View Full Version : Ninja like build sketch

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-29, 10:31 PM
This is the rough sketch of a build that inteds to be as ninja-esque as possible, I am still working on it, so please tell me what you think

Human

Factotum 1 /Exoticist Hit and Run Fighter 1/Unarmed Swordsage 1/Rogue 1/ Swordsage + 16

Factotum+Able learner=All skills as class skill for ever, UMD, Iajutusu focus, Listen, spot, tumble,balance, hide and move silently are the most fitting ones for the theme.

Exoticist Fighter is a variant from Dragon 310 which trades weapon proficiencies for Exotic weapon proficiency in 4 weapons of your choice, for this build Gnomish Quick Razor, Kusarigama and Shuriken are the ones that best fit and we have one free for what ever

Hit and Run fighter gives you a nice +2 Initiative bonus and Dex to damage against a flat footed enemy and a bonus feat.

Rogue is there to offset the SP lost by going fighter a bit and get a permanent SA dice, which in turn allows for Craven and all the damage fun you can have.

Unarmed Swordsage is for all the fun of martial maneuvers + a good unarmed damage for the "Even without a weapon I can kill you angle"

Important feats would be: weapon finesse, Shadow Blade (Aptitude weapon enhancement solves the only Shadow Hand weapon part) Staggering Strike is a nice debuff, and with the right combination (A strike such as Ruby Nightmare blade+Sneak Attack+ Craven+ boost like searing blade make for a really high DC) Darkstalker, Adaptive Style (DUH, Swordsage) and maybe TWF (you can pick up ITWF with the Gloves of the balanced hand if you want.

Stat Priority would be:
Dex->Con=~Wis-> Int->Str (no less than 10)->Cha

So what do you think? Reckon this build is playable and fills it's intended theme well?

Geigan
2011-08-30, 01:48 AM
Define ninja as the phrase can vary in meaning greatly. Specifically what parts of the concept are relevant to you and why do you believe this build fulfills that criteria? It'd be easier to critique if we know what you want out of it.

Person_Man
2011-08-30, 07:45 AM
What exactly do you want to be able to do, what books are allowed, and is homebrew allowed?

pilvento
2011-08-30, 09:26 AM
where is the hit and run fighter from?

Fearan
2011-08-30, 09:28 AM
where is the hit and run fighter from?
Drow of the Underdark

And what's Exoticist?

Greenish
2011-08-30, 09:44 AM
And what's Exoticist?Fighter variant from Dragon Mag #306. Trades martial weapon proficiency for four EWPs.

Daftendirekt
2011-08-30, 11:50 AM
Hit and Run fighter gives you a nice +2 Dex bonus and Dex to damage against a flat footed enemy and a bonus feat.

Uh, no. I just looked at it, and it's +2 initiative, not dexterity. Huge difference.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-30, 12:22 PM
Just to be clear, I sketched this build because I was bored, I don't have a game in which to play this build.

Define ninja as the phrase can vary in meaning greatly. Specifically what parts of the concept are relevant to you and why do you believe this build fulfills that criteria? It'd be easier to critique if we know what you want out of it.

When I thought of this, I was considering the stealthy, mobile and strong warrior, capable to take on enemies head to head but also able to use subterfurge, I think Combat Pragmatists might also fit

What exactly do you want to be able to do, what books are allowed, and is homebrew allowed?

In D&D terms the skillmonkey role with a bit of Striker-ish (borrowing from 4e terminology) capabilities. And this is only a thought exercise so pretty much there aren't any kind of limits bookwise (hell I am using Dragon Material); but for this idea no homebrew I want to do it as close to RAW as possible.

Uh, no. I just looked at it, and it's +2 initiative, not dexterity. Huge difference.

Woops :smallredface: fixed.

Person_Man
2011-08-30, 02:00 PM
In D&D terms the skillmonkey role with a bit of Striker-ish (borrowing from 4e terminology) capabilities. And this is only a thought exercise so pretty much there aren't any kind of limits bookwise (hell I am using Dragon Material); but for this idea no homebrew I want to do it as close to RAW as possible.

Skills, kills, and speed. Lots of options there.

I notice that you have a 20 level build. But to give useful advice, I think it's worthwhile to point out that multi-classing is not always a good idea.

At ECL 1-5ish multi-classing is often a great idea for Tier 3 or lower classes, because class abilities are front loaded.

At ECL 6-15ish multi-classing may or may not be a good idea, but most builds will want to enter a prestige class, because they tend to be superior to base classes at that ECL. Tier 1-2 classes can continue to get full progression of their spells or psionics, and Tier 3 or lower classes tend to get more and better class abilities.

At ECL 16+, Tier 1-2 classes will want to find a second full progression PrC. But Tier 3 classes will generally want to single class (Swordsage 20, Factotum 20, Totemist 20, Psychic Rogue 20, Beguiler 20, etc) so that they can get access to their higher level class abilities and capstones.

From your post it seems like you want a mix of Tier 3 and 4 classes that will go all the way up to level 20. If that's the case, then I suggest you pick a single class build. Once you settle on your choice, giving useful and focused crunch advice will be a lot easier.

TwylyghT
2011-08-30, 05:37 PM
Factotum 5/Rokugan Ninja 10/Iaijutsu Master 5?

Lots of INT synergy.

Sneak Attack + Iaijutsu Focus + Strike From the Void + Craven + Arcane Dilettante for Grease is a giggle, not to mention with Dex+2*Int+Cha+Improved Initiative, your bound to go first most of the time.

Talbot
2011-08-31, 02:44 AM
For you, my friend, I have options:

1) Swordsage 10/Shadow Sun Ninja 6/Warblade 4 (not in that order; stagger things to get as many higher-level maneuvers as possible).

You have stealth. You have skill points. Thanks to Warblade, taking one Exotic Weapon Proficiency pretty much gives you access to all exotic weapons (so long as you can play with them for five minutes). Shadow Hand maneuvers were clearly designed to play a ninja, as was (obviously) the Shadow Sun Ninja.

2) Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 16

You only need Int and Dex, with a little Con (and, if you can get Faerie Mysteries Initiate, you don't even need that). Pick up Shadow Blade. You have skillpoints, and interesting places to put them. You have Sneak Attack (and probably Craven, too). You have all kinds of fun ninja-esque maneuvers.

3) Factotum 20

Depending on how you fluff "ninja". But yeah. Skillpoints, cool tricks, versatility, stealth, not sucking at combat, high Initiative... you could make a pretty solid Factotum Ninja

4) Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 14

A combination of the previous suggestions; great skill list, loads of maneuvers, Int to Initiative, no need for Str/Cha (Wis helps your AC, but you can live without it, or take Kung Fu Genius if your DM lets you, and Con is helpful in the ways its always helpful, barring Faerie Mysteries).