PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Maximizing Wizard Flexibility

Communard
2011-08-30, 11:31 AM
Now, I know what you're going to say: "Just be a Sorcerer then!", but that's not quite what I want. I'd like to be a prepared caster, but with as much of the flexibility of spontaneous casters as possible. I'm guessing feats wil be the main winner here, anyone got any ideas?

Engine
2011-08-30, 11:46 AM
Now, I know what you're going to say: "Just be a Sorcerer then!", but that's not quite what I want. I'd like to be a prepared caster, but with as much of the flexibility of spontaneous casters as possible. I'm guessing feats wil be the main winner here, anyone got any ideas?

What do you mean for "flexibility"?
To me it seems that spontaneous casters like Sorcerers aren't that flexible: they have a fixed spell list that they couldn't change daily.

subject42
2011-08-30, 12:25 PM
There are a few items that will let you spontaneously cast within your school, or for generalists, any spell in your book.

Look for "Annihilation Spectacles" and "Necromancer's Athame".

Communard
2011-08-30, 12:55 PM
What do you mean for "flexibility"?
To me it seems that spontaneous casters like Sorcerers aren't that flexible: they have a fixed spell list that they couldn't change daily.

Perhaps not "felxibility"...versatility? Basically the ability to react to any situation that might arise without foreknowledge.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 12:59 PM
Are you contained to only PF material? Cause there are some dirty tricks you can pull with Complete Champion, Races of the Dragon, Exemplars of Evil, and/or Complete Mage.

Does PF still have the rule that you can leave wizard slots open and fill them later in the day with 15 minutes of study?

Larpus
2011-08-30, 01:13 PM
Don't think there are feats for that in PF-only resources (yet), so your best bet is through items, such as loading yourself in spell-storing everything and the such.

As a side-note, Pathfinder Sorcerers can be made into quite the arcane powerhouses thanks to the human favored class bonus, which allows you to considerably increase your spell selection which, with careful consideration, can make you on par with any Wizard except for not having the circumstantial utility spells.

Does PF still have the rule that you can leave wizard slots open and fill them later in the day with 15 minutes of study?
Yes.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-30, 01:14 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test

Read thaaat!!

faceroll
2011-08-30, 01:18 PM
I would never ever recommend summoning monsters until you hit high levels and can devote a 4th to 6th level slot for trivial parlor tricks.

Communard
2011-08-30, 01:52 PM
Are you contained to only PF material? Cause there are some dirty tricks you can pull with Complete Champion, Races of the Dragon, Exemplars of Evil, and/or Complete Mage.

My DM is allowing 3.5 material on an approval basis, so I could use those providing the tricks aren't too (obviously) dirty :smallbiggrin:.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 02:08 PM
My DM is allowing 3.5 material on an approval basis, so I could use those providing the tricks aren't too (obviously) dirty :smallbiggrin:.

Sure, I'll break it down a bit.

Complete Champion lets you trade your 5th level wizard bonus feat to be able to spontaneously cast divination spells. It's poorly enough worded that technically you can now cast any and all divination spells, regardless of whether they're in your book or even on your wizard list. That's silly and cheesy. Spontaneously casting all divinations in your book is cool enough.

Exemplars of Evil has Uncanny Forethought, which requires Spell Mastery. With this feat, you can spontaneously convert spells to your mastered spells at whatever action casting the spell is. In addition, you can also spontaneously cast any spell you know as a full round action. You are limited to doing this int mod times per day.

Complete Mage has Alacritous Cogitation. This feat lets you spontaneously cast a spell like once a day.

Finally, Races of the Dragon has Versatile Spellcaster. The only pre-req is being able to spontaneously cast spells (so clerics and druids technically qualify). Any of the above methods get you to qualify (well, maybe not Alacritous Cogitation as it gives you A SPELL to spontaneously cast). Versatile Spellcaster allows you to use two lower level spell slots to spontaneously cast a higher level spell. So two 4ths get you a 5th, etc. The real dirty part is using this trick to cast spells that you don't have access to yet. A wizard can add any spell to his spellbook, so long as he has space, materials, and can make a trivial spellcraft check (are skill checks still trivial in PF? Can you take 10?). So you can only have 4th level spell slots, but you can use two of those spell slots to cast that teleport spell you copied into your book.

Communard
2011-08-30, 02:46 PM
Sure, I'll break it down a bit.

Complete Champion lets you trade your 5th level wizard bonus feat to be able to spontaneously cast divination spells. It's poorly enough worded that technically you can now cast any and all divination spells, regardless of whether they're in your book or even on your wizard list. That's silly and cheesy. Spontaneously casting all divinations in your book is cool enough.

Exemplars of Evil has Uncanny Forethought, which requires Spell Mastery. With this feat, you can spontaneously convert spells to your mastered spells at whatever action casting the spell is. In addition, you can also spontaneously cast any spell you know as a full round action. You are limited to doing this int mod times per day.

Complete Mage has Alacritous Cogitation. This feat lets you spontaneously cast a spell like once a day.

Finally, Races of the Dragon has Versatile Spellcaster. The only pre-req is being able to spontaneously cast spells (so clerics and druids technically qualify). Any of the above methods get you to qualify (well, maybe not Alacritous Cogitation as it gives you A SPELL to spontaneously cast). Versatile Spellcaster allows you to use two lower level spell slots to spontaneously cast a higher level spell. So two 4ths get you a 5th, etc. The real dirty part is using this trick to cast spells that you don't have access to yet. A wizard can add any spell to his spellbook, so long as he has space, materials, and can make a trivial spellcraft check (are skill checks still trivial in PF? Can you take 10?). So you can only have 4th level spell slots, but you can use two of those spell slots to cast that teleport spell you copied into your book.

Wow, thanks, even if I get one of these it'll boost my use to the group a lot. Cheers!

Does that last one only let you use spontaneous slots gained by other means, or can you use two memorization slots?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-08-30, 03:00 PM
Spontaneous Divination was errataed to only allow you to spontaneously cast divinations you know. That said, Spontaneous Divination + Versatile Spellcaster + Arcane Manipulation means any spell you prepare can be turned into a spontaneously cast divination, and then into two spells of one level lower, which are then turned into one spell of one level higher (that is, one spell of the original level) which can be used to cast any spell you know of the given level. Which basically makes Sorcerers useless.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 03:01 PM
Wow, thanks, even if I get one of these it'll boost my use to the group a lot. Cheers!

Does that last one only let you use spontaneous slots gained by other means, or can you use two memorization slots?

Any two slots. They could be Adept slots, even.

Spontaneous Divination was errataed to only allow you to spontaneously cast divinations you know. That said, Spontaneous Divination + Versatile Spellcaster + Arcane Manipulation means any spell you prepare can be turned into a spontaneously cast divination, and then into two spells of one level lower, which are then turned into one spell of one level higher (that is, one spell of the original level) which can be used to cast any spell you know of the given level. Which basically makes Sorcerers useless.

Arcane Manipulation only works 3x per day, and a 3rd level spell equals either a 2nd and 1st level spell or 3 1st level spells, not 2 2nd level spells. In other words, you can't achieve Versatile Spellcaster efficiency with Arcane Manipulation, since 2 + 2 is not 3.

You can find the feat here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-08-30, 03:07 PM
Any two slots. They could be Adept slots, even.

Any two Spontaneous slots, I believe.

Arcane Manipulation only works 3x per day, and a 3rd level spell equals either a 2nd and 1st level spell or 3 1st level spells, not 2 2nd level spells. In other words, you can't achieve Versatile Spellcaster efficiency with Arcane Manipulation, since 2 + 2 is not 3.

You can find the feat here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a

Bugger.

tyckspoon
2011-08-30, 03:10 PM
Any two Spontaneous slots, I believe.

Nup. The requirement to take the feat is to have spontaneous casting. The feat Benefits proper just says 'two spell slots'- arcane, divine, prepared, spontaneous, doesn't matter.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-30, 03:10 PM
Don't think there are feats for that in PF-only resources (yet), so your best bet is through items, such as loading yourself in spell-storing everything and the such.

Even better, it's a class feature of generalists. Granted, it's one spell per day, but that gives you something to plug that thing you couldn't reasonably be prepared for.

Otherwise, standard shenanigans apply. Get access to as many spells as possible, prepare a variety, use items to extend what you have on tap.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 03:11 PM
"VERSATILE SPELLCASTER
You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one
level higher.
Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells.
Benefi t: You can use two spell slots of the same level to
cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example,
a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell
slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows."

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-08-30, 03:16 PM
"VERSATILE SPELLCASTER
You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one
level higher.
Prerequisite: Ability to spontaneously cast spells.
Benefi t: You can use two spell slots of the same level to
cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example,
a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell
slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows."

Why so it is. That's interesting. Far less limited than I thought previously.

Analytica
2011-08-30, 05:50 PM
There is a PF Wizard Discovery that lets you prepare spells much, much faster. Leave slots open, fill a few in a single minute.