PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Superman comics.

Tavar
2011-08-31, 02:41 PM
Okay, my Mom likes Superman comics, and her birthday is coming up. Being the nerdy son that I am, I figured I'd get her some Superman graphic novels/collections. Now, comes the problem; I'm not too well versed in the current state of Superman, so I'm not sure what are good or bad choices.

I know that she enjoys silver-age stuff, and while she doesn't hate darker things, too much of it becomes something of a burden. Like, stuff on the level of Watchmen.

Now, I have looked up a couple choices, but other suggestions are always nice. If you could give me more info(tone and such) on any of the following, that would be good.

All Star Superman, Vol 1
All Star Superman, Vol 2
Red Sun
Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel

H Birchgrove
2011-08-31, 02:47 PM
Hmm... My favourites are the John Byrne/Marv Wolfman/Jerry Ordway comics from 1987 to the early 1990's (currently re-printed as The Man of Steel volumes), and Shuster's & Siegel's original (the Superman Chronicles trades are affordable). I dunno if she will like them, though.

John Byrne, as I've learned to know, is not everyone's cup of tea (some of the stories are very heart-warming while others are quite dark while yet others are just weird). As for the original take on the character; you'll just have to appreciate Golden Age comics for what they were, in their simplicity, naivety, blunt relevance for the time period, etc.

You should IMHO at least consider the first volume of The Man of Steel, since it's the Post-Crisis origin.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-08-31, 03:15 PM
All Star Superman- If you get part of it get all of it, because its only one story. As for content the series is a love letter to Silver Age Supes. Its got numerous elements verging on the silly, but Grant Morrison manages to avoid that. Also he didn't write this one on drugs so its amazingly comprehensible. Though still a bit oddball. Its ultimate a distillation of everything Superman though. A good read for any fan.

Red Son- What if Superman had landed in the Soviet Union? Serves as a surprisingly good examination of Supes role in the world and deconstruction of what saving everybody entails. Also has some excellent supporting scenes from Luthor and Batmankoff.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel?- The (unofficial) conclusion to Silver Age Supes written by Alan Moore. Goes through just about everyone in Supes lore and gives them a conclusion. Being Alan Moore this is not to necessarily say a happy conclusion, but a conclusion. So help me I believe there's a version that come in a package deal with For the Man Who Has Everything? which is a flawless story (except I guess for having Jason Todd in it, but he's really just Robin here)

H Birchgrove
2011-08-31, 06:54 PM
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? is a very good read. Possibly the best that has been done with the "Earth-1" version of Superman.

Lord Seth
2011-08-31, 08:08 PM
Did you consider getting her The Animated Series (http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Complete-Animated-Tim-Daly/dp/B002LWJ510/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314839276&sr=8-2)? It's pretty cheap.

Tavar
2011-08-31, 10:43 PM
I don't know. She's not really into cartoons, plus I think reading the comics is more her style.

chiasaur11
2011-09-01, 02:14 AM
Superman: Secret Identity is a good one. A bit different, getting a reprint soon.

It's about, well, Superman in "Our" world. Kid named Clark Kent, because his parents are both the sort to put "Major Major Major" on the birth certificate. Naturally, this leads to him getting a lot of Superman merch every birthday, and a lot of really bad jokes every day of his life.

This also makes him kinda... hate everything about Superman. Like anyone would in his place.

And then...

Well, you can probably guess. It's remarkably good.

Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen, back when Immonen was doing good, realistic art rather than good, cartoony art.

pita
2011-09-01, 02:32 AM
I really liked Red Son.
Another great one is "It's a Bird!" by Steven Seagle and Teddy Kristiansen. It's not exactly about superman. It's about a writer called Steve who may have a rare genetic disorder that's going to kill him, and his struggles with reconciling that and writing Superman. Not exactly normal fare, but it's absolutely brilliant. I read it while having a serious fever and it haunted me.

Tirian
2011-09-01, 02:38 AM
Red Son is very highly regarded, and for good reason. Another Elseworlds story that I liked quite a bit was Speeding Bullets, which wonders how the world would have been different if the spaceship had been found by Thomas and Martha Wayne so you've got a superhero with Superman's strength and ethics but Batman's angst.

Don't know about All-Star, but it seems that people like it.

McStabbington
2011-09-01, 03:47 AM
I didn't have a very good opinion of Red Son myself, but that was more because I'm a bit more versed than the writer was in my Adam Smith (capitalism was saved because . . . Lex Luthor centrally planned the American economy? What?!), so I'll admit that it's a personal thing.

As for some really good Superman comics, let me second the suggestions for the Man of Steel reprints and All-Star Superman. The first is really the best origin story of Superman out there, because it does a great job of emphasizing his humanity and balances the Superman and Clark Kent personas in a way that I think really benefits the character. The second is a love letter to the Silver-Age Superman, but it also gets what he means to the people of Metropolis. It also contains what I'd put up as the single most heartwarming page in comic history. Your mother will know it when she sees it; I will only say that it is the perfect embodiment of everything Superman is about.

I would also add a reprint of Action Comics #775, called "What's So Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?". I include it because I think it's a great reconstruction of Superman as an ideal, and probably the closest anyone has come to directly addressing why Superman as a paragon is needed in a comic world where dark, low-powered and gritty is the preferred norm.

Killer Angel
2011-09-01, 05:01 AM
other suggestions are always nice.

Kingdom Come (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come_(comics)).
There is something scary, in the "fascist" Superman and his prison "The Gulag"...

Soras Teva Gee
2011-09-01, 11:39 AM
I don't know. She's not really into cartoons, plus I think reading the comics is more her style.

A shame as the DCAU is probably the best all around distillation of universe ever.

Tavar
2011-09-01, 11:47 AM
A shame as the DCAU is probably the best all around distillation of universe ever.
Very true. But, baby steps, you know?

There is something scary, in the "fascist" Superman and his prison "The Gulag"...
Very true. That's one of my favorite DC graphic novels, and I think we might have it.

I would also add a reprint of Action Comics #775, called "What's So Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?". I include it because I think it's a great reconstruction of Superman as an ideal, and probably the closest anyone has come to directly addressing why Superman as a paragon is needed in a comic world where dark, low-powered and gritty is the preferred norm.
Oh, that is a good one. And one that I kknow we have, along with another collection that has the story "For the Man Who Has Everything". Super-teamups, or something, I think.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-09-01, 03:39 PM
Another I remembered is "Up, Up, And Away" an arc from Action Comics by Geoff Johns. Its part of the One Year Later set from a few years ago. Specifically its about how after flying through Rao (Krypton's Sun) Supes was rendered powerless for an extended period. Fast forward a year and there is some of what Clark is doing now, while of course his powers are coming back. Includes such fun as having to leap tall buildings for once.

(Incidentially this serves as good starting point to wade into more recent comic events with Supes. Which include the Zod, Brainiac, and an extended story involving Kandor being unshrunk and full of Kryptonians. Including Supergirl's parents who run the place and round about this time her comic became a full part of the extend Superman family of comics for the mutual profit of both)

Green-Shirt Q
2011-09-01, 09:40 PM
Everybody else's suggestions: Red Son, WHttMoT, and All-Star Superman, are all really great choices which I second. There's also Secret Identity, I hear, but it's hella expensive what with it being out of print.

I'd actually recommend Superman vs. Mohammed Ali. VERY fun title and better than it sounds. My favourite Superman title aside from Red Son. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2011-09-01, 09:48 PM
I can vouch again for Red Son. But I've got another suggestion too:

You could try buying a first volume of the very first superman comics ever published. They're certainly amusing to read, just because they're so ridiculous in message and so different.

chiasaur11
2011-09-01, 10:26 PM
Everybody else's suggestions: Red Son, WHttMoT, and All-Star Superman, are all really great choices which I second. There's also Secret Identity, I hear, but it's hella expensive what with it being out of print.

Back in print soon.

IcarusWings
2011-09-02, 06:29 AM
I'll second most of the suggestions in this thread, especially Red Son.

Gnoman
2011-09-02, 06:58 AM
I always felt that The Death and Return of Superman arcs were among the best Superman stories. Problem is that the three-arc omnibus costs nearly $100.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 08:58 AM

This or Irredeemable. Yes, I am aware that Irredeemable isn't exactly Superman for copyright reasons. Feh.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-02, 09:10 AM
A pity that it's hard to find copies of Alan Moore's Supreme. (I have the 2nd volume.)

Metahuman1
2011-09-02, 05:16 PM
Wasn't there a graphic Novel for Superman were one of his bad guys with a telepathic ability exposes his secret ID to almost every person he's ever fought in the comics except for Eradicator, Darksied, Doomsday and Zod?

I remember reading one with that plot-line, I think Manchester Black was the one who outed him, but I can't remember the title on that.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-09-05, 08:33 AM
Oh hey! I looked through my comic collection and found 2 more Superman Comics I recommend!

Superman: Escape from the Bizarro World- Writing by Geoff Johns of the Blackest Night fame, this comic really brings out both the hilariousness and the tragedy of one of Superman's most ridiculous and famous enemies, Bizarro. Plus it also explores the relationship between Pa Kent and Superman in a really touching way. Highly recommended. Plus it comes with a bunch of other Silver age stories featuring Bizarro, so that's a plus.

Luthor- Sometimes known as Luthor: Man of Steel, this story takes a look at the opposite side and we see things from Luthor's point of view. It's really creepy, but in a very compelling way. Plus it feautres some of the best art, in my opinion, in comics history.

TheEmerged
2011-09-05, 03:51 PM
I forget the precise issue#, I think the story name was "For the Man Who Has Everything." Alan Moore as writer, and a surprisingly tight story. It's one of the few cases where the DCAU botched* something, actually. I know it's been included in a few reprint collections, and is worth hunting for IMO. Enough so that when my original copy was destroyed, I did in fact hunt down another copy.

I don't know if it was ever collected, but there's also quite a bit of charm to "Superman: Last Son of Earth". Essentially turns Superman's origin in reverse. Do NOT bother with the sequel, it's from the Terminator: Judgement Day school of sequels that destroyed the point of the original...

Also, mandatory seconding of the "Red Son" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" suggestions. Personally I think these two and "Man Who Has Everything" are the three best Superman stories ever told.

--------------------

*Footnote
I don't mean that in a "they changed it now it sucks" kind of way. The changes made it fit within their universe. But they blew the most important line in the story ("Burn") by making Superman angrily shout it instead of understating it the way it was written in the story.

Erts
2011-09-06, 01:43 PM
Uh, Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, and the American Way? is a classic.

All the suggestions here are great, but, why not go to a comic store and buy here the new line coming out? Written by Grant Morrison and all.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-09-06, 03:40 PM
Uh, Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, and the American Way? is a classic.

All the suggestions here are great, but, why not go to a comic store and buy here the new line coming out? Written by Grant Morrison and all.

Because there's a chance it might not be good?

Erts
2011-09-06, 07:50 PM
Because there's a chance it might not be good?

He wrote All Star Superman. Sure, some of his work can be confusing, but DC is pretty much riding on this comic being good for mass appeal, and Morrison is one of the best writers in comics today.

paddyfool
2011-09-07, 06:11 AM
Secret Identity

Seconding this.

Devonix
2011-09-07, 06:31 AM
I forget the precise issue#, I think the story name was "For the Man Who Has Everything." Alan Moore as writer, and a surprisingly tight story. It's one of the few cases where the DCAU botched* something, actually. I know it's been included in a few reprint collections, and is worth hunting for IMO. Enough so that when my original copy was destroyed, I did in fact hunt down another copy.

I don't know if it was ever collected, but there's also quite a bit of charm to "Superman: Last Son of Earth". Essentially turns Superman's origin in reverse. Do NOT bother with the sequel, it's from the Terminator: Judgement Day school of sequels that destroyed the point of the original...

Also, mandatory seconding of the "Red Son" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" suggestions. Personally I think these two and "Man Who Has Everything" are the three best Superman stories ever told.

--------------------

*Footnote
I don't mean that in a "they changed it now it sucks" kind of way. The changes made it fit within their universe. But they blew the most important line in the story ("Burn") by making Superman angrily shout it instead of understating it the way it was written in the story.

Actually Alan Moore has gone on record as saying that that episode is the only adaptation of his work that he likes.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-07, 09:12 AM
Superman: Peace on Earth by Paul Dini and Alex Ross. It's basically about Superman fighting world hunger, without Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, super-villainy etc. It feels a lot like the Christopher Reeve movies, but not as naive as the 4th one. If you can't find the single issue/GN, then you could consider the collection that also has Batman: War on Crime, Shazam: Power of Hope, Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth and two other GN's I've forgotten the titles of (they were about the JLA, IIRC) by the same creators.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-09-08, 06:30 PM
He wrote All Star Superman. Sure, some of his work can be confusing, but DC is pretty much riding on this comic being good for mass appeal, and Morrison is one of the best writers in comics today.

Grant Morrison's work is really polarizing. I personally only think that a small number of books he wrote were good like All-Star Superman. And just because DC is riding on it to be sucessful, doesn't necessarily mean it will be. You know what else DC was really hoping would be sucessful? Countdown to Final Crisis. Look how that turned out.

In any case, I think the OP was looking for something that is already out and known for certain to be good.