PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Incarnum and Spell casting

Demons_eye
2011-08-31, 02:27 AM
Two questions about each and some feat relating to both.

First: Improved Essentia Capacity and Midnight Metamagic. Am I reading this wrong or does Improved Essentia Capacity change the amount of essentia you can poor into a feat to you Con bonus? And then use Midnight Metamagic to fuel all your spell goodies? Like say Persistent spell.

Second when you cast a spell that uses Essentia do you gain it back after the spell or does it eat it up for the day like feats do?

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-31, 05:01 AM
1. Improved Essentia Capacity improves the maximum essentia capacity for feats by 1, to a maximum of your Con modifier. So if your Con modifier is +3 and you already have an essentia capacity of 3, it wouldn't do anything - if your Con bonus was +4, it would increase the essentia capacity to 4.

Midnight Metamagic can be used to fuel a single Persistent Spell, if you're level 18, have Improved Essentia Capacity, a Con of at least 20 and Arcane Thesis. It's probably not worth it.

2. When you cast a spell that requires Essentia, the Essentia remains bound until the spell lapses, at which point you regain the Essentia. (Midnight Metamagic works the same way, by the way - it's one shot, and once you use it you get the Essentia back.)

The Random NPC
2011-08-31, 11:59 AM
I believe you made a mistake there, did you mean if your essentia capacity of 2 and a Con bonus of +3 the capacity would increase by one?

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-31, 04:40 PM
No, but I did make a mistake and I've fixed it.

>.>

<.<

Godskook
2011-08-31, 04:48 PM
Its kinda hilarious that the Vancian version is a pretty bad feat, while the Manifester version is practically broken on its own, and is definitely part of some very broken combos. Its like neither was playtested, nor were they even compared to each other to ensure that they were at least similarly powerful options.