PDA

View Full Version : Power of suggestion

Elboxo
2011-08-30, 04:36 PM
So what is it exactly you can get someone to do with suggestion spell? The way my DM plays it is that the person under the spell is inclined to do whatever you want them to do, but they can still decide not to. I feel this ain't right, i know it's not Dominate Person, but there's more you can do than just suggest someone to do something, otherwise you may as well just roll a diplomacy check, right?

Fizban
2011-08-31, 12:23 AM
Two important things to note in my opinion: it's a spell, which generally means that if they fail the save, they have to do exactly what the spell says. And the line about "reasonable" suggestions only applies if the suggested action actually would be reasonable in context. The spell is used to get people to do things that aren't actually reasonable-that's the whole point. You spin the words and then use magic to make it make sense and force them to go along with it.

Basically, you tell them to do whatever you want them to do. All you have to do is make it sound fancy, and then as long as it's not obviously harmful they have to do it. They have absolutely no say in the matter since they just failed the only will save they had to stop it. It's a very powerful spell if for no other use than getting people to stop doing something (why not take a break and go sit at that table for a while?). Now, if you're not specific about your suggestion (you do have a good 25 words to be specific with), then they're open to interpretation, just like a poorly worded order to a Dominated creature, so make sure you're specific and you shouldn't have a problem.

Elboxo
2011-08-31, 12:48 AM
Thanks! That's a great explanation, makes it much more reasonable to be a 3rd level spell, didn't know about the 25 word limit thing...

Crasical
2011-08-31, 01:09 AM
The sentence 'The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable' is the killer, as it's up to the GM what constitutes a reasonable request, and the spell auto-fails if he dislikes the wording (You get two sentences).

Cast Suggestion: "You dress wearing coward, come over here and fight like a man! No weapons, no magic, just fist to fist combat!"

DM: The spell fails, the 8 str Archmage knows that fighting you in hand to hand is just as suicidal. That's an obviously harmful act, so the spell doesn't take effect.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-31, 11:47 AM
On the other hand "Your friends plan to betray you. Join my side now before they get the chance!" may work depending on the target and his friends.

"I am just a bard. Go attack the fighter who is a real threat." is likely going to work.

"Your friend can handle me by himself. Go sit down and watch." may also work.

It is all situational. You need to make a guess at what the character would do if he saw a situation a partcular way and then suggest to him that it is that way.

Think of it less as mind control, more as makeing a person see things your way. It doen't change who they are, but you can tilt the lense they look at the world through. You won't get a paladin to betray his companions or a wizard to fight barehanded easily (but it is posible)

For the wizard suggest "I am almost dead anyway. No need to waste spells, just give me a good punch or two and I am finished."

faceroll
2011-08-31, 11:59 AM
Also note that, upon completion, the spell ends. So if the Avatar of a Dark God suggests that you "kneel before Death", and you end up kneeling, you're only on your knees for a round.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-31, 12:23 PM
This leads to the phraseing "Kneel before death for x number of seconds!" being practical, but far less thermatic.

faceroll
2011-08-31, 01:13 PM
This leads to the phraseing "Kneel before death for x number of seconds!" being practical, but far less thermatic.

"Kneel before Death for the duration of this Suggestion spell!" :smallwink:

That would have been mean!

MesiDoomstalker
2011-08-31, 01:31 PM
Also note that, upon completion, the spell ends. So if the Avatar of a Dark God suggests that you "kneel before Death", and you end up kneeling, you're only on your knees for a round.

No it doesn't. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/suggestion.htm)

faceroll
2011-08-31, 01:34 PM
"If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do."

Randomguy
2011-08-31, 02:12 PM
"Why fight me at all? Head over to the nearest tavern and buy yourself a nice drink. Live a little!"

MesiDoomstalker
2011-08-31, 02:21 PM
"If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do."

:smallredface: Misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant it had a 1 round duration.