PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures?

Acora
2011-08-31, 10:32 PM
So, I recently helped start a group with seven of my friends, and currently, we're using chess pieces for our game pieces during combat encounters. And it works fine, but I would really like to be able to use some legitimate miniatures, especially when dealing with different sized creatures. What I'm wondering is, can anyone point me to a website or a few where I can buy individual miniatures for relatively cheap?

Ozreth
2011-08-31, 11:02 PM
Ebay, Troll and Toad and Noble Knight come to mind for the D&D miniatures.

Reaper also makes miniatures but you want those for PC's more than monsters.

Also WotC is bringing back their miniature line but with boxes of monster sets.

dsmiles
2011-09-01, 04:53 AM
Reaper also makes miniatures but you want those for PC's more than monsters.Though they do make some spectacular monsters.

Vrythas
2011-09-01, 05:03 AM
I got a bunch from ebay, although those tend to sell in REALLY large groups, for a lot of money. if you want individual stuff go to the rpglocker.com. most of the prices there are better than at Troll and Toad, but doesn't have as large a selection. my advice would be to check both sites before buying. also, Troll and Toad's shipping rates depend on the number of minis you order, whereas rpglocker has a fixed cost of $3.50 for the first, and every other mini's shipping is free. for more details you can check the site. but yeah, i had the same problem, as my DM moved, along with everyone in the party except for me and one other guy (the party had about 9 people), and the DM had most of the rulebooks (i have the first and second players handbooks) and the minis. i have minis and now i just need to get a group together...anyways, good luck getting your minis!

Tyndmyr
2011-09-01, 09:07 AM
I tend to use legos.

Occasionally, glass tokens are used for mobs of enemies nobody cares about enough to find the minis.

TroubleBrewing
2011-09-01, 09:08 AM
I tend to use legos.

I'm just finding that Legos make effing brilliant models. No, seriously. Especially for anything involving mounted characters (the horses are perfect 'large' size).

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 09:11 AM
Legos also scale to colossal+.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/296550969_5acb60949c_o.jpg

hamishspence
2011-09-01, 09:36 AM
I'm just finding that Legos make effing brilliant models. No, seriously. Especially for anything involving mounted characters (the horses are perfect 'large' size).

I tend to agree- I've played in 3.5 games with legos as models and it was fun.

Might be interesting to list just how many D&D weapons have a Lego model- from daggers to halberds.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-01, 09:51 AM

Yeah..I've got a pile of various shortie legs, and orcs/dwarves from the slightly older castle stuff. The berzerker in the last mini set was also fantastic.

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 09:55 AM
Legos, eh? I dont think I could do that because I demand my models to be character specific. Probably why I use tokens.

But I like some of the Reaper Miniatures?

hamishspence
2011-09-01, 10:08 AM
Main advantage of legos is they're customizable without any gluing- pick the face, the weapons, the appropriate gear, and away you go.

On the minus side, they can be pricey.

dsmiles
2011-09-01, 10:43 AM
Legos also scale to colossal+.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/296550969_5acb60949c_o.jpg
You win the thread.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-01, 12:15 PM
Legos, eh? I dont think I could do that because I demand my models to be character specific. Probably why I use tokens.

Ours are. Character creation includes picking bits out of the bins to best represent your character.

There are a *lot* of lego bits that have been made.

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 01:14 PM
Ours are. Character creation includes picking bits out of the bins to best represent your character.

There are a *lot* of lego bits that have been made.

I suppose I could use a Voldemort head for my Githzerai Monk... Genius!

Ravens_cry
2011-09-01, 02:30 PM
Plastic disks with art printed or drawn on card stock stuck in a slot could work, or the same folded into a tent shape with a weight in the middle could be a good way to have representative minis without a huge outlay of cash.

Sipex
2011-09-01, 02:46 PM
Existing Lego Weapons (to my knowledge):
- Daggers
- Swords
- Spears
- Greataxes/Halberds
- Greatswords
- Staves
- Wands
- Bows
- Crossbows
- Axes
- Dual Edged Axes

Lego Heroica is great for this type of thing.

beyond reality
2011-09-01, 03:37 PM
I use figure flats for most of my miniature needs. All you need is a pretty basic template for different sized figures, some cardstock, glue and google image search. There's also lots of pre-made figure flats available for download cheap.

If you've got the spare time (or like me you have a job that lets you work with your hands while you work) papercraft is also a really fun way to make scenery, vehicles, etc.

This was my player's prized possession from our last mini's heavy game, their steam-powered battle-hearse:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/oriongates/DSC03225.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/oriongates/DSC03224.jpg

Katana_Geldar
2011-09-02, 12:49 AM
Also WotC is bringing back their miniature line but with boxes of monster sets.

What? When? How? Link?

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 08:19 AM
Existing Lego Weapons (to my knowledge):
- Daggers
- Swords
- Spears
- Greataxes/Halberds
- Greatswords
- Staves
- Wands
- Bows
- Crossbows
- Axes
- Dual Edged Axes

Lego Heroica is great for this type of thing.

To this, I would like to add flails and maces.

Larger weapons, like catapults, are also a thing, of course.

TroubleBrewing
2011-09-02, 08:22 AM
So are cannons. :smallbiggrin:

Sipex
2011-09-02, 08:24 AM
Oh right!

Also, chains can be set up to be held as a weapon.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 08:26 AM
Yeah, and there's a wild variety in each type. You want to have crossed katanas sheathed on your back? There's bits for that. Sword sheathed on side? That too. Sabers? Sure, why not. Golden greatsword? It's been made.

dsmiles
2011-09-02, 11:43 AM
So are cannons. :smallbiggrin:And whips. At least for regular-sized Lego dudes.

flabort
2011-09-02, 08:48 PM
And if you want to go with non-lego brand legos (Such as certain Megabloks sets, like their Dragons series), there is some nice stuff too.
I forget which brand it is that got the contract (It may be Lego itself), but the Pirates of the Caribean sets contain muskets and pistols, as well as some swords. Probably won't see much use in a DnD game, but good for slightly more advanced games.
You can stick a "clear red stud" onto a "megaphone" piece to make a laser pistol "Wand of disintegration"...

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-05, 01:31 AM
And if you want to go with non-lego brand legos (Such as certain Megabloks sets, like their Dragons series), there is some nice stuff too.
I forget which brand it is that got the contract (It may be Lego itself), but the Pirates of the Caribean sets contain muskets and pistols, as well as some swords. Probably won't see much use in a DnD game, but good for slightly more advanced games.
You can stick a "clear red stud" onto a "megaphone" piece to make a laser pistol "Wand of disintegration"...

I actually forgot until now that lego megaphones existed, because as a youth I always made laser pistols.

I have to say, at first I thought the lego idea sounded dumb, but now it's really sounding awesome. I really wish I still had all of mine.

Katana_Geldar
2011-09-05, 01:39 AM
Can someone tell me where they heard about the new Wizards minatures and where I can get them?

Ozreth
2011-09-05, 08:50 PM
They were talked about during the WotC panel at Gencon, you can find a writeup of it somewhere. They should be available at whatever places they were before for the most part. Not sure when they are going to start selling them though.

Katana_Geldar
2011-09-05, 08:54 PM
Okay, thanks. Something to look forward to.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-06, 07:34 AM
I strongly suggest the minifig collectable lines. Sure, they're in random blisters, but at every store Ive ever been to, they'll offer to find you the one you want.

The barbarian in the last set was epic, as was the elf archer earlier. Not familiar with the newest set, yet, but there's always at least one solid fantasy mini and one great d20 M mini.

flabort
2011-09-06, 10:53 AM
I strongly suggest the minifig collectable lines. Sure, they're in random blisters, but at every store Ive ever been to, they'll offer to find you the one you want.

The barbarian in the last set was epic, as was the elf archer earlier. Not familiar with the newest set, yet, but there's always at least one solid fantasy mini and one great d20 M mini.

If you read the numbers on the barcodes, My relatives have been buying and giving away minifigs from these lines (Christmas, birthdays, Easter, ect.), and ensuring everyone who gets one gets one that they haven't gotten before, or that matches their personality, or whatever.
I don't know which minifigs correspond to which barcodes, but the same barcode will always have the same minifig. (But if you don't look at the barcode, yeah, it's random).

I got a Pharaoh, with a snake scepter. Makes an awesome wizard with a staff/wand.

Ason
2011-09-06, 11:47 AM
It's also quite possible to make your own tokens on the cheap, as NewbieDM (http://newbiedm.com/2008/11/22/newbiedm-tutorial-counters-tokens-or-pogs/) explains. If you want character customization but also the ability to spit out hordes of generic mooks when necessary, this could work for you.

pres_man
2011-09-07, 05:33 PM
Go to the toy sections of department stores, check out dollar stores as well. Look at the craft sections in places like Hobby Lobby as well.
(For example I just picked up two of these for $3.50, normally $5 but was 30% off at Hobby Lobby)
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/pres_man/apeooze.jpg
The "Gelatinous Cube", not the orc or grillon.

I know Troll and Toad has some case of HeroClix for pretty cheap (I just order a set of the Indy HeroClix for $20). The bases are a little big and they don't always fit the genre, but if you need a bunch of minis in a short time for cheap, that may be the way you want to go. I do a little rebasing with them and they tend to work fine.