PDA

View Full Version : RaggedAngel's "The Secret of The Windswept Wall" IC

Pages : [1] 2

RaggedAngel
2011-08-29, 07:09 PM
The sky has been slowly darkening all day, and the smell of rain has been thick in the air. Now it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape. The sun is hidden behind massive stormclouds, and a cold wind blows from the north.

As bolts of lightning begin to slam from cloud to ground and pieces of hail begin to strike the earth, the need for shelter becomes obvious. Ahead in the distance, a large tor rises from the ground, its form illuminated by the occasional lightning bolt. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it in this weather would be folly, it might have some outcropping that would provide safety from the storm.

As you approach the cave, you see others climbing the tor, and a few already huddled near the entrance to the cave. Lightning once more splits the sky, and the first bits of hail have begun to fall. Including yourself the group, driven together by the storm and fate, includes a adamantine-plated warforged, a beautiful elf gripping a greatsword, a human covered in tools and the trappings of magic, a slight and quick halfling, and a young human woman with twin longswords and striking features.

You hear someone, you can't tell who, call out to the rest of the group. "Why are we waiting outside in the storm? The seal to this tor was blasted open last month!" You look and see that the massive stone seal to the earthen tomb is indeed shattered, and the massive door into the depths of the hill looms unlocked and unguarded. Above you, thunder booms, shockingly loud. "Hurry up, you all, before this storm kills us!"

Post all OOC comments and dice rolls in spoilers.

I think I'm going to pick blue for most of my DM-y comments, though recurring characters may get their own colors.

Greenish
2011-08-29, 07:23 PM
Bastion

The massive warforged takes a moment to light up a hooded lantern, sheltering the flint behind it's greatcloak-covered form, then steps inside the tomb, wordlessly motioning others to follow.

Clear illumination for 30' radius, shadowy illumination for 60'.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-29, 07:25 PM
The light and the opening of the massive stone door, which opens without a sound, reveal a stone chamber beyond the entrance that measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor. You can smell a faint scent coming out of the tomb, almost hidden by the rain; decay and mold, with a tiny hint of ozone.

Jopustopin
2011-08-29, 07:27 PM
Sida runs inside still using her backpack as a shield from the hail; instead of frightened by the storm she seems excited. When she gets inside she nods at the warforged in appreciation for the light and looks back to see if anyone needs any help.

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 07:33 PM
"A silver piece says the left door leads to trouble. Anyone care to take that bet?" The halfling grins as he lowers his hood, fishing a silver mark from somewhere in his vest, flipping it several feet into the air before catching it and returning it to his vest in a flash. "Kind of you to bring a lantern to help all us poor, lightless stragglers, my good... er... fellow. Say, you aren't one of those 'forged that fancies itself a woman, are you? Not that there's anything wrong with that if you are, of course. Just, you know, curious.

"So, about that bet?"

Greenish
2011-08-29, 07:40 PM
Bastion

The warforged lets out a deep, rumbling sound, only just recognizable as laughter. "I am not of flesh and blood, and have little use for such categories. I'm often called Bastion, and I note that to judge that bet, we'd have to delve deeper into this resting place."

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 07:47 PM
"Right you are! You seem a proactive sort, and I can understand a burning desire in that tin heart of yours to get something done. I certainly won't stop you if you suddenly decide to go on and open one of those doors. Right behind you, O' Glorious Lampbearer! Really! Just, you know... maybe from... back here... What's the worst that could happen anyway?"

Greenish
2011-08-29, 08:00 PM
Bastion

"I'm reasonably sure my heart isn't ma-", Bastion starts, then catches on and continues, "Heh, never mind. I have heard curiosity killed a small thing made of meat."

The lumbering construct regards the set of doors for a moment. "Then again, we will be stuck here for a while, and I have neither the capability to sleep nor a deck of Three-Dragon Ante."

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 08:03 PM
"Oh, Three-Dragons is fun enough, I guess. I prefer Veiled Princesses myself, but it's not very common this far north from what I gather. Hm. Well, if you're not going to open one of these -" Erad walks forward and gives the middle door an experimental tap with a boot, then turns back to Bastion. "- then how do you feel about shell games? Eyes faster than the hand and all that?"

Greenish
2011-08-29, 08:09 PM
Bastion

Bastion addresses the other travelers. Though his facial features remain still, sculpted from adamantine as they are, his voice has smile in it: "It seems we are all going to be robbed of our possessions unless we indulge him."

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 08:13 PM
"Robbed? Robbed?" Erad affects an expression somewhere between revulsion and horror. "My good... er... Lampbearer! Surely you don't mean to offend? Robbery is for those slow of wit and devoid of morals! My good people, I assure you, I intend to obtain every last copper you have on your persons through completely legitimate means!

"...shells, anyone?"

Greenish
2011-08-29, 08:23 PM
Bastion

"I'm called 'Bastion', not 'lampbearer'.", The warforged patiently explains. "What about you?"

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 08:33 PM
The halfling looks around for a bit of rubble, then strikes a heroic pose upon it, one leg up, knee bent, on the bit of stone.

"Lampbearer, you have the honor of meeting Erad Silverfingers, halfling extraordinaire! Gambler of legend, wilier than foxes, quicker than a snake, and all around useful-person! Anything you need done, I'm your man! Well..." The halfling flexes an arm, pulling an expression of mock sadness at the lack of any noticable biceps. "Anything that doesn't involve me picking up something heavier than a coin pouch, anyway. Oh, and doors. I don't do doors. Nasty things. Have you ever met a door that held anything good for you behind it in a place like this? I haven't.

"...what are the odds your heart really is tin, do you suppose? Say... ten to one? Twenty? Your gold on my silver?" Erad grins, hopping down off the stone.

Greenish
2011-08-29, 08:40 PM
Bastion

The warforged carefully sets the lamp down on the floor, then walks over to the halfling and, looming over him, extends a hand to shake. Bastion has a natural gift for looming. "Nice to meet you, Erad. Name's Bastion."

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 08:42 PM
Erad looks up with wide eyes, staring at Bastion's adamantine face for a long moment, then grins, taking the huge metal hand in his own tiny one. "Pleasure's all mine, I'm sure, Lampbearer!"

Greenish
2011-08-29, 08:49 PM
Bastion

The warforged looks the halfling in the eyes and simply states: "Bastion. I'm not carrying the lantern." It does not let go.

Jopustopin
2011-08-29, 08:51 PM
Sida pulls out a violin from her backpack and inspects it to make sure that it wasn't damaged in the storm. She begins to play a soft note and when the attention draws to her she laughs, "You two would make a hilarious comedic routine. I can set you guys up, I know people. Just let me know, I'll be here all night." She plays another note while singing beautifully "Baastion and the beast"

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 08:54 PM
Erad squeaks. "Pleasuretomeetyoumister-erorisitmissusohbrandobarisabove-yourealizeyou'rebreakingmytinylittlehalflingbonesr ight? Maybeyoucouldletgojustalittlebitohbrandobaristhere goesmypinky..."

Erad stops trying to shake hands with Bastion. It's... not very effective. He turns to Sida.

"That's fantastic! Say, do you know 'Damsel by the Dell'? Slow, sorta soothing? Great for distracting people playing shells, you know!"

In case you need a translation:

Pleasure to meet you mister - or is it missus? Oh, Brandobaris above - you realize you're breaking my tiny little halfling bones, right? Maybe you could let go just a little bit- oh Brandobaris, there goes my pinky...

Greenish
2011-08-29, 09:03 PM
Bastion

"Honorifics won't be necessary, just 'Bastion' will do." Bastion doesn't let go.

Looking at the human girl, it says in deadpan: "I feel my repertoire is too limited for such a trade."

Circle of Life
2011-08-29, 09:06 PM
Erad looks at his hand, then to Bastion's face, then back to his hand, and finally back to Bastion's face again. "Very well then, 'Just Bastion'. It would be quite good of you to release my paw before you turn it into mutton. There's a good chap - er, chapette? - either way really..."

Greenish
2011-08-29, 09:18 PM
Bastion

"I am not 'Just Bastion', nor am I unjust." The warforged releases the halfling's hand. "You may need that. My name is Bastion."

Bastion turns to the young bard. "Though we do not know each other, may I ask two things from you? First, your name. Second, do you know 'A Devil Shall Be my Sergeant'?"

The warforged retrieves his lantern.

Jopustopin
2011-08-29, 09:40 PM
Sida begins to play the notes to "Devil Shall Be my Sergeant" although they are strung almost lazily and much slower than the tune is normally played. "I go by Sida Fox, self proclaimed Champion of Selûne, wandering Bard and adventurer. Glad to meet you Bastion."

Sida switches songs to "Dragon for a Day" and draws her bow across the strings, again, much slower than the song is normally played (in a bar with much drinking).

Needle
2011-08-29, 10:37 PM
“Woo~” – Haianna “said” with big surprise. While approaching the group she was completely in awe with the music the female human was playing – “Your music is all over the place, the storm is compleeeeetely ashamed” – and after taking a seat, she looked directly at her play with admiration and added – “so what Father told me about other Bards is true”

Jopustopin
2011-08-30, 01:32 AM
Sida stops playing with a smile turning her full attention to the armored elf, "Your father was a bard too? What's his name? I might have heard of him."

Needle
2011-08-30, 07:12 AM
“Keressaer Bluestrider” – Haianna replied – “he was always telling me he was just an average Bard when I was a child”

Jopustopin
2011-08-30, 09:36 AM
Sida shakes her head sadly, "I haven't heard of him but then, I'm only 16 years old. Maybe I'll cross paths with him when I become good enough to be called average." Sida plays a sudden note immediately after a flash of lightning in anticipation. After the thunder she continues "You on the other hand have not followed in your fathers footsteps it seems." Sida nods at the heavy armor and greatsword, "And a shield too? Am I in the presence of a great warrior that I should follow around and make tales of?"

Niezck
2011-08-30, 02:07 PM
Charging into the tor, rain dripping off his thick woolen cloak, Wilf tries to stop himself suddenly as he sees the arranged humanoids... and others.

"Stormpeace! Please, stormpeace!"

Taking a moment to actually glance around beyond his initial exclamation, he clocks the violin-playing bard, the smirking halfling and the intimidating warforged.

"... Huh, looks like you already agreed."

Removing his cloak with a swift movement, he flicks it toward the door in an attempt to remove as much water from it as he can.

"Terrible bloody weather."

Slightly more than a mumble, Wilf clearly intends for the others to hear.

Needle
2011-08-30, 03:06 PM
“Don’t say that!” – replied Haianna while puffing her cheeks – “your music is great, I don’t know why both Father and you like to play downhow pretty both play” – and after a pause to catch some breath, Haianna said with entusiasm – “I prefer how you adressed yourself before, a champion, sounds way better and fits you. Myself, the armor is just the way to be able to travel and force my luck under the teachings of Tymora”.

She then looked at her surroundings and noticed they were not alone. The Bard’s music attracted her to this place, and it was just now that she noticed a Halfling who appears to be the companion of a Warforged, and an aproaching Human to whom Haianna next spoke – “Terrible indeed, but I’m pretty sure we will make us good company while waiting for it to stop” – then she spoke as if referring to everyone – “Haianna is my name.”

Greenish
2011-08-30, 03:09 PM
Bastion

"The weather's not unusual for these parts, I have heard," the warforged rumbles, "and neither is the custom of stormpeace."

Jopustopin
2011-08-30, 03:15 PM
Sida smiles at the human as he walks in and puts away her violin stowing it into her pack. "I think it's time we go find the danger that Erad spoke of. We'll split our fortunes evenly save for the experience; that you get to keep all for yourself."

Greenish
2011-08-30, 03:25 PM
Bastion

Bastion turns to regard the left door, the shadows cast by it's lantern shifting on the walls of the room, then knocks on the door.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-30, 03:31 PM
The sound of his knocking echos gently, but there is otherwise no effect. Outside, thunder rumbles once more, and the ferocity of the hail seems to increase.

The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this room seems stable enough for the most part. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling.

The doors leading into the tor, however, do show signs of weakness, seeming to tremble with every thunderclap. Suddenly, in conjunction with a particularly loud thunderclap, all three doors break open at once, falling from their doorways into the room with a great cacophony. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the largest doorway.

Yay, combat time! I'll have the map up after class; until then, feel free to roll initiative in the OOC or IC threads; if you put it in the IC, add some fluff to go with it. There is no surprise round.

Rat's inits, which I will average: [roll0]

Greenish
2011-08-30, 03:38 PM
Bastion

"For the record, that was in no way or shape my fault."

Circle of Life
2011-08-30, 03:56 PM
Erad looks up from fumbling about in his vest, three shuriken held between the fingers of each hand. "How, exactly, is that in any way not your fault?"

Greenish
2011-08-30, 04:00 PM
Bastion

In mock-offended tone: "I'm still working on that bit. Now, the rats probably look to escape instead of fighting, so if you're afraid of bites, stand aside."

RaggedAngel
2011-08-30, 08:44 PM
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_
1||||||||||
2||||||||||
3||||R||R||||
4|||||S|||||
5||R|B|||||H|R|
6|||R|E|||||R|
7|||||R||R|||
8||||||W||||
9||||||||||
10||||||||||
[/table]

EDIT- Just to clarify, I'm using the first letter of your character's first name for the table detailed map. Doors are at E1, A5, and J5.

The rats provoke attacks of opportunity for everyone as they attempt to enter your squares. Their turn is not over, but I'll need some AoO's from you all.

The rats seem to be crazed due to the lightning and the noise, but the more naturally-minded among you notice that they seem to be acting out of character for such vermin, which would normally choose to run instead of fight. That's academic for now, however, as they attempt to take a bite out of everyone present, skittering and swarming along the ground.

Niezck
2011-08-30, 08:46 PM
Swinging his morningstar wildly, Wilf shows the reason he carries a crossbow as his primarily weapon.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Circle of Life
2011-08-30, 08:52 PM
"Ahh! Gerroffame you blighters!" Erad stomps frantically at the rats trying to make a meal of his legs.

Unarmed Stomp: [roll0] for 1 nonlethal damage.

Jopustopin
2011-08-30, 11:11 PM
Sida tries to stomp the rats as they swarm by her while shouting, "Really you guys? You sure you don't want to get into comedy?"

Sida doesn't threaten any squres. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm)

Greenish
2011-08-31, 08:28 AM
Bastion

Wordlessly, Bastion brings his large foot down on one of the rats.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 09:06 AM
Sida has 2 rats in her square, and they hit her for 2 damage.

Haianna has 2 rats in her square, and she was hit for 1 damage.

Wilfred has 2 rats in his square, but was not hit.

Bastion and Erad each have a rat, and neither was hit.

The chattering swarm surges forward from the doorways, nipping at ankles and ripping at calves. The rats slip between the legs of the intrepid adventurers, their fat black bodies wriggling with malice and fear. They manage to bite into the women, but the men manage to avoid the worst of the damage.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 09:15 AM
Bastion

"Get up from there, you're on the way." Bastion picks up Erad and settles him on it's shoulders, then stomps on the rat that has been nibbling the halfling's feet.

Move action to pick up Erad, provokes.
Attacking the rat in D6: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning (or should I use my earlier roll?)

Niezck
2011-08-31, 09:40 AM
Pulling out his mace, Wilf swings madly at the rats below, showing very little skill in his attack.

"Blasted things!"

[roll0] for [roll1]

Circle of Life
2011-08-31, 09:54 AM
"Hey, wait, what're you do- oh. Well, this is quite convenient."

Erad throws one of the shuriken, trying to bisect the rat previously gnawing at his ankles.

[roll0] (+8 if Bastion's shoulder counts as higher ground) for 6 damage.

Jopustopin
2011-08-31, 10:22 AM
Sida looks kinda appalled that the rats are biting her but doesn't make a sound, instead she wordlessly pulls out her longsword and begins hacking at them.

Move Action: Pull out longsword
Not-An-Action: Five foot step to E3
Standard: Longsword [roll0] for [roll1]

Needle
2011-08-31, 11:58 AM
“Kyaaaa” – screams Haianna in a loud voice – “go away go away go away” – then Haianna takes out her sword and try to hit the rat on their bums, as sweeping it away from her.

My move action is drawing the sword, so here I go. My Attack Roll has the -4 penalty included because of the Non-Lethal Damage rules :smallmad:

Attack Roll to Rat I
[roll0]

Damage Roll (non-lethal)
[roll1]

And non-action move to G5, whatever the result :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 12:34 PM
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_
1||||||||||
2||||||||||
3||||||R||||
4|||||S|||||
5||R|B|||||H|R|
6||||E|||||U|
7|||||||R|||
8||||||W||||
9||||||||||
10||||||||||
[/table]

The rats are halved in number. Only Bastion gets hit, and he ignores the damage.

Attacks:
1. [roll0]
2. [roll1]
3. [roll2]
4. [roll3]

A flurry of clanking swords and the loud squelch of a shuriken striking home resound through the large room. Bastion is momentarily unbalanced by his new halfling-shoulder-cannon, but the rats swarming him can't manage to injure him. Erad slaughters one of the little vermin, as does Sida and Wilfred. Haianna, however, seems to be taking pity on the vicious rats, and she weakens her swing to prevent her blow from actually harming them, despite knocking one out cold. The rats lose some of their vigor, and they only manage to bite Bastion, to little effect.

Circle of Life
2011-08-31, 12:38 PM
"Oh, watch yourself there, Just Bastion! One of the blighters is climbing your leg!"

Erad puts action to words and attempts to slay another of the offending creatures.

[roll0] for 6 damage on one of the rats in Bastion's square.

Niezck
2011-08-31, 12:40 PM
"Ha, got it!"

Wilf once more swings his mace, encouraged by his prior success despite his combat ineptitude.

[roll0] [roll1]

Jopustopin
2011-08-31, 12:44 PM
Sida Attacks the other rat, not taking any pity on them.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Needle
2011-08-31, 12:51 PM
Haianna switches her stance and tries to knock out the other rat on his sight.

Martial Spirit Stance activated as a swift action, then I move towards the remaining rat and the same as above.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1]

Greenish
2011-08-31, 12:56 PM
Bastion

Bastion strides near to Wilfred, telling the halfling to hold on, and tries to pick up the rat the human missed.

Move to F6, starting grapple with rat in G7. [roll0], if successful, opposed grapple check for [roll1].

I'll take the liberty to roll the rat's check, too, for expediency. :smalltongue:
Rat's [roll2]. If the rat fails, Bastion shakes it for [roll3] nonlethal damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 01:06 PM
Erad's razor-sharp shuriken tears the rat to bits, just as before. Wilfred clumsily misses the other rat harrying him, but Bastion manages to clobber the poor thing half to death. Sida also misses with her swing, but watching Haianna's powerful blow she is filled with a sense of strength and pride, and the pain in her leg fades. The rat she faces makes a halfhearted attack, and then attempts to flee, opening itself up to attacks from Sida, Bastion, and Wilfred.

I'm going to say that the Martial Spirit stance was up from the start, since there's no point punishing you for using a new system. You healed yourself last turn, and Sida this turn. The only rat remaining is Sida's, and it...
[roll0] misses with a vengeance. Three of you get AoO's.

Niezck
2011-08-31, 01:12 PM
Muttering a curse under his breath, Wilf almost throws his morningstar at the fleeing rat, he strikes with such force.

[roll0] [roll1]

Greenish
2011-08-31, 01:18 PM
Bastion

Bastion holds the unconscious rat by the tail and brings the lantern closer to inspect the tiny beast, muttering. "This is quite unusual behaviour for rats, trying to bite through adamantium. I wonder what got them so agitated."

Circle of Life
2011-08-31, 01:41 PM
Erad hops down from Bastion's shoulder, the busies himself with collecting his weapons. He pauses, looking around at the rat corpses littering the floor. He looks down at his unprotected feet, then back to Bastion. Shrugging, he climbs back up with a mumbled "Hope you don't mind, Just Bastion."

While he's on Bastion's shoulder, Erad's going to manifest Psionic Minor Creation for the next minute, aiming it into the empty oil container he carries around. That should give him ~100 doses of Sassone Leaf Residue.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 01:45 PM
Bastion

Absentmindedly, the construct grunts, "Bastion, no 'just' in the name." Still swinging the rat from it's hand, Bastion motions towards Haianna with it. "You seem to prefer your prey alive, you want this one too? I don't have to eat."

Needle
2011-08-31, 02:07 PM
“Yuk, I just didn’t want them to die. As you said, they came agitated; it’s not their fault... maybe we should go from where they came”

Greenish
2011-08-31, 02:12 PM
Bastion

The warforged shrugs and tosses the rat aside, then walks to the largest doorway, raising it's lantern and peering in.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 02:28 PM
I assume you mean the middle doorway, the one in the center.

Bastion sees a long stone hallway, moldy and damp but otherwise solidly built and clean, that travels down out of the light of his lantern. There is no more sound, except that of the storm outside and the drip of water. Someone in your group, you can't tell who, says, "Let's continue down the hallway. What else are we going to do all night?"

:smallamused:

Circle of Life
2011-08-31, 02:37 PM
Erad looks up from his oil flask, sticking a cork stopper in it. He peers down the hallway curiously. "Well, there's always sleeping... but what fun would that be? Still, if we do go in there, I vote we don't knock on any more doors. Cough."

Niezck
2011-08-31, 02:38 PM
"This is not gonna end well... But then, I would be quite interested in figuring out those doors..."

As he drifts off into thoughts about the mechanics of the doors, it can be assumed that Wilf agrees.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 02:48 PM
Bastion

"Just because we are in an ancient tomb only recently unsealed there is no reason to be impolite." Bastion pauses for a moment. "How did you know when the seal was blasted, anyway?"

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 04:47 PM
There is no response to Bastion's question, unless one of the other four decides to claim ownership of the voice.

Jopustopin
2011-08-31, 07:53 PM
When Bastion asks the question Sida responds, "I thought you were the one who yelled it out when we were outside. It was pretty bad out there but I thought I was the second one in here, after you."

Greenish
2011-08-31, 08:21 PM
Bastion tilts his head. "Me? I didn't shout anything, though I thought the suggestion was reasonable. I thought master Erad suggested it." The warforged then shrugs and motions towards the middle doorway. "Well, it's not really important. All in favour of looking around?"

Jopustopin
2011-08-31, 08:32 PM
Sida nods at Bastion, "Bastion care to lead the way? You are probably the best fit for the job and you have already shown that you are more than capable with dealing with adversity." Sida smiles at Erad as she speaks about adversity before continuing, "I'll be right behind you." At that Sida draws out her second longsword.

Circle of Life
2011-08-31, 08:38 PM
"What would I know of seals? Or blowing them up, for that matter? Do I look like a dwarf to you?" Erad shakes his head in wonderment, then nudges Bastion toward the door with a knee.

Niezck
2011-08-31, 08:40 PM
"Seals? Oh uh... What?"

Snapping out of his daze, Wilf looks around in confusion before catching onto the notion the group are moving forward.

"Ah, right, onward, yes."

Re-attaching his morningstar to his belt, he swings the crossbow around from his back and holds it in two hands, bolt loaded. That done, he follows behind the others.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 08:55 PM
Bastion shrugs again, shaking Erad, and starts to follow the corridor behind the mid doorway, lantern held high.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-31, 10:54 PM
The long stone hall ends in a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls into the middle of the room from a shaft in the ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the tor. From the bottom of the shaft dangles a rope, swinging slightly, and though it is old it looks solid and thick. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark stains suggest that it was used to carry away other fluids long ago, and you can detect a whiff of decay and death, stronger than in the previous chamber. You can tell as you approach that the room beyond has a lit torch or fire inside, and you can hear the sound of speaking in an odd tongue*.

As Bastion enters the room, however, the doorway bursts open, revealing two burly hobgoblins, each holding a sword and a torch. They stare at the party for a moment, shocked and enraged, and then charge forward, shouting at the top of their lungs. They swing at Bastion and Sida, but their attacks both go wide, the haste of their attack throwing off their aim.

If you speak Goblin:
"She said she would deal with intruders herself!" "It matters not what she said, fool; we either have to kill those intruders or she will kill us!"

Map:
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||1|||2|
4|||B|H||
5||S||||
6||||W||
[/table]

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Greenish
2011-08-31, 11:22 PM
Bastion responds to the surprise attack by swinging his arm in a massive sweep towards the nearest hobgoblin.

Attacking hobgoblin in B3: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning.

PS. I hope there's a copypaste error there, and gobbo #2 isn't actually swinging a sword with 1d20 base damage. :smalltongue:

Jopustopin
2011-08-31, 11:30 PM
Sida moves gracefully into position to assist Bastion.

Move: C6->D6->E6->f5->E4 (Flanking with Bastion)
Standard: Longsword +1 [roll0] for [roll1]

Leaping over the hobgoblin as he falls from the warforged's blow, Sida double moves into flanking with Haianna.

B5 ->B1 ->F1->F2

"Cut this fool down Haianna!" Sida shouts while swing her longswords in a distracting manner at the Hobgoblin.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 10:13 AM
"Oh. Hello."

Erad takes a moment to uncork the oil flask and smear a small portion of a thick, honeylike substance across the edges of one of his shuriken, then casually flicks it at the remaining hobgoblin.

Poison masterwork shuriken, fling!

[roll0] for 6 damage and a fort save vs Sassone Leaf Residue.

Doh.

Niezck
2011-09-01, 10:21 AM
Taken by surprise, though quick to act, Wilf releases a bolt at the remaining hobgoblin before rapidly loading another.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Then reloading.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-01, 10:26 AM
The first hobgoblin drops quickly as Sida lashes out with her blade, barely having time to look at her in dismay has he drops to the ground, bleeding profusely. The second hobgoblin, though brutally crushed by Bastion's attack, is still standing, and he manages to bat Erad's poisoned shuriken away with his shield. He grins, brandishes his sword, and looks down to notice the arrow in his leg, placed there by Wilfred. He teeters for a moment, and then collapses to the ground.

Niezck
2011-09-01, 10:29 AM
Almost loosing another bolt in the frenzy of the fight, Wilf cautiously lowers his crossbow as he looks around at the others.

"Well that was... easy. Any injuries? Oh and did anybody catch what they were saying?"

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 01:11 PM
Erad hops down and collects his weapon, carefully stuffing it poison and all into his vest. From the ground, he looks up at the towering Bastion, tapping a finger against his lips in thought.

"...perhaps a saddle could be arranged. Do you suppose you would look better in deerhide or dragonskin, Just Bastion?"

Needle
2011-09-01, 01:17 PM
”Ok!” - Shouts Haianna in confidence after Sida's shout, but... the fight is already over - ”wow, this was quick” - Haianna got on her knees and while trying to see if the foe had something of value asked - "Do someone know what they were babbling about?"

Obligatory Search Check :smalltongue:
[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-01, 01:27 PM
Other than the armor and weapons on the hobgoblins, including two light steel shields, two short swords, a pair of javelins, and their leather armor, Haianna finds that one of them has an intricately carved belt, made of a wide, thick strip of leather and bound with heavy silver. It has images of bulls and bears on it, and the silver glimmers in the light.

Niezck
2011-09-01, 01:49 PM
Looking over Haianna as she searches, Wilf's eyes light up at the ornate belt.

"Ooooh, fascinating! Pass me that belt will you?"

Needle
2011-09-01, 02:11 PM
“Sure” – Haianna passes the belt to Wilf while observing how he’s all excited – “Any idea of what it may be?”

Niezck
2011-09-01, 02:18 PM
Examining it carefully and turning it over repeatedly in his hands, Wilf looks confused, then intruiged, then sad.

"Hmm, nothing I can tell anyway. Try it on?"

Jopustopin
2011-09-01, 02:34 PM
"It looks like a nice belt, but it doesn't really go with my style. It looks like a good belt for a boy type." Sida looks at everyone before shaking her head, "I think the belt would look best on Bastion."

Sida moves her hand as if playing a violin and sings a soft note in a musical language.

Sida cast prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm). Spellcraft DC 15 to identifty

She does this until actual notes begin to appear from her imaginary instrument. They are crude and clearly the result of some magical effect. Then Sida begins moving her hands slowly over her body; the blood stained into her clothing from the hobgoblins begins to vanish from sight. "I can clean the blood off the belt, and from anyone who happens to care about what they look like."

Needle
2011-09-01, 02:36 PM
“Sure!!” – Haianna replied with no second thought besides “Tymora left it here for us”

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 06:42 PM
"I'll give it a shot," Erad says, proffering a tiny halfling hand for the belt. "After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

"...although, just in case this is one of those 'kill you' type belts, I want everyone to know that in the event that you do not try to shove this here potion on my belt down my throat as soon as I keel over, my ghost will be very vengeful. Just saying."

Niezck
2011-09-01, 07:33 PM
Seeing Erad put on the belt, Wilf hurries over to the little halfling, prodding and pressing him like a doctor inspecting a patient.

"Does this hurt? What does it feel like? Do you feel strange? Older? Younger? Weaker? Stronger? Taller? Shorter? Is it too tight? Too loose? Does it fit right?..."

The questions are nearly endless as the artificer tries to figure out just what this little treasure does.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 07:38 PM
Erad's face grows slack as he slowly extends an arm, turning it back and forth and flexing it. Then he grins, running back to Bastion and putting both hands around one of the warforged's legs.

"Why, I feel I could just - hnng! - lift this - hnng! - entire pile of - rrrgh! - metal in one go!"

Panting, Erad releases his grip on Bastion's leg and tumbles over backwards, ending sprawled on his back. "...well. Maybe not that much, at any rate. I do feel stronger though. Say..." Erad points to the rope dangling down the chute in the ceiling. "What do you suppose is up there?"

RaggedAngel
2011-09-01, 07:47 PM
The rope continues to dangle tantalizingly. Outside you can hear another boom of thunder, and the sound echoes through the shaft that the rope hangs from. It may be a way outside, and as best you can tell it goes all the way to the top of the hill.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 09:34 PM
"Uh... right. Well, considering we came inside to avoid that storm... all in favor of investigating the other rooms?"

Erad raises his hand from his position on the floor.

Greenish
2011-09-02, 04:48 AM
Bastion helps itself on one of the hobgoblins' shields, strapping it to it's arm. "Yes, let us go on."

Nodding to Erad, "Speaking of saddles, isn't it your turn to carry me now?"

Needle
2011-09-02, 09:30 AM
"No point in staying here so" - Haianna starts following the party with her greatsword in hand, who knows what else might come ahead.

Greenish
2011-09-02, 11:11 AM
Bastion walks to the doorway the hobgoblins burst out of and peeks through.

Just in case: [roll0].

RaggedAngel
2011-09-02, 12:35 PM
This module is odd, in that you can skip most of the encounters and move straight to the boss fight.

SPOILER ALERT: This is the boss fight.

A long, stone table dominates the center of this chamber, and bright bits of gold wink from within the dust that covers the floor. Upon the table lies the well-preserved corpse of a tall bugbear wearing the tabard and belts of a knight. Standing off to one side of the table is a human woman, an attractive brunette barely older than Haianna. She blinks at your light, and it becomes clear why the two hobgoblins, creatures with natural darkvision, were holding torches.

"Oh. Hi there." Her voice is the same as the one that suggested you enter the Tor and that you continue to explore it. You notice that she's covered in trinkets, tools, and gear, in a manner that resembles Wilfred. It's merely a resemblance, however, as this woman clearly had more money to work with when outfitting herself.

"I didn't really expect you all to get here so quickly. I wasn't quite ready, you see, and you forced me to make some hasty changes, in the dark, no less." She places her hand on a metal switch, and you see that a large and confusing tangle of machinery and magical fixtures has been built into the chamber roof. You see two copper strips that run out of the chamber into the last one, where they presumably travel all the way to the top of the hill.

"Now then, I'm glad to have some witnesses for the first in a long, long line of wonderous, original creations. Ladies, gentlemen, I give you: life." She throws the switch in time with a massive crack of lightning. There's a terrible screeching sound from the machinery, and two long copper prongs funnel electric power into the body on the table. Suddenly, the corpse twitches, and then sits up, lifting an old, rusted morningstar in one hand and a javelin in the other. As it climbs off the table, its mouth opens to loose an eerie moan. The brunette shrugs and laughs, and the light, happy sound is twisted into something dark by the situation and the surroundings. "Well, to be accurate, un-life, but that's just semantics. Now then, let's see how you all do."

She is not, in fact, a part of this module, but I've always wanted to have an overarching plot of my very own, and she's one of the best villain's I've ever come up with.

That said, if you decide to kill her I will not get mad at you or punish your character; however, I will warn you that she's several levels above you guys, for now anyway.

Also, Init:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Map:
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1||m|m|A|||
2|||||||
3|||t|t|t||
4|||t|t|t||
5||||Z|||
6|||||||
7|||H|S|B||
8||||W|E||
[/table]
Z- Bugbear zombie
t- Table
A- The woman
m- Machinery

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 06:58 PM
"...I'm no priest, but I'm pretty sure that's not how resurrections are suppose to work."

Erad darts out from behind the cover of Bastion's broad backside, flicking a shuriken toward the mad scientist as he goes.

Move to G-6, chuck masterwork shuriken at Artificer Chick.

[roll0] for 6 damage, plus [roll1] swift strikes damage, and a fort save vs sassone leaf residue.

Niezck
2011-09-02, 07:09 PM
Slightly distracted by the gadgets and trinkets on the woman's person, Wilf is somewhat delayed in acting. Though, once he returns to his senses he realises the gravity of the situation, fumbles about his belt and grabs a scroll off of it.

"You might need this!"

Within seconds he's unrolled the scroll and reads the words upon it... Though nothing happens.

"Stupid thing! Never works when I need it to!"

Move to draw it, standard to activate it.

DC 21 UMD check to activate scroll:
[roll0]

EDIT: Feh!

Jopustopin
2011-09-02, 07:23 PM
Sida begins to sing, a powerful haunting song spoken completely in draconic. As the song takes hold of you, you feel a fire deep inside of you awaken. Meanwhile the air around your weapons grows so cold that your blades fog over with frost and you can see your breath in the air.

Move Action: Move to G7
Standard Action: Inspire Courage (dragon ice inspiration) - All allies deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage with your melee and ranged attacks.

Needle
2011-09-02, 07:28 PM
Haianna closes in, she raise her Greatsword and aims for the recently awokened Zombie – “Everyone Charge!” – She shouts with an excited voice.

First, I activate Chaos Devotion Feat as a Swift Action, Then I move to C5 and initiate Vanguard Strike.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1]

New Manuever Avaiable
{table=head]Manuevers
Crusader’s Strike
Charging Minotaur
Stone Bones [/table]

[roll2]

Greenish
2011-09-03, 07:08 AM
Bastion takes position flanking the zombie, slamming it on the way.

Move to E5 (provokes AoO from Zombie).
Attack [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning and [roll2] cold.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-03, 02:02 PM
Erad's first action is to whip a shuriken through the air to the young woman, who's head snaps back as the bolt strikes her cleanly in the neck. She put her hand to the wound and then takes it away, staring at the blood spreading down her shirt and vest. "I... but..." She starts running out of the room, attempting to flee. She darts around the edge of the room and moves towards Wilf, her face panicked and wide. She leaps clear over Wilfred, her movements clearly enhanced by magic. She lands on the other side of Wilfred in the hallway and then she cuts down a small side passage, her feet slapping on the stone.

The rest of your attacks are far less successful, as the powerful undead creation proves to be as tough as stone, its rotten shield and tough skin keeping it safe from harm. It groans and lashes out at Bastion, the rusty morningstar heavy and dangerous, and then it swings at Haianna, its face passionless and rotten. Its attack clinks off of Bastions armor, but it hits Haianna heavily, breaking a rib.

Map:
1||m|m||||
2|||||||
3|||t|t|t||
4|||t|t|t||
5|||H|Z|B||
6|||||||E
7|||||||S
8||||W|||
[/table]

Rolls:
AoO on Bastion: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack on Haianna: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Again, Haianna has to lose either the shield or the greatsword. You cannot use both.

Wilfred gets a Will save.

Circle of Life
2011-09-03, 02:21 PM
Muttering imprecations under his breath, Erad moves closer to the machinery, whipping a shuriken toward the undead atrocity as he goes.

Move to F-2, shuriken away!

for 6+1d6[/roll] piercing and [roll1] cold.

Niezck
2011-09-03, 02:24 PM
"Psh, trying to trick me with petty illusions! As if!"

Removing a different scroll, Wilf rushes forwards as he sees Haianna injured.

Move to B8 then B6, then draw a scroll of CLW, dropping the old scroll on the ground to be picked up later. (Would it function like drawing a weapon while moving?)

DC 21 UMD check -
[roll0]
for [roll1] HP.

Greenish
2011-09-03, 02:47 PM
As Bastion's adamantine skin deflects the zombie's attack, the warforged grunts: "That the best you've got?" The construct punctuates the question with an open-handed smash at the undead bugbear's face.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning and [roll2] cold.

Jopustopin
2011-09-03, 04:10 PM
Sida continues her song a cappella and in draconic. If you understand draconic the song is an epic ode to Livezzenvivexious who was apparently a silver dragon with a particularly viscous breath weapon.

While singing Sida charges forward during a particularly exciting part of the song swinging hard with the longsword in her right hand at the corpse. The blow is wild and you wonder if she is even trained with weapons. Whatever, you like the way she sings.

Free Action: Sing
Full Round Action: CHHHAAARRGEEE!!! (Charge to E6) [roll0]
Damage:[roll1] plus [roll2] cold

Needle
2011-09-03, 06:14 PM
“This thing is disturbing me” – Said Haianna after dropping her shield. Now she attacks again with fury in her eyes

Thought I could ignore Shield AC and done, guess not :smalltongue: Again I activate Chaos Devotion Feat as a Swift Action, and then attack with Furious Counterstrike and Douse the Flame. 5 foot move to C6 as last move. No Move Action taken this turn.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1]

New Manuever Avaiable
{table=head]Manuevers
Charging Minotaur
Stone Bones [/table]

[roll2]

Next Turn’s Chaos Devotion
[roll3]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-03, 10:34 PM
The powerful, violent undead bugbear continues to lash out at you all with terrible strength; judging by it's clothing it was once a knight, and it seems to have retained the power it once held in life and then some. Haianna's blade manages to sink into its flesh deeply, however, and she seems to hurt it, causing a chunk of flesh in its torso to freeze over and crack. It retaliates, its morningstar wickedly heavy and dangerous.

Map:
1||m|m||||
2||||||E|
3|||t|t|t||
4|||t|t|t||
5|||H|Z|B||
6||W|||S||
7|||||||
8|||||||
[/table]

Rolls:
Damage so far: 17

Attack on Haianna: [roll0]

Just a note; Chaos Devotion only takes a single swift action to begin the minute of use; after that, it's a free action to continue to use it.

Niezck
2011-09-03, 10:40 PM
Reading off the scroll, Wilf causes an aura of white light to engulf Haianna, healing her wounds.

Using my UMD check from last turn! Dunno if you want me to use my CLW roll from last round too... If not - [roll0]

Jopustopin
2011-09-03, 10:44 PM
Sida's begins to move her body in a way that reminds you almost of dancing; her blades spinning around her body leaving frost in its wake and the magic of her dragon song awakening the room and fueling a fire that burns within. However her swings glance off the creatures armor and are otherwise ineffective.

Full attack:
LongswordMain Hand: [roll0]
LongswordOff-Hand: [roll1]

DamageMain Hand: [roll2]
DamageOff Hand: [roll3]

Greenish
2011-09-03, 10:50 PM
Taking advantage of Haianna's distracting attack, Bastion tries to grab a hold of the ancient warrior.

[roll0] to start the grapple, opposed grapple check for [roll1]. Provokes an AoO, but the zombie can't take it due to Douse the Flames.

Needle
2011-09-03, 11:12 PM
“Thanks Wilf” – Shouted Haianna after seeing her wounds being healed. The Zombie chase after her, this time missing – “Heh, it should be done like this” *swings*

If there’s nothing to activate, and seeing that after the CLW nobody is wounded, I’ll attempt Stone Bones as a Maneuver and attack.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1] + [roll2] cold damage

New Manuever Avaiable
{table=head]Manuevers
Charging Minotaur [/table]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-04, 12:46 AM
The bugbear zombie groans as Bastion grabs ahold of it, attempting to twist out of the adamantine grip of the massively built warforged. The rotting flesh of the monster is more pliable than the humanoids Bastion is used to, however, and it manages to force itself from the mighty warrior's grasp, knocking his hands away.

Opposed Grapple: [roll0]

Aw. Sadface.

Circle of Life
2011-09-04, 11:05 AM
"Hey, bugbear! Leave those kids alone!"

The fact that neither Haianna nor Sida are exactly children doesn't seem to have occurred to Erad yet.

Move to D-2, shuriken!

[roll0] for 6 + [roll1] piercing and [roll2] cold.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-04, 12:30 PM
The zombie lashes out at Bastion now, clearly enraged at the attempt to grab it. The only one of you to strike it is Erad, however, and though the small piercing shuriken isn't as effective as a larger, slashing weapon it strikes powerfully, and the cold power of dragons infuses the shot.

Map:
1||m|m||||
2||||E|||
3|||t|t|t||
4|||t|t|t||
5|||H|Z|B||
6||W|||S||
7|||||||
8|||||||
[/table]

Rolls:
Damage to the zombie so far: 26

Attack on Bastion: [roll0]

Greenish
2011-09-04, 12:56 PM
Quickly recovering from the strike, Bastion bellows: "I felt that! You're going down!" The constructs tries to make it's prophecy come true straight away, hooking one of it's legs behind the zombie's leg and pushing with it's shield to unbalance the zombie.

The maneuver keels the zombie over, though it manages to get a swing at Bastion before falling.

Trip attempt: [roll0], opposed Str check [roll1]. Provokes AoO.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-04, 01:13 PM
The zombie clumsily lashes out at Bastion as the powerful warforged attempts to rip it off it's feet, but it doesn't have the strength or skill to resist the attempt to trip it, nor does it manage to actually strike the powerful construct. It falls to its back, not helpless but quite exposed to fists and blades.

AoO: [roll0]

Resist trip: [roll2]

Jopustopin
2011-09-04, 01:16 PM
Sida continues dance and song, a confidence grows in all of you as you realize that regardless of the weapon you wield and the zombie's resistances, the cold that you feel all around you is especially effective on the zombie.

In the confusion of the creatures fall, Sida stumbles in her dance and neither blade lands true.

Full attack:

DamageMain Hand: [roll2] plus [roll3] cold
DamageOff Hand: [roll4] plus [roll5] cold

Circle of Life
2011-09-04, 01:19 PM
Sighing, Erad hops up on the table to get a better angle on the zombie.

Climb up on the table in C-3, move to E-3, shuriken!

Mind that prone creatures get -4 AC vs melee attacks, and +4 AC vs ranged attacks.

Shuriken: [roll0] for 6 + [roll1] piercing, plus [roll2] cold.

Needle
2011-09-04, 07:12 PM
Haianna waited for a little bit for her next attack.

If I can delay my action to strike the guy after Bastion trips it, so be it. If not, I guess I striked it before the trip happened :smalltongue: This turn I’ll use Crusader’s Strike to heal Bastion, as Charging Minotaur needs... well... you know.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1] + [roll2] cold damage

Crusader’s Strike
[roll3] HP to Bastion.

After that, I use my Move Action, making the following path: C6->C7->C8->D8, because I’m so freaking obvious.

New Manuever Avaiable
None. Need to expend the ones I still have readied to get new ones, unless I got it wrong.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-05, 12:43 AM
From its position on the floor the zombie hacks up at Bastion, though the blow is significantly weakened by it's lack of leverage and poor angle. The flurry of blows rained down on it by the others continue to miss until Haianna finally smashes down on it with a forceful blow. As she strikes the monster a warm power fills Bastion; his crushed plates and torn darkwood ligaments don't bother him as much anymore, and he feels reinvigorated. Haianna then darts away, provoking a rebuttal attack by the decayed knight.

As you all throw and slash and smash at the zombie you hear a light giggle filter through the room, though you can't pinpoint the source of the sound. "This really is interesting to watch, you know. I should thank you; I'm doing all of this out of boredom anyway, and you're really livening up my evening. I think I'm going to have fun with you lot."

Map:
1||m|m||||
2|||||||
3|||t|t|E||
4|||t|t|t||
5||||Z|B||
6||W|||S||
7|||||||
8||||H|||
[/table]

Rolls:
Damage to the zombie so far: 39 It's looking pretty haggard and torn.

AoO on Haianna: [roll0]

Attack on Bastion: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

@Haianna: I've almost always seen the ruling that once you have no more maneuvers available to be granted, you are granted a new set. I'm going to hold by that, and it should generally prove to be in your favor.

Jopustopin
2011-09-05, 01:39 AM
Sida's song reaches the coda and she brings both her blades down at the same time in tempo with her song.

Full attack:

DamageMain Hand: [roll2] plus [roll3] cold
DamageOff Hand: [roll4] plus [roll5] cold

RaggedAngel
2011-09-05, 02:08 AM
Sida's longsword comes down, and the icy blade severs the zombie's head from its body. The body writhes for a few moments, and then goes still. The tension and pressure in the room seems to drain away as the undead is deanimated once more. After a moment or two the body begins to crumble, turning to a dusty powder. Its morningstar and shield are so rotten to be nearly unusable, but slung on its back was a beautifully-wrought longsword, the blade covered in a glittering wavy pattern. The masterfully made weapon, it seems, better stood the test of time.

Jopustopin
2011-09-05, 02:17 AM
Sida stops singing with a grin, "How lucky we are to have such capable combatants." She shakes her head suddenly and frost falls from her hair. Then she bends down and picks up the masterwork longsword and examines the blade. "I hope you guys don't mind if I wield this in combat; I need all the help I can get."

Greenish
2011-09-05, 02:27 AM
"It's yours, as far as I'm concerned", the warforged rumbles, "though you might have easier time if you didn't try to swing two of those at the same time."

Niezck
2011-09-05, 02:42 AM
"Allow me a look?"

Assuming Sida passes the sword to Wilf, he handles it in a similar way to the belt earlier before passing it back.

"Eh, boring. Go for it, wield away!"

Effective Artificer Knowledge check, though we know it's only masterwork so I won't bother rolling.

Greenish
2011-09-05, 02:52 AM
Bastion picks up the rotting morningstar from the dead bugbear's grip and walks around the room, poking the magic machinery with it and speaking in conversational tone. "So this your reanimation thingamajig, what's the point? Zombies aren't that difficult to create, and most people don't even need a thunderstorm for it."

RaggedAngel
2011-09-05, 02:59 AM
There is a moment of tense silence, and then the urge to explain clearly gets the best of your host. "Yes, making undead is pretty easy, but it's expensive. Now, this machine was pretty expensive too, I suppose, but it doesn't require fuel other than the lightning that this region is so known for. If you want to drag the hobgoblins in here and use them I wouldn't mind; they thought I was going to help them create a little home base for their band of raiders, and I got them to help me move the heavy pieces."

She speaks long enough for you to tell that her voice is coming from all around you; it seems that she's still using the illusion Wilfred saw through before. "Anyway, I request that you do not mess around in this place; it took forever to get everything set up, and I want to see if I can get the machine to start pumping out more impressive things, like wights and ghouls. Any chance you'll go wait in the vestibule until the storm dies down?" Her tone is faintly sarcastic; as best you can tell she doesn't expect you to listen to her.

Greenish
2011-09-05, 05:36 AM
Bastion prods the nearest piece of the eldritch machine harder. "Your lil' hobgoblins tried to kill us." With voice of deep disapproval, "Without even introducing themselves." Clanking the morning star to his armour-plated chest as a demonstration, the construct adds, "And so did your twice-late test subject. I tend to take that sort of thing personally."

"Then there's this whole 'undead factory' thing. Why couldn't you invite a machine that can make waffles, instead?"

Needle
2011-09-05, 07:19 AM
“A Waffle Golem could be fun!” – added Haianna, as if she were thinking aloud while picking up her shield.

I'll be walking with a Javelin in hand, just in case we are attacked again, and Shield on back so I don't repeat what happened with the Greatsword.

Jopustopin
2011-09-05, 01:18 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

"Well then, I think the obvious thing to do is to make sure she cannot bring the dead back to life. She won't dare try to come out and stop us. A bludgeoning object might be best." Sida says

RaggedAngel
2011-09-05, 01:22 PM
You hear the voice again, and she sounds amused. "Oh, you're going to break it all? What a waste. Ah, well, I can't really blame you. Have fun, you all. I look forward to playing with you all in the future." She goes silent.

Niezck
2011-09-05, 01:28 PM
With the battle over, Wilf inspects the machine carefully, checking each and every part of it for magic as he goes.

"Fascinating..."

Engrossed in his inspection, he almost doesn't notice Bastion poking the machinery with the morningstar. As he does though, he rushes toward the warforged and tries his best to push away the morningstar.

"What are you doing!? No! Stop hitting it! Agh!"

Satisfied he's made his point, the human once more draws upon his knowledge and continues inspecting the machinery, completely ignoring the illusory artificer.

"This... Shouldn't work?"

Speaking aloud to nobody in particular, he continues.

"It's complicated, I'll give it that, and very well-made... But it shouldn't work? There's vital parts missing all over the place... How... How is this working?"

With Sida's suggestion he exclaims once more, rushing over to her and waving his hands in a mix between excitement at the machine and dismay at the group's proposal to destroy it.

"What!? No! Don't do that! Maybe I can use some of this later! Destroying it serves no purpose! It shouldn't even work anyway, I'm not entirely sure why it did, it's clearly half complete, but there we are. Anyway, no, can't destroy it, terrible waste! That machine over there's only a few bits of magic and metal short of our good friend Bastion here!"

A pause.

"No offence."

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:21 AM
"None taken." Bastion pauses for a moment to contemplate. "Can you tell whether the machine really is for making undead? She may have been bluffing with the whole reanimation show."

Niezck
2011-09-06, 07:39 AM
Following the route of the machine with his eyes, Wilf notices it feed out of the room and into the previous corridors.

"Hmm, perhaps I was wrong... Seems it should work, provided it leads to what I think it leads to."

As he says the last part he points up toward the ceiling where the pipes lead out of the room.

Needle
2011-09-06, 10:51 AM
“You mean, she is using the storm like those scientists from children’s book?”

Niezck
2011-09-06, 11:05 AM
"As some kind of power source I'd guess... This technology is way beyond me, but I can guess the gist of it. Maybe one day I'll be able to build something like this... Not that makes zombies, of course, but similarly complex!"

Going a bit red, Wilf realises he's ranting.

"Anyway, yeah, if we can explore this place a bit more maybe I can figure out how it's working."

Greenish
2011-09-06, 01:34 PM
"Yes, we can decide what to do with the machine later." Bastion gives the machinery one last poke before tossing the rotting weapon away. "It's not going to go anywhere."

With that, the warforged starts walking back the way the party came.

When we pass the room with the dead hobgoblins, I'm going to take their swords and scabbards and stuff them into my backpack. Waste not, want not. :smalltongue:

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 01:51 PM
As Bastion walk out of the room he notices that the small hallway they passed by to get to the zombie's room has a room at the end of it, and it was also the direction that the artificer's illusion ran down.

At the end of this hallway is a small chamber whose wooden door lies on the floor. The smell of dust pervades the air, and the sound of thunder is muted here. Numerous body-shaped lumps are visible through the doorway, each wrapped carefully in layers of grey thread like woven mummies.

Circle of Life
2011-09-06, 02:07 PM
Cheery place," Erad mutters, looking down the hall. "I suppose that's where the rest of her 'experiments' were to come from. I'm not much for the smell of death, but you all can check it out if you're so inclined."

Contrary to the above, Erad will follow along if the party decides to investigate the... whatever the heck kind of room that is. Don't split the party and all that.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 03:29 PM
OOC: Just a note; I'm only describing what you can see from the main hallway when you look down the side hall. If you actually want to enter the side hallway, just say so.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 04:36 PM
"Or maybe she has already animated the rest of them." Bastion's gravelly voice has humour in it. "Only one way to find out." Holding the lamp high, the constructs steps into the burial chamber."

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 04:47 PM
Greenish:
Make a Spot check.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:30 PM
Here goes... [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 05:49 PM
Bastion walks down the hallway first, and he makes it though the small cobwebs littering the hallway without much problem, the powerful warforged not bothered by little bugs like humanoids would be.

He is, however, bothered by the very large, strong, and nearly invisible web spun across the hallway in the doorway at it's end. He's caught in the unnaturally sticky and strong net, and as he struggles an extremely large spider crawls down from the ceiling. It suddenly becomes very clear where the mummified bodies came from.

I rolled Init in RL to save us a bit of time; if you would prefer to roll in the OOC instead, let me know, but I don't think it should be a problem. You win, so after the surprise round it will be your go.

The Spider bites at Bastion, to little avail:
Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + Poison that you're immune to.

Bastion is entangled, and can break free either by attacking the web with a light or natural weapon or with a Str check.

Map:
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_
1|||||E|W|S|H||B|s
[/table]

I put you in a more or less random order, with the ranged-folk in the back. The room is beyond the spider, it's 15x15, and it has no entrances or exits other than this door.

Circle of Life
2011-09-06, 05:52 PM
"Hey, down in front!" Erad shouts, scrambling up the walls just high enough to fling a shuriken over the shoulders of the tallfolk.

Poison masterwork shuriken, fling!

[roll0] for 6 damage and a fort save vs sassone leaf residue. Sadly, soft cover applies since everyone is in the way. Such is life.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:56 PM
"Bugger off, I'm not edible." Bastion tries to shoo the spider away and break free from the web.

[roll0] to break free.

Niezck
2011-09-06, 06:07 PM
"Uh oh..."

Loading a bolt, Wilf fires at the spider.

[roll0] (-4 for shooting into combat)
[roll1]

As with Erad, soft cover applies.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 06:09 PM
Erad's poisoned shuriken flies off past the spider, his aim excellent but thrown off by all the fleshy bodies in the way. Bastion, however, has far more luck, the overbuilt warforged ripping through the spider's web like, well, a warforged ripping through a spider's web. Wilf's then fires, but his bolt is as wild as Erad's.

I was wondering why this fight was hard until I realized that the hallway was only 5 feet wide. I didn't think the location would have this much effect, but man is it fun to watch. :smallamused:

Jopustopin
2011-09-06, 06:20 PM
Sida moves to I1 and finishes her turn.

Needle
2011-09-06, 07:11 PM
“Aaaah, I’m too far” – Haianna screams somewhat unhappy, but anyways throws her Javelin as well as she can.

Guess I need to spend a Swift Action again to activate this:

Chaos Devotion
[roll0]

Odd + 1 Attack Roll; Even +1 AC

And then go Javelin. I see no point in spending the maneuvers I got tough, so just the rolls are coming.

Attack Roll
[roll1]

Damage Roll
[roll2]

New Maneuver Available
{table=head]Maneuvers
Vanguard Strike
Charging Minotaur
Stone Bones [/table]

[roll3]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 07:23 PM
The group lets out a storm of attacks against the monstrous spider, but the cramped hallway and nasty conditions prevent anyone from actually hitting it. The spider screeches horribly, and then sprays Bastion with a web, giving the warforged a split second to lash out at it, but covering the powerful metal warrior in sticky goo. It's aim is off, however, and the majority of the gunk splashes on the wall next to Bastion, leaving only its torso coated in sticky white webbing.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
You're entangled in the same web as before if it hits.

Greenish:Would you like me to refer to Bastion as 'it' or 'he'?

Map:
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_
1|||||E|W||H|S|B|s
[/table]

Niezck
2011-09-06, 07:28 PM
Wilf looses another bolt, hoping for the best.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Yaaaaaay, nat 1 on a -1 roll! :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-09-06, 07:35 PM
Bastion moves with uncustomary haste, barely evading the webbing, then moves to push the spider back to the room.

[roll0] vs. spider's Str+4 check. Pushes it back 5' and 5' more by every 5 Bastion's result is over the spider's.

Bastion's an "it", but I don't mind any pronoun.

[Edit]: The bull rush provokes an AoO.

Circle of Life
2011-09-06, 07:42 PM
"Next time, we find a wider hallway."

Poison shuriken, fling!

[roll0] for 6 damage and a fort save vs sassone leaf residue. Soft cover applies.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 07:44 PM
The spider screeches, and though its eight legs give it more resistance than most creatures of its size would have against Bastion's powerful push, and it holds its ground, the shocking power behind it's legs throwing Bastion back a few feet, the warforged still partially covered in goo.

AoO: [roll0]

Str: [roll2]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 07:49 PM
The shuriken manages to cut deeply into the arachnid's body, letting out a spray of blood, some of which gets on Bastion. The warforged, while unharmed, now looks and smells almost as bad as the zombie you just defeated.

Fort: [roll0]

If it's less than 16, it'll take [roll1] damage. EDIT- Tough luck, that was a great damage roll. Eh, maybe the secondary save will kill it, if it's somehow still alive in 10 rounds.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 08:02 PM
"This is not going exactly as I envisioned", the blood- and goo-covered warforged drily remarks.

Needle
2011-09-06, 08:41 PM
“Too... cramped here” – Haianna draws her other Javelin and attempt the same move as before.

And I’ll also expend Douse the Flame.

Attack Roll
[roll0]

Damage Roll
[roll1]

New Maneuver Available
{table=head]Maneuvers
Vanguard Strike
Charging Minotaur[/table]

[roll2]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 09:20 PM
The javelin follows the path of the shuriken, and the heavy metal pole is enough to kill the spider. It screeches one final time before curling in on itself, foaming poison at the mouth. The room beyond is filled with bodies, though one or two of the cocoons are open enough to let you see that the bodies are still clothed; they may have gear or other items on them, if you choose to search them.

Circle of Life
2011-09-06, 09:24 PM
"Eugh. I am not touching those. If you lot want to play graverobber, that's up to you. I'll be back here, trying to pretend I didn't just see a spider as big as I am." Erad shudders, looking back down the hallway hopefully. "Just... just be quick about it."

Jopustopin
2011-09-06, 09:45 PM
Sida nods in agreement. "Still, I'd hate it if we missed something magical." Sida waves her hands around her face and speaks aloud a magical incantation. She begins to slowly move forward until she's sure that nothing magical is in the room.

Sida cast detect magic. And looks around the room without touching anything.

Needle
2011-09-06, 10:05 PM
“uguu... my weapons might be super stic...” – but after finishing her phrase, Haianna notice the state Bastion is in – “waa! You’re smelly, do you have... something to at least put that web off you?” – She asked, as giving some kind of condolences.

I will *try to* grab my Javelins, being as careful as possible to not interrupt Sida's Detect Magic or any other looter.

Also, a general Spot Check to the corridor, how deep it is, if there’s something that catches Haianna’s eye, maybe Low-Light Vision will be useful in this situation like for the first time in years, seeing there’s no Darkvision around :smalleek:

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-06, 10:16 PM
A general glance around the room shows that it is indeed about fifteen feet by fifteen, and the eight bodies piled up all seem to be quite dry and mummified by the spider.

@Sida:
As Sida looks around the room, she sees a small trinket on the floor light up. If she picks it up she'll see that it's a small silver amulet of intricate design, seemingly woven out of silver thread, though it feels quite solid. In the center is set a single diamond, and there small diamonds are set around the central one. It radiates a faint aura of Universal magic.

@Everybody:
Just as a note, you guys have missed about 150gp worth of loot due to a complete lack of Search checks. You may want to, you know, start searching things. Wilfred, I'm lookin' at you, since you're the only one with a Search mod to speak of.

Niezck
2011-09-06, 10:19 PM
Poking around the room with his crossbow, Wilf holds an almost constant grimace at the horror of it all.

"Uck..."

[roll0] Search

I was just about to when you posted!

EDIT: Yay my crappy rolls! Could I take 20 or something actually? >_>

Jopustopin
2011-09-06, 11:46 PM
Curiosity gets the better of Sida and she begins to tinker with the object. (She presses the diamond).

RaggedAngel
2011-09-07, 12:26 AM
The amulet makes a distinct click, though Sida can tell that there is no actual change in the object. She feels a strange tingle all over; the same feeling she gets when casting a spell, but a thousand times weaker. It's the feeling of possibility, of potential, of change, of magic.

It's Prestidigitation. As much Prestidigitation as you could ever want or need.

I can't access her sheet right now, but if she doesn't have Prestidigitation she has to make a Spellcraft check to know what the effect is precisely. Anyone watching can make a Spellcraft check if she actually uses the spell.

Greenish
2011-09-07, 03:47 AM
Bastion holds up the lamp to light the room while others buzz around the room. "Someone mentioned something about cleaning. I could use some." Giving the spider's corpse a kick, the towering construct adds, "If anyone asks, the spider was the size of a dray horse, if not a bull elephant."

Jopustopin
2011-09-07, 11:43 AM
Sida gives Bastion the amulet. "Here you go, you can clean yourself with this amulet. I already can cast that spell, so it's wasted on me."

Greenish
2011-09-07, 12:30 PM
"Thank you. Uh, how does this work?" Bastion gingerly dangles the amulet by it's chain between it's thumb and forefinger.

Jopustopin
2011-09-08, 12:24 AM
Sida shows Bastion how to use it.

Niezck
2011-09-08, 05:13 AM
As the amulet activates, Wilf smiles.

"Fascinating! What a wonderful little trinket! Shall we continue?"

Greenish
2011-09-08, 07:38 AM
"That's better," the shiningly clean warforged says. "Yes, we should push on. I heard there was supposed to be trouble behind the left door from the entrance. Let us find out."

Lantern raised, greatcloak cleaner than it has been for years, Bastion takes the lead.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 01:10 PM
As you head back to the main room, you noticed that the hobgoblin's bodies have been composed; that is to say, they are no longer crumpled on the ground where you left them, but are instead laid out next to each other, their dead eyes closed and their arms by their sides.

If you continue on to the main room you see that the rat's corpses have received no such treatment, being right where you left them. Traveling on to the room to the left side of the massive entrance, Bastion steps through the door, wary and alert, the rest of the party close behind him.

The only object of interest in this chamber is a statue at the far end. It resembles a sarcophagus standing upright, except that the head of the figure carved upon its lid looks distorted and seems to have tendrils instead of hair. A pair of batlike wings extends from its temples. Suddenly, its eyes open, revealing the glow of green flames, and the head flies forward to attack!

Roll Inits, Spots, and Knowledges in the OOC; this is a bit less straightforward of a foe than the spider.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 03:45 PM
The hideous head flaps in a little circle, enough to stay aloft but not wide enough to bring it near any of you. It suddenly lets out a horrible, hideous shriek, the piercing sound reaching inside your head and ringing through your thoughts.

Map:
{table=head]_|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_|L_
1||||||||x|x|x|x|x
2|S|S||||||x|x|x|x|x
3|S|S||||||x|x|x|x|x
4|||||V|||x|x|x|x|x
5||||||||x|x|x|x|x
6||||||||B|E|||
7||||||||H|S|W||
8||||||||x|x|x|x|x
9||||||||x|x|x|x|x
[/table]

Saves:
I'm rollin' um here, so that we know who's paralyzed with fear and who isn't.

DC 12, if you fail you're paralyzed for 2d4 rounds.
Bastion: [roll0] [roll1]
Wilfred: [roll2] [roll3]
Erad: [roll4] [roll5]
Haianna: [roll6] [roll7]
Sida: [roll8] [roll9]

EDIT- Woah, you all made it. I don't expect this guy to live the round.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 03:50 PM
Bastion wastes no time to rush the screaming head, swinging it's arm in a great arc to bat the shrieker.

Charge! [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 03:52 PM
Bastion's mighty arm swings down on the shrieking head, and he crushes the devil inside into a gooey, bloody paste.

Dammit, it took me 15 minutes to draw that map.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 03:56 PM
The warforged turns back to the rest of the party, the amulet's magic already working to remove the devil-goo from it's arm and sleeve. "So, what was that?"

Circle of Life
2011-09-08, 04:06 PM
Erad pauses with a hand halfway to his vest, blinking in surprise.

"I didn't think 'forged could move that fast..." He sounds slightly disgruntled, rather than amazed.

Niezck
2011-09-08, 04:17 PM
"Bastion.. You are truly a fine specimen..."

A mix of worried at the power of the warforged and impressed with the craftsmanship that clearly went into his production, Wilf stumbles into the room to look around.

[roll0] search!

Jopustopin
2011-09-08, 04:48 PM
Sida shouts at the beginning of combat, "Watch out for its s..." but she doesn't have time to finish before it screeches and then gets killed by a slam attack.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 04:55 PM
Wilfred finds nothing but a fine layer of dust on the ground, but he does notice a few tubes traveling along the ceiling that lead to the sarcophagus. When he opens the front of the sarcophagus, after checking it for traps, he finds that the body is filled with tubes, pistons, and minor arcane constructions. This is clearly a part of the same machine that animated the zombie.

Not able to do anything with the machine, Wilfred searches the rest of the sarcophagus, and finds that within the head-groove of the now-headless sarcophagus is nothing but dust, a small ring, and a single silver piece.

Niezck
2011-09-08, 05:00 PM
Rubbing the ring, Wilfred searches his memories and experience for anything similar and magical in nature.

[roll0] DC 15 check as usual. I really need to get an Artificer's Monocle >_>

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 05:04 PM
Wilfred:He can tell that it's magic, and because I'm nice and he got a good roll I'll tell you it has a faint divination aura.

Niezck
2011-09-08, 05:47 PM
"Iiiinteresting..."

Wilf slips the ring on and shuts his eyes.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 11:38 PM
Wilfred:You feel like for every word in your head there are now two more, just as good. One set of words is harsh and vicious, sounding of violence and death, whereas the other set sounds very similar to the primitive tongue you heard the hobgoblins speaking earlier.

Niezck
2011-09-09, 03:37 AM
"Telepathic language conversion... Fascinating..."

Opening his eyes cautiously, Wilf looks down at the ring then back at the others.

"Seems this handy little ring translates things to two other languages - one presumably hobgoblin and the other I've no idea about. Could come in handy if we meet any more hobgoblins!"

Jopustopin
2011-09-09, 07:13 PM
"I think there is one last door... shall we?" Sida says. "Also Wilfred, you better do all your investigation. I'm destroying any undead creating artifacts I find before I go."

Greenish
2011-09-09, 08:48 PM
Bastion nods and leads the way to the last unexplored parts of the dungeon.

Needle
2011-09-09, 11:56 PM
Haianna agreed to Sida, and started walking a bit behind Bastion. – “So... where will everyone go after this is over?” – She asked, wondering if the storm ended.

Greenish
2011-09-10, 12:04 PM
"I've been wandering around, trying to find a blacksmith who'd take me as an apprentice." Bastion says over his shoulder. "No luck so far."

Jopustopin
2011-09-10, 12:07 PM
"Blacksmith? Don't you know there is more profit in being an adventurer? Sida says nonchalantly.

Niezck
2011-09-10, 12:14 PM
"Psh, blacksmiths! Blacksmiths are like children with a favourite toy hammer!"

Greenish
2011-09-10, 02:49 PM
Bastion shrugs. "I don't need much to live, and it's something I'm decent at." After a while, the warforged adds, "And it helps me understand myself." It raises it's hand and flexes it's metal-and-darkwood fingers slowly.

Needle
2011-09-10, 04:15 PM
“But that would lead you to a booooring life. Isn’t it better to wander a bit to see how far you could go? By what I saw this night, you’re good.” – Said Haianna, trying to sound convincing.

Greenish
2011-09-10, 06:35 PM
"What do you wandering adventurers do, then?" Bastion waves his hand vaguely to indicate the ancient tomb you're in. "This?"

Jopustopin
2011-09-10, 11:48 PM
"Not just this. We play the part in stories that keep us alive well beyond our time here. Children sit at home hearing the tales of Bastion the Bold and Erad the Radical as they rooted out a terrible dragon who has been plaguing the country side for years. Cities and countries praise you for your heroics. Your journies send you into tombs unexplored for thousands of years on a quest, finding magical artifacts lost to time. You are invited to all the most important social events, perform in front of thousands, attract young followers inspired by your deeds, or any number of untold opportunities. Most people when they die are attended to by their families. When heroes die, all the civilized world mourns. Now, I'm not saying that I'm an adventurer or a hero. I am just a bard; who is looking for an adventurer or a hero. I don't think you were destined to be a blacksmith Bastion. Think about it.

While Sida speaks you can tell she has a lot of passion about the subject. She ends her speech very matter-of-fact.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-11, 02:18 AM
Sida's speech ends as the group approaches the final unopened room, a barren one, empty except for a single stone chest built into the center of the floor and some cobwebs. It seems that no one has been in this room for a hundred years.

Ignoring, of course, the hulking piles of machinery in both of the room's far corners. These final pieces, Wilfred can tell, almost complete the design of the reanimation machine, though it is still missing something vague and vital. Upon actually entering the room nothing jumps out at the group, magical or monstrous. There is nothing but the inert machine and the tantalizing chest.

Circle of Life
2011-09-11, 11:49 AM
"I'm not saying that we shouldn't open that, only that it seems really suspicious. Anyone got a good eye for poisoned latches or such?"

Oh man, a chest! I'm sure it's perfectly safe. It makes sense to leave a full chest untrapped and unguarded, after all. :smallamused:

Greenish
2011-09-11, 02:09 PM
Bastion nods thoughtfully to Sida's words, then changes the topic. "Well, this is refreshing. Nothing trying to kill us." After hearing Erad's comment, "Never that easy, eh?"

RaggedAngel
2011-09-11, 04:14 PM
The stone chest sits there in the middle of the floor, the lid clearly unlocked. The stonework was quite fancy, once, but time and leaking water has eroded the intricately engraved stone. On some places you can see the hint of faded paint, and you realize that the chest may have once been quite the work of art.

Tempt-tempt. You know you just want to open it up. Or, you know, Wilfred could Search for traps. One of those two things.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-12, 08:32 AM
Wilfred carefully moves forward, checking the floor beneath and around him as he goes. When he reaches the chest he inspects it carefully before easing the lid open a half an inch. He peers under the lid to see a stretched wire extending between the lid and the main chest, and an arrow pointed at his eye. He manages to freeze in place, having just noticed the trap in time.

Disable Device me up, Niezck.

Niezck
2011-09-12, 10:58 AM
"****."

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-09-12, 12:31 PM
Wilfred uses his mastery of engineering and mechanical skill with incredible precision, defeating the trap in an extremely complicated and obscure way: he cuts the wire. Easing the lid open, he finds that most of the chest is taken up by a trap designed to fire a fusillade of darts around the chest when opened. Inside the chest are two pearls, a bag of coins, and a well-made headband that seems to have ignored the effects of time. The coins are of an old denomination, but not too old for you to be unable to tell that they're worth about one hundred of the current standard gold pieces.

Niezck
2011-09-12, 12:36 PM
While his disabling of the trap is simple, Wilfred spends much time pondering it and trying to make it look as complicated as possible.

"It's safe!"

That done, he ignores the "regular" items and picks up the headband, concentrating for a moment.

[roll0] You know the drill!

RaggedAngel
2011-09-12, 12:39 PM
@Wilf:The headband is faintly magical, the woven dark-red cloth giving off minor glimmers of abjuration magic.

Niezck
2011-09-12, 12:43 PM
Mumbling, Wilf ponders his find.

"Hmm... Protective magic... Only minor, mind, definitely there though... "

His volume increases.

"Anybody for a little magical headband testing? It's harmless, honest!"

Jopustopin
2011-09-12, 12:52 PM
"Cool headband. Lots of nifty accessory pieces in this place. I don't like the color much. So, I'll pass. The coins however need splitting." Sida picks up a pearl and tries to imagine it on her finger and then her ear.

She will attempt to appraise the pearls.

Niezck
2011-09-13, 06:34 AM
Pondering for a moment, Wilf's expression changes from one of deep thought to one of determination. With that, he puts the headband on and shuts his eyes as he did with the ring.

"Eh, why not."

RaggedAngel
2011-09-13, 10:12 AM
@Wilf:You don't feel like much has changed. Your head feels a bit more clear, perhaps, but not in a way that makes you think faster or anything useful like that.

(+1 Will saves)
Wilfred puts the headband on, and nothing much happens. While you all wait with bated breath for him to try it on, however, you all realize something; you haven't heard any thunder or lightning for several minutes. Even though you're near the entrance, you can't hear the storm at all.

Greenish
2011-09-13, 10:14 AM
Bastion shakes it's head at Wilfred's empirical method. "That is going to get you killed, or worse, one day."

Niezck
2011-09-13, 10:52 AM
"Huh... No real change. Seems the storm stopped too... Shall we go check?"

Jopustopin
2011-09-13, 11:49 AM
"Wilf, better take those notes on the machine soon. It sounds like it's going to be forcibly dissembled soon." Sida says when she notices the storm has stopped.

Circle of Life
2011-09-14, 12:45 PM
"Well I for one cannot wait to be rid of this place. Eugh." Erad mutters under his breath as he heads back to the entrance of the tor, to check that the storm truly has passed.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-14, 12:53 PM
When Erad arrives in the main entrance room he finds that the storm outside has indeed quieted. It is currently raining lightly outside, but there are enough gaps in the clouds to show that it is night time, the stars twinkling softly in the great celestial dome. The wind over the hills blows into the tor, cool and wet, and the smell of rain and grass overtakes the smell of blood and death for a moment, giving you a fresh feeling of peace and life.

Niezck
2011-09-14, 12:57 PM
Wilf follows, looking back at Bastion to ensure he isn't going off to the main machine chamber.

"Huh, cool. So where are you all going off to now?"

Greenish
2011-09-14, 01:07 PM
Bastion unbuckles the shield from it's arm and tosses it aside. "I was on my way to a town which should be nearby. 'Reed's Hill' was the name I was told. After that…" The construct shrugs.

Needle
2011-09-14, 04:00 PM
“After that we could spend some time in the city looking for some adventurer’s action” – Said Haianna, while remembering – “or information about that woman we met, I guess she will remember Erad for a while~”

Jopustopin
2011-09-14, 04:05 PM
"Who is going to help me dismantle the machine that animates the dead?" Sida asks the group.

Jopustopin
2011-09-16, 09:55 AM
After the long silence fills the air it's obvious that Sida isn't going to get any help from these people whom she just met. With a sigh she moves away from the group and looks at the machinery in one of the rooms and begins to figure out the best way to destroy it.

Niezck
2011-09-16, 11:23 AM
"Ah! Wait! No! Don't! Ah!"

Wilf runs after Sida, waving his hands wildly.

Sorry, been uber busy with college etc

RaggedAngel
2011-09-16, 11:47 AM
As best as you can all tell, mostly due to Wilfred's explanation, the machine is divided into three parts, the largest in the animation chamber, and two smaller subsidiary sections in the two chambers off of the antechamber. Wilfred gets the nagging feeling, however, that something is still missing; the power source.

Niezck
2011-09-18, 02:40 PM
"Hmmm..."

Pondering the machine, hoping desperately that Sida doesn't destroy it, Wilf's mind drifts back to the rope going straight up and out of the tor.

"I think... Sida, come here a second please. See that rope? I think what's at the top of that's integral to the functioning of the machine. Take that out, it ceases to function, but I can still study it. Mind going up and checking?"

Jopustopin
2011-09-19, 02:15 PM
Sida will take 10 climbing up the rope.

Climb result = 10.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-19, 07:13 PM
Sida attempts to get up the rope, taking her time with her approach, but she finds herself unable to haul herself up. It seems she'll either have to make a hastier go at it, or someone else will have to climb up.

Swing and a miss on the Climb check, sorry. It's not knotted an it's too far from the walls to use them.

Jopustopin
2011-09-19, 07:15 PM
Sida looks actually embarrassed when she can't haul herself up the rope. She adjust her chain shirt and nonverbally communicates that it's it's fault. She looks down at Wilf, "Want to show me how it's done?"

Niezck
2011-09-21, 12:06 PM
Looking equally embarassed as Sida, Wilf edges away and shakes his head.

"I'm... I'm not great at climbing.["

RaggedAngel
2011-09-21, 12:19 PM
You hear a voice echo down the shaft; it's the artificer from before, and she sounds annoyed. "Dammit. Really?" The rope slowly begins to retract, and after a half a minute it vanishes into the dark upper region of the shaft. "This is going to take me a minute. Hold on." There is an extremely awkward silence for a minute or so. Finally the rope tumbles back down the shaft, knotted every five feet or so. "You, artificer. You really call yourself one of us? I'm ashamed. Make the damn rope a 'skill item.' It's a first level infusion, and if you can't pull that off then I heavily overestimated you guys."

This is not a trap.

...kinda. (http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif)

Greenish
2011-09-21, 05:47 PM
Bastion eyes the rope suspiciously, then peers up the shaft and asks "You wouldn't happen to have a rope ladder there? Or a proper ladder?"

RaggedAngel
2011-09-21, 06:46 PM
You can almost hear her roll her eyes. Almost. "No, I don't have a rope ladder. Just give it a shot, or don't, I don't really care. The storm's quite now, and you all are clearly going to destroy my machine. That kind of sucks, but I'll build better things in the future, and this was a good learning experience." There's a pause. "Anyway, I'm going to leave now. There's a bunch of gold and magic items and kittens up here, so you can take those or leave them. Your call."

SUPERLEGIT BLUFF: [roll0]

Greenish
2011-09-26, 12:34 PM
"I don't think she's quite sane, but the climb should be safe." Bastion motions towards the rope. "Shall we?"

Jopustopin
2011-09-26, 03:00 PM
Sida nods at Bastion with a look that says "After you."

Greenish
2011-09-29, 07:54 AM
The massive construct shrugs, then takes the handle of the lantern into it's jaws and begins climbing up the dangling rope.

Taking 10 on Climb for the result of 8. Swift action to invest my sole point of essentia into Rageclaws.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-29, 11:11 AM
The rope creaks and strains under Bastion's weight, but it seems more than sturdy enough to support the massive construct as he carefully ascends into the tower. He pulls himself up, arm over arm, the thick knots in the rope giving him something to brace his feet against. After about a minute he reaches the shadowy top of the tower, and he goes out of sight from the rest of the party. You can still hear him, however, and there are no sounds of conflict. After a minute or two all goes quiet, then you hear him walking around again.

Bastion:
As you ascend the rope into the darkened shaft you can see that the rope leads to the ceiling of a small room at the top of the hill you've spent the last day inside. There is a candle burning in the room, set off to one side, and next to the candle is a letter. If you climb up into the room you'll find it completely empty; just four walls, two of which have large broken sections that open out to the hill outside. The storm is definitely over, but it is still the depths of night.

You hear a whisper of wind right next to your head, and then the artificer's voice appears, sounding as if she was right next to you. She is not, however, and no matter how closely you search the room you won't find her. "Hey there, big fella. I look forward to taking you apart and putting you back together, to see what makes you tick. You've clearly got some highly nonstandard modifications, and that always gets me excited. Anyway, more on that later. See that envelope down there? You should take that to a guy named Sionaas. He's a wizard-y guy, he's been building a dungeon out in the hinterlands. He'll know what it means.

Anyway, think of this as a return for you guys breaking my machine. Tell that little artificer with you that he better either come work for me or learn quickly if he wants to survive. I don't tolerate much competition. Anyway, the Whispering Wind is running low, and I don't want to use another charge. Have a nice night, 'forged."

Looking around the room you'll eventually notice that two copper strips come up out of the tunnel you climbed up and lead to the roof. The bulk of the machinery up here is on the ceiling, and there is clearly more on top of the building to catch the lightning. Right at the center of it all, however, is a single bright red stone, red like blood, and the size of a human's palm. It's practically begging to be removed and looted.

Greenish
2011-09-29, 12:01 PM
Bastion bellows down into the shaft to it's companions waiting in the darkness: "ALL CLEAR!"

Jopustopin
2011-09-30, 02:22 PM
Sida will take 10 climbing up the rope.

Niezck
2011-09-30, 04:33 PM
Wilf coughs nervously.

"I'll uh... Be up later. Got some stuff down here to check out with that machine."

RaggedAngel
2011-10-01, 05:38 PM
Sida comes up to find a very contemplative Bastion and the machine on the ceiling. The machine is large and very complicated, and there are clearly more components on top of the small room/building you're in right now. Right at the center of it all, however, is a single bright red stone, red like blood, and the size of a human's palm. Sida can see that the storm has stopped, and the air smells fresh and clean. It's still dark outside, and the stars haven't started to poke through the clouds yet. The moon is visible, however, and its pale light streams through one of the large openings in the side of the room.

Jopustopin
2011-10-01, 09:53 PM
Sida stares at the moon for a while with a smile than looks mischievously at Bastion. "It's so romantic up here. Care to dance?"

Greenish
2011-10-02, 08:33 AM
Bastion very carefully nudges the envelope on the floor with it's foot, as if expecting it to explode at any moment, and distractedly mutters a reply to Sida. "I don't know how."

Jopustopin
2011-10-02, 01:19 PM
Sida picks up the note and reads it while muttering "Typical boy" and begins reading it.

Greenish
2011-10-02, 02:31 PM
"I was manufactured less than a decade ago to wage war. Forgive me, but I haven't had time to pick up many other skills." Bastion states while backing away from Sida, still expecting the letter to explode.

Jopustopin
2011-10-02, 07:13 PM
Sida looks at the envelope carefully and puts it into her backpack. Then she begins to carefully look around the room (taking 20).

RaggedAngel
2011-10-11, 12:29 AM
Other than the envelope, Sida and Bastion find nothing of interest in the tower other than a few strands of long, silky black hair that Sida finds caught on a bit of metal in one of the large window-doors. Sida and Bastion together manage to crush obviously critical components of the machine; even without any real technical knowledge it is obvious that the crystal in the center is the focal point of the device, and the trappings and tubing around it is easily destroyed. With but few words exchanged the two of them descend the carefully tied rope, contemplative on what they have heard and read.

Once they reach the bottom Sida reads the note to the rest of the group. It reads, "Do Not Open" on the front in graceful calligraphy, and so naturally you all tear into it. Inside is a second, smaller envelope and a slip of parchment that reads "Seriously, just be good pawns and take this to Sionaas. He's a wizard, lives in the mountains, pretty famous." Undeterred and unconcerned about the feelings of the artificer, you open the internal letter, which contains two pieces of parchment. One of them reads, "Good job, you're not complete tools; now then, on to business. There'll be a reward if you bring him the other sheet there, the one with my mark." The other sheet of paper has nothing but an extremely intricate and oddly colored mark, seemingly ingrained into the parchment. Wilfred recognizes it as an Arcane Mark, presumably the artificer's, though there's no way to tell for sure.

You all wait out the night, healing and resting cautiously, and when day breaks it's bright and beautiful, the storm of the past day gone. The air is cool and fresh, and the landscape seem to be refreshed in the wake of the storm. You hear birds in the trees and the sound of gurgling water, a stark juxtaposition to the atmosphere of the night before. The lot of you head down the path to the closest town, Reed's Hill, which is about a half-day's walk. You pass the day with idle conversation, and after a few short hours you arrive.

I have a few things that are going to happen, but you now have a chance for a bit of shopping/rp. Remember, this is a dinky hamlet, so they don't have overmuch. Nothing magical except for a few potions and scrolls made by the town's sole Adept.

Greenish
2011-10-18, 09:58 AM
"Here we are. We should sell this stuff and split the profits." The warforged shakes the sack with hobgoblins' arms and armour. "I'm not too good at haggling with the merchants, though."

RaggedAngel
2011-10-18, 11:14 AM
Looking around on Main Street, which also happens to be the only street, you can see a single small tavern, a few homes, a town hall, and a few merchant's shops. Everything is small and quaint, but it seems that the residents of the town take pride in a clean and honest living. Your group gets a few odd looks, but everyone but the smallest children has seen weirder, and you're left to your own devices. The shops include a general store, a blacksmith, a leatherworker, and an apothecary.

Niezck
2011-10-18, 11:28 AM
"Agreed. But what of the magical trinkets? I could certainly... find a use for them later on, should we perhaps require more useful items in our next venture."

Jopustopin
2011-10-18, 11:34 AM
Sida walks through town greeting villagers and putting smiles on small children's faces (and quite a few men). When not putting on a show she walks with with her arm through Bastions as if he were escorting her through town.

"I'll deal with the merchants. I always get the best deals. Although, I'd hate to part with this beautiful longsword."

Greenish
2011-10-18, 02:33 PM
"I think we keep the magic stuff for now, since we'll be traveling together for a while." Bastion rumbles to Wilfred, the shrugs to Sida. "If you need it, keep it."

Niezck
2011-10-23, 10:45 PM
"Alright, agreed. Bastion, shall we wait in the tavern whilst Sida sells the items?"

RaggedAngel
2011-10-27, 12:54 AM
After an hour or so of dealing with the few merchants and shops in the small town Sida, Haianna, and Erad return to the dinky tavern that Wilfred and Bastion had settled down in with a massive fortune, at least when compared to the amount of money any of them had seen before. Between the hobgoblin's gear, the pearls, and the coins the group had managed to collect 610 gold pieces. Wilfred and Bastion had struck up a conversation with the barkeeper in the meantime, as there were next to no patrons in the tavern in the middle of the day.

The dust had barely settled from the door closing when a ruckus began outside, starting off in the distance and growing louder quickly. It seemed that a great many people were upset about something, enough so to come in from their fields in the middle of the workday. Hurrying outside, you find yourself confronted with an uncomfortable sight; a lone hobgoblin standing in the middle of a large circle of humans, enough to make it seem like every single inhabitant of Reed's Hill was included in the mob. The people were yelling and jeering at the hobgoblin, but no one had yet managed to work up the nerve to attack him; the hobgoblin had a long, glittering rapier in his hands, and the most the crowd was doing at the present was lobbing rotten fruit and other bits of trash at him.

Moving closer, you manage to hear the hobgoblin speak, in surprisingly unaccented Common. "Dammit, people, I'm just passing through. I don't know or care what problem's you've had with locals, but I've had nothing to do with them. Leave me be, damn you!" This condemnation only serves to incite the crowd further, however, and you see a man in long, flowing white robes step forward. His adornments are shabby compared to the clerics found in larger cities, but here he seems to almost glow with authority.

"We care not for your lies, wretch. You will tell us the location of your foul compatriots, or you will die for your sins." As he speaks another man comes forward, a small fellow dressed in muted brown, and he murmurs something in the clerics ear. The holy man turns toward your group, squints in the sunlight, and then raises his hand for silence. Remarkably, the entire crowd hushes itself in less than a minute.

"Good travelers, you have once again proven to me that all things happen by the will of Pelor. I have heard tale of your recent accomplishments in the hills, and I ask you to serve this town once more, both for the purpose of goodwill and, of course, for a just monetary reward. I have no doubt that my people could lay low this wretch-" The people jeer and shout. "-But to do so lives would surely be lost. So I ask you, brave adventurers, to aid us greatly by striking him down, and in doing so ridding the world of evil."

Showtime. I'm not going to draw a map until you decide what to do. You have about a round before you need to reply to the cleric.

Niezck
2011-10-27, 12:08 PM
"Woah, woah, woah, woah there. What did he ever do to you? I don't know about the rest of these guys, but no damn way am I going to kill an innocent man for you."