PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Factotum help

Frosty
2011-08-31, 01:34 PM
I'm participating in an urban campaign starting at level 1, and I have no idea how long it'll run for. I've done the whole spam Manyshot by getting extra standard actions schtick, so I don't want to do that anymore. Besides, that trick doesn't start working until level 9 anyways. Therefore, I turn to you all for inspiration (pun intended) on how to make a low level factotum shine. My character will be part of a resistance group against a tyranical government, and I'm thinking that my character can be a good spy. Still, when the crap golem hits the Blade Barrier, some combat abilities to would be nice. I know we'll have to run a lot, since there will be many unbeatable odds, especially at first.

I'm thinking taking Combat Expertise and Improved Trip for levels 1 and 3, but then beyond that I'm not sure exactly what to do with my feats besides Font of Inspiration. Any suggestions on how to make the Factotum shine? I do not plan on being the party's trapfinder.

Draz74
2011-08-31, 01:49 PM
In an urban-intrigue campaign, Improved Trip should serve you pretty well.

Knowledge Devotion is (still) a possibility.

Are you determined to stay a pure Factotum? Because a couple levels in Warblade or Swordsage can open up a lot of possibilities.

Frosty
2011-08-31, 01:54 PM
In an urban-intrigue campaign, Improved Trip should serve you pretty well.

Knowledge Devotion is (still) a possibility.

Are you determined to stay a pure Factotum? Because a couple levels in Warblade or Swordsage can open up a lot of possibilities.
Staying in Factotum past level 8 is not set in stone, but our sources are limited. ToB is not in the list of books allowed. I get all the completes, all the races of <x>, some unearthed arcana variants, Dungeonscape, and PHB2 stuff.

Knowledge Devotion sounds good and will probably be a level 6 feat. If we get flaws, I can get Improved Trip earlier and take Devotion as level 3 feat I suppose...

kestrel404
2011-08-31, 02:33 PM
Urban tracking. It's in Cityscape, but you've already got access to Unearthed Arcana (it's in there as a Ranger ACF) and Dungeonscape (which is in the same release continuum).

Fiery Burst & Minor Shapeshift. While technically the factotum is not elligible for reserve feats because they cast 'spell-like abilities' instead of spells, it's worth asking the GM about.

Alacritous Cogitation. You do prepare arcane spells. You merely cast them as spell-like abilities. Since you can choose to prepare any spell off the wiz/sorc spell list, this means you may spontaneously cast any wiz/sorc spell 1/day.

Frosty
2011-08-31, 02:36 PM
Urban tracking. It's in Cityscape, but you've already got access to Unearthed Arcana (it's in there as a Ranger ACF) and Dungeonscape (which is in the same release continuum). 1/day.
But I'm not a Ranger? :smallconfused:

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-31, 02:37 PM
Definitely get Knowledge Devotion. At lower levels, I'd say focus more on skills than combat. The old stand-by is Iajaitsu Focus with a Quickrazor.

Other option include multiclassing into Warblade. Starting something like Factotum 4 (with two Fonts of Inspiration)/Warblade X. Maybe heading back into Factotum for more standard actions, but that's up to you. It's no Factotum of War, but it's about the best you can do without Gestalt.

EDIT: With no Tome of Battle, just stay in Factotum. You could maybe do something like Haberdash the Mask or go into Fighter 2 (or 6) for INT-based Dungeoncrashing.

Frosty
2011-08-31, 02:48 PM
Definitely get Knowledge Devotion. At lower levels, I'd say focus more on skills than combat. The old stand-by is Iajaitsu Focus with a Quickrazor.

Other option include multiclassing into Warblade. Starting something like Factotum 4 (with two Fonts of Inspiration)/Warblade X. Maybe heading back into Factotum for more standard actions, but that's up to you. It's no Factotum of War, but it's about the best you can do without Gestalt.

EDIT: With no Tome of Battle, just stay in Factotum. You could maybe do something like Haberdash the Mask or go into Fighter 2 (or 6) for INT-based Dungeoncrashing.Also, no oriental adventures. None of my DMs will actually allow Iaijutsu Focus unless we are roleplaying in Rokugan, and in which case we have the Legend of the 5 Rings system.

I'm trying to decide 1) Whether I should go with 1-handed weapon and shield or a Guisarme and 2) whether I should prc into Chameleon at level 5, level 8, or not go into the class at all.

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 05:59 PM
Why not leave that decision after seeing the character in play for a few levels. Since it is a urban campaign social skills as well some acrobatic skills to help move from one place to another like running over rooftops.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 07:01 PM
But I'm not a Ranger? :smallconfused:Urban Ranger trades Track feat for Urban Tracking, and describes how it works, even though the feat itself is technically in Cityscape.

Neither sword&board nor guisarme are very concealable, but I might go with guisarme. Reach is excellent.

Godskook
2011-08-31, 08:06 PM
For a city-based tripper build, might I suggest dipping Marshal? The +Cha on trip attempts means your trip modifier looks something like:

Str + Int + Dex + 4 + Size vs. their Str or Dex + Size

Also, dipping Barbarian 2 or Monk 2 will give you Imp Trip without a feat cost, and both will be quite useful as a complement to your Factotum(Able Learner ahoy!).

Master of Masks is a go-to dip for Factotums, and would make you quite powerful with heavy weapons.

And back to Marshal, every 2 levels deeper you plunge into this class improves your overall mastery of skills by your Cha, and if you *NEED* to be socially focused, getting to Marshal 5, so you can have it on Cha/Wis/Str might be ideal. Better still, this improvement is basically group-wide, allowing you to bring along people who'd otherwise be left behind cause they can't make the Climb/Swim/Jump checks, and would prove invaluable for detecting liars in your midst via Sense Motive. (The advantages large groups in those auras for other skills is marginal, but if you picked up the Dex aura, welcome to having an entire party of stealthy people).

I'm seeing something like:

Factotum 1/Imp Trip base class 2/Factotum +2 and Marshal 1/MoMasks 1/Marshal +4

That takes you to level 11, gives you more consistently powerful skills than straight Factotum would, and gives you 3 stats on tripping. All told, you'll be a scary dude to mess with whom all your allies would trust implicitly since they'd know you weren't lying to them.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-31, 09:49 PM
Take Heroics as one of your daily SLA's. It lets you simulate a fighter feat on demand, so whatever trick you need, you can grab. Suddenly need to sunder something? No problem. In need of some disarming prowess? Easy peasey. No weapons? Your unarmed strikes have just been improved. The fun never ends!

Frosty
2011-09-01, 01:35 AM
For a city-based tripper build, might I suggest dipping Marshal? The +Cha on trip attempts means your trip modifier looks something like:

Str + Int + Dex + 4 + Size vs. their Str or Dex + Size

Also, dipping Barbarian 2 or Monk 2 will give you Imp Trip without a feat cost, and both will be quite useful as a complement to your Factotum(Able Learner ahoy!).

Master of Masks is a go-to dip for Factotums, and would make you quite powerful with heavy weapons.

And back to Marshal, every 2 levels deeper you plunge into this class improves your overall mastery of skills by your Cha, and if you *NEED* to be socially focused, getting to Marshal 5, so you can have it on Cha/Wis/Str might be ideal. Better still, this improvement is basically group-wide, allowing you to bring along people who'd otherwise be left behind cause they can't make the Climb/Swim/Jump checks, and would prove invaluable for detecting liars in your midst via Sense Motive. (The advantages large groups in those auras for other skills is marginal, but if you picked up the Dex aura, welcome to having an entire party of stealthy people).

I'm seeing something like:

Factotum 1/Imp Trip base class 2/Factotum +2 and Marshal 1/MoMasks 1/Marshal +4

That takes you to level 11, gives you more consistently powerful skills than straight Factotum would, and gives you 3 stats on tripping. All told, you'll be a scary dude to mess with whom all your allies would trust implicitly since they'd know you weren't lying to them.
Normally I'd love to use Marshal, but Miniature's Handbook just isn't on the list of approved books. SpellCompendium isn't either so no Heroics shenanigans for me.

The Master of Masks...I hear it's good for getting me proficiency wioth Exotic weapons, but given the books I listed, what are some good exotic weapons I should focus on later if I go with that dip?

Daftendirekt
2011-09-01, 01:39 AM
Solid exotic weapons:

kusari-gama
halfling skip rock
gnomish quickrazor

These are all, of course, dependent on whether you've got the stats and/or feats to use them to their full effect. Skiprocks are obviously best for master thrower, but I think anybody could make decent use of them what with their ricocheting capabilities.

Kusari-gama is awesome because it's a reach weapon that also threatens adjacent, AND it's a tripping weapon.

Quickrazor is for the ever-famous Factotum Iaijutsu Focus shenanigans.

Frosty
2011-09-01, 02:01 AM
Solid exotic weapons:

kusari-gama
halfling skip rock
gnomish quickrazor

These are all, of course, dependent on whether you've got the stats and/or feats to use them to their full effect. Skiprocks are obviously best for master thrower, but I think anybody could make decent use of them what with their ricocheting capabilities.

Kusari-gama is awesome because it's a reach weapon that also threatens adjacent, AND it's a tripping weapon.

Quickrazor is for the ever-famous Factotum Iaijutsu Focus shenanigans.My character is not going for ranged combat, but I suppose I can check them out (races of stone yes?).

Kusari-gama sounds like a Spiked Chain that does less damage. What gives?

Quickrazors not useful for me since as I said, Iaiajutsu does not exist in this world.

Godskook
2011-09-01, 02:10 AM
While we're on the subject of useful spells, Greater Mighty Whallop is in RotD, so be sure to use and abuse it for all your bludgeoning needs.

Frosty
2011-09-01, 02:16 AM
While we're on the subject of useful spells, Greater Mighty Whallop is in RotD, so be sure to use and abuse it for all your bludgeoning needs.What does it do? Increase the damage die for my bludgeoning weapon?

NNescio
2011-09-01, 03:50 AM
What does it do? Increase the damage die for my bludgeoning weapon?

...by up to five size categories.

Godskook
2011-09-01, 09:28 AM
What does it do? Increase the damage die for my bludgeoning weapon?

Any small or larger heavy flail deals 6d8 damage at CL 20. And while you can only get colossal from GMW, the stacking rules allow you to increase damage from there using other means.

aazru
2011-09-01, 10:31 AM
Look up Imperious Command(drow of the underdark?) and take a look at obtain familiar(I'm not a fan of it but thats just me).
The obligatory Minbender/Mindsight combo. I love it <3
And Lucid Dreaming skill may add an interesting dimension to your game ;D

hamishspence
2011-09-01, 10:39 AM
Kusari-gama sounds like a Spiked Chain that does less damage. What gives?

It's a light weapon- which means it can be used with a shield, or one-handed.

Frosty
2011-09-01, 12:55 PM
It's a light weapon- which means it can be used with a shield, or one-handed.

Whoa, it's a one-handed weapon that has reach and can hit adjacent and can trip? I need to go check it out.

As for Imperious Command, how good is it really? I get that I have a chance to basically take someone out of combat for one round. It's decent, but is there anything more I can do with it without taking Zhentarim Fighter or Samurai?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-01, 01:05 PM
Whoa, it's a one-handed weapon that has reach and can hit adjacent and can trip? I need to go check it out.

Only the DMG version. The OA version is worse than spiked chain.

Draz74
2011-09-01, 01:10 PM
As for Imperious Command, how good is it really? I get that I have a chance to basically take someone out of combat for one round. It's decent, but is there anything more I can do with it without taking Zhentarim Fighter or Samurai?

The Fearsome Armor enhancement (Drow of the Underdark) lets you use Intimidate as a move action, so you can lockdown a non-immune target each round with your move action, and still attack with your standard action.

Frosty
2011-09-01, 01:22 PM
Well, I'll have 15 Cha. The armor will give +5. So I get 3 + level + 2 + 5 in Intimidate...not too bad. +2 more racial if I go changeling.

Is Skill Focus (Intimidate) worth it?

Frosty
2011-09-01, 03:49 PM
The DMG doesn't actually say what handed-ness the Kurai-gama is. That's wierd. Are light weapons automatically one-handed?

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 03:52 PM
Weapons are catagorized by their handedness. Two handed, one handed, and light. Light is more or less 1handed + special. Special indicates that it can be used with finesse without needing exceptions, it interacts with TWFing and PA in special ways, etc.

Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons
This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon, when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon.

Light
A light weapon is easier to use in one’s off hand than a one-handed weapon is, and it can be used while grappling. A light weapon is used in one hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus (if any) to damage rolls for melee attacks with a light weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or one-half the wielder’s Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. Using two hands to wield a light weapon gives no advantage on damage; the Strength bonus applies as though the weapon were held in the wielder’s primary hand only.

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.

One-Handed
A one-handed weapon can be used in either the primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or ½ his or her Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls.

Two-Handed
Two hands are required to use a two-handed melee weapon effectively. Apply 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with such a weapon.