.