PDA

View Full Version : Making Constructs without Spells

Qwertystop
2011-08-31, 08:16 PM
Is there any way to make Constructs without spells, being an Artificer, or being a Warlock?

I want to be a Living Portable Hole who spends its WBL on building constructs to send out and do its job in combat.

NNescio
2011-08-31, 08:20 PM
Is there any way to make Constructs without spells, being an Artificer, or being a Warlock?

I want to be a Living Portable Hole who spends its WBL on building constructs to send out and do its job in combat.

Does Psionics count?

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-31, 08:22 PM
I think there is an incarnum construct?? Nope, that requires a ton of spells.

Anyway, to know more about constructs, read this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

Jack_Simth
2011-08-31, 08:28 PM

Ah... you're going to be using spells, or something very much like spells, to do that. The Fiend of Posession (Fiend Folio, page 204) gets the supernatural ability to posess objects (animate them...) at PrC level 4.

Coidzor
2011-08-31, 08:41 PM

Well, a Psion Sandwich (http://thestormwindfallacy.multiply.com/journal/item/76) that focused on astral constructs might be do-able, but since the Psion Sandwich depends upon telepathy and astral construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm) is a shaper power... You'd have to be an erudite. That or spend several expanded knowledges. Then again, Astral Seed is a high level power. So that's kind of out for doing to yourself unless the game is starting at a highish level

Depending upon how the powers in question work, you could possibly do it on a portable hole, I suppose.

Of course, if you can just get the DM to handwave how you became the portable hole, you could just as easily start it off with a dedicated wright living inside of you that's your extension for creating and maintaining the constructs if you went with artificer>hordeficer.

Why are you refusing to use spells or be an artificer?

Urpriest
2011-08-31, 09:01 PM
Golem Manuals do exactly this. SRD.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-31, 09:06 PM
Golem Manuals do exactly this. SRD.

They require spellcasting to make them though...

Qwertystop
2011-08-31, 09:06 PM
I wanted to be an Intelligent Portable Hole with levels in Ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536). As far as I can tell, this is entirely allowed, as they are creatures with an Int score as long as the DM can figure out an LA for it.

The reason for no levels in a spellcasting class (yes, psionics counts), Artificer, or Warlock is that unless the game spontaneously becomes Gestalt, I can't get enough levels in the casting class and still have enough levels of Ozodrin to do much with it. This goes double if the game starts at a low level, as I would then only get one of the two ability sets for a while.

Coidzor
2011-08-31, 09:26 PM
Well, a few levels in artificer gives craft homunculus. Add in the improved homunculus feat and you can customize your homunculi to a certain extent and differentiate 'em/increase their power.

I believe it's something like 4 levels in artificer to get to the craft homunculus ability, so while it's an investment, it's not going to prevent you from doing anything interesting with your primary class..

opticalshadow
2011-08-31, 09:28 PM
with the correct craft skills, you could make a clockwork construct, which would not be magical. however it would likly take a fairly long time needing tons of customized gears and kogs, lots of craft checks. but, dedication and all.

Qwertystop
2011-08-31, 09:34 PM
You're right, Homnomculus could work. Not quite what I was thinking (Effigy swarms), but it could work.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-31, 09:36 PM
If you want to make effigy swarms... why are you throwing away caster levels? Really, that should be the LAST thing you want to do!

Qwertystop
2011-08-31, 09:45 PM
If you want to make effigy swarms... why are you throwing away caster levels? Really, that should be the LAST thing you want to do!

What do caster levels have to do with effigy swarms differently than other constructs?

Urpriest
2011-08-31, 09:54 PM
They require spellcasting to make them though...

Which is why you buy them from a spellcaster.