PDA

View Full Version : Artificer: Craft Homunculus

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-08-31, 12:32 AM
I have what seems to be a fairly simple question, but, for whatever reason, has me a little stumped. The Artificer gains Craft Homunculus at 4th level, which lets it make Homunculi as if it had the Craft Construct Feat.

Besides the standard Homunculus from MM, there are a few proposed in ECS. I am assuming, as the book states they are Humunculi that they can be made without an Artificer having to take Craft Construct. Am I right?

Also, what other Homunculi are there?

or rather:

What other Constructs/Creatures can an Artificer make without having to take the Craft Construct Feat?

Thanks.

Crasical
2011-08-31, 12:42 AM
I have what seems to be a fairly simple question, but, for whatever reason, has me a little stumped. The Artificer gains Craft Homunculus at 4th level, which lets it make Homunculi as if it had the Craft Construct Feat.

Besides the standard Homunculus from MM, there are a few proposed in ECS. I am assuming, as the book states they are Humunculi that they can be made without an Artificer having to take Craft Construct. Am I right?

Also, what other Homunculi are there?

or rather:

What other Constructs/Creatures can an Artificer make without having to take the Craft Construct Feat?

Thanks.

You have an ability that lets you craft Humunculi (and only humunculi). You find things that are stated to be humunculi. Logic would dictate that you can craft them, otherwise the ability granted is fairly useless...

As for other constructs you can make, wikipedia says:

The book Magic of Eberron (2004) includes three new homonculi: the arbalester homonculus, the packmate homonculus, and the persistent harrier homonculus.

Coidzor
2011-08-31, 12:52 AM
Seem to be 7, all told, unless the handbook missed one. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=pm3776hgoe71nl7bbdsh1in2a0&topic=5929.msg196085#msg196085)

Bayar
2011-08-31, 09:58 AM
Seem to be 7, all told, unless the handbook missed one. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=pm3776hgoe71nl7bbdsh1in2a0&topic=5929.msg196085#msg196085)

Funnily enough, it missed the Homonculus from Monster Manual.

Coidzor
2011-08-31, 02:41 PM

Well, that was silly of me to miss that. x.x

So 8 homunculi all told it seems. Skimming the mechonomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0)seems to confirm this as well.

Though, seeing as how the Umbral Spy is listed in the Forge of War source book from Eberron, that one might be worth checking if you have access to the book.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-09-01, 12:29 AM

So 8 homunculi all told it seems. Skimming the mechonomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0)seems to confirm this as well.

Though, seeing as how the Umbral Spy is listed in the Forge of War source book from Eberron, that one might be worth checking if you have access to the book.

Thanks for the advice, Ill take a look.

Bayar
2011-09-01, 04:12 AM

Checked it. It does not count as a homonculus, although a DM might let you craft one if you ask nicely.

The clockroach from MM4 does count as a homonculus if you are an artificer, though.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-09-01, 08:19 AM
Checked it. It does not count as a homonculus, although a DM might let you craft one if you ask nicely.

The clockroach from MM4 does count as a homonculus if you are an artificer, though.

Ya, I looked into it too. No where does it say Umbral Spy is a homunculus.
Hadn't heard of the clockroach before though. I'll have to take a peek at that one.

Coidzor
2011-09-01, 02:35 PM

Mostly a guess based upon the name and source anyway, haha.

So that's 8 always homunculi and 1 that's a homunculus or not depending upon your class, eh? Interesting.

Recurver
2015-06-30, 06:48 PM
the Clockwork Mender in Monster Manual IV Pg 30. says in the description that it is a choice for artificers as a homunculus. This creature is a must have for an artificer that is either warforged or is going to have alot of constructs and or homunculus around. does good damage and has a lovely ability. it can cast "Repairing touch" once a day it heals itself or another construct by 1 D8. and if your gm is a real nice person they might let you get a clockwork mender SWARM as a homunculus. it has even better abilities it can repair a construct with it's own hp and can now cast "swarm repair"Swarm Repair (Su) A clockwork mender swarm can choose not to damage a construct with its swarm attack. When the clockwork mender swarm occupies a construct’s space at the end of the swarm’s turn, it can repair of 1 point of damage on that construct. The swarm can use its swarm repair on itself if it does not move for 1 round." that mixed with the artificers ability to give himself the construct sub type via infusion. that's basically a free fast healing for 1 hp a round. sorry for the rant. you may continue.

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-30, 07:28 PM
I would start with the dedicated wright. Right there you can set the darn thing to make a second homonoculus. When you return at your next level, you can get one started on your first magic item, while the other makes your 3rd homonoculus.

jiriku
2015-06-30, 08:12 PM
Dedicated wright is almost the prohibitive favorite. It crafts while you adventure. That is a bucket of awesome if ever I saw one.

atemu1234
2015-06-30, 08:48 PM

This irony is delicious. Like Homonculi stew!

lytokk
2015-07-01, 08:29 AM
I was completely unaware there was a list of other homunculus's, homunculi... for the artificer. I thought the only one was in the monster manual and thats what you got to use. Now I'm going to have to go back and fix that little ability on my artificer.

Milo the Gnome
2015-07-01, 12:52 PM
Not sure why the unofficial handbook only added the homunculi from the Eberron books, and not the potentials from the Monster Manuals. Besides that minor omission it's a great resource.

Anyone see a point to the Clockroach? Flavor wise it seems like a hilarious addition to guard / clean around the house. Or shenanigans that give someone a severe phobia.