PDA

View Full Version : In need of some sneaky Items to Flavour my PC

WeeohhWeeohh
2011-08-30, 12:13 AM
Hello guys and gal. I am kindly asking you for some help on how to equip my Rogue/Swashbuckler with fun/useful items and gadgets for a custom campaign involving a lot of dungeon crawling. Said PC has 10 in use magic magic devices if that helps. Also, I have some gold to spend. The items can be Homebrewed if it checks out with my DM.

As of right now I have:
Spool of endless rope
Foot pad clockwork (name is wrong...I don't have Songs and Silence with me right now
Bag of endless caltrops
Spring net
Marbles
Magnet
Door spikes
Periscope
Rubber balls
Shift weave

My weapons both have a wand slot and hilt hollow (I think from dungeonscape) so I'm interested to see if I should hide some sort of dust inside them if I need to make a quick escape.

As a side note: Bare with me on this one...
I was thinking of some creative items last night and came up with this little guy. A pair of gloves that are connected portable holes. You place one hand in glove and it fills the other one. Said filled glove can now act like "thing" from the Adams family (using your hand as locomotion). Adding some sort of (I am a huge newb when it comes do d&d so I have no idea about spells and such) enchantment via eye patch or goggles that allow you to see (and hear +$$) what "thing" sees via a gem that adorns the glove. It would be an interesting way to scout a bit. Not sure how to price to though hahaha.

I have been lurking a bit for a while and I have to say this is a very fun forum. Thanks ahead of time!

Dr.Epic
2011-08-30, 12:18 AM
A magic cloth that when rubbed against certain materials either turns wood into metal or metal into wood. Items effected by the cloth can be effected again thus turning wood to metal and back to wood and vice versa.

TheJake
2011-08-30, 05:12 AM
Right now I'm playing a severely unoptimised Rogue/Sorceror/Daggerspell Mage (lvl 15) and I've got a swath of custom magic items. My character is the Indiana Jones of our group (although much more crap at combat but skill monkey/jack of all trades/lifesaver in everything else).

These are my signature items:
- Hat of Disguise + Portable Hole (all in one);
- Cloak of the Bat,
- Grapple Whip (custom whip that acts as advanced grapple hook + whip + endless rope);
- Daggers of anti magic (greater dispel on hit, effectively a +1 weapon but damn useful).

They're all custom but do have relatively simple mechanics.

We've found that some of our best items are largely custom items but use pre-existing mechanics so they do not break the game (although they may stretch the treasure standards for our ECL). They are also unique enough to add flavour to the character.

- J.

Darrin
2011-08-30, 05:15 AM
Hello guys and gal. I am kindly asking you for some help on how to equip my Rogue/Swashbuckler with fun/useful items and gadgets for a custom campaign involving a lot of dungeon crawling.

You need to talk to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101).

house.au
2011-08-30, 08:37 AM
As a side note: Bare with me on this one...
I was thinking of some creative items last night and came up with this little guy. A pair of gloves that are connected portable holes. You place one hand in glove and it fills the other one. Said filled glove can now act like "thing" from the Adams family (using your hand as locomotion). Adding some sort of (I am a huge newb when it comes do d&d so I have no idea about spells and such) enchantment via eye patch or goggles that allow you to see (and hear +$$) what "thing" sees via a gem that adorns the glove. It would be an interesting way to scout a bit. Not sure how to price to though hahaha.

I have been lurking a bit for a while and I have to say this is a very fun forum. Thanks ahead of time!

Man I love that idea! I've only just started playing my first 3.5 game ever (despite having pored over rulebooks longingly for years in my youth) and I can't wait to get to the point where I can start thinking about/creating stuff like this...

Jayh
2011-08-30, 02:22 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0 This has a few ideas as well

edit: Ill be honest tho, the two items Ive gotten most out of are

collar of unseen servant
cloak of prestidigitation.

There is soooo much you can do with those

Greenish
2011-08-30, 02:36 PM
Silent Portal Disk.

Hookshot Rod of Ropes, if you can afford it.

WeeohhWeeohh
2011-08-31, 09:38 AM
You need to talk to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101).

Thanks much for the link! Lots of good stuff!