PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the animal companion: Any good trades?

Rossebay
2011-08-29, 10:41 PM
So, I want to play a Wildshape SotAO character, but I don't want the animal companion bogging me down. Any suggestions?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-29, 10:43 PM
Mystic Ranger... spellcasting from level 0 spells up to level 5 spells, trades Animal Companion, weapon proficiencies and slows down some class abilities... dragon 318 IIRC

Edt: This build here (http://web.archive.org/web/20080221205121/forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=941812) seems to be just what you want.

Eldariel
2011-08-29, 10:43 PM
So, I want to play a Wildshape SotAO character, but I don't want the animal companion bogging me down. Any suggestions?

Distracting Attack is really the only one. It's not amazing but it's decent and it's not like Ranger AC is worth much to start with.

EDIT: Oh yeah. ^

Rossebay
2011-08-29, 10:56 PM
Thanks, guys. :D

Cog
2011-08-30, 05:41 AM
Keep in mind that Mystic weakens some class features that you are then trading away, so that you're not paying the same price that those trades expect of you. It's not really a dealbreaker, but it's the sort of thing you should probably point out to your DM and be aboveboard with instead of just letting htem notice and think you're trying to pull something.

Rossebay
2011-08-30, 08:06 AM
Keep in mind that Mystic weakens some class features that you are then trading away, so that you're not paying the same price that those trades expect of you. It's not really a dealbreaker, but it's the sort of thing you should probably point out to your DM and be aboveboard with instead of just letting htem notice and think you're trying to pull something.

Not weaker, just +1 level.
In a gestalt game, though, it doesn't really matter, haha.