PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Oracle/Cleric Architype Question

Karoht
2011-08-31, 03:10 PM
Could someone suggest a good Architype for me to take on my Oracle? Our GM is allowing us to take them retroactively (because we only got certain books recently), but I have to decide tomorrow, and I have no way to get the research done because my internet access is behind a firewall. Meaning I can't access Pathfinder SRD to read up, and I can't get access to the books.

So, I'm an Oracle, I picked Lame for my weakness, I picked Life for my Revelations. I'm healing focused at the moment, I do have Channel positive energy, but my spell casting is working on control and buffs for the moment as I have wands and a staff to cast my actual healing spells with. I have a Charisma of 29 if it matters (2 from an item, 8 from a template, 1 from a book, 18 natural).

I've never been much of an optimizer, but I'm open to all kinds of options. Any suggestions on a good Archetype to fit what I'm doing would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Yora
2011-08-31, 03:15 PM
What would you rather do than playing the character as it is?

On a side note, every computer should be behind a firewall, that should not prevent the browser from viewing any sites.

That said, I just looked at the Oracle archetypes, and they are all just disappointing. They mostly just change the bonus spell list and force that you take a specific relevation from a different mystery at a given level. Really not worth it.

Karoht
2011-08-31, 03:25 PM
On a side note, every computer should be behind a firewall, that should not prevent the browser from viewing any sites.Work computer.
Site blocked.

What would you rather do than playing the character as it is?Good question. More control? More damage? More buffing? More healing?
Summoning maybe? I'd have to swap a few spells known, but there it is.
Oh, we're right on the verge of level 7.

I guess that is part of my problem. I didn't go into this class with a plan other than to heal. I should probably explore more of my options.

Also, I do get to change feats with this Archetype change, if necessary.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-31, 03:48 PM
Work computer.
Site blocked.

D20 PfSRD or other one?

This one:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes

or
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Gnaeus
2011-08-31, 03:49 PM
I like Dual Cursed Oracle.

You take an extra curse, in exchange for 2 additional revelations gained at level 5 + 13. You swap 3 of your revelation spells for different bonus spells.

More importantly, you can take 2 new revelations available only to dual cursed oracles. One of these is Misfortune. As an immediate action, force any creature within 30 feet to reroll any d20 roll, once per day per target. So you can
Make an enemy reroll an attack that would kill a party member
Make an enemy reroll a good save on a save or lose spell
Make an ally (Or, by RAW, IMO, yourself) reroll a 1 on an attack or save.

This WILL save the lives of your teammates over time.

Karoht
2011-08-31, 04:06 PM
D20 PfSRD or other one?Both.

I like Dual Cursed Oracle.
You take an extra curse, in exchange for 2 additional revelations gained at level 5 + 13. You swap 3 of your revelation spells for different bonus spells.
More importantly, you can take 2 new revelations available only to dual cursed oracles. One of these is Misfortune. As an immediate action, force any creature within 30 feet to reroll any d20 roll, once per day per target. So you can
Make an enemy reroll an attack that would kill a party member
Make an enemy reroll a good save on a save or lose spell
Make an ally (Or, by RAW, IMO, yourself) reroll a 1 on an attack or save.
This WILL save the lives of your teammates over time.
We have a Witch in the party throwing Misfortune around like it's going out of style. But still a very solid suggestion. Dual Cursed Oracle I like.
I can pick up Haunted as my second curse, which would then get me handy stuff like Mage Hand and Telekinesis (not right now but soon-ish) as SLA's if memory serves me correctly, both of which are rather handy. And extra revelations would be really cool. That would get me one extra now, I get another when I level up, and then two at 13? Holy crap. I'll have to look at other revelations and soon then. It will also change some of my plans item wise, but all in good ways.

Ooooh, I just realized I even have a fluff piece that would support me getting haunted. I've been carrying the remains of another Oracle in hopes that I can find either someone else to res her, or myself. Impatient spirit leads to haunting? Heck, I can even have the DM give this spirit some personality because the character already had one. Fun!

Gnaeus
2011-08-31, 04:15 PM
We have a Witch in the party throwing Misfortune around like it's going out of style. But still a very solid suggestion. Dual Cursed Oracle I like.

That makes it even better. Witch uses Misfortune (Witch hex, similar to but different than Oracle revelation of same name), and if target makes their will save, you just make them reroll it! The two of you can do this all day :-). For that matter, when I look at it, I don't see any reason why even after the Misfortune (witch hex) is in place, you couldn't still use Misfortune (Oracle Revelation) to make them roll a third time, if they rolled well on both their original rolls. Thats a lot of bad luck! For added joy, one of the Dual Cursed bonus spells is Ill Omen, a level one no-save spell which is like a weaker version of the Witch Misfortune hex :-).

I can pick up Haunted as my second curse, which would then get me handy stuff like Mage Hand and Telekinesis (not right now but soon-ish) as SLA's if memory serves me correctly, both of which are rather handy. And extra revelations would be really cool. That would get me one extra now, I get another when I level up, and then two at 13? Holy crap. I'll have to look at other revelations and soon then. It will also change some of my plans item wise, but all in good ways.

Unfortunately, Dual Cursed states that you don't get the benefits of the second curse, only the hindrances. You still get benefits from first curse.

Karoht
2011-08-31, 04:54 PM
That makes it even better. Witch uses Misfortune (Witch hex, similar to but different than Oracle revelation of same name), and if target makes their will save, you just make them reroll it! The two of you can do this all day :-). For that matter, when I look at it, I don't see any reason why even after the Misfortune (witch hex) is in place, you couldn't still use Misfortune (Oracle Revelation) to make them roll a third time, if they rolled well on both their original rolls. Thats a lot of bad luck! For added joy, one of the Dual Cursed bonus spells is Ill Omen, a level one no-save spell which is like a weaker version of the Witch Misfortune hex :-). Our GM is already just a little frustrated with the current level of misfortune shenanigans. I would be totally willing to troll my GM with this just a little bit more.

Unfortunately, Dual Cursed states that you don't get the benefits of the second curse, only the hindrances. You still get benefits from first curse.Oh. Huh. Maybe the Haunted curse can become my main. But I doubt it. Oh well, there are other curses, I'm sure I'll find something. Just about any other curse would be worth it for Misfortune alone.

Yaay, this sounds like ooddles of fun.

Karoht
2011-09-02, 09:24 AM
Update: Hit level 7, and had a bunch of in game reasons to be haunted, so I took it. Haunted is now my main curse, as my Lameness really started to become non-relevant. Extra spells known from Haunted (Mage hand, Ghost Sound, Minor Image, Levitate, Telekinesis in 3 levels) are really cool. Extra Revelations are going to go a long way to keeping people healed up.

It really is an awesome Archetype. The downsides actually aren't that bad, and you get quite a few decent perks to go with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. My only problem now is that I will have more Revelations than I know what to do with when I hit 13. I'll actually be hard pressed to pick 1, let alone 2 more.