PDA

View Full Version : Elder Evils

Jayh
2011-08-30, 02:17 PM
Instead of worshipping one, what if I wanted to become one?

Im thinking an epic spell to give you the template, or maybe find an elder evil and drain him of powers.

Anyone run a game like this, or can think of a ritual that might do it?

faceroll
2011-08-30, 02:32 PM
Just be an ECL 21+ character with a bad attitude. Be really evil and old.

TurkeyBlizzard
2011-08-30, 02:35 PM
For the later, I could imagine (with good plot points) actually having two rituals: the first to summon the banished Elder Evil, and the second, to combine with/mutate into/slay and absorb it, while it's focused on destroying the world.

Malimar
2011-08-30, 02:43 PM
Elder Evil refers to things which are older than <really old thing, e.g. the world, the gods, sapience, life, or the universe>. That's why they're called Elder Evils. If you're not older than <really old thing>, you can't possibly qualify, no matter how huge, powerful, and incomprehensible a Lovecraftian aberration you are. There's no ritual but time travel that can make you older than <really old thing>.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-30, 02:47 PM
Elder Evil refers to things which are older than <really old thing, e.g. the world, the gods, sapience, life, or the universe>. That's why they're called Elder Evils. If you're not older than <really old thing>, you can't possibly qualify, no matter how huge, powerful, and incomprehensible a Lovecraftian aberration you are. There's no ritual but time travel that can make you older than <really old thing>.

Except going all Raistlin/Fistandantilus and thus actually being older then bla. My suggestion for this is double (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) magic jarring so you are permanently in possession of the creature. Maybe ask your DM for an epic ritual that does the same if you fulfill 36 stupidly complicated tasks first.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 02:57 PM

Pick a race that doesn't age. Travel back in time (ninth level spell you can find on the WotC website). Live until the present. Travel back in time again. Keep doing that until you're older than everyone.

Be really mean.
????
Profit.

aazru
2011-08-30, 03:30 PM
Pick a race that doesn't age. Travel back in time (ninth level spell you can find on the WotC website). Live until the present. Travel back in time again. Keep doing that until you're older than everyone.

Be really mean.
????
Profit.

Elan? And as a bonus you are aberration. :smallamused:

Jayh
2011-08-30, 03:34 PM
Yeah, one idea is a souped up worm that walks ritual

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm

except make it a psuedonatural paragon with the fecundity, anathemic secrecy, and true death powers, for great justice.

Alternately, I could try to absorb it, but I have no idea on the seeds/spell dcs either ritual would require.

Finally, you dont have to be ancient. kyuss was a spellcaster at one point, he became squishy.

Hm.... anyone have a good list of epic spells besides srd for comparison?

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-30, 03:36 PM
Well, there's two ways to be older than everything in existence. The first involves time travel. The second involves destroying everything in existence that's older than you.

Pick your poison!

faceroll
2011-08-30, 03:42 PM
Be a primordial incarnate construct half-minotaur warforged. This gets you large size and a net of +2 intelligence. Be a cerebremancer (preferably erudite/wizard). Use some dirty tricks for early entry.

Become a worm that walks. You can guarantee success of the ritual by using a wand of rary's mnemonic enhancer.

You are now a large worm that walks. Manifest an augmented expansion. You are now a gargantuan worm that walks.

Well, there's two ways to be older than everything in existence. The first involves time travel. The second involves destroying everything in existence that's older than you.

Pick your poison!

Both are doable with spell effects of 9th level or lower, too :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2011-08-30, 05:11 PM
If I'm remembering things right the old 339 boards had an auto success trick revolving around a man named Monty who entered the Far Realms who for some reason upon exiting shunted him to random points in time. You'd need to do some book work to re-construct how the trick worked but you could just randomly pop-out of the far realm until you're in the time you want to be in. Added style for being an evil horror that emerged from the realm of insanity in the time before time.

TheJake
2011-08-30, 05:29 PM
Yeah, one idea is a souped up worm that walks ritual

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm

except make it a psuedonatural paragon with the fecundity, anathemic secrecy, and true death powers, for great justice.

Alternately, I could try to absorb it, but I have no idea on the seeds/spell dcs either ritual would require.

Finally, you dont have to be ancient. kyuss was a spellcaster at one point, he became squishy.

Hm.... anyone have a good list of epic spells besides srd for comparison?

Did I read that correctly that there is no LA applied to that template?!?!?

- J.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-30, 05:32 PM
Did I read that correctly that there is no LA applied to that template?!?!?

- J.

It's a 3.0 template, LA was added in 3.5. I believe it's a (LA - ) template, meaning not accessible for PCs.

Chess435
2011-08-30, 05:33 PM
It's probably LA -, which is a lot different than LA +0.

Edit: AAAHHHH!!!!! Run Away!!! Attack of the Ninja Mods!!!

faceroll
2011-08-30, 05:34 PM
It's a 3.0 template, LA was added in 3.5. I believe it's a (LA - ) template, meaning not accessible for PCs.

The ELH actually had LA in it. Paragon was like +18 LA, I think.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-30, 05:35 PM
It's probably LA -, which is a lot different than LA +0.

Edit: AAAHHHH!!!!! Run Away!!! Attack of the Ninja Mods!!!

How could I resist posting, given the thread topic?:smallbiggrin:

Chess435
2011-08-30, 05:40 PM
How could I resist posting, given the thread topic?:smallbiggrin:

Very true! :smallcool:

Could you tell us the story of how you became an Eldritch Abomination? :smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2011-08-30, 05:51 PM
Very true! :smallcool:

Could you tell us the story of how you became an Eldritch Abomination? :smallwink:

I was called to it, by a power too great for mortal comprehension.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 05:59 PM
Worm that Walks is an LA +4 template. It's listed ECL is 27 (CR26), and it has 23 wizard HD.

TheJake
2011-08-30, 07:32 PM

I'm AFB from my copy of ELH but according to the D20Srd entry there is no LA entry at all.

EDIT:

Worm that Walks is an LA +4 template. It's listed ECL is 27 (CR26), and it has 23 wizard HD.

Just noticed this. Urggh. I take it that is from the book directly?

- J.

faceroll
2011-08-30, 07:39 PM
I'm AFB from my copy of ELH but according to the D20Srd entry there is no LA entry at all.

- J.

There is a table in the front of the monsters section. It explains that ECL = HD + LA. The listed ECL of WtW is 27. Its listed HD is 23.

enderlord99
2011-08-30, 10:54 PM
I was called to it, by a power too great for mortal comprehension.

Do you mean Chuck Norris?

EDIT: Also, I think the Snarl could be officially classified as an Elder Evil: Killed many gods, seeks to destroy the world, ridiculously powerful (Kind of goes with "killed many gods")...

Jayh
2011-08-31, 08:27 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118827 discussed here, oddly

hamishspence
2011-08-31, 08:37 AM
Given that Kyuss was mortal once- there is precedent for a mortal becoming an elder evil.

Maybe go a different route though.

Alleran
2011-08-31, 11:07 AM
Given that Kyuss was mortal once- there is precedent for a mortal becoming an elder evil.
Technically, I think Kyuss became a god (Age of Worms adventure path), and a remnant of him after that was an Elder Evil or something to that effect.

Also, what you could do to create an Elder Evil is to get a character and have the DM (or you, if you can create epic spells) devise a ritual. Go look up the D20 Call of Cthulhu statblocks for the various deities there, as well as the template for creating your own horrific monstrosity from beyond the stars. Get the ritual to pump you up to Demigod-level (it gives a straight list of basic abilities), and maybe tack on Pseudonatural in the process. Don't bother with extra abilities, SDAs, or similar. The template doesn't have them.

hamishspence
2011-09-01, 02:47 AM
I think the Elder Evils version was a "alternate" version, rather than have the two both exist.

Both involve Kyuss imprisoned in an obelisk, and coming out of it.