PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on wand spell durations

King Atticus
2011-08-31, 11:56 AM
I know spell duration depends on the caster level that the wand was created at normally but what about wands that have a duration of concentration + x number of rounds?

Specifically I'm looking at the spell Beckoning Call from FC1. It has a duration of concentration + 3 rounds. The first thing that popped into my head is that it would last for 4 rounds but just trying to get it straight.

I thought it would be a handy wand for an assassin to use (UMD) for his death attack since the victim would come to you (assuming failed saves) and stand flat-footed right next to you.

Thoughts? Better ways to pull off the same idea? Thanks

Zherog
2011-08-31, 12:08 PM
As best as I can tell, the rules treat the user of a wand as the spellcaster:

Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

(emphasis mine)

Therefore, I'd say your assassin could concentrate to allow the spell to last longer; if he/she chooses not to concentrate on the spell, it'll last for 3 rounds.

Andreaz
2011-08-31, 12:11 PM
Therefore, I'd say your assassin could concentrate to allow the spell to last longer; if he/she chooses not to concentrate on the spell, it'll last for 3 rounds.

Not if: When.
When he stops concentrating, the spell lasts another 3 rounds.

Zherog
2011-08-31, 12:32 PM
Right. My fault for bad wording. I meant if he/she opts to activate the wand and immediately not concentrate. That's why I used the word "if" in that statement.

King Atticus
2011-08-31, 12:32 PM
My thought was the initially casting was a round then he would get an additional 3 rounds. Since you don't concentrate the first round you concentrate to maintain a spell. So with NO concentration I was thinking 1 round from just casting and then 3 more, is that not right?

So if the wand user can concentrate on the spell would you think that the Assassin could concentrate on the spell and study a victim for his death strike at the same time or would they each require too much focus to do together?

ericgrau
2011-08-31, 12:35 PM
Ya such a spell should last a minimum of 4 rounds. You don't need another action to concentrate for the first round. Plus spells with concentration would take 2 standard actions in the first round otherwise and nobody could ever concentrate on one without a belt of battle or quicken or some such.

Zherog
2011-08-31, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I'm failing at English today. I must need more caffeine... *wanders off*