PDA

View Full Version : Lawful Evil and Destruction (WWAD)

Zergrusheddie
2011-08-31, 10:27 AM
To me players: don't read this guys. Don't be jerks. Why are you still reading this? Get out please.

Ok, now that I got my group out of here (if you are still here, 50 DKP minus!) I have a question for the community. Let's say that the way of the universe is that every once in a great long while, an incredibly powerful being awakens to destroy all of the planes of existence. Everything is destroyed, and then the same creature begins to rebuild the planes. It's just the way existence works out. Big Daddy reappears, blows everything up, and then starts over from scratch.

Would a creature such as Asmodeus try to stop/delay this from happening? It's the way of the world for Big Daddy to destroy and recreate but it means that Asmodeus would likewise be destroyed. I am trying to figure out what a super Lawful Evil being would do if it was "written that he should be destroyed." It seems like their attraction for natural order would come into conflict with their lust for not being dead.

Best of luck y'all.
-Eddie

Traab
2011-08-31, 10:34 AM
Well, there are two theories here. Theory one is that as a god, asmodeus is outside the sphere of destruction and rebirth. After all, you still need to have gods to govern the different aspects of reality. In which case, unless he is in mid plot to take over, he wouldnt care too much as it would give him the chance to start over fresh.

If he is in mid plot to gain further power and influence, then he would likely try to at least delay the reset, because, think of it like this. You are playing a game of chess, but at some random point, the game is reset, however, you get to keep whatever pieces you have left and whatever pieces you captured on your side. If you are in mid strategy to grab a few extra powerful pieces, then you would want the reset to wait until after your big plan wins. If you are losing, then at least the restart gives you the chance to get untangled from the traps you are stuck in.

Theory 2 is that its not just asmodeus, but ALL gods who would get rolled up by the restart. After all, it doesnt make sense that only he would be destroyed. This implies an epic level campaign where the forces of good and evil have to work together to find a way to stop the reset from happening, because its everyones asses on the line here.

Tiki Snakes
2011-08-31, 10:44 AM
Simple, Asmodeus in this case is fine with the idea of cosmic laws, but that doesn't mean he is fine with the minutae of all the cosmic laws.

This particular, outdated law has served it's purpose but further random disruption would only serve the purposes of the axis of chaos. Therefor it is his duty, as dictated by the greater body and spirit of cosmic law to stop this happening.

His survival is, of course, merely a happy accident. Would I lie to you?

Zergrusheddie
2011-08-31, 10:44 AM
Theory 2 is that its not just asmodeus, but ALL gods who would get rolled up by the restart. After all, it doesnt make sense that only he would be destroyed. This implies an epic level campaign where the forces of good and evil have to work together to find a way to stop the reset from happening, because its everyones asses on the line here.

That's the one. Big Daddy is going to destroy everything and recreate. It's how it has always been though only very few beings now about it.

It's a process for Big Daddy to come back. It requires lots of different components and everything needs to fall in line, If it is stopped, Big Daddy will just come back at a later time when all the "stars have aligned" again. It's just how things work: Big Daddy always does the same thing and will continue forever.

bebosteveo
2011-08-31, 10:49 AM
With the exception of chaotic chaotic, paladin, and chaotic stupid, alignment typically should not override self-preservation. Fantasy world or not, I can't think of too many people who would knowingly and willingly show up for their own execution. Lawful or not, Asmodeus probably isn't too fond of complete and utter annihilation.

Though like Traab said, that assumes he is not exempt since he is a god. If he is he'd probably sit back and watch to world burn, then possibly meddle with the re-creation to suit his interests.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-08-31, 02:31 PM
With the exception of chaotic chaotic, paladin, and chaotic stupid, alignment typically should not override self-preservation.

And "Paladin" (that's an alignment now) would more than likely be forced to step up for the sake of everyone-else-preservation, although I can see some schisms happening within more insanely cosmic-law-and-order orders if you want some Lawful Good villains in this plot.

As for Embodiment of Lawful Evil types, it stands to reason that they'd make whatever loopholes or excuses they had to to try and stop these shenanigans, unless they were direct servants of whatever was doing the destroying. Does Doctor Doom put up with Galactus trying to eat him? Galactus is a law of the universe, and Doctor Doom is a dictator who believes in (his own) system of law, but that does not mean he's going to let himself be destroyed for some "higher" system of law.

Also I think this is the plot of Xenosaga, but I'm not sure, because it's Xenosaga.

Mikeavelli
2011-08-31, 02:36 PM
Any great cosmic-scale restructuring represents an opportunity for advancement.

Creatures like the Modrons would be the only faction "lawful" enough to quietly accept the destruction of all things. Even then, they might regard it as an aberration, and attempt to prevent it regardless.

Asmodeus, and by extension the classical Lawful Evil mindset, would be to try to find a way to use the cosmic restructuring to their advantage, like ensuring he alone survives the end of the Multiverse so he's able to control things from the ground up in the new one. he may have done this already the last time this happened.

Failing that, if he knew he was likely to be included in the "everything" part of "kill everything" - he'd absolutely try to prevent this from happening, preferably through some byzantine plot that has been going on for the past several thousand years and has a dozen back-up plans.

Analytica
2011-08-31, 03:21 PM
A Lawful creature is hardly obliged to accept and abstain from countering something just because it has happened regularly in the past...

Traab
2011-08-31, 03:33 PM
A Lawful creature is hardly obliged to accept and abstain from countering something just because it has happened regularly in the past...

Yeah, just because its happened in the past doesnt mean a lawful type has to let it happen again. By what authority does this being destroy everything and make the universe start over?

faceroll
2011-08-31, 03:35 PM
I could see Mechanus being all about it.

Asmodeus would try to get out of it like a lawyer getting Chris Brown out of a battery rap.