PDA

View Full Version : My Campaign is Okay, Thanks!

DiBastet
2011-08-30, 08:14 PM
The problem here is, you wont often see topics about how smoothly a game ran, the dm didnt go out of his way to be an ass, the players werent sundering the entire dungeon with some obscene critical attack from a mega optimized melee character, whatever. Those make for boring stories.

I just wanted to tell the whole playground how much the above sentence is true and praise the creator.

My campaign is going very well. My players make very interesting characters, optimize them just right, and don't complain when I ban broken things. My setting is well loved by the players, and they really enjoy the nations, npcs and religions.

The party is made from a sneak attack two weapon fighter, a spiked chain rogue, a meleeficer, a two weapon bard and a melee warlock.

My campaign is going very well. This is a really boring story.

SowZ
2011-08-30, 08:28 PM
Wait... When people post threads about how their campaign is messing up, we post suggestions on how to fix it. So when people post their campaigns are going fine, should we try and advise the best ways to screw it up? That would be MUCH easier than repairing a group!

Shadowknight12
2011-08-30, 08:33 PM
{Scrubbed}

Bearpunch
2011-08-30, 08:34 PM
Wait... When people post threads about how their campaign is messing up, we post suggestions on how to fix it. So when people post their campaigns are going fine, should we try and advise the best ways to screw it up? That would be MUCH easier than repairing a group!

Alright, here is the solution:

1. Kill of the most beloved NPC
2. Next time the characters want something broken, give it ot them and BREAK THEM FOR IT.
3. ????
4. Profit

SowZ
2011-08-30, 08:37 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

... Somehow, I do not think you mean in-game...

*backs away. frantically scratches 'Shadowknight' off the list of players I would like to game with at some point.*

Qwertystop
2011-08-30, 08:43 PM

*backs away. frantically scratches 'Shadowknight' off the list of players I would like to game with at some point people to ever be within 30 yards of while carrying something to be ingested.*
Fixed that for you.

Lord Vampyre
2011-08-30, 08:44 PM
I just wanted to tell the whole playground how much the above sentence is true and praise the creator.

The original statement isn't exactly true. I've seen campaigns posted on these forums that were excellent. I suggest checking out SilverClawShift's Campaign Archives. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836)

The way these campaigns have been illustrated is actually quite amazing. Also, as you read them you get sense of the social dynamic within the game. I just can not imagine that the game was actually horrible when the campaign journal turned out so well. I suppose it's possible, I just can't imagine it.

I will admit that this probably an exception to the rule. Not many keep are able to keep such a detailed campaign journal with such skill.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-30, 08:45 PM

*backs away. frantically scratches 'Shadowknight' off the list of players I would like to game with at some point.*

You know, I was wondering if I should've added "Kidding!" in white text... :smallyuk:

DiBastet
2011-08-31, 07:42 PM
The original statement isn't exactly true. I've seen campaigns posted on these forums that were excellent. I suggest checking out SilverClawShift's Campaign Archives. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836)

The way these campaigns have been illustrated is actually quite amazing. Also, as you read them you get sense of the social dynamic within the game. I just can not imagine that the game was actually horrible when the campaign journal turned out so well. I suppose it's possible, I just can't imagine it.

I will admit that this probably an exception to the rule. Not many keep are able to keep such a detailed campaign journal with such skill.

Well, then maybe I should have put in the title [TIAJ]...

But talking seriously, I understand that there are good campaigns posted here. But in the passion of the moment, and the excelente sentence by the original poster, I had to say that.

So many times I come here and give help to people who have bad dms, bad campaigns, bad players, and I even an very eager to tell MY horrible taler of bad dms, bad campaigns and bad players.

So, the need to say how grateful I am to have such a nice campaign.

And talking about journals, my group even has a good campaign journal, but we write it with the story in mind, and the actions of the heroes; we don't describe rolls (most of the time) or choices or jokes players make. It's a journal of the events of the story and jokes, not of the game. If we described the player decisions and such it would be another good journal to post here.

Lord Vampyre
2011-08-31, 08:43 PM
On many levels the original statement has it correct. People rarely comment on the posts where someone had an awesome gaming experience, except to say hey that's amazing.

Now, when people have problems and need help fixing them, almost everyone (including myself) want to put in their two cents. There is nothing wrong with a great game. On the contrary, to change something in a good game risks turning it into a horrible game.

On the other hand, when we are given bad gaming situations, we feel the need to help alleviate the situation. Often times this because we have experienced similar situations, and feel that our experience with them may be of some benefit.

Kaun
2011-08-31, 09:26 PM
*snip*

People love drama

DiBastet
2011-09-01, 10:29 AM
People love drama

Okay people, Kaun wins the thread.

dsmiles
2011-09-01, 11:59 AM
I'd just like to say that my campaign, while meeting infrequently, is also okay. No drama. :smallwink:

Dsurion
2011-09-01, 12:31 PM
Your time would be much more productively spent making a campaign journal :smallwink:

Eldan
2011-09-01, 12:31 PM
Alright, here is the solution:

1. Kill of the most beloved NPC
2. Next time the characters want something broken, give it ot them and BREAK THEM FOR IT.
3. ????
4. Profit

*scribbles*

...kill... Winsome...

Okay, thanks.

DiBastet
2011-09-01, 02:39 PM
Bah, my campaign journal is in portuguese and we're at the 47th session. I really don't want to translate it... :smallcool:

Kaun
2011-09-01, 05:35 PM
just put it through an online auto translator, im sure it will come through fine.

arguskos
2011-09-01, 05:39 PM
My game wrapped up about two-three weeks ago, and was pretty well praised as being GOD DAMN GLORIOUS. Everyone was satisfied with how it ended, I felt like I gave everyone a good ending, and everything was awesome (it even came down to one player at the very end, but he managed to rez everyone so it's alright).

You're right in that you don't see many "my game's awesome, go me" stories, just cause they're boring to read. Sure, they're feel-good moments, but mostly if you were there. Otherwise it's just some guy boasting, which is dull.

Morph Bark
2011-09-01, 05:45 PM
The original statement forgot to include campaign journals is why it's wrong. :smallwink:

Mine is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10612184) and things are going excellent. Players are messing with each other, all in good fun, while pushing towards an unknown goal in a developed setting, creating a vibrant game that just feels alive.

DiBastet
2011-09-01, 07:55 PM
This could become a good thread to boast "My campaign is going very wll, go me!" or players saying "MY dm is awesome! Help me make his games better!".

It would still be weird.

Dr paradox
2011-09-02, 08:37 PM
my campaign is going pretty well, too! pacing is good, adventures feel satisfying to me as a DM, and there is no drama. Go me! also, Go Eldan! also, Go Arguskos! also, Go dsmiles!

Kallisti
2011-09-03, 01:53 AM
just put it through an online auto translator, im sure it will come through fine.

This is a really bad idea; I fully endorse it, do this immediately.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-09-03, 09:55 PM
This is a really bad idea; I fully endorse it, do this immediately.

I speak a bit of Spanish, which is kind of like Portuguese. I could translate it. :smalltongue: It might be better than a computer translator.

But yes, not enough people comment that they are having good campaigns, I personally am in several now that I quite enjoy... Running one of them and I'm actually playing in the others which is a change in itself. :smallbiggrin:

Gamgee
2011-09-04, 09:39 AM
Campaign is going good. Much Tau died when they were forced to look upon the light of the Emperor from the barrel of a Bolter. None of them died, they all rolled well, and they also all looked badass.

DiBastet
2011-09-04, 08:34 PM
I speak a bit of Spanish, which is kind of like Portuguese.

I will really pass! I have more than enough experience with a spanish-native player who speaks portuguese with his accent and all that... well, let me tell you it wouldn't end well!

In any case, if any cares to look, or do the wight thing, here it is: http://segredosdealancia.blogspot.com/

BTW: I use random encounter tables. Not just for most, for interesting encounters amid wilderness and civilization. In a small block of %, there is the option of finding an interesting, not combat encounter, that may prompt player action. One of those, that I wrote down almost two years ago and never came up, was a falling Elite (from Halo) starship in the middle of the night (possibly too close to the party).

Yesterday they managed to roll this encounter while in the middle of the wilderness, inside a snowstorm. Guess what, they saved one of the dying elites (and really cared about the creature, you know, it's a kind of poo "castaway" after all), woke him up, made some communications with him, helped him burn the corpses of his squad inside the starship, and invited him to come along until his rescue don't find his tracking signal.

So, my campaign is going okay, thanks, and now with extra crossover! :smallbiggrin:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-09-04, 09:04 PM
I will really pass! I have more than enough experience with a spanish-native player who speaks portuguese with his accent and all that... well, let me tell you it wouldn't end well!

That was the joke good sir. :smalltongue:

DiBastet
2011-09-05, 08:15 AM
That was the joke good sir.

Oh gods, thanks! It was a joke. Thank you Lord.

Realms of Chaos
2011-09-05, 06:00 PM
I, for one, still fully recommend putting your blog through a translation website. Here is what the first paragraph of the blog that I saw looks like, put through the "magic" of babelfish.

After one day entire previous effectively making this, Faranis decides tresloucadamente to pass plus a piece of this day leaving for the next districts in hopes to find Shylla. E this Faranis makes through a mixture to touch the bells in the places certain in the alias process, to try to track, to ask for few and select people which would not be victims of its preconception and, finally, to cry out randomly for the streets the name of Shylla, speaking it to come back, and that it understood wrong. As it was of if to imagine, such thing does not reach no success.

See? Perfectly fine. :smallbiggrin: (If the use of this text distresses you, I'll delete it ASAP)

DiBastet
2011-09-06, 11:51 AM
See? Perfectly fine. :smallbiggrin[/COLOR]

My gods! My begginer students (i'm an english teacher here) could translate it better! Gods, even my girlfriend, that can't barely say hello could translate it better.

This is an offense in the eyes of the gods! This makes me cry!

This is completly awesome! :smallbiggrin:

DiBastet
2011-09-06, 09:25 PM
BTW, my campaign in on the 48th session, but I'm thinking about translating it to english to post here and in other places (probably two or three per week or something like that).

However, where do I post campaing journals?

Jjeinn-tae
2011-09-07, 02:03 AM
Roleplaying game section like this thread. That's where I see them all.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-08, 01:21 PM
*scribbles*

...kill... Winsome...

Okay, thanks.

Don't you dare... I haven't even talked to him yet!

Sith_Happens
2011-09-13, 01:19 AM

IT'S A TRAP!