PDA

View Full Version : Action Points

DonEsteban
2011-08-31, 04:06 PM
I plan to introduce action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm) (Unearthed Arcana variant) in my game. I think they're fun and more fun than the Eberron variant, but I'm a little bit concerned about the power level of some of the functions, especially Spell Recall, Metamagic Feats and Emulate Feat and maybe Activate Class Ability.

What is your experience with or opinion on UA APs? Any things I should be particularly wary of?

molten_dragon
2011-08-31, 05:00 PM
I allow action points in most of my games. There are definitely some pitfalls that you need to watch out for. You've basically identified all of them.

Spell Recall: My players tend to use this more often at low levels and less at high levels. Overall it hasn't had as much of an impact on my campaigns as I thought it might.

Metamagic feats: This is probably the single most powerful use of action points. Expect to see a lot of quickened spells being flung around during any serious fights. Also keep in mind that it means you'll start seeing high-cost metamagic (quicken, persist, maximize, etc) used a lot earlier in the game than you otherwise might. I've seriously considered getting rid of this use altogether, or just making it so it is a -1 to the adjustment of the metamagic feat instead of getting rid of the cost altogether.

Emulate feat: This one completely depends on how good your players are at finding obscurely beneficial feats. Some of the feats that can be mimicked with this are lifesavers (insane defiance) and remember that it gives spontaneous casters the ability to use metamagic feats that they don't have (which makes certain options like grappling the sorcerer much less possible). It tends to get used more as characters get higher level since they qualify for more feats.

Activate Class Ability: This one gets used occasionally, but it's had a fairly minor effect on my games. I can't think of any x/day abilities that are really game breaking if used extra times per day with this.

So overall, from levels 1-5(ish) recall spell and metamagic feats have the most effect on the game, from 5 on, recall spell starts to drop off some and emulate feat starts to see some more use. Action points will definitely have a notable effect on your game. Characters will be more powerful, and it widens the gap a bit more between spellcasters and everyone else. My players love them though, and so do I, since it means I can be nastier without having to worry so much about people dying.

Fenryr
2011-08-31, 05:01 PM
What about your players? They optimize?

If you fear too much you may restrict the usage of the action points to only affect rolls.

Greenish
2011-08-31, 05:05 PM
If you fear too much you may restrict the usage of the action points to only affect rolls.Since he didn't want to use Eberron's version (the only difference is that there are fewer things aside from rolls you can do with the points), I should think that's not what he's looking for.

Sarone
2011-08-31, 05:13 PM
I tried, briefly, to have two (was thinking about three) different levels of Action points.

Minor: Get your level (or 1/2 level, minimum 1 from level) + 6. Add a d6 to your rolls (or your AC, before the opponent reveals the result), getting a minor back if you (or the opponent) roll a natural 1 or a natural 20. More akin to Force Points from SAGA Edition. Replenishes at each level.

Moderate: Get a number of moderate points equal to your level. Go one level higher/lower on attack rolls (Fumble-miss-hit-crit threat) or +5 to any non attack roll. Replenishes at each level.

Elite: Get one per level, does not go away when you reach a new level. Instant crit on attack rolls or instant misses (not fumbles). Never gotten around to using.

To be fair, I also gave them to named opponents as well, reperesenting the fact they were named and such.

NecroRick
2011-08-31, 06:10 PM
Unfettered Heroism (free action points) + using action points to regain just extended spells = infinite action points and unlimited spells all day every day (totally bypassing the usual persist cheese)

molten_dragon
2011-08-31, 06:32 PM
Unfettered Heroism (free action points) + using action points to regain just extended spells = infinite action points and unlimited spells all day every day (totally bypassing the usual persist cheese)

That only works though if you ignore the fact that Unfettered Heroism is an Eberron spell and therefore is clearly meant to apply to the Eberron version of action points.

Darrin
2011-08-31, 09:14 PM
Any things I should be particularly wary of?

Spell recall works fine, and forces spellcasters to make some difficult decisions when they cast their spells... how much are they going to need that spell later, as opposed to needing that action point later to save their bacon?

Spending 1 AP to apply a metamagic feat on the fly is the one that you have to watch out for. It's too darned cheap. Either remove it altogether (although watch out for Sudden Metamagic via "emulate a feat") or change the cost to 1 AP per level adjustment, and make it clear that it can only be used once per spell/round/etc.

"Emulate a feat" can be powerful, particularly with clever players who love to dig through obscure sourcebooks. But mostly it got used to save a PC from certain death, rather than abused by the players to derail the plot.

"Activate a class ability" was never really an issue in my group... but if you've got any clerics trying to pump up Divine Metamagic Shenanigans with Turn Undead attempts, then you'll want to clarify when they can or can't burn APs to fuel that.

Something else to keep in mind with APs... even with a non-optimized party, the CR/encounter level system tends to underestimate the power level of PCs. With even a little casual optimization, you have to raise the CRs a bit to give the party more of a challenge. If you add APs on top of that, the party can take on (and reasonably overcome) even bigger CRs. So just be aware that "by the book" CR/EL stuff may be a complete cakewalk, and adjust the difficulty accordingly.

Godskook
2011-08-31, 09:39 PM
That only works though if you ignore the fact that Unfettered Heroism is an Eberron spell and therefore is clearly meant to apply to the Eberron version of action points.

Except Artificers already use that combo with the Eberron version of Action Points. Persist the spell, use it to cast all your buffs from wands free of charge. Particularly useful for casting spells that are hour/level, but can handle shorter duration ones too, although it partly depends on how your DM rules metamagic spells in wand form.

faceroll
2011-08-31, 09:43 PM
What book is unfettered heroism in?

Greenish
2011-08-31, 09:56 PM
What book is unfettered heroism in?RoE, page 190.

molten_dragon
2011-09-01, 05:22 AM
Except Artificers already use that combo with the Eberron version of Action Points. Persist the spell, use it to cast all your buffs from wands free of charge. Particularly useful for casting spells that are hour/level, but can handle shorter duration ones too, although it partly depends on how your DM rules metamagic spells in wand form.

Ah, never played an artificer, so I didn't realize they had other things they could do with action points.

DonEsteban
2011-09-01, 09:23 AM
Thanks for your detailed responses. More or less what I expected. I might restrict metamagic feats and spell recall, at least for some time. Spell casters have enough nice things as it were...

We've tried the Eberron version before and liked it. So my question is specifically aimed at what the UA version adds. This is an online campaign, so I tend to do more rolls (like skill checks and even saves) on behalf of the players. My concern is that using action points here might slow down the game. Any specific advice on using APs in PbP games?