PDA

View Full Version : Runesmith and Fullmetal Alchemist-Style Transmutation

Elric VIII
2011-08-31, 11:57 AM
*MESSAGE TO MY PLAYERS: STAY OUT*

So, I had an interesting idea for a dungeon and BBEG to pit my players against in an upcoming campaign. In an underground fortress my players will be fighting a Runesmith an his lackeys. What I hope to be able to do is have large stone pannels on the floor and walls, such that the Runesmith can activate it while the PCs are standing at one end and he is at the other. He will also use transmutations like Stone Shape to mold the stone pannels into walls and obstacles for the players.

I would like some general advice on making this encounter viable.

The BBEG will be a Gold Dwarf Fighter 2/Battle Sorcerer 5/Runesmith 3 with the feats Arcane Preparation, Earth Sense, Earth Adept, Exotic Armor (Mountain Plate), Scribe Scroll, and W Focus (Dwarven Urgosh).

I'm using Battle Sorcerer for the improved BAB and HD, along with the Dwarven Sorcerer racial sub levels.

I would like to ask a few things:

1. Are a Runesmith's runes like scrolls (are they permanent after he prepares them and can he prepare others the next day)?

2. Is there a size limit on the runes, or can I have one spell carved on a 100'x100' panel?

3. Can I cast the spells with the rune as the point of origin?

4. What are some spells that function like the transmutation in Fullmetal Alcemist (basically, things that alter the shape/composition of materials already present)?

5. This seems like a cool character to play as a PC, so any general advice on a Wizard Runesmith would be welcomed as well.

Thank you.

Wabbajack
2011-08-31, 12:04 PM
4. What are some spells that function like the transmutation in Fullmetal Alcemist (basically, things that alter the shape/composition of materials already present)?

Stone Shape comes to mind. There's also Ice Shape from Frostburn and Shape Metal from Races of Faerūn, but both are 5th level.

Also Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock and from Sandstorm Sand to Stone/Stone to Sand/Sand to Glass, all 5th level.

Elric VIII
2011-08-31, 12:20 PM
Stone Shape comes to mind. There's also Ice Shape from Frostburn and Shape Metal from Races of Faerūn, but both are 5th level.

Also Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock and from Sandstorm Sand to Stone/Stone to Sand/Sand to Glass, all 5th level.

Well, I guess I can push this encounter up by 2 levels and have it a little later in the campaign.

Elric VIII
2011-08-31, 03:11 PM
Does anyone, perhaps, have any advice on ways to elongate the fight (allowing skirmishing and leading the party into attempts at ambush/traps)?