PDA

View Full Version : Mental Stats and Reincarnate

Gnoman
2011-08-31, 10:24 AM
From the simple questions thread. The spell Reincarnate includes these two lines:

Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores.

The debate is as follows: Does the direction "eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments" apply to all stats (thus erasing the positive mental modifiers due to aging) or does it only apply to the three stats listed in the first sentence, as it specifically designates those stats to be modified (thus preserving age-related positive mental modifiers.)

RndmNumGen
2011-08-31, 10:50 AM
I would rule that mental bonuses do not get reset by reincarnate, but I certainly wouldn't allow the character to get them a second time.

Ernir
2011-08-31, 11:02 AM
The debate is as follows: Does the direction "eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments" apply to all stats (thus erasing the positive mental modifiers due to aging) or does it only apply to the three stats listed in the first sentence, as it specifically designates those stats to be modified (thus preserving age-related positive mental modifiers.)
I'd say the "eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments" clause is in the context established by the earlier sentence (that is, referring only to the Str, Dex and Con scores).

As for aging bonuses... uh, those might still disappear due to you now being a Young Adult.

The whole spell is a bit of a mess. :smallconfused: